Awoo.

How much fan art is too much?

The Dork Knight

I am an artistic person. i carry my sketchbook with me at all times, and draw tons of stuff. Teen Titans (2003, TTG can burn in lava reef zone.), miraculous ladybug, Invader Zim, ninjago, Big hero 6, steven universe, ECT. and as you may have guessed, i have plenty of Sonic characters drawn. Call me crazy, but people should be able to draw what they want. So sue me for wanting to draw this awesome shot of tails rescuing Sonic from the IDW comics. or just Sonic giving a thumbs up, Shadow and Sonic fighting, Amy giving a cute smile, Knuckles, and probably too many drawings of tails. I'm actually kinda afraid to show people my sketchbook, because a certain "Friend" is constantly giving me crap about being a Sonic fan. the shadow drawing is literally the only drawing she approves of. I'm not drawing for you, Val! but still, am i drawing too much? should i lay off Sonic for a bit? how much is truly too much?

Edit: Aww, thank you all for your kind words! honestly, you're making me blush.

...that sounds really stupid, There are hundreds of artists who draw just as much fanarts as you, if not more. I say ignore this 'friend'. There always will be jerks complaining for god knows why, but they are obnoxiously loud minority.

Admittedly I'm outsider who doesn't see a full picture (pun not intended), but I can't imagine situation where your drawings can be something bad.

• Nice Smile 1

Draw what you want as you please. It's your sketchbook, not anyone else's.

• Nice Smile 1

Never stop drawing, draw to your heart's content. Draw a lot. Draw until you're tired or you don't feel like it. You'll get better every drawing you do. Forget about your friend's words.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

The only time you should ever take any consideration to what you draw is if you have an end goal in mind beyond the act of drawing for pleasure (i.e. if you want to create a portfolio of original creations but you draw nothing but fanart, time spent drawing fanart is time not spent on your goal, etc).  Apart from the sort of situation, if you're just drawing for fun, draw whatever you want. You don't owe anyone anything, especially if you're not even drawing for an audience in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

There's an artist I follow on Twitter who draws almost nothing but Android 21 every single day. And they're really damn good at drawing her.

You're fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

Yes, this is EXACTLY me. My friends hate me for being a Sonic fan (Also, my friends don't like me because I am Pentecostal). I promise you I have drawn over 200 sonic character pieces! I carry my sketchbook with me to school and everywhere.

Draw as much as you want, you don't have to care about others, because they will be mean.