Awoo.

A new sonic riders

Saajix

I enjoyed the first sonic riders. The mechanics and gameplay were solid and enjoyable.

I would love to see a new a sonic racer game that brought back extreme air gear. After playing sonic team racing, and all star racing transformed. Taking what they have done with both games and adding that to sonic riders and rebooting the series would be something great to see happen.

Scrap the story mode. Its a racing game. We could have a large roster of characters, a variety of vehicles and customizations, a multitude of various mechanics from fuel management to ring leveling, unique powers, and a large amount of tracks.

If there were a story mode id make it a race against time as egg man tries to alter history with the chaos emeralds( a throw back plot to a very old sonic episode). Eggman is found teaming up with robotnick(forgive me for the spelling)

So it opens and egg man already has the chaos emeralds, now lets take a page from the sonic R game for windows 98 and dragonball z after the emeralds use they scatter and go dormant. There are seven emeralds to collect lets add seven grand prix containing 4 maps one emerald per prix hidden on one of the 4 maps. And even once found you must still place first in that prix overall.

That right there is 28 maps to race on

Then lets add a token to each map, collecting these tokens and placing first will trigger a challenger event at the end of that prix. Giving us 7 unlockable characters plus super sonic and super shadow from just racing in the story.

Replayability, super sonic and super shadow are one time use transformation once the emeralds are collected. Depending on who you use to collect the final emerald will determine you options available when using chaos control.

Another way to unlock characters would be missions and time challenges.

For the next segment of story, you have the emeralds and beat the first 7 grand prix, now you use these to go stop eggman who is now teamed with robotnik, you must beat 4 more prixs each one has its own rival. The first is metal tails and rogue. The second will have metal knuckles and silver. The third will have metal sonic and shadow.  For the showdown the last prix will select 4 maps from a list of 28. These maps are remixed and altered. You can unlock the remix maps by replaying story mode.

I think we can take a variety of things from riders and transformed. First the pathing: having both the air gear and transforming vehicles both will need their own routes on each map. Things like breakables, flying loops, and rails to grind, and places to transform from car to boat to plane for alternative routes.

It would also need mission, time trials, custom grand prix with custom rules and limitations, online tourney, offline tourney, local 4 player support, 32 player LAN support

Tons of characters, and vehicle customizations, air gear, maps, and hella good graphics.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'd love that Riders and Riders Zero G were awesome, and Jet is awesome, and yeah the OG Riders was great because it was a game you had to learn, and there was so much you could do, Zero G kinda dialed back the Learning Curve but still was relatively unique, and then Free Riders ruined everything

• Thumbs Up 3

• 5 weeks later...

Would love to see another game in the series but realistically, it's not going to happen. The reputation has been destroyed and I just don't think SEGA would take a chance on it. Its a shame as it could have turned into a decent series if it had been handled differently.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Riders is dead. Sega found more success with the Sumo Digital Sonic Racing games, which are much less unique but more accessible to players.

People say that Free Riders killed the series, but I think Zero Gravity did it first. ZG is not a bad game, but it removed and changed a lot of things about the original game instead of refining or improving it, even the unique artstyle of the original Sonic Riders was gone.

If anything, the only Sonic racing game I want to see is like a foot racing game with the boost gameplay style maybe.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't image it's ever coming back with the current direction of Sonic Team/Sega; a lot of the spinoff stuff that Riders came from have been culled over the past decade and Free Riders' failure likely ensured they wouldn't even think about making another one. And while the first Riders did sell decently, it and the series overall never got the best reviews. The ASR games didn't sell quite as well as the original, but they got significantly better reception.

My personal wish is that the next Boost game (assuming another is made) is reworked into the racing genre and takes a copious amount of notes from the first Riders in the process. Mechanics like upgrading character abilities with your ring count during races, speed/flight/power-specific shortcuts, and performing tricks off ramps to increase your gauge/access shortcuts, among other things, would fit the Boost gameplay perfectly with some needed tweaks. I feel it would also help flesh out the existing gameplay that is there immensely and really help further accentuate it as a unique fun racer.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Riders games definitely had a very alluring and legitimately cool, unique style all its own. You compare the style and atmospheric design of those first two Riders games, with their futuristic looking menus and sound-effects as well as the more angular design of the characters,  to Team Sonic Racing's more mundane, generic kart-racer vibe and its hard to argue something beautiful hasn't been lost.

It's also a shame because despite this I still do actually prefer the All-Stars Racing games, including Team Sonic Racing, just because I prefer that style of gameplay. I found it more fun and the third game's addition of the character banter really latched onto me. I'm a sucker for that shit. Will never turn it off, not even in something like Forces where the dialogue is significantly less interesting.

Were they to ever return to the Riders games, I'd appreciate it a lot of they could somehow make playing those games feel like you were playing an All-Stars Racing game. To some that might ruin the point but not for me. 

If that isn't possible, then I'd then just opt for giving the next Team Sonic Racing or whatever it's going to be a style and design that feels more unique. The SEGA stuff from the first two games did a lot to help those games breathe in something interesting but when you shave it down to just Sonic and you don't do anything but have generic checkerboard patterns and nothing that really stands out it just comes off more bargain bin Nickelodeon racer to me.  

I mean, thank God the music was fucking awesome. It really beefed up those generic looking menus but the music can only do so much. 

If we could take the best elements of Riders and mash them together with the best elements of the All-Stars games, we'd have something magical on our hands, I think. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/23/2020 at 4:39 PM, PhoenixtheJackal said:

I'd love that Riders and Riders Zero G were awesome, and Jet is awesome, and yeah the OG Riders was great because it was a game you had to learn, and there was so much you could do, Zero G kinda dialed back the Learning Curve but still was relatively unique, and then Free Riders ruined everything

Wow I sound really dumb here, to say it better, the Riders Games were so Unique, it's the only racing game I can think of with a learning curve so you actually get significantly better not just slightly, and the Style was on point, TSR, and ASRT are so generic and not that fun, but Riders is so fun it's challenging, it's Skill based, and the style of the First Games intro was awesome looking, and the Babylon Rogues are awesome and I want more of them, so yeah I want another Riders Game that's like the OG one, and I also want a 3rd Storybook Game but that's unrelated.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to see Sumo Digital's attempt at a Sonic Riders title. Transformed had more complicated mechanics compared to other kart racers. They would probably nail it

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 10:10 AM, Stritix said:

I'd like to see Sumo Digital's attempt at a Sonic Riders title.

It'll be interesting how they will write the Babylon Rogues if they do make it. In what way could they go with the story?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 11:19 AM, Styx_Linoone said:

It'll be interesting how they will write the Babylon Rogues if they do make it. In what way could they go with the story?

I mean personally I think the story should just be simple like the 1st Riders game was, even Zero Gravity was simple however way one feels about the added Babylon Rogues origins from being descendants of genies to even further back aliens. 

I personally thought the dialogue in Free Riders was hilarious with the trash talking (similar to the funny roasting in Dragon Ball Fighterz) just that they picked still pictures instead of animating the characters which would have given it extra effect in giving the characters life. Knuckles got some laughs out of me in that game.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 8:27 PM, SonicLegends said:

I mean personally I think the story should just be simple like the 1st Riders game was, even Zero Gravity was simple however way one feels about the added Babylon Rogues origins from being descendants of genies to even further back aliens. 

I personally thought the dialogue in Free Riders was hilarious with the trash talking (similar to the funny roasting in Dragon Ball Fighterz) just that they picked still pictures instead of animating the characters which would have given it extra effect in giving the characters life. Knuckles got some laughs out of me in that game.

There's also how Amy, Shadow, and Rouge were pretty dickish.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, DabigRG said:

There's also how Amy, Shadow, and Rouge were pretty dickish.

I mean the latter two pretty much are no surprise. Amy can get feisty too, but most of her comments were towards her own teammate Vector because she thought he wasn't racing seriously.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

If Sonic Team and Sega were to go back to the Rider's formula and make new game for all of these Riders' fans out there (It's been 10 years since Free Rider effectively killed the spin-off series), It'd intrigue me how they will incorporate new features into the game while also taking what was liked about the first two Riders games and expanding on them.

Ever since Free Riders (and maybe ZG), Jet has seen some usage in that he's stuck in Olympic purgatory. He's probably the only spin-off addition that springs to mind when we discuss Olympic usage, though you can't deny the soccer event in Rio 2016 was a nice distraction. We can also throw Wave in there as she was the BMX guest char for the same game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I had a fun time with riders, but looking at how trends are, I can't help but have the distinct feeling that if we did get a new riders game, it'd be a mobile one.
Looking at how Sonic is doing in term of sales, the only people who would buy the game if it were released would be children or older fans like everyone on this forum, and I think in the long run Sega would probably rather pour money into something that's a guaranteed profit. 
I dunno, I'm probably being a downer.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 7 months later...
On 4/23/2020 at 12:45 PM, Elseb said:

Would love to see another game in the series but realistically, it's not going to happen. The reputation has been destroyed and I just don't think SEGA would take a chance on it. Its a shame as it could have turned into a decent series if it had been handled differently.

Sadly this closes the case for Riders 3. I know this riders series was pretty much a flop but as @Kuro said

On 6/15/2020 at 3:09 PM, Kuro said:

I had a fun time with riders, but looking at how trends are, I can't help but have the distinct feeling that if we did get a new riders game, it'd be a mobile one.

Now we have Sonic Forces Speed Battle and the Babylon Rouges are all featured on it so i guess you sorta got your wish

A new Riders game would be a fun idea! But yeah as others said the likelihood of it happening is very minimal. 

Racing games when are good are usually the best games ever to play forever. For example, I play SASRT at least once in a while despite the game being really old, and I'm constnyl seeing movement towards this title. Sonic has everything to make a new cool riders racing game. I just think the gameplay needsto add more power=ups to use against enemies so it can catter to a wider kart-genre-audience. But make it easy to understand, hard to master.  

Also, a question for those who played Free Riders: Do you think if the game had a control option for playing on Joystick, the game could be considered good? Because I see a lot of people criticizing the game for its control (which is fine), but not much about the rules gets commented. Is the racing and Extreme Gear's rules better than Sonic Riders/ SR Zero gravity? Are the tracks any good? If instead of a Riders 4 we get a Sonic Riders Free Riders DELUXE for all platforms, would it be any good?