Awoo.

The Pokémanz Thread

ovarloard

Woo woo! Considering this Autumn will mark the 2-year anniversary of Black/White in Japan, it falls in line with when the expected third version should be released. Especially if this news about Kyurem holds any water. And if it is that, then I bloody well hope it's a 3DS game.

I'd much rather have Ruby and Sapphire remakes. The disappoint that was BW has made me appreciate those games much more. Plus they were my first so seeing them remade will be all kinds of nostalgic.

Hopefully Gray improves BW a good amount though.

• Thumbs Up 1

No point in making a big name title for a dead system.

Buy you said you wanted it on the 3DS!

Make up your mind!

• Thumbs Up 3

I too would much rather have G3 remakes for 3DS. I'm on the half of the fanbase that actually liked R/S/E and would love to see it remade. If it's Gray though, then it better be for 3DS instead of DS, it better have a rehauled levelup system that actually requires some grinding to be done, it better have a fucking VS. Seeker, and for the love of god, it better have a completely rehauled postgame that actually progresses some after-story and has relevance because even R/B/Y had a better postgame.

Pokémon Gray would be nice, especially if they made it as fun as Platinum/Heartgold Battle Frontier'ish (I feel they stripped a lot of fun in Black/White). Also, I have thought about this for a while - Doesn't Pokémon Gray sound, well, I dunno, gray? XD

Can't wait to hear more. Also, 3DS plx0zz!

due out on January 14th 2012 in what they call a world first shocking announcement.

Brace yourselves people, cause we're probably getting A 3D CONSOLE POKEMON GAME.

• Thumbs Up 1

If an RSE remake is made, I hope they fix up the pacing a tad. I dunno why, but I always found them to have slightly wonky pacing. It just didn't flow as well as FR/LG, D/P/Pt or G/S/C to me. It felt a little bumpy. Though I will say, I fucking love Mr. Briney. Such a nice guy.

Beyond that, I want a return and better exploration of the Sevii Islands. Those were great, and the Seavault Canyon remix of Lake of Rage, was fantastic (better than the HG/SS remix of it)

This is asking for something ridiculous maybe, but I want another G1 remake with the Orange Islands as the post game complete with the gym leaders

Exploring the Orange Islands would be a nice present for the anime fans, but completing the gym leader challenges as they were in the anime could never work with the RPG mechanics Pokemon has, unless there's some way to hit some targets, scale a mountain, build a sled out of a block of ice, and have standard race to the finishes with point-and-click stuff we have now. :P

If all that were taken out and just replaced with standard gym battles, that would be very underwhelming.

Weren't the Sevii Islands kind of created in FR/LG to somewhat coincide with the Orange Islands? I mean even Lorieli from the Elite 4 lives there just like in the Anime.

Exploring the Orange Islands would be a nice present for the anime fans, but completing the gym leader challenges as they were in the anime could never work with the RPG mechanics Pokemon has, unless there's some way to hit some targets, scale a mountain, build a sled out of a block of ice, and have standard race to the finishes with point-and-click stuff we have now. tongue.png

If all that were taken out and just replaced with standard gym battles, that would be very underwhelming.

Well, HG/SS had that weird sport minigame thing, right? I suppose you could have 8 post game minigames to challenge 'leaders' to, each one being something like the anime's challenges.

Honestly, I think I'd prefer that to another Battle Frontier.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's been a while since I've seen that saga. Were the orange leaders not just your basic battles followed by some minileague for beating all 4 of them?

Brace yourselves people, cause we're probably getting A 3D CONSOLE POKEMON GAME.

I would actually really love to have another 3D console game. I absolutely loved Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness. Pokemon Battle Revolution was pants but the visuals were fantastic and Pokemon were actually able to move towards their opponents and hit them physically. A 3D Pokemon game with the standard Handheld main game format? Yes please

I would actually really love to have another 3D console game. I absolutely loved Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness. Pokemon Battle Revolution was pants but the visuals were fantastic and Pokemon were actually able to move towards their opponents and hit them physically. A 3D Pokemon game with the standard Handheld main game format? Yes please

Seconded, even if it's another semi-spin off in vein of Colosseum and XD. Just add something more than raw-battle all the time and we're set to go.

Does anyone else really hope that there isn't a third generation remake? I'll be open and admit that the third generation was my least favourite, but think about it; what is there to remake? The first and second generations needed remaking not because of outdated graphics but because of wildly outdated mechanics that weren't recognisable as Pokemon in its modern form. But there's fundamentally very little different between the third generation and the ones that came after it. Items, breeding, abilities, multi-side battles... and if they remake R/S/E, logically they should remake FR/LG as well because they're equally outdated. In fact, I'd almost rather they remade the first generation again, but I really don't see the need for either. Unless "$$$" counts as a need, which, sigh, I suppose it might well. If they do remake the third generation, though... I hope they ignore R/S and just remake Emerald. Unlike R/B and G/S, R/S are incomplete games with an incomplete story. There's no way to remake them whilst integrating the plot developments from Emerald without effectively making them into an Emerald remake anyway.

As for Grey... well, obviously I hope they make it, because, as with R/S, the B/W story needs to be properly completed, and they also need to show that they can improve on the things from B/W that people didn't like. But I sure as Hell hope it isn't called Grey, because they can do a lot better than that in naming terms. Black and White are fundamental shades with immense cultural resonance. The only cultural connotation Grey has is being boring. Fortunately two of four generations so far have had third games with unintuitive titles, so I'm fairly sure they can come up with something better.

But whatever the next game is, R/S/E or Grey... it'll be on the 3DS, and I'd be fairly confident that it'll be a testbed for much fuller use of 3D graphics that'll then be developed in a complete form in the sixth generation. That's just the direction the games have been progressing in.

That said, with all the spin-offs lately I'm kind of expecting the Coro Coro reveal to be something completely different again...

• Thumbs Up 1

Does anyone else really hope that there isn't a third generation remake? I'll be open and admit that the third generation was my least favourite, but think about it; what is there to remake? The first and second generations needed remaking not because of outdated graphics but because of wildly outdated mechanics that weren't recognisable as Pokemon in its modern form. But there's fundamentally very little different between the third generation and the ones that came after it. Items, breeding, abilities, multi-side battles... and if they remake R/S/E, logically they should remake FR/LG as well because they're equally outdated. In fact, I'd almost rather they remade the first generation again, but I really don't see the need for either. Unless "$$$" counts as a need, which, sigh, I suppose it might well. If they do remake the third generation, though... I hope they ignore R/S and just remake Emerald. Unlike R/B and G/S, R/S are incomplete games with an incomplete story. There's no way to remake them whilst integrating the plot developments from Emerald without effectively making them into an Emerald remake anyway.

They sorta did that with HG/SS, they took the "completed" story from Crystal and used it for both HG and SS, with minor changes between versions. They could do that for R&S as well, putting the finished story from Emerald into those games.

Also, there's a few things I think they could do to improve R/S, such as adding the Day and Night system to it, among other things.

Edited by Inferno

The physical/special split is a fairly important gameplay mechanic that wasn't in RSE so there's at least that to add to remakes, on top of all kinds of other smaller changes.

Does anyone else really hope that there isn't a third generation remake?

...but I like May...

• Thumbs Up 1

They sorta did that with HG/SS, they took the "completed" story from Crystal and used it for both HG and SS, with minor changes between versions. They could do that for R&S as well, putting the finished story from Emerald into those games.

The plot from Crystal didn't contradict that of Gold or Silver, though. Suicune and Eusine roaming around didn't change anything. So how do they conflate R/S with Emerald? In the first two, only one legendary Pokemon causes havoc, only one team is evil and the other's barely in it, and Rayquaza has nothing to do with anything. In the third, both teams are evil, both Pokemon duke it out, you have to get Rayquaza to shut them down. It's hard to import that storyline into the first two games without making it a more Rayquaza-centric game.

I will try, though. Let's say both teams are both evil in both games. You actually foil the opposing team's plan to resurrect their respective legendary Pokemon in each game by sneaking into their base - so you stop Kyogre from being revived in Ruby, and stop Groudon from being revived in Sapphire. This also has the advantage of utilising both team's secret bases and letting you face more characters and enemies. Rather than sitting at the bottom of a cave, the title legendaries unleash their destructive powers out in the open, reminiscent of the open duel between the two in Emerald. Rayquaza doesn't intervene, but is explicitly and perhaps even visibly awakened by the chaos.

That's one way of keeping some of the Emerald plot elements without making Rayquaza too important, or Groudon and Kyogre of equal importance. It's still inferior, though - it lacks the legendary duel that frankly was the most exciting and iconic event in the Emerald plot, for instance, and which would be awesome if remade. But my main concern is my sneaking suspicion that they simply wouldn't bother trying to bring in the Emerald plot to much of an extent and would basically have the rival legendaries and teams be non-existent in each game, like in the originals.

The physical/special split is a fairly important gameplay mechanic that wasn't in RSE so there's at least that to add to remakes, on top of all kinds of other smaller changes.

These aren't visible or especially noticeable changes, though. You can't really promote a remake based on tweaks. And if they can do remakes just for graphics and small changes, where does it end? Should they remake Diamond and Pearl for the sixth generation? The remakes up until now have been necessary. Any further will just be redundant cash-ins.

Don't get me wrong; if there was a third-generation remake, I'd still buy it. I just think it'd be unnecessary and probably uninspired. I'd prefer they just held off on the remakes, focussed on making great main games which actually have all the features of the previous generation without having to ditch some and save them for the third version... maybe make a really, really expanded remake of Red and Blue for the twentieth or twenty-fifth anniversary. But I don't want Pokemon to spend too much time relying on remakes. We already give it far more leeway than we give any other game series. Three versions of each game, and then another two of some from years ago? Who else would get away with even half that?

• Thumbs Up 1