Awoo.

The Pokémanz Thread

ovarloard

Those artworks each depict the Pokemon using an attack. I can read Japanese, the rectangular box on the left side says the name of the Pokemon, while the box on the right side says which attack it is using.

(Bulbasaur = Leech Seed

Ivysaur = Razor Leaf

Venusaur = Vine Whip

Charmander = Ember

Charmeleon = Slash

Charizard = Flamethrower

Squirtle = Withdraw

Wartortle = Skull Bash

Blastoise = Hydro Pump)

It's really cool to see these original designs before they were modified in later generations. Notice how Charmander has a spike on its back (and its eyes are completely blue), Pikachu's belly is outlined, Ninetales tails lack the orange tip shown in recent games, Machop is gray rather than blue, Machoke is gray rather than purple, Machamp isn't wearing a belt, Jynx is black...

Though these drawings were definitely made a while after Red/Green came out in Japan, since some of these designs already contain changes not seen in the original artwork. For instance, Poliwhirl doesn't have fingers, but in the original Red/Green artwork and sprite, he had fingers. At some point after Red/Green they decided Poliwhirl shouldn't have fingers, since the earliest artwork has Poliwhirl with fingers, but this particular artwork, the anime, and the FR/LG artwork depict Poliwhirl wearing mittens with no fingers.

Also I noticed that Alakzam's Red/Green sprite has the Star of David on its forehead, but none of the artwork does, even the earliest Red/Green artwork. Is there any official early artwork of Alakazam with the Star of David?

Edited by Chaos Rush

Also, what attack is Dragonair using?

Ryuu no Ikari. Literally, Dragon Rage.

Edited by Professor Westwood V
  • Thumbs Up 1

DUDES

In The Games Department

Pokémon Black & White - Keldeo

keldeo.jpg

The first images of CoroCoro have started to come, courtesy of air_dmzil and show the cover of the new issue. This shows the silhouette of the Pokémon, Keldeo indicating that its revelation is in this month's issue. The images of this month's magazine are starting to come out and will likely be revealed over the next day or so so keep checking back.

Serebii

KELDEO

roflbot.jpg

Edited by VizardJeffhog
  • Thumbs Up 1

All aboard the pony train!

I'm more interested in Kyurem's alternate form being unveiled to be honest. But still, AQUA HORSE.

If Keldeo is going to be revealed this next week, we can expect Kyurem's new form to be revealed in the next weeks also.

Edit: Also, I made a video of the Keldeo Event 2 years ago.

If someone is intrested on how the event works you can check it here.

Edited by Tmsp
  • Thumbs Up 1

Alright, going by Verte's find as to the Kyurem's second form placeholder in Black/White's coding, it does bring up something worthy of discussion.

At this rate, I'm not entirely sure if Pokémon Grey/Gray (with Kyurem as box art) will happen on the Nintendo DS. It's been normal that the 3rd instalment would follow soon after the releases of the original duo as that has been a given since Gen 1 (Pikachu), and that it would be the extra main legendary on the cover as of Gen 2 (Suicune, thus putting more emphasis on the Legendary Dogs), with the new form as of Gen 4 (Giratina's new Forme).

This time, things are bit different now since Nintendo shifted gears when it comes to portable hardware, and went ahead another generation.

That being said, should Pokémon Grey/Gray indeed come to fruition, will it be the final best game on the DS (in the same manner as Skyward Sword is said to be for the Wii) and follow its Black and White brethren? Or will the game be a 3DS exclusive (if so, will it still be able to connect, trade and battle with the other two?) to take advantage of the new hardware?

What do you guys think?

Edited by VizardJeffhog

That being said, should Pokémon Grey/Gray indeed come to fruition, will it be the final best game on the DS (in the same manner as Skyward Sword is said to be for the Wii) and follow its Black and White brethren?

As a DS game, doubt it, since the originals already showed of the graphical potential of the system.

As a Pokemon game, also no. Many of B/W's problems are rooted in the core of it's design that a simple revamp won't be able to fix.

I'll be pissed if it's on DS. The system's dead now, and there's no reason to pull an idiotic move like that.

The DS may be dead... but the 3DS isn't alive!

I kind of hope it's on the 3DS because then there would presumably be enough change to warrant buying it despite the disappointment that Black was, and that would give me enough reasons to buy a 3DS in general. On the other hand I hope it's on the DS so I won't convince myself to buy it and suffer through Unova again.

That being said, should Grey/Gray be available for the 3DS, Unova Pokémon might already be available for the Dream World by then. So, the inability to connect to Black and White might not be an issue should that be the case.

Meh, Black was my favorite Pokemon game (very, very slightly beating out Soul Silver) because of the mechanics and general tone of everything, so I'd be up for playing a Gray Version, especially if it'll be on 3DS.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait, why won't it connect with Black and White? The games interact via IR or wireless, and the 3DS is the home system for my Pokemon White as it is. It talks to the DS and Black just fine; so why should that stop with the new game?

There's basically much no way a new main Pokemon game won't be on the 3DS. The DS as a console has basically been abandoned by Nintendo now, and by the time Grey (or whatever) comes out in Japan, let alone the rest of the world, the 3DS will have been out for a year and a half. And that's quite aside from the fact that Nintendo will want the new game to be on the 3DS to sell more units.

Today's dose of Serebii.net with a few more details concerning Keldeo and the Nobunaga's Ambition crossover.

In The Games Department

Pokémon Black & White - Keldeo

The first images of CoroCoro are continuing to come with the first shown about the new movie. This image shows the image of Keldeo, the Colt Pokémon, who is part of the Muskedeers. It also reveals the new title of the movie. The movie is to be calledKyurem VS The Sacred Swordsman - Keldeo (キュレムVS聖剣士 ケルディオ). No further information about Keldeo has been shown but we will provide it as soon as it comes.

keldeo2big.jpg

In The Games Department

Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition

The next images of CoroCoro have also been released through Japanese forums, dealing with the upcoming game; Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition. This scan doesn't reveal much due to clarity at this time, but does showcase the evolution of Pokémon within this game as well as showing that the appearance of the various leaders changes with experience. It also shows the various new Bashou Leaders promised within this issue.

First, Mitsunari Ishida is teamed with the Pokémon Pawniard

Kiyomasa Kato is teamed with the Pokémon Fraxure

Masanori Fukushima is teamed with the Pokémon Krokorok

Newly revealed leader Yoshihiro is teamed with Gurdurr

Newly revealed leader Kanetsugu is teamed with Gardevoir

nobunagascan0211big.jpg

I firmly think Grey will just be on the DS, just for consistecy's sake with Black & White, especially since backwards compatibility with a game within the same generation makes no fucking sense.

Welp, since this is the official Pokemon Thread, I might as well ask a question that's been bugging me since the first time I ever played Pokemon.

14545704.jpg

At this point it seems less likely that they'd release it on the DS. Releasing a new Pokemon on the 3DS would not only boost sales (which Nintendo needs) but the end of this year/early next year (when the game would be out if it was released most likely) seems like a long time for the DS when Nintendo is intent of moving on to the next handheld.

It's all speculation at this point, but the DS seems almost done with in terms of main Nintendo franchises.

Edited by The Kid

Ken-Sugimori-Keldeo-official-artwork.jpg

Hmmmm. I think I like his sprite better than Ken's art this time.

Edited by PSI Freeze