Awoo.

The Pokémanz Thread

ovarloard

why has this not been talked about yet

Dem Pogeymanz. For online battlers, competitive battlers, traders, breeders, furries and whoever else may like this amazing drug.

Discuss one of the greatest game series ever created. Go.

Edited by Zekrom

It's a pretty good series if you ask me, but some things are just getting old in the games, like how every game starts the same way with a rock-type gym <_< But, that's what I like about the Johto Region, it mixes things up a bit, being only the second region in the series, it is the most original in my opinion.

I downloaded Platinum, and even though I can't understand half of the text in it, it's still a fun game.

But there's one thing that I stumbled upon recently.

Pokemon World Online

Still buggy, laggy, etc. etc. It's in beta right now, with probably over half of the content that's going to be added, well not there at the moment. Right now it's kinda bad, but it has potential, and I come around there every often, to check progress, personally I can't wait until we get to customize our avatars :D

An online game?

I used to play Pokemon Crater, and I was upset when it shut down. I never really bothered to look for another game.

Maybe I'll give this one a shot...

I WANNA BE THE VER-EE BEST LIKE NO ONE EVER WAS

TO CATCH THEM IS MY REAL TEST

TO TRAIN THEM IS MY CAUSE

Yay Pocket Monsters!

It's my second favorite series (next to that hawt plumber boy's).

I've gotten more serious with Pokemon (man that sounded nerdy) since I got Diamond. It's my most played DS game, no contest, and I'm kinda a bit into competitive wifi battling now thanks to wifi. EV training, breeding for the right IVs and moves, doing battle with others who do the same, all that tedious (yet still very addictive and fun) stuff.

Cannot wait for Platinum. I preordered it, so I'll be getting a Giratina figure. It's nothing too special, but in 20+ it should be worth something nice, hopefully.

Also, I like Pikachus. Mhm.

Edited by gunthetra

Oh - can someone clarify something for me so I can tell my friend about it?

Is Platinum much different from Diamond and Pearl besides the appearance of the Pokemon and some improved graphics? He wants to know if it's a good buy even though he already owns Diamond.

The beginning is different, I got to choose my first pokemon before I got to the lake (where you got the pokemon in the other two) And then battled your friend, and then moved to the lake, where Cyrus (I think that's his name) is looking at the lake. Plus there's also the Distorted/Torn World, I dunno much about it, but it's some sort of giant maze.

Oh - can someone clarify something for me so I can tell my friend about it?

Is Platinum much different from Diamond and Pearl besides the appearance of the Pokemon and some improved graphics? He wants to know if it's a good buy even though he already owns Diamond.

All changes are listed here:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokemon_Platinum

I used to be a big fan, but I've gotten bored of it. Every game is the exact same thing, you're a newbie trainer who gets to choose a fire, water, or grass pokemon to start with, then you go off and travel the world defeating the gym leaders, your rival, Team *whoever*, and eventually the Elite 4 and champion. Same thing every game, nothing changes, I was bored to death of it by the third generation and I should've quit earlier.

The other thing, competitive battling, would keep my attention if not for the horrific grinding. The whole of raising the pokemon is down to a science, and any half-decent battler will have planned it all out before they even start training, but that training ends up being just a tedious, mindless grind that I would not wish on my worst enemy. And if it turns out your team is no good? Well you're pretty much fucked, all that time has been wasted.

It's a shame, because the basic concept is nice, but they never do anything really interesting with it.

I always play at least 1 game from each generation (usually the third one), and always make a point to learn the pokédex number of all new Pokémon. I'm not into tournament play though.

Every game is the exact same thing.

Welcome to the RPG genre.

Pokemon is great, I've had a competitive team since the Advanced series. I won a few tournaments shortly after Diamond/Pearl's release, but my game data was erased and I was too lazy to remake my teams. Maybe I'll get back into it after I get Platinum, it's already reserved at GameStop lol.

Diogenes: That's what PokéSav is for. :P

I was into Pokémon when it was really trendy and popular. Basically my brother got me into it. He was actually the one who was into it the most, that's how I got into it. He loved watching the TV show mostly. I was into the TV show too, but I was into the games more.

I remember I had the first couple Pokémon GameBoy games. They were pretty damn addicting. I loved collecting as many as possible. I never had the opportunity to "catch 'em all" at all. I did collect as many as possible. I stopped around the time Pokémon Silver was released.

Diogenes: That's what PokéSav is for. :P

Cheating is cheap.

I do everything the legit way on Pokemon including getting shinies legitly.

My favorite Pokemon game is G/S/C , my favorite pokemon and type is Vaporeon and water-type.

Blue water-type cats are awesome.

Cheating is cheap.

What is this... "cheap," of which you speak?

I can understand 999 stats being seen as unreasonable, but hacking a pokemon with EV's, IV's, etc. is reasonable and isn't cheating. The Pokemon are obtainable in-game and aren't anything anyone can't match or beat.

Pokemon, the games and the anime alike, really was the best when it was brand spanking new, in my opinion. I enjoyed Silver though. Sapphire was a disaster. Pearl was fun. It had a whole lot more things to do. I enjoyed Pokemon snap and the first Pokemon stadium. My biggest gripe was that I had to leave all my 1st and 2nd gen pokemon behind for the switch to GBA.

I think Diogenes pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I play about one game for each region and I am pretty into the franchise. I boot it up, raise my squad to LV 100 and ditch it to wait for the next one. The little critters are highly addicting, and until I reach that maxed out plateau, I can't put the darned thing down.

GOD I love my Arcanine.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Too bad Tyranitar's an uber... I love my Tyranitar to bits and would use him in every tournament if I could.

What is this... "cheap," of which you speak?

I can understand 999 stats being seen as unreasonable, but hacking a pokemon with EV's, IV's, etc. is reasonable and isn't cheating. The Pokemon are obtainable in-game and aren't anything anyone can't match or beat.

I don't care if somebody hacks a legit-looking Pokemon because it is still hacked and not trained by the person, those kinds of Pokemon should not even be missed if the game is lost since you didn't work hard on it you just make the stats up and put it on your game.

Too bad Tyranitar's an uber... I love my Tyranitar to bits and would use him in every tournament if I could.

Tyranitar is actually in the OU tier so you should be able to use him in tournaments. However hes only in the OU tier because of his bad base speed.

As you all can guess I love this series. Like Gunthetra I am into the more advanced techniques of the games such as EVing, IVing (But I'm not too good at this), getting specific natures, tactical movesets etc. However I am not currently doing competetive battles because I still need to get certain moves for some on my Pokemon which require move tuors in Platinum. (Sadly I live in europe so I have to wait until May 22nd). Also like nearly everyone else in this topic I am going to be getting Platinum.

Edited by Blaziken

You could call me in-between of hardcore and casual fan of the series. Something addictive about it. And as far as complicated RPG stuff, it's the more simpler of all RPGs as far as I know.

Favourite games? Hmmm... Hard to say. I think maybe G/S/C. Although, since new tactics and all has been introduced in the third generation, I can barely get used to the old game mechanics again. Though I think Diamond is my favourite. And I still have games from each generation (even if some I've bought the other version of, traded away, or just took away from cousins who don't seem to mind/care/notice). I still got Yellow, Silver, (both from cousins.), Emerald, Diamond and Pearl (birthday gift. Yet to play it, till I get my brother's DS and trade away more TMs. MWAHAHAHAHA!). And I will be getting Platinum, like with every generation.

The Pokemon Special I like alot, as it's a pretty cool comic series (when taking about Pokemon medium as a whole). And I've been on/off with the cartoon (as I am with Sonic as a whole sometimes, but I guess I'm just a sucker for both series.) so I watch it every now and again, especially with MST3K riffs.

As for competetive play, I stray in between. I do the natures (sometimes) and EV training thing, just so they stand a chance. And go for particular moves and whatnot, though I'm mostly one for a Physical set. IVs, I don't really bother with, though I'd try out the stat calculator just to see what IVs the ones I've caught are like, and I usually go for decent looking ones, regardless of typing and nature. I try to minimise grinding, just to keep the fun factor in the game, and make sure I win as many matches, without being so obsessive. Then again, I play the game like once every week/month or so, depends on any projects I'm working on or games I'm playin.

Speaking of which, I'd wanna go and fight many people on Wi-Fi at some point (when I'm not too busy). And evolve/breed/get Shaymin and Arceus to "CATCH 'EM ALL!!!"

I'm a huge pokénerd and I'll do my very best to catch 'em all. I've no interest in battling others though, never been too huge into PvP and when you go into that sort of thing, you just end up facing inanities like EVs and "ban cause i cant play" things. Not for me thanks.

I'm currently going through my pokédex in a peaceful manner, whenever I have an idle bored moment and nothing else to play I'll just whip out my Diamond and evolve a poké. Shame Diamond lacks good grinding places, E4 grinding is hellishly dull. Currently got 337 pokés or so, not that much in the long run but dammit if I'm not getting near to full one day. Never gonna get full though, too much silly legendaries. And the fact that I'm lacking wifi makes things a bit harder.

Fucking love Diamond so much.

What I don't love however is Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia. I trudged through it for Manaphy and Darkrai, but good god I've never met a game so frustratingly repetive and intellectually insulting. It treats the player like he's at the bottom of IQ charts. And I swear my touch screen is slightly scratched now thanks to its gameplay gimmick. Fuck that shit, gonna sell it soon so I can get something good out of it (outside the 3 legendaries). God what a horrible game.

Edited by Flint

I'm definitly not a hardcore player, can't be arsed with EV and all the rubbish, since people put such a fanatical devition into raising a high powered team, when I'd rather just fight some mates for the heck of it. Me and Frobman have had a fair few battles, I can't remember if I've won any, but it's all fun cause we like testing each other's strategies.

I've almost caught em all, the only ones I got left (apart from the 2 unreleased legendaries) are ones I need to evolve. But I'm lazy and like Flint said, no good place to train em really.

I will finish it... at some point.

Then I can start thinking about casually training some teams to beat friends with, I've got an all Eevee evo team in the wings... however I am trying to get my old team from Gold back in some form (never had the advance series)

Update: After just challenging him, I beat Frobman... though I've got a long way to catch up to him. Yay for dumb luck!

Inbetween my Sonic fads of 1995-1999 and 2004-2??? was a special spot for my only other fad, Pokemon. It will have a special place in my heart forever as the game that stole my freaking life away...

I was about 9 when I got pokemon...and it stole so many hours from my life, I had all the versions, and had every bit of memorabilia....figurines, cards, you name it I baught it...

I caught them all in Red and Blue...but couldnt be bothered to finish the rest...

BUT I have beaten each of the games with a "Water-type" team. Rules? Only catch and breed water types (unless needed as a HM slave (which wasnt allowed to battle, and if so, not allowed to win...lowest level possible).. but yeah..

Ohhh and how I lost my pokemon fad? It was at the poketour of 200? when they were distributing Celebi....They had a big crowd and a man dressed as James was asking the crowd questions...and a person dressed in a Meowth costume was giving out a pack of cards for each correct answer (OMFG I KNOW!!!) so being the Poke-Legend I was, I waited my turn, knowing whatever question they gave me was going to be answered swiftly and correctly. I knew everything there was to know..Magikarp evolved at level 20 and learned tackle at 15...Squirtle learned HydroPump at level 37, while Blastoise learned it at 53. I was invincible and when the question came...He asked me:

What pokemon was number 50.

Simple enough. I answered with "Meowth". I was WRONG. The correct answer was of course Diglett. I was two pokemon away...meowth being number 52. Suddenly James shifted to another screaming child, while I stood...frozen in humiliation, and drowning in the remains of my deinflating head...My life was a lie...

No seriously, almost went emo. But yeah, from then on I decided that it was a waste of time knowing every little detail, and found me old sega cartridges...Blew the dust out, and renewed my current fad...

Pokemon is one of my all time favorite franchises. I remember getting into it around when it started coming out here. I still find the games lots of fun to this very day. My favorite games being Gold/Silver/Crystal. Diamond/Pearl/Platinum were made of all kinds of wins, especially the Wi-Fi battles! The anime was great until Johto will it became filler city, so I pretty much stopped watching all together.

I'm really hoping for a Gold/Silver/Crystal remake like they did with Fire Red and Leaf Green.

I'm really hoping for a Gold/Silver/Crystal remake like they did with Fire Red and Leaf Green.

Seems possible they might do it, what with Jasmine the Steel Gym Leader's appearance in Diamond in a town and played against in a contest, and the next movie having a Notched-Ear Pichu and the 3 Johto Starters for some reason. And no announcements of any new Pokemon just yet.

I've got back into Pokemon recently. I never played third gen, but Pearl has proved really fun second time round, I like using stuff I have never used before. My favourite gen is probably GSC though, it just seemed to have everything for me.

I know vague stuff about competitive battling, but I haven't got the patience to actually play properly, I just go through the games.

I like the dialogue in DP as well - Team Galactic especially are very genre savvy, and there are internet culture references in the games.

When Platinum comes out, I am so using Gallade on an ingame team. I hate how a lot of the interesting stuff in DP is so late, but I know that Platinum has changed this, so I will take advantage of it.

Shame the series is so mocked really, it is rather good. The series also has good music - Route 209 is easily my favourite, as it's so serene and happy. Only the daytime though, the night version managed to butcher it horribly.

EDIT: Mono Water team is EASY, as there are so many so you can balance out weaknesses, and the ingame trainers are mostly pretty poor. I've done mono Water in Blue before.

Edited by Semi-colon e