Awoo.

SPECULATION - Sonic's surprising new format of news dump (April 2020)

Red Hot Jack

Confirmed, likely a glorified livestream, but with info, new announcemenets with bits and teases revealed there, plus special guests, hilarious memes and ??? content.

I think this was the best option, for safety obviously, and the web is a very... active place for Sonic, so, why not?

Now, time to speculate what "content" we are getting, let's try this one again...

+ A new cartoon mini-series, composed of 10-13 eleven minutes episodes maybe, I doubt it's a full production but I'd love to see it, based on Modern Sonic and with dialogues, but in the style of the shorts, so... hilarious, expressive and full of personality, very American based. I say Modern for the dialogues and the fact that it's more rich of characters and worlds.

+ New Arc & Duo comic mini for IDW, literally that, the introduction of the new arc in the main comic, and a 4 part mini-series book with 2 protagonists, an unlikely duo but this time of game characters, personally I'd love to see Tails & Big, it's random but it could work.

+ One more remix, based on something obscure perhaps, and new music is always cool.

+ Mobile game updates: (Only) Sonic at the (now likely cancelled) Tokyo Olympic Games.

+ A new game announced, a Classic title, follow-up to Mania's tradition, with playable Amy and Honey, all-original zones, more villains, and this one is wishful thinking but I want to see Scratch, Grounder, Coconuts, Breezie as bosses, as well as the actual Hooligans and Silver Sonic. Eggman is apparently absent. And this would be the main announcement.

+ Obligatory "Final mysterious surprise ?????????"

Now, your turn to speculate. 

Btw, I created this thread because the other prediction one is for Sonic's 30th anniversary specifically, this one is for #Sonic2020.

I...honestly don't know why they can't stream the reveals they were going to make this month on the 20th anyway. 

I mean I get they can't do SXSW it sucks but it's understandable but why wait until April? 

At first I was wondering how the tweet was Sonic related but then it clicked. Spoiler for those who might have missed it.

Spoiler

"ripple effects" and "huge splashes", like Chaos known for being made of water and the plot of Sonic Adventure 1, thus adding more fuel to the SA1 remake rumors.

• Thumbs Up 2

a new SA1 remake rumor? just a normal saturday in the sonic fanbase.

i expect the following:

new updates for mobile titles like sonic dash or sonic forces: speed battle

new merchandise of some sort

judging by the panel's april premiere, a home media release date for the movie

here's a few more farfetched things - these could still happen but they're not as likely as the above:

new animated mini-series

new mainline info, be it a full reveal or simply a cryptic teaser

• Thumbs Up 1

Based on what I've been seeing and have watched people speculate on here's what I think we'll get:

-Adventure Remake as 2020 game (this one is so obvious it hurts)

-New cartoon tease/title with a "in production" status.

-We're obviously going to get some new merch announcements.

-A teaser for the 2021 game or maybe a "tune in at SDCC or E3 to see our next Modern Sonic title".

-Sonic and Joker crossover

-Mania 2 (probably not called that though) releasing early next year like what happened in 2017.

-Maybe an announcement of a spin-off comic.

-Possibly addressing sequel movie news.

E3 will get cancelled due to the Coronavirus just like SXSW. If E3 does get cancelled there will never be an E3 again. 

5 hours ago, Betz said:

-Mania 2 (probably not called that though) releasing early next year like what happened in 2017.

Random curiosity. Why would any game done by the same group of people dare call itself anything other than Mania two. 

That name has so much positivity affixed to it that it would just be bad marketing to not attach another game to it at the hip. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, blueblur98 said:

judging by the panel's april premiere, a home media release date for the movie

I guess it depends if it's aimed at the US specifically as the movie was supposed to open in Japan in late March before getting delayed because of the virus. In other words, home video there would be a lot later than the US so the Japan stream would be behind on that. Although I'm guessing it will be in English or translated considering the US account is the one who tweeted about it and originally going to be here too.

5 hours ago, Betz said:

Honestly even as an Adventure fan I'm not sure if I would want that to be the only 3D Sonic title next year. A lot of people want Sonic to move forward. Although if it lead to them looking in detail on what made Adventure work and learning from that, maybe it would help? I'll probably have more to say once we see the nature of it. I have various questions like will it be a 1:1 remake or boost based or something else? Will the original voice cast be gone completely? Will Chaos look more like in Generations and Forces? Will Station Square expand, stay the same, or be scrapped as a hub world completely? And so on.

29 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Random curiosity. Why would any game done by the same group of people dare call itself anything other than Mania two. 

Sonia Mania was called that as a "by fan for fans" effect, if they changed the staff from that (which seems at least partly likely based on other comments), or wanted to do a brand new title instead of half and half, they would probably want a new name to go with it. I think as long as the core is there people will still be interested in it.

Why do we believe that tweet? I can see it only adds evidence to the SA1 remake rumor, but is it reliable? I'm kinda out of the loop.

Anyway, my stance on the SA1 remake... as cool as it would be, and necessary 'cause the game aged really badly, I want something new! Please, as a main release I'm really not in the mood for a remake, it sounds so safe and adds very few things, and worse yet, if there are big changes you know fans will get mad. It's a lose - lose situation, either it's conservative (and boring) or it's provocatively different for people.

If it was for me? I would make a Mania out of the Adventure series, remake 2 stages from SA1, 2 from SA2, 3 brand new zones, all-original level design for EVERY zone including the remixed ones. New story, Sonic + Shadow + Avatar playable, or if we want to use the old alternate playstyles, I'd make Sonic + Knuckles + Eggman as it was meant to be in SA2 originally, although having Shadow as a boss would be a bummer, and not using the Avatar, the only decent idea from Forces as a continuation would also be a missed opportunity for an Adventure-style game, and that's what I want, a new Adventure-style game & celebration of the SA saga.

Because a SA1 remake would have you know... Big, Amy, Gamma's gameplays, ehh, 7 stories, It's really not what I want from a Sonic game, as cool as it would be to reintroduce the Adventure feels, plots, Sonic's stages and why not, even Knuckles's gameplay into the mix.

I wouldn't mind an Adventure Remake but I absolutely don't want it to be the 30th Anniversary game. Maybe a hold over game for this fall and then next year is the 30th but I would hate for that to be what they use to celebrate the anniversary.

I would be cool with another Whitehead Classic adventure just for the love of all that's holy make it all original levels.

I would also lose it if they announced a new cartoon. It's been so long since Boom ended that I think it's time we got one. Honestly I wouldn't mind if it was done by Ian JQ and had a kinda TMNT 2012/Ducktales 2017 kind of feel where it mixed in a bunch of different elements from the franchises history.

Again....remaking SA1 would not be a small feat. Dont know why people think SEGA would have the time and resources to do that AND another game for the 30th in 2021. It's likely one or the other. A second title would be a 2D, or some other low resource title.

If there is a remake, I'd be shocked to see anything other than SA1 at this point. It makes the most sense. I think I'd prefer a brand new title tbh, but seeing a really polished SA1 would make me happy. I'd prefer both over another boost installment...although I'm not sour on another boost game if it can be on the level of Gens. I'd play that again definitely.

Still think the best option going forward (as a soft reboot) is to make a very classic inspired game in full 3D. Ala Sonic Utopia, something similar to that concept. But we'll see. I am looking forward to when we get more news.

If its Forces 2, count me out.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

Again....remaking SA1 would not be a small feat. Dont know why people think SEGA would have the time and resources to do that AND another game for the 30th in 2021. It's likely one or the other. A second title would be a 2D, or some other low resource title.

What if it's switched around? A low-budget 2 3/4D game like Forces, and then the Adventure remake for the 30th anniversary. Adventure as the main project, while Boost 5 is filler before the real game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I expect a Sonic Adventure remake but I don't really want one at this point.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Razule said:

What if it's switched around? A low-budget 2 3/4D game like Forces, and then the Adventure remake for the 30th anniversary. Adventure as the main project, while Boost 5 is filler before the real game.

Sure, that's not philosophically different than what I'm suggesting really. A low budget title and then a bigger one which fills the "30th anniversary" slot. Can package that however they want, technically neither Mania nor forces were released on the 25th anniv. All I'm saying is, SA1 remake cant be your low budget title or else it wont be worth releasing because the game has many problems that need fixing and updating for 2020.

I will say it would be catastrophically stupid of SEGA to not follow up on Mania in some capacity, even if it's not a direct sequel. It doesnt even have to happen now but if theres not some clear announcement that that's coming over the next year or so, I just wouldn't believe it.

• Thumbs Up 2

A SA1 remake is probably good from a business standpoint but I really have no interest in it. In fact I don't want it to happen.

The only good thing it could potentially bring about is Sonic Team coming to learn how to make Adventure style games. That could possible be good...maybe... I dunno though.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Plasme said:

A SA1 remake is probably good from a business standpoint but I really have no interest in it. In fact I don't want it to happen.

The only good thing it could potentially bring about is Sonic Team coming to learn how to make Adventure style games. That could possible be good...maybe... I dunno though.

I'm in a middle position. I think it could be a good thing, if it reminds ST of what they were trying to do in the first place back in '97, which is to nail the core gameplay in 3D. But if it's just going to be a coat of paint with the Forces gameplay underneath (very real possibility) it's a bad idea and I dont want it. In fact, I think even if they were to try to recreate the original from scratch it'd need a lot of work for 2020. But I assume they know this, even Iizuka has confirmed this recently by saying he would want to update and fix the issues with the game....but I dont fully trust they totally know what that means yet. Not yet. So I'm stuck in the middle. 

• Thumbs Up 2

If they remade SA1 it'd likely be pretty bad, but then the fans will just port all the stage assets and good content to some engine that plays better.

• Thumbs Up 3

17 hours ago, Betz said:

Based on what I've been seeing and have watched people speculate on here's what I think we'll get:

-New cartoon tease/title with a "in production" status.

-We're obviously going to get some new merch announcements.

-A teaser for the 2021 game or maybe a "tune in at SDCC or E3 to see our next Modern Sonic title".

-Sonic and Joker crossover

-Maybe an announcement of a spin-off comic.

-Possibly addressing sequel movie news.

-Adventure something is the most likely the case. "It's interesting to wonder how outward the ripple effects on these huge splashes get" is obviously implying something involving water in the future. He may has well have just said "C'mon Sega, you big drip, where you going?!". Either that or it'll be some type of game that's highly aquatic themed or a brand new SA3 game involving Chaos in some way.  I'm really hoping it isn't the latter. 

What I find unlikely is that the game will come out in 2020. A game like that would almost definitely be a 2021 release and would be Sega's main 3D focus (unless they find a way to shove 2.5D in it). If Sega remakes Adventure 1, I doubt it'll be like how 343 studies remastered the Halo games, meaning it won't just be a new coat of paint on the same old code. It'll probably have several new alterations if not completely remade from the ground up, coding and all. That may be for the best, the original game isn't exactly bug-free. Eitherway, Chaos will be involved (Chaos the character and chaos from the fans reaction lol). I find it quite ironic how Sonic Forces did absolutely nothing with Chaos and now he's probably going to be a big focus in the next game. 

-New cartoon is likely as well. I remember there was a 4chan leak some weeks back that said a new cartoon was in the making and it showed some rough sketches. It's probably BS, but with 4Chan, I don't even know anymore. 

-Obviously we are getting new merchandise, probably tied in specifically to the new games.

-Now, you see, I really, REEEEAAAAALLLLLY doubt we are getting two new 3D sonic games just within the span of just one year, even if one is a remake. If one is released in 2020 (doubt it) and the other in 2021, I don't think Sega has the resources to develop two big 3D games unless they decide to make both of them suck due to them obviously having to partition what resources they have. A Sonic Adventure remake is by no means small, it's quite a tall order. Sega isn't Nintendo, Sonic Team isn't that talented anymore, they don't have the talent or money to handle all of that.

-Mania 2, or something Mania, is definite. We're getting more 2D Classic Sonic. This is another reason why I doubt we're getting two big 3D sonic games. This isn't 2005-2007 where it was easier to release multiple Sonic games at once. Games take forever to make now and are incredibly costly to make, Sonic or otherwise, compared to a decade earlier. And just because Mania is 2D and sprite based doesn't mean it's by any means easy to make. 

-I wouldn't be surprised if we're getting a new comic.

-New movie is very likely, but I don't think it'll be announced yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it was announced there however, I just think it's a little too early.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

4 hours ago, McGroose said:

-New cartoon is likely as well. I remember there was a 4chan leak some weeks back that said a new cartoon was in the making and it showed some rough sketches. It's probably BS, but with 4Chan, I don't even know anymore. 

Yeah I'd say that was pretty fake. The 4Chan post said information was supposed to come out in February and it didn't.

I can't help but think some people might be disappointed by the info dump. I'm sure we'll get something relatively big, but I can't help but to try and temper my expectations with these kind of things. Would love to be proven wrong. Would be nice for Sega to give the IDW comics some spotlight, especially if is to announce another mini-series or what have you, I really wish the Sonic Twitter would give more shoutouts to the IDW comics. It's not like there is much aside from the Sonic movie to talk about.

I must admit, I do think a Sonic Adventure remake could work. Ofcourse though, I'd rather that be a side project, rather than be the next big game in the Sonic franchise. We need to figure out how to go forward, rather than keep milking the past. But hey, could be fun, SA1 isn't perfect, they could do stuff like make Amy fun to play as and give her a longer campaign, make the hub worlds into a decent sized sandbox, stuff like that. Honestly, I think they should just go the full hog and remake SA1 and SA2 in the same package, but ofcourse I'd be content with just an SA1 remake if it means that it is really good.

27 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I don't think you can make an adventure remake a side project. Due to budget and expectation.

Well, I mean, I'm not sure. For a while it seemed like Sega was pumping out quite a few 3D Sonic games in short succession with Heroes, Shadow, '06, Secret Rings, Black Knight, Lost World, Generations. I guess that era has ended now. I just mean, if it did boil down to the choice of a brand new Sonic title, or an SA1 remake, I'd choose a new game anyday. Also partly why I would rather they remake SA1 and SA2 together, I'd hate for them to remake SA1, it does well, and then they just remake SA2, rather than move onto a new project.

10 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

Well, I mean, I'm not sure. For a while it seemed like Sega was pumping out quite a few 3D Sonic games in short succession with Heroes, Shadow, '06, Secret Rings, Black Knight, Lost World, Generations. I guess that era has ended now. I just mean, if it did boil down to the choice of a brand new Sonic title, or an SA1 remake, I'd choose a new game anyday. Also partly why I would rather they remake SA1 and SA2 together, I'd hate for them to remake SA1, it does well, and then they just remake SA2, rather than move onto a new project.

Video games take time and effort and to remake games as big as those were, now would require a lot of time and effort.

• Thumbs Up 3