Awoo.

Why is everyone taking Infinite Seriously, a Discussion about Infinite's character, and why he's in my top 5 characters.

PhoenixtheJackal

I mean, that scans with the prequel comic in which his ideal world was a destroyed one, it just doesn't vibe with Forces or episode shadow. This all feels so disjointed.

1 minute ago, thumbs13 said:

I mean, that scans with the prequel comic in which his ideal world was a destroyed one, it just doesn't vibe with Forces or episode shadow. This all feels so disjointed.

I mean yeah. Ya'll keep looking at infinite the character, what you need to do is look at infinite the character from sonic forces and you get why it feels so disjointed. Sonic forces is an exercise in capitalistic cynicism , it includes all the things they think or at least have some understanding people like. But meshed together with conflicting things and presented in a way no one liked, showing they don't understand why people like those things.

If you look at infinite like that, a bunch of shit thrown together to appeal to people with no actual understanding why people like those things. He starts to make sense why he is the way that is, and why even though that doesn't really gel with his in game counter part , why it is the way that he is. He's a shadow derivative , things the think people like about shadow with no understanding why they like them applied poorly to another character.

Now that description of infinite isn't inherently, bad. Its just that no one who is working at sonic team understands why anyone likes anything really. There's no way for it to be good either.

He's a collage of edge and no one there understand what the edgy pieces meant anymore

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Your takes might be a bit more complex that what his personality is, apparently he just wants to watch the world burn. No fears, No anger, insecurities, or anything. Just chaos

U wot m8. Infinite is dripping in fear. Shadow tells him to "Never show his face again" he literally says "That day I gave up my unsightly face." He's a nervous wreck.

Capture.PNG.6db2644ce537206ffe8b67a41538cc18.PNG

Canonically speaking, being defeated by Shadow is the thing that made Infinite insecure. So I guess he's fine before then.

I might object to that being "the thing" that did it though. You don't mentally break from merely being shoved in the locker.

Proposition

If Infinite lived a violent gang/merc life, it would make sense to write this as the reason he's on-edge.

Various attempts on his life from rival gangs/vigilantes is one thing.

Gang life is nothing but raiding, pillaging, hyper-agressive posturing, working your way up the ranks, not being abandoned, aquiring money and most importantly making sure you're the biggest, baddest, bully in town. Vulnerability always gets used against you some way or another.

Infinite gets afraid and tired of watching for literal and figurative backstabs. He is safe nowhere.

When Shadow kicks him in the head it is truly, madly,deeply the last straw, Infinite vows to become invincible no matter what and gets his sense of confidence from terrorising everyone. Who's afraid, now?

I find that sympathetic as well, like ouch man.

3 hours ago, Original Character said:

Now just keep writing instead of leaving it half-finished.

This across the board.

Also, edit your collective scripts while you're at it.

3 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I want to point out that Ian Flynn was given the material and your takes might be a bit more complex that what his personality is, apparently he just wants to watch the world burn. No fears, No anger, insecurities, or anything. Just chaos

To be fair, that's just why he agreed to work for Eggman.

5 hours ago, Original Character said:

U wot m8. Infinite is dripping in fear. Shadow tells him to "Never show his face again" he literally says "That day I gave up my unsightly face." He's a nervous wreck.

Sure, considering none of that has any effect on the game after that, no its probably just chaos.

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

To be fair, that's just why he agreed to work for Eggman.

I think in general. The shadow DLC is the only thing that attempts to give him something, and even in that DLC he kind of doesn't give a shit shadow murdered his friends. And in the rest of the game, even when shadow's clearly alive someone who's existance should be source of fear and anxiety, he doesn't give a shit. Now obviously its because this content was made at different times. However, the only peice of content that doesn't kind of line up is the shadow DLC. The rest of infinite is him being a cocky asshole because he wants to fuck shit up and doesn't care to kill people because " fuck it chaos"

As a full " narrative" him being an uninteresting agent of chaos is just the whole narrative. That shadow bit didn't go anywhere. Untill they do something else with him, that's all it will be.

People applying anxiety is them filling in holes in the narrative, it isn't reflected anywhere but one place and even in the rest of that dlc it isn't reflected. He's just an agent of chaos and  likely, because he's so poor and simple yet unfitting to the current direction they want to go in, wont be seen again and that's all he will be.

8 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I want to point out that Ian Flynn was given the material and your takes might be a bit more complex that what his personality is, apparently he just wants to watch the world burn. No fears, No anger, insecurities, or anything. Just chaos

Seriously that's really disappointing, to me I immediately got the Middle School kid emulating everything they think is cool vibe, with huge insecurities, like I thought that was so obvious, combining his mask, and screaming "I'm not weak!" despite being kicked once by Shadow and crumbling, meaning he is weak, until he got bullshit super powers, which he embraced as his real strength when it was just the Ruby, screams Insecurities

19 hours ago, PhoenixtheJackal said:

Seriously that's really disappointing, to me I immediately got the Middle School kid emulating everything they think is cool vibe, with huge insecurities, like I thought that was so obvious, combining his mask, and screaming "I'm not weak!" despite being kicked once by Shadow and crumbling, meaning he is weak, until he got bullshit super powers, which he embraced as his real strength when it was just the Ruby, screams Insecurities

So the issue is with discussing infinite and really the character himself is this.

The shadow DLC isn't a situation where it builds upon something , its a revelatory situation. Its something that supposed to give context to other actions. Issue is, and this is why I disagree on what little praise infnite gets in potential category, none of his actions seem related to that whatsoever. His actions before and after the DLC is just that of some opportunistic nihilistic who just wants to fuck shit up and possibly make some scratch or rule a patch of land while doing so. Him being " too cocky to finish people off" is actually explained by this. And makes more sense under that explanation given how he carries himself. The shadow DLC exists in isolation, that infinite is basically an entirely different character and isn't reflected in any of the other media.

So the only thing that " screams" anything is the DLC. Everything else can exist without that DLC.

It just seems like a lot of people are connecting the dots for sega in ways they may have not intended , as evidenced by their explanation of him just wanting to watch the world burn. Now lets be clear, the dots the fans are connecting is a much more compelling narrative than what we got. Fuck its more of a narrative in general than what we received. I think its important to take not that , is something constructed by the fans not sega themselves. Maybe there were people like mawekawa who would have thought "Oh hey this normal guy who gets bodied turning himself into a monster to gain power forbecause he's felt weak all his life , being a rival to the guy who was born a monster who doesn't want his power who's felt like a monster all of his life because of them. is a pretty interesting juxtaposition and there is a story there" but neither he or anyone else with the wherewithal to write that story works at sega.

So you get " i want to watch the world burn" riveting .

15 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

So the issue is with discussing infinite and really the character himself is this.

The shadow DLC isn't a situation where it builds upon something , its a revelatory situation. Its something that supposed to give context to other actions. Issue is, and this is why I disagree on what little praise infnite gets in potential category, none of his actions seem related to that whatsoever. His actions before and after the DLC is just that of some opportunistic nihilistic who just wants to fuck shit up and possibly make some scratch or rule a patch of land while doing so. Him being " too cocky to finish people off" is actually explained by this. And makes more sense under that explanation given how he carries himself. The shadow DLC exists in isolation, that infinite is basically an entirely different character and isn't reflected in any of the other media.

So the only thing that " screams" anything is the DLC. Everything else can exist without that DLC.

It just seems like a lot of people are connecting the dots for sega in ways they may have not intended , as evidenced by their explanation of him just wanting to watch the world burn. Now lets be clear, the dots the fans are connecting is a much more compelling narrative than what we got. Fuck its more of a narrative in general than what we received. I think its important to take not that , is something constructed by the fans not sega themselves. Maybe there were people like mawekawa who would have thought "Oh hey this normal guy who gets bodied turning himself into a monster to gain power forbecause he's felt weak all his life , being a rival to the guy who was born a monster who doesn't want his power who's felt like a monster all of his life because of them. is a pretty interesting juxtaposition and there is a story there" but neither he or anyone else with the wherewithal to write that story works at sega.

So you get " i want to watch the world burn" riveting .

I thought Episode Shadow was just as much infinite as the main game, cuz the final cutscene is the first cutscene of the main story, so I probably am basing most things on that, because I barely remember the main story except "Green Hill more like Sand Hill", and the fact Sonic was tortured for a long ass time and had no negative psychological effects, and that none of the projections do anything except be a boss, and Tails being completely wrong, despite 2 games earlier (lost world), actually being decently brave and not a huge wimp

1 hour ago, PhoenixtheJackal said:

I thought Episode Shadow was just as much infinite as the main game, cuz the final cutscene is the first cutscene of the main story, so I probably am basing most things on that, because I barely remember the main story except "Green Hill more like Sand Hill", and the fact Sonic was tortured for a long ass time and had no negative psychological effects, and that none of the projections do anything except be a boss, and Tails being completely wrong, despite 2 games earlier (lost world), actually being decently brave and not a huge wimp

The torture thing, though believable of Zavok, was a line added to the English localization. In fact, I don't think the war lasted six months in the Japanese version.

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

The torture thing, though believable of Zavok, was a line added to the English localization. In fact, I don't think the war lasted six months in the Japanese version

So the story is slightly less memorable in Japan, also wouldn't surprise me if the localized version comes first, cuz Sonic is more popular in America

44 minutes ago, PhoenixtheJackal said:

So the story is slightly less memorable in Japan, also wouldn't surprise me if the localized version comes first, cuz Sonic is more popular in America

I mean the story written by the Japanese team this time, so...

26 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I mean the story written by the Japanese team this time, so...

Oof so the Japanese team was responsible for this disaster of a script, it's annoying cuz the plot is really Solid, it was used for like 2 cartoons, and the Archie comics, and had so much potential, Sonic being presumed dead could've been done so interestingly, and Infinite's theme talks about how he can't control the power, and the first Avatar track is all about how you're the last hope (despite Shadow probably being just as capable, and definitely the entire freedom force combined should've been capable, but whatever), and just so much coulda been done