Awoo.

Moments of Pride and Shame of Being a Sonic Fan

Solister

So, I'm going to write this very fast as I'm a bit hurried, have a test tomorrow and because, like, other 6 topics I was planning never exit from a concept. There isn't much to describe from the title: Sometimes being a Sonic fan really give us proud to hoist the blue hedgehog flag, other times we feel better isolated at our bedroom and so, I want to talk about these moments: When did you felt proud of being a Sonic fan, and when did you get more skimpy of saying you used to enjoy Sonic games?

Pride: Sonic Mania Announcement/Release

001.jpg

Starting up with a basic one. I think there wasn't anyone, who, liking or not the classic era, disliked seeing Sonic gaining mainstream attention again. The hype for Mania was so huge that many still argue are the best Sonic game ever or at least the best one since the times of Adventure/Classic Era.

Shame: Sonic Boom Fail

Sonic%20Bum.PNG?1415908456

Sonic Boom always seemed to me a wrong project from the begging. It's funny to see how much the design seems to matter for Sonic and a weird one reminds of complete disasters. It's not an exception here. With the exception, maybe, from the cartoon, almost everything branded with Sonic Boom flopped in a way or another.

Pride: Sonic Movie Redesign

Sonic-the-Hedgehog-redesign-1280x720.jpg

Going to a very recent one. It was a very pleasant surprise when the world knew their reaction to the Sonic Movie initial design worth for something. Now we just didn't receive a way better design as well the best selling videogame movie and a lesson many producers should learn: pay attention to your fans.

Shame: Initial Movie Design Fail

2019-05-03-image.jpg

But before all the pride, we felt a strong shame. The initial movie design. Of course, we all love to see things we like trending and even people who aren't that interested talking about the subject, it isn't a lie this happened for Sonic, though not for a good reason. Fortunately, as mentioned in the item above, this leads to something pretty cool.

Pride: The Good Sonic Games

Sonic-Generations-Sky-Sanctuary-Zone-Scr

So, a very simple concept here. There isn't something very pleasant then you take a good selection of your songs and play them in order on a playlist, I'm not sure about you, but this definitely relives my soul and gives me a reason to live. It ain't much different from games. If we list some awesome Sonic games, you'll never think again about playing a game from a certain fat, red wearer with a mustache plumber.

Shame: The Bad Sonic Games

58f717cc9b27c71992a7fd842450185d03914291

But for Sonic, almost every good game, there is its bad game. I'm likely sure if you're forced to play a game like Sonic '06, Sonic Boom Rise of the Lyric, Sonic Labyrinth or even some not that bad like Lost World and Forces, I'm sure you'll think twice for playing a Sonic game.

Pride: The Sonic Music

28-286899_sonic-mania-sonic-forces-sonic

If there's something most, if not all, Sonic fans agree is that, even if their new game be the worst possible, its soundtrack will be enjoyable. And so that's something which we usually are very proud about. Even not so strict to Sonic music anymore, I'm sure I must thank their producers for liking what I like today.

Shame: Sonic Social Media

the-official-sonic-the-hedgehog-twitter-

You can even like your social media to keep up to date with your favorite new games/artists/friends announcements but we do need to agree that once we already believed the Sonic Social Media team went off the limits. Yeah, I do laugh with most of their posts, but I must say I get angry (and many times shamed) with some of their content. Specially thinking they could use that time to do a draw a nice artwork for example, for this, bonus pride.

Pride: The Good Sonic Social Media Content

sonic-mania-adventures-5_capa.jpg

Not intended to be in the topic but I just remembered that while writing the last phrase of the last point. We definitely should be thankful that SEGA once in a while delivers us some quality content and for free with things like Sonic Mania Adventures and Team Sonic Racing Overdrive, things which many video games producers aren't even thinking.

So that's it. A pretty basic topic just to keep active here. Which are some of the moments you felt the most pride for our blue hedgehog? And when did would prefer to live under a rock for 50 years rather than admit you're a Sonic fan?

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, i once accidentally called my younger brother "Tails". That was kind of a moment of shame...

On a more relevant note, I haven't really felt significant pride in the Sonic franchise or in being a Sonic fan since the early 00's. Ever since then, the bad parts of the franchise have pretty much always overshadowed the good. The closest thing to a truly proud moment would be the release and critical success of Sonic Mania.

I have great pride in simply being part of the (fanatically) loyal fanbase of such a diverse and enduring franchise and usually get a great feeling whenever Sonic fans unite to celebrate something (Sonic Mania, Sonic Generations a while back, even if it's disliked now, the Sonic Movie's redesign and eventual success). But I also feel ashamed whenever the fanbase starts to go a bit too far in its fanatical nature (I've recently lots of "Sonic fans" on reddit flexing Sonic's box office success over Detective Pikachu, even downvoting people like me who point out that DP was good and faithful without needing a kick from the fans) and it disheartens me to see the sheer amount of venomous hate the franchise gets from so many of its supposedly loyal fans too. Sure the franchise has its ups and downs but there's no need to either worship it to the point of demeaning others or on the other hand despising every little thing about it and treating it like trash and a "shadow of its former self".

Personal Shame:

When I was around five or six, I had the idea to try and spin-dash up a flight of stairs.

Went about as well as you’d think...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1