Awoo.

The Pokémanz Thread

ovarloard

tldr.png

It was so asking for it.

A few hours ago, I accomplished this:

(Spoilered for size)

img0388l.jpg

This is the first regional Pokédex I've ever completed. The only one that I ever came close to completing was Sapphire's, with only the ones that required trading that I needed.

And now I realized this is definitely not the B/W thread. Goddamn.

Edited by Ricky

Ok, Porygon Z is best as a quick Special Attacker, so as you said, EVing it in Speed and Special Attack would be best. Modest nature would be the best choice, since Porygon Z's main niche is it's power. As far as movesets go, it may be a bit hard deciding, since it loses a few nice options since I'm assuming this Porygon Z is on a gen 5 game, and I doubt you'd want to breed for specific Hidden Power types and strengths, so I'd reccomend Tri Attack, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and Dark Pulse. Tri Attack is there for obvious reasons, Dark Pulse is there to hit ghost types who are immune to Tri Attack, and Thunderbolt and Ice Beam are there thanks to their decent base power and because they get decent neutral type coverage together. As far as items go, Life Orb is probably the best choice, as it gives Porygon Z's attacks a bit more power, and the recoil isn't all that problematic anyway, as Porygon Z will rarely survive attacks anyway.

Now for Zoroark. You'll want a Timid nature, as Zoroark is a pretty fast Pokemon, so you'll probably want to take advantage of it, however Modest is a good nature for it as well if you want power over speed, however with Timid you can outspeed things like Salamence, Volcarona, Hydreigon Garchomp with +Speed natures, and Pokemon like Lati@s, Gengar, Infernape, the Musketeer trio and other Zoroarks without +Speed Natures. As far as EVs go, again, Speed and Special Attack are the way to go with Zoroark. With the moveset, it depends on if you're a fan of set up moves or not. If you're fine with using them, then I'd say the best set would be Nasty Plot, Night Daze/Dark Pulse, Focus Blast and Flamethrower/Extrasensory, however, if you don't like set up moves, go with whichever move you didn't pick out of Flamethrower and Extrasensory, or maybe even Grass Knot if you wanted. Nasty Plot is there because of the fact that it allows Zoroark to hit harder, and since Zoroark is about as bulky as a wet sheet of paper, it'll want to hit as hard as possible before it goes down. Night Daze and Dark Pulse are your STAB Dark moves, although you should only use 1 for better coverage. Your choice should be made on whether you prefer higher power or accuracy, the secondary effects don't matter, as both are pretty nice. Night Daze is better if you want power, and Dark Pulse is better if you don't want to be messed up by a miss. Focus Blast is there for getting close to perfect neutral coverage, and it hits most steel types that may otherwise give you a bit of trouble for very nice damage. It may miss a fair bit due to it's shaky 70 accuracy, which sometimes seems like it misses more than it should, but it's your best option for coverage, and Zoroark gets no good special fighting moves besides this and Hidden Power Fighting, which would require a lot of breeding for, which is why I reccomended Focus Blast. The choice of Flamethrower or Extrasensory comes down to what kinds of Pokemon you'd rather hit for more damage. Neither are really bad for your coverage, as both of them hit the only 2 Pokemon who resist the Dark + Fighting combo (Heracross and Toxicroak) for neutral damage at the very least. Flamethrower is better if you don't like facing Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Scizor, Forretress and Skarmory, as well as having a slighly more reliable but less weak move to take out steels, while Extrasensory is better for going against fighting types. While I'd personally pick Flamethrower, as Zoroark wouldn't want to stay in on many fighting types anyway, the option is still there. You have 2 choices as far as items go, Life Orb or Focus Sash. Again, Life Orb is a very nice item if you want your Zoroark to be hitting harder, however Focus Sash will let you survive any attack aimed at you. Now the reason why Zoroark could use a Focus Sash and Porygon Z doesn't need it as much is simple. Zoroark can't take a hit from anything. Porygon Z can at least take some attacks. Even attacks Zoroark resists will hurt it a lot, so Focus Sash will allow you to at least take 1 attack.

With Lucario, I'd go for another special attacking set, as that way the amount of physical and special attackers you have are balanced out. Modest nature would be best, and I'll explain why later. As far as moves go, I'd go with Nasty Plot, Aura Sphere, Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball and Vacuum Wave. Nasty Plot, like on Zoroark, is there to boost the power of your moves, and gives Lucario the same benefits as Zoroark, however you'll need to keep your Lucario as a Riolu until level 47 to get this move, but it's worth it. Aura Sphere is there for obvious reasons, it's a STAB move, and if you find someone spamming Double Team, at least you won't be completely helpless. (Unless it's a ghost of course.) The choice of Dark Pulse and Shadow Ball isn't down to power or accuracy this time, as both are exactly the same in that regard. Shadow Ball gets you perfect neutral coverage with Aura Sphere, however Dark Pulse has the better secondary effect, which can possibly cause a flinch. Vacuum Wave is the reason that Modest is used over Timid. It allows you to damage faster Pokemon, and with Modest, it's a bit more powerful as well. It's better to be able to hit a faster Pokemon with a somewhat weak attack (And even then Lucario gets STAB from it so it's got base 60 power rather than 40 on the plus side) rather than be absolutely helpless against a faster Pokemon. It also allows you to finish off weakened Pokemon before they can do anything else. The power may be a bit dissapointing, but it can be very helpful in some situations. As for items, again, Lucario can run life orb for the same reasons as the previous 2, however, the Air Balloon item is decent on it as well, as it gives it a ground immunity until it's hit by an attack. This can actually get you quite a few surprise kills against non CPU opponents who try to use a ground attack on you. If you do use it though, make sure Lucario doesn't get hit early on.

There are 2 ways you can go about training Metagross, it depends on if you want a bulky one or an all out offensive one. While I'd say you're better off going with a bulky one, since your team is really frail, you can go for an offensive one if you want. With both sets, you'll want to put your EVs into attack, as even on the bulky set that attack is too high to not abuse. On the bulky set, you'll want to put the rest of your EVs into HP, while on the offensive set, you should put the rest of it into Speed. For the bulky set, a Careful nature is the best option, while Adamant is best on the offensive one. The movesets aren't too different between the 2. On the bulky one you'll want Stealth Rock, Meteor Mash, Earthquake and Bullet Punch, while on the offensive one Agility, Meteor Mash, Earthquake and Zen Headbutt are the best choices. (I'd normally say something like Thunderpunch would be better than Zen Headbutt, but, again, I'm assuming this is gen 5 only.) Stealth Rock is extremely good for weakening the foe's Pokemon, and makes anyone using Pokemon like Charizard and Yanmega want to crawl into the corner and cry. Meteor Mash is there as a STAB option, and also has the chance of raising your attack 1 stage, which is a very good thing for Metagross. Earthquake is there because Earthquake is an amazing move. Bullet Punch is on the bulky set for the same reasons that Vacuum Wave is on Lucario. Agility is on the offensive one because it allows Metagross to get past it's main problem offensively, it's somewhat bad base speed, it outspeeds a surprising amount of Pokemon, even after just 1 agility. Zen Headbutt is there because it's a STAB move, and it doesn't really have many other options that are good anyway. Leftovers would be good choices on both sets, however Life Orb can work on the offensive one.

Now for Arcanine. Adamant would be the best nature for it, because as far as special attacking goes, it's sub par at best, so there's no point in using it in that department. Max out Arcanine's Attack and Speed, so it can hit as hard and fast as possible. With movesets, Arcanine's options aren't too wide, but wide enough to do what it needs to do well. Flare Blitz, Extremespeed, Wild Charge and Morning Sun are the best choices for it, although Close Combat can also go in one of these slots if you really want to use it. Flare Blitz is there because it's a STAB move and really powerful at that. Extremespeed, like Vacuum Wave and Bullet Punch on Lucario and Metagross, is there to hit faster Pokemon. Wild Charge is there to hit the Water types Arcanine will be seeing a lot for super effective damage, and Morning Sun is there to heal off the recoil you'll get from Flare Blitz and Wild Charge. Leftovers is the best item for Arcanine (You can get a second Leftovers by making a trade for a Munchlax in Undella for a Cincinno during Summer) although Life Orb works as well.

Lastly, Marowak. You seem to have a good idea on what you're doing with Marowak, although I'd reccomend that you move it's speed EVs into HP, as Marowak is extremely slow either way, and you don't have anything that can paralyse anything, so it'll pretty much never outspeed anything anyway. As far as moves go, I'd reccomend Earthquake, Stone Edge, Double Edge and Substitute, although you must have Rock Head as an ability for this to work. Earthquake is there as a STAB move, and an extremely good one at that. Stone Edge is there for good neutral coverage again, however if the accuracy is offputting Rock Slide is always an option. Double Edge is there for the high power, and because of Rock Head you'll be taking no damage from it. Substitute is there so you can take a hit for free if you set it up. I probably would've put one of the elemental punches on here, but it's gen 4 only. Thick Club is also an amazing item, so you made a good choice in using it.

I apologise for the wall of text, but I thought I'd try to help, and at least justify the choices I made so they don't seem like bad ones.

Hot damn, that was perfect, O_o. Thanks a hundred times over for doing this, it's basically everything I wanted actually! Hopefully learning from this allows me to pick this up on my own so I don't have to ask for help again. Oh and yes, you assumed right, this is coming from Gen 5 only. I don't really want to deal with going back and forth with games really.

But yeah, looks like I need 10 billion life orbs, XD. Though, I should have expected that most of these would be using the same type of item, since they are kinda the same in battling nature I guess. I'm pretty sure all the seasoned players here are going "So, I'll just do this and this and he'll never win, piece of cake, lolololol" but that's fine, LOL. As long as I'm using my favorites, I'm ok I guess, XD.

I'm pretty sure I'll still mostly be playing against CPU since I don't battle too much, but maybe if I try the random match up or battle subway (is that the battle frontier equivalent for gen 5?), I'll have a better chance I guess.

Anyways, thanks again, I really appreciate the help!

-Blur

Agh. Bulbapedia totally lied about how many EVs Watchog gives out and my Golem's EVs were totally thrown off. Well, kinda totally thrown off... I was using a simple 252/252/4 scheme, so the difference won't be big enough in the long run that I'm going to bother starting over, but it's still irksome. I'm glad that the problem wasn't me, though; I mean, I know I'm terrible at math, but I'd like to hope that I still remember how to count.

• 4 weeks later...

This video brought a big smile to my face. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

1.jpg

hey 3ds owners, this one's for you

3D Pokedex featuring ONLY the Unova Pokemon. Worth it? Slightly interested to see that Game Freak themselves have finally created a resource like this with level up moves, etc. What's slightly off-putting is the fact that the stat distributions (BSTs/Base Stat Totals) are described by... bars instead of actual numerical values, so competitive battlers who are trying to get exact figures are out of luck and'll have to resort to the same methods as before - the internet.

I dunno. I'm not getting it because I don't have a 3DS and am not planning to get one anytime soon, but hey it still looks kinda nice.

3D Pokedex featuring ONLY the Unova Pokemon. Worth it?

I dunno. I'm not getting it because I don't have a 3DS and am not planning to get one anytime soon, but hey it still looks kinda nice.

Ehh, I'll just get this one to satisfy GF and Nintendo and TPC(i). Other than having 156 3D Pokemodels, what's the use of this, anyway?

But then again, the 3D modeling skills of GF are actually improving! :D

1.jpg

hey 3ds owners, this one's for you

3D Pokedex featuring ONLY the Unova Pokemon. Worth it? Slightly interested to see that Game Freak themselves have finally created a resource like this with level up moves, etc. What's slightly off-putting is the fact that the stat distributions (BSTs/Base Stat Totals) are described by... bars instead of actual numerical values, so competitive battlers who are trying to get exact figures are out of luck and'll have to resort to the same methods as before - the internet.

It's free, so I don't see the problem with it. I think this is showing what Game Freak can do on the 3DS too. Maybe Pokemon Grey will be on the 3DS with these models?

It's free, so I don't see the problem with it. I think this is showing what Game Freak can do on the 3DS too. Maybe Pokemon Grey will be on the 3DS with these models?

Oh it's free? Okay, I can go for that. Wouldn't spend anything on it though.

Ehh, I'll just get this one to satisfy GF and Nintendo and TPC(i). Other than having 156 3D Pokemodels, what's the use of this, anyway?

But then again, the 3D modeling skills of GF are actually improving! :D

RE Pokedex 3D announced for eShop: What are the chances of Nintendo designing 150+ new, noticeably high quality (compare them to the N64 models they're still using for recent 3D Pokemon games) Pokemon models just for a free app?

It looks like Creatures Inc. are involved with this game, and the rumour from a while back about Nintendo basically getting all the Pokemon groups working together to help Game Freak get a fully 3D game up and running seems suddenly a lot more likely when you consider how wasteful this App would be if the models were only designed for this.

Although it could just be for a Pokemon Stadium Black/White.

It's strange. Unlike a lot of cartoon/anime characters, most Pokémon actually look better when rendered in 3D. Like Tepig for example:

5790939744_604ac45c14_z.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

The most ardent fans have probably heard about this already, but some Japanese guy has made a freeware 2D fighting game from Pokémon.

DL link

I don't usually go for 2D fighters but, possibly because I'm such a massive pokénerd, this has grabbed me with surprising force. It's really well done as well, the graphics and animations are really beautiful and the gameplay is really smooth (except that most special moves are triggered by quarter circle stick moves and I'm really horribly bad with those BUT I AM PRACTICING). 8 characters, each with their own special moves, combat behaviour and three assist pokés.

The most ardent fans have probably heard about this already, but some Japanese guy has made a freeware 2D fighting game from Pokémon.

DL link

I don't usually go for 2D fighters but, possibly because I'm such a massive pokénerd, this has grabbed me with surprising force. It's really well done as well, the graphics and animations are really beautiful and the gameplay is really smooth (except that most special moves are triggered by quarter circle stick moves and I'm really horribly bad with those BUT I AM PRACTICING). 8 characters, each with their own special moves, combat behaviour and three assist pokés.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

Grey? Im really wondering how they would do that, or any future pokemon game...will they stick with just sprites? Or actually try to use the 3DS videocard to do something similar to Pokemon Stadium or battle revolution renders.... hmm

They register a lot of domain names for the sake of not letting other people have them. I'd also be surprised if they game was called grey.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think that Kyurem needs a new form.

I would prefer that only Giratina had that special treatment (Not counting special event Pokémon).

Pikachu, Suicune and Rayquaza didn't had a new form and it worked very well and seriously since Diamond & Pearl we already have lots of Pokémon with various forms like Deoxys, Rotom, Giratina, Shaymin and Meloetta.