Awoo.

Sonic 30th predictions

UpCDownCLeftCRightC

12 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

If I'm not impressed by tomorrow's stream then it's gonna be the final straw for me tbh, the disappointments have been building up for so long.

I feel like I'm also at that point but I am going to wait until the gameplay reveal of the next main Sonic game before I make that decision.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

Yeah I'll be done.

Well, if that's how you feel, will you be leaving the forum then?

I mean, I don't agree with your opinions, but if it pains you that much, especially if people are mainly positive about it, maybe it's not healthy to stick around something that gives you yourself, personal dread.

2 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

And now they bait us with Roger leaving then coming back, and they announce it with this timing. 

"Bait".

Okay, now that's simply an unhealthy, sanctimonious way to look at things.

I get being disappointed,  but you were promised nothing really by Roger leaving. You weren't baited or anything. This wasn't some publicity stunt that they used to pull the wool over your eyes.

It was a series of events which left a lot of people initially feeling down, eventually relieved when Roger returned.

It wasn't some promise they "baited" you with,  but drama behind closed doors that thankfully got resolved so a VA could keep his job.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

But yeah this is all really unhealthy to me, so it would be a good thing to leave it behind.

Indeed. It's clear that the franchise and this place aren't giving you the joy that it's giving other people, so perhaps going elsewhere would help you significantly. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Detective Kaito said:

I wish that drama was entirely behind closed doors so we don't see how incompetent SEGA is with managing their shit. They did this whole sentimental good bye with Roger only for him to come back, really feels like a middle finger to people who were legit looking forward to someone actually good to voice Sonic.

I think if you unironically believe a man deliberately made a show to leave and came back to voice a cartoon hedgehog in order to spite you specifically, yeah, I think you just need to move on. 

I know my recent posts have been largely whinging about the Sonic fanbase being petulant bastards, but I genuinely do not understand any of these sentiments. The fanbase is nuts but I never thought that people wholly believe in conspiracies like this.

When I heard Smith was leaving I thought "oh, that's a shame. Well, SEGA does this every often, I wonder what the new voice would be like." When he came back, I thought "oh, okay. That's fine." I really can't vibe with this "SEE???? SEGA HATES ME!!!!" Like damnSonic the Hedgehog is not that important.

Roger Craig Smith is an amazing actor, by the way.  He is "someone actually good." Better than Drummond and Griffith, to be perfectly honest. They got good, but Smith was already good. EDIT: As an aside, I see people saying things like "I hope Smith can handle a darker direction." He voiced Batman, Ezio, Captain America, Chris Redfield, but surely slightly serious Sonic the Hedgehog will be his greatest acting hurdle...

Also, trying to use this case as "SEGA's shitty management" when we know literally nothing behind-the-scenes is silly. What more do you think there is than Smith simply re-auditioning for the role? 

Aaaaaanyhooooo, I predict remasters, collections, cartoon, comics, and a teaser for the new game. 

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Fist Bump 1

On 5/22/2021 at 3:03 PM, Jango said:

I swear this time, if this guy Zippo is right, especially about Sonic 3, I'll eat my shoe, for real.

Alright let's goooo-

-wait shoot Pocket Adventure wasn't confirmed, darnit. 

Ok, as much as I am disappointed with Sonic Central, there was a shining light in it.  Sonic having a pissed off look in the Sonic Colors Ultimate trailer.  Will they actually make him more like his Lost World self?  I’m not smiling yet, but I’m liking the look of it.  Come on, keep the momentum going.  Then maybe I’ll finally be in agreement with the fan base about at least one Meta Era game.  That is, unless it already happened when Colors became less popular over the years.  Beyond that though, I pretty much have the opposite opinion of the others as the fanbase.  Well, except Shattered Crystal, Fire and Ice, and TSR.  Although that’s due to me never owning the former 2 (though I’m not that impressed from what I’ve seen of them, though that probably has to due with the extremely high pedestal I place Rise of Lyric on) and TSR seems more mixed than outright negative or positive with me on the positive side.

5 minutes ago, Miles Storzillo said:

Ok, as much as I am disappointed with Sonic Central, there was a shining light in it.  Sonic having a pissed off look in the Sonic Colors Ultimate trailer.

That was in the original Colors CGI trailer, too.

3 minutes ago, Razule said:

That was in the original Colors CGI trailer, too.

(Facepalm)

I was really hoping we’d get Switch ports of Adventure 1 and 2. I have a feeling Sega perceives that their brand would be damaged by a new wave of harsh reviews. 
I dunno. I just see myself finally getting the Chao emblems if I could pick up and play a little SA2 before bed every night. Shame. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm!!  It would seem that this anniversaryday is maybe one in and on which the, you know, game that theoretically has been in development via the present days' version of the Mania/Sonic Team combined effort, would be revealed, especially if (now with both the major new game and Origins being released next year) this one might be ready for release within the year?? 

Whatever this game would be, it would require very little promotional momentum, that is to say, if they did create a new game that was up to their own standards, it would be at least as good as Mania and most likely an improvement in many ways! 

So this is the unique juncture now in between "Why would that not have been announced or hinted at yet?" and "Why would they announce that particular new game in any other way other than as a surprise on the anniversary day itself??"

edit: !!   It is clearer now that any sort of game promotion would have not fit with the amazing concert :) :)  I do think that the second game is eventually going to happen and i suppose where there has only been one Sonic Central so far, it can basically be announced, released, etc, any time during the next year!

I do now remember that there are two more particularly special anniversaries during the 30th year which are the 5th anniversary of the reveal of Sonic Mania, and also the 4th year since it was released!

On 5/27/2021 at 12:51 PM, Detective Kaito said:

They did this whole sentimental good bye with Roger only for him to come back, really feels like a middle finger to people who were legit looking forward to someone actually good to voice Sonic.

This is is more than unhealthy mate.

If you feel like you were personally shat on by Roger's departure to the extent to which you think of it as "bait" - as if someone's career is a mere tool by which SEGA can torment you specifically, then I'm sorry but you need some perspective.

If you thought that Roger's departure was a factor that has any tangible effect on the quality of Sonic games, then that's just naïve. Doesn't matter who voices Sonic really, what matters is the end result. They could have replaced Roger with Ryan Drummond and the game and its plot could still be a pile of shit. Equally, Roger could retain his role and the game could come out as the next Mario Galaxy. 

So perhaps you are right. Maybe you're not really a fan of this franchise any more. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

4 hours ago, Scar said:

This is is more than unhealthy mate.

If you feel like you were personally shat on by Roger's departure to the extent to which you think of it as "bait" - as if someone's career is a mere tool by which SEGA can torment you specifically, then I'm sorry but you need some perspective.

If you thought that Roger's departure was a factor that has any tangible effect on the quality of Sonic games, then that's just naïve. Doesn't matter who voices Sonic really, what matters is the end result. They could have replaced Roger with Ryan Drummond and the game and its plot could still be a pile of shit. Equally, Roger could retain his role and the game could come out as the next Mario Galaxy. 

So perhaps you are right. Maybe you're not really a fan of this franchise any more. 

Yeah I doubt this was ever some publicity stunt. Though that being said, one has to wonder some of the behind the scene stuff that happened that caused the initial departure. I have to assume that they had someone in mind to take Roger's place, who could it have been? And why the backtracking?...Or it was simply that his contract ended and he needed to re-audition for the role again. Either way, we probably won't know what happened behind the scenes for a looooong time.

3 hours ago, Zoomzeta said:

Yeah I doubt this was ever some publicity stunt. Though that being said, one has to wonder some of the behind the scene stuff that happened that caused the initial departure. I have to assume that they had someone in mind to take Roger's place, who could it have been? And why the backtracking?...Or it was simply that his contract ended and he needed to re-audition for the role again. Either way, we probably won't know what happened behind the scenes for a looooong time.

Its business. It doesn't really matter. Perhaps negotiations for pay went south. Perhaps Roger himself wanted to leave, and decided he wanted to come back. Perhaps Sega wanted to look at a new cast and after looking around they thought Roger was a better fit. Who knows.

At the end of the day, the reasons are opaque to us and doesn't make a difference to anything in the grand scheme of things.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Absolutely 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm actually hype for this lol, more than Colors Ultimate, it's a good game, it's obviously not just a good music album, and it deserves so much better in terms of online crowd and content. Please SEGA give it a chance to shine!

I'm secretly hoping for Tangle & Whisper but it is likely just a couple of Classic characters and Green Hill tracks lol, don't screw it up SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 1

What I would say is TSR already got a re-release edition with the Totaku Sonic figure randomly bundled in.

Realistically I think this will be TSR with some sort of 30th anniversary branded cardboard slipcase and maybe a small bonus like an anniversary emblem pin. It's relatively low-cost and it gives them an excuse to push a game that quickly faded from the spotlight on its initial release. 

I really doubt this is going to result in any new content in the game itself but I'd be happy to be proven wrong, I definitely enjoyed the game for what it was.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the concept of TSR, and it plays real smooth and has a banging soundtrack. But a lackluster a story campaign, no unlockables (well... no interesting unlockables) with a lot of the tracks being reused from the 1st two games made it difficult to justify its existence IMO.

If they're gunna release this seriously, they need to increase the volume of content to get the players interested. The focus on "Sonic Only" branded content didn't need to harm this game when they dropped the Allstars from the tag - but they really undelivered on this potential when it could have been something special (like CTR:NF's approach for example). 

Now if it was Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformered 30th Anniversary Edition Remastered (quite a mouthful!) ...I'd be in!

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if this means another Sonic Central is coming to advertise this, or they'll just drop a trailer?

• Thumbs Up 2

If they double the character roster and add more tracks, I think I'll finally pick this one up.

• Fist Bump 1

The only way this'll be interesting is if they add the Chaotix as a proper team. Not sure who'd take Vectors place on Team 06 but anyone's better than him.

• Thumbs Up 1

They could add Marine, Sticks, Mighty and Ray as one unit (I mean 4 Chao count for one racer), or they could add someone like Honey the Cat, or even bring back Cream and put her in that spot. Blaze and Cream were already shown to be friends in the original Rush games.

• Thumbs Up 2

We fucking need the rest of the team Chaotix, man. AFAIK, you can team up with anyone in arcade mode, ain't it? We already have Vector, so just add Charmy and Espio and we're game. They won't rewrite the story anyways, which means new characters don't have to come in trios. And if they wanna do some deep cuts, bring Tikal and Chaos 0 aswell. 

• Thumbs Up 2