Awoo.

The Pokémanz Thread

ovarloard

Am I allowed to say get hype? Probably.

What I'm hoping for; 3DS Gen6 game or 3DS Gen6 RSE remake (a Gen5 RSE remake at this point would be stupid).

But I'm thinking I shouldn't get too hyped, Serebii also said there will be a new promotional item for the next movie and those things usually turn out to be... new formes.

And a new forme implies BW3 or maybe even a 3DS remake of BW2. (Or if we're lucky, RSE remakes).

But of course Gens usually come out once every 4 years, it's always possible the new Pokémon will be an early reveal a la Togepi/Kecleon/Munchlax, and even if this new announcement isn't Gen6 you can expect a Gen6 announcement late next year or early 2014.

All in all though, I think I'll be happy as long as it's on 3DS and uses analogue stick to move (a totally new engine)...... but I really do think the chances of BW3/BW2 port on 3DS/GenV RSE are relatively likely and wouldn't be surprising.. I just hope I'm wrong.

Honestly, I would love RSE Remakes but if they make it on Gen5 and release Gen6 less than a year later I would feel it's a big wasted opportunity. Plus, I just desperately want them to move on from the DS and the old tired engine.

It couldn't really be considered Gen 6 if it was remakes since it'd be doing nothing new.

and FUCK YES I want my Hoenn remakes (as long as they don't butcher the remixes)

Edited by Underaged Hot Anime Girl

Whatever this announcement is, I hope it can rekindle my interest in the series. Pokémon is built on an unchanging formula. It works, but after 5 Generations of it (including 4 Generations of 3 clone games, with 2 Generations being remade and the most recent Generation having clone sequels), I'm gagging for something new. It's gotta be a fresh new look for Gen VI or a Wii U game following in the creative footsteps of Colo and XD. Otherwise I won't be interested will be interested but will vehemently deny it before purchasing on day one.

• Thumbs Up 3

It couldn't really be considered Gen 6 if it was remakes since it'd be doing nothing new.

and FUCK YES I want my Hoenn remakes (as long as they don't butcher the remixes)

I would consider it Gen6 if they give it a new game engine built for ground up on 3DS, I would then assume that the defining Gen6 games would look the same and trading Pokémon between the two would be possible, etc.

Basically I really want a new engine I don't want to be stuck in GBA/DS land anymore and I'll be sad if RSE is limited to the old engine when the new one is surely just a couple of years away.

Because of this I would rather get Gen6 before potential RSE remakes because they usually don't release remakes before the Gen defining titles.

(ngl I would be really happy for Gen3makes even if they were running on DS/Gen5 engine, however I'd still prefer a new engine!

I'm just

so fed up of only being able to walk 4 directions, mang.

Gimme some of that sweet sweet 3DS analogue lovin'.)

• Thumbs Up 2

(ngl I would be really happy for Gen3makes even if they were running on DS/Gen5 engine, however I'd still prefer a new engine!

I'm just

so fed up of only being able to walk 4 directions, mang.

Gimme some of that sweet sweet 3DS analogue lovin'.)

Pokémon in its current state is a bit... archaic? Full directional movement is just one of the things that would spruce it up a bit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Forgive my memory if I'm wrong, but can't you move in all directions in Pokémon Ranger? Couldn't they just apply that to a main Pokémon game?

Full 3D is fine, but if they do go that route, I hope the characters and Pokemon are somewhat cel-shaded in appearance while in a full 3D environment, to mimic the half&half 2D/3D look that they've been doing with Generations 4 and 5.

Forgive my memory if I'm wrong, but can't you move in all directions in Pokémon Ranger? Couldn't they just apply that to a main Pokémon game?

They could, but iirc it's not made by GameFreak and it runs on a totally different engine which focuses on touch screen control for the entire game. methinks GameFreak really need an excuse to add all-directional movement before they actually will.

On the 3DS, there is literally no excuse to have 4 directional movement anymore - the main movement option isn't the D-Pad.

Of course I could end up eating my words and Gen6 will just look like another spruced up GBA game where you can only move 4 directions and listen to MIDI music.

(Don't get me wrong I love Gen4 and 5 but yes, archaic is the word, I just got that feeling that GameFreak were too hesitant to change things at all and I'm seriously worried we'll be stuck with GBA quality forever)

Edited by SuperLink

Like SuperLink said, Ranger isn't related in the slightest. For the sake of comparison, it's like saying "they have cars in All Stars Racing, couldn't they just apply it to Generations?". I don't see why they didn't add 8-way movement to Gen V at least though. But Ranger is only related to the other Pokémon games by name and concept. As a piece of software everything outside the main series is totally different.

Like SuperLink said, Ranger isn't related in the slightest. For the sake of comparison, it's like saying "they have cars in All Stars Racing, couldn't they just apply it to Generations?". I don't see why they didn't add 8-way movement to Gen V at least though. But Ranger is only related to the other Pokémon games by name and concept. As a piece of software everything outside the main series is totally different.

I wasn't comparing the games, I was just saying couldn't they just do touch screen movement in all directions like that?

I wasn't comparing the games, I was just saying couldn't they just do touch screen movement in all directions like that?

I know you weren't comparing them, but I thought you were suggesting that one mechanic could easily be copied from one game to the other. Theoretically, yes they could do touch screen movement, but why bother when the 3DS exists with an analogue stick? They need to ditch the DS already. Give me a Pokémon game that isnt just a glorified GBA game.

EDIT: Wii U buggers up quoting. Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just wish they'd make a main series Pokémon game with as much care in the story as the PMD games. Black and White (and B&W2) were a step forward in the story department, but I'd love to see more.

• Thumbs Up 1

From what I heard, they want to keep Pokémon 2D for as long as possible, this could simply be continue using sprites for battles or how we have it now

They had the chance to make the step into 3D with the DS and didn't bother. I don't see it happening, but who knows.

They'd have to have made completely new models for everything for that, and even then, the DS is hardly capable of much. The Pokedex app shows that they already have fully functional 3D models for all of the Pokemon now, so it's looking much more likely now than before.

Because top-down game standards are for pussies!

Edited by Frost
  • Thumbs Up 1

Whatever it is, I hope it's Gen 6 or maybe a platform game spin off. As much as I want RSE remakes, they're not happening. Groudon and Kyogre were just released as downloads on the game's 10th Anniversary. And a lot of Gen 3 Pokemon were in BW 2.

I wonder what the next Pikachu spin off will be.

I dunno if any of you played the Spectrobes series, but I'd love Gen6 to take some inspiration from it. Mostly the more dynamic battling, though I can't see Game Freak letting you control the trainer in the same way.

It'd be kinda cool though. You could use the touch screen to set up moves in real time for your AI-controlled Pokémon to use, while you run around the battlefield, chucking items to help or hinder the combatants, or even capture Pokémon. Maybe it could use the 3DS' gyroscope to physically aim your items, kinda like Dream Radar...?

Whatever it is, I hope it's Gen 6 or maybe a platform game spin off. As much as I want RSE remakes, they're not happening. Groudon and Kyogre were just released as downloads on the game's 10th Anniversary. And a lot of Gen 3 Pokemon were in BW 2.

I wonder what the next Pikachu spin off will be.

There could have been lots of Gen 3 Pokémon in BW 2, but that doesn't mean anything. Hoenn its the only region you can't visit using the current Nintendo handheld and like R/G and G/S it deserves a remake.

Edited by Tmsp

It deserves a remake but that doesn't make it likely. For one thing, I doubt it'd sell that well, it doesn't have the reputation the first two Gens have.

But that's neither here nor there, GF are weird so I won't pretend I know what they're gonna do.

And yeah I'm also worried they'll just keep using 2D games forever, I hope I'm wrong though. The thing is, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and most of the spinoffs aren't developed by GameFreak at all which might explain their higher development budgets and better stories.

However... Pokédex 3D is indeed developed by GameFreak iirc.

Which means yes, they have pretty decent 3D models and I'm hoping they didn't just make them for apps when the apps could have been spritebased instead. I mean yeah, I'd like a Pokémon game with full movement and gorgeous HD sprites, but models would still be an improvement from what we have now.

Pokémon in its current state is a bit... archaic? Full directional movement is just one of the things that would spruce it up a bit.

Don't forget a seamless, real-time battle system. Or even what FFX did. :D