Awoo.

Earlier character vocies that you DON'T miss

batson

Some months back, I made a topic asking people about previous character voices that they miss. Now I wanna hear the opposite; which character voices that have come and gone are you glad to be rid off?

For me, my biggest example have to be Rouge's 4kids voice. To say that she sounded like a "chainsmoking 50-year old prostitute" is a cliché, but it's pretty much true.

Another voice that I certainly don't miss is Jason Griffith's Sonic. It seems to me like a lot of people initially disliked the voice but grew to appreciate it over time. Well, I'm one of those who never aquired such an appreciation. To me, his acting always seemed really off.

• Thumbs Up 2

Omega’s 06 voice.

Absolutely no offence meant to the late, great Maddie Blaustein, but her voice just didn’t suit Omega at all.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

This is a bit of a hard one since I thought most of the voices were okay, even if I generally one general performance over others.

Maybe Rebecca Honig as Cream?

37 minutes ago, Big Panda said:

Omega’s 06 voice.

Absolutely no offence meant to the late, great Maddie Blaustein, but her voice just didn’t suit Omega at all.

That was actually intentional direction, as the Japanese version apparently did the same and her next/last appearance sounded fine.

Likely Tails pre-Amy Palant.

I know this is hella weird and it's brought whenever talking about voice actors, but Tails do sound better at woman voices. Plus the fact it's not necessary to change the voice actor every 2 years or so.

I think his highlight was during the Kate Higgins era.

Others would be the already mentioned Rouge's prostitute voice and maybe Amy's Furry voice, but somewhat, it fits their personality.

5 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

That was actually intentional direction, as the Japanese version apparently did the same and her next/last appearance sounded fine.

The Japanese sounds fine though.

Maybe her voice just didn’t fit whatever direction they were going with.

When did Maddie last play Omega?

3 minutes ago, Solister said:

Amy's Furry voice

What?

A good majority of the Sonic X voices.

Amy, Cream, Tails, and others had incredibly annoying voices, and it really made the show significantly worse to watch.

1 hour ago, Big Panda said:

Omega’s 06 voice.

Oh god, yeah. That voice just didn't work.

Other than that, probably Tails and Amy's adventure voices, and Rouge's bland current voice, but that might be it.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Japanese sounds fine though. Maybe her voice just didn’t fit whatever direction they were going with.

Does it?

I'm going off something I read a while back, so I won't pretend I really know.

When did Maddie last play Omega?

Mario and Sonic 2.

What?

Indeed.

I do not miss JCC's Vector. It was too weird to take seriously. That one ending of Shadow the Hedgehog was ruined by Vector's "SHaDoW doNT Go ThERe, YeT" 

Basically any 4kids voice. Rouge and Vector are particularly awful. 

Gamma was notoriously bad too but not as easy to hear since iirc the only time we hear his 4kids era voice is during the sonic x adaptation of sa1.

2 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

I do not miss JCC's Vector. It was too weird to take seriously. That one ending of Shadow the Hedgehog was ruined by Vector's "SHaDoW doNT Go ThERe, YeT" 

I agree. But Vector's current voice sounds almost as bad, as the guy doing it is obviously doing an impression of the previous voice.

Can I be real? I never cared for Ryan Drummond. He always seemed like he couldn't show any emotion or read his lines without yelling them. Yeah I know voice directors and all but it's weird that outside of maybe SA1 nobody else really shouted their lines except for him.

Plus I feel like he was trying to give Sonic an attitude but he just came off more like a bland Shonen protagonist more often than not. And there was honestly just something about the tone of his voice that just grated on me something fierce. 

Also yeah all the actual children that voiced Tails were a bad idea Heroes in particular.

Kathleen Delaney I'm sure she is a sweet woman but that Rouge voice was so off. Yeah husky voiced women exist but it was just not the right call for Rouge. 

1 minute ago, SBR2 said:

Karen Strassmen I'm sure she is a sweet woman but that Rouge voice was so off. Yeah husky voiced women exist but it was just not the right call for Rouge. 

Uh, don't you mean Caren Manuel and/or Kathleen Delaney?

3 minutes ago, batson said:

I agree. But Vector's current voice sounds almost as bad, as the guy doing it is obviously doing an impression of the previous voice.

It was in Free Riders, but Boom and Forces had the voice be a lot more smooth sounding, and I think Keith Silverstein's the best Vector voice we've had. 

• Fist Bump 1

Just now, DabigRG said:

Uh, don't you mean Caren Manuel and/or Kathleen Delaney?

Yeah I had to look it up. I edited my post as you replied. 

Jason Griffith as Sonic has always bugged the ever-lovin' heck outta me.

I mean, I try to pay mind to others' opinions, but for the life of me, to this day I cannot fathom why people enjoy, let alone love, his portrayal of the character. The dude tries WAY too hard to sound cool and ends up sounding downright goofy most of the time, his pitch and tone bouncing around like a dang rubber ball from word to word. The only time I really enjoyed his take on Sonic was at the start of Sonic X when he portrayed Sonic with a more sly, less forceful tone.

Don't get me wrong; I like Griffith as an actor. He made a pretty solid Shadow, and some of his other roles, like Cilan from Pokemon, were nothing short of perfect casting. I just dislike his portrayal of Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

For me I would say Kirk Thornton as Shadow. It's completely subjective, but I don't like the vibe he gives to his Shadow voice. I'm sure he's good at other roles, but not at this for me. It's not outright bad, I just don't think it fits quite right.

I kind of disliked when they stopped using kid actors for Tails too, but I get why it's needed for such a long running series. I feel like he sounds too much like a girl sometimes, but I've gotten used to it over time.

Edit: I forgot the "earlier" part, but I still consider this as one considering he's been in the role for over a decade now.

Any Tails voice before Kate Higgins. Palant is fine but I don't really miss her. But every other voice was either plain, or bad.

It's been like 3 years and they're not gone yet, but since they're not gone...I don't miss Mike Pollock.

Oh, I also don't miss Kate Higgins as Tails. I cannot fathom why, but SOMEthing about her Tails voice just...bugs me. I mean, at least he sounds like a boy again, but...I dunno. Something is off. I like Colleen's Tails much better.

Amy Palant's Tails (too girly), Kathleen Delaney's Rouge (too deep) and Maddie Blaustein's Omega (not enough filtered or deep, not nearly enough boisterous. Doesn't fix Omega at all, more suitable for Gamma and the likes)

Current voices are mostly fine, but Knuckles' new voice is a pale imitation of Travis Willingham's. The replacement was understandable though as Travis wants to spend some time raising his kid. Hoping he comes back later.

Rouge in Team Sonic Racing. It sounds like a terrible impression of Bunnie from SatAM. The Adventure era was a better voice for her, TBH.

1 hour ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

Rouge in Team Sonic Racing. It sounds like a terrible impression of Bunnie from SatAM. The Adventure era was a better voice for her, TBH.

Where she was literally the voice director?

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Where she was literally the voice director?

Yep, and casting director, if I remember correctly. 

13 hours ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

It's the voice direction fault , not the VA .