Awoo.

The Pokémanz Thread

ovarloard

Regardless of that, I have been wondering if GameFreak might update X/Y to be ORAS compatible, given that that's something they are now capable of doing (but couldn't for previous generations).  It would mean that they can keep on pushing X/Y as complete and up-to-date, but maybe they'd rather we just wait for Z.

I hope they consider patching compatability, if only so that I could battle with my XY team against ORAS players without having to move them off my Y version.

Oh yeah. While I'm here, do you guys have any moveset suggestions for an Unburden Sceptile? I happened to get a HA treecko, and I'm really excited to start playing with it. Sceptile's one of my favorite grass starters, after all.

XY and ORAS are both Gen6 games, they're going to be compatible anyway even without a patch.

You can fight HGSS players with copies of Diamond/Pearl, even though the games were released 4 years apart. If they patch anything, it'd be the existence of Megas or new formes that are available in ORAS but not in XY, but for all we know those are already coded into XY because I don't think hackers have found every little thing yet.

I do find the fact that the games are basically hacked to pieces as soon as they're out does kind of spoil things a bit. 

I mean, we all know everything regarding event Pokémon etc long before they're even announced, it does sort of take away from any possible surprise. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

I do find the fact that the games are basically hacked to pieces as soon as they're out does kind of spoil things a bit. 

I mean, we all know everything regarding event Pokémon etc long before they're even announced, it does sort of take away from any possible surprise. tongue.png

I still remember how people where saying that X and Y would never be hacked since the 3DS was hack proof so everything was going to be a surprise. Well, it took some time unlike BW that had everything leaked two days after release, but it sure as hell was hacked.

I'm only surprised that we haven't heard any new news about the PokéGTS thingy.

I still remember how people where saying that X and Y would never be hacked since the 3DS was hack proof so everything was going to be a surprise. Well, it took some time unlike BW that had everything leaked two days after release, but it sure as hell was hacked.

Oh, what PokéGTS thing? D:

Admittedly I'm still a bit peeved that hacked Pokémon are still an issue (I think? Do Pokémon generators exist for Gen 6 yet?). As someone adamant on completing the Pokédex 100% legit, having to worry about fake Pokémon is a pain.

Also, I do find it weird when people use full teams of shiny Pokémon online, because it basically screams "Hey, I cheated".

I mean, we all know everything regarding event Pokémon etc long before they're even announced, it does sort of take away from any possible surprise. tongue.png

That's one thing I like about XY, 3DS is much harder to hack than DS so even though it's been hacked, it took ages to do and we still don't actually know much about the things obtained through hacking.

Well, it took some time unlike BW that had everything leaked two days after release, but it sure as hell was hacked.

It was hacked, but it hasn't had its guts spilled open like previous games have, there are still many things we don't know. Who knows, future Pokémon games may be even more hack proof.

I feel like it'll be tougher to get hacked 'mons into XY now that DS wifi is down. As far as I can tell, it is very hard to hack Kalos native Pokémon. AR has a shiny code, and I think there are some slight Pokémon modifier tricks, but for shinies, the easiest way to tell you have a hack is if it's NOT Kalos-native and has perfect IVs in every stat. Most Kalos shinies are legit, barring shiny Xerneas/Yveltal/Zygarde.

Personally, I'm grateful for this. Breeding competitive Pokémon is so much easier now, so there's no need to really use cheats to build a good team.

Ah, so Pokémon generators for Gen 6 aren't a thing yet? Phew.

I guess that would explain the insane amount of shinies you see online though. XD Personally I don't see much appeal of shinies, most of them just look off or weird IMO.

Ah, so Pokémon generators for Gen 6 aren't a thing yet? Phew.

I guess that would explain the insane amount of shinies you see online though. XD Personally I don't see much appeal of shinies, most of them just look off or weird IMO.

Not just yet, but they're working on it and it'll probably be done before too long (unfortunately)

Also there is a cloning glitch in Gen6 iirc that works pretty well :/

There's another reason why shinies are so abundant, actually. With Shiny Values uncovered, people can use tools like KeyBV and Powersaves to find out the shiny value of an egg. Online communities like SVExchange exist so that people can find and hatch shiny eggs and/or host giveaways. Basically, instant gratification that's stil legit. It removes the surprise factor and makes acquiring shinies a simple task, but for those who like the surprise factor or putting forth the effort of Masuda breeding, I can see how it'd be frustrating.

But beyond that, there aren't any solid Pokémon generators at this stage, and with official tournaments only allowing Kalos native Pokémon, I get the feeling that Pokégen 'mons will eventually be a thing of the past. We just need some stinking move tutors in ORAS. u_u

Yeah, it does suck that the surprise is gone but when people are curious and have the means to pry out any hidden information, they'll exploit it and share it to the world. Stuff like the unreleased event pokemon are hard news to ignore.

Also, I do find it weird when people use full teams of shiny Pokémon online, because it basically screams "Hey, I cheated".

Although they do use hacked pokemon, at least they are legit pokemon to use (in Gen 6 anyway). Those pokemon have legit abilities and legit stats so they are viable. People usually hack them because they don't want to spend the time hatching for shinies (took me over 1000 eggs to get my shiny Honedge) and don't want to spend too much time getting those perfect ivs and evs. Plus, there's a lot of cool shiny pokemon out there so it'd be a waste not to use them.

As for people using unreleased pokemon, pokemon with illegal abilities, and shiny locked pokemon in battle there's really not much I can say about that. At least when I battle competitively, I don't usually see them used against me so I don't think it's a huge issue. 

I don't think it's really fair to say people with full shiny teams are hackers, though. I have a fair number of shiny Pokémon I bred myself-- I just had other people hatch them for me. Shininess is really just an aesthetic thing, and I'd argue that it's still pretty tough to breed a perfect egg and then find someone with the right SV. I can't even imagine going through the Masuda Method to get the right EV spread on top of that. +_+

Though it's odd. I've seen a few people running Contrary Serperior and Mega Latios/Latias in the past. It makes me wonder why they never bothered releasing the HA Unova starters. Aren't all the other starters available with HAs now? O_o

Oh, what PokéGTS thing? D:

PokéGTS was a site where you could upload, share and download Pokémon created through Pokégen and the likes. It also featured a distribute option that you could use to send one Pokémon to your DS via GTS. This was rather helpful since you didn't need any devices to send or receive them. Just upload your file, click distribute, change a few of your DS wi-fi settings, go to GTS and voilà!

Obviously this doesn't work with X and Y, but some dudes started working on it and on a certain day, this happened:

sgvBl0Q.jpg

The first 6th gen hacked Pokémon, Wireshark.

As far as I know, after this no documented progress was done.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you interested in the tournament scene, the National Championships will be broadcast on Twitter this year.

National_Champs_logo_GEN_EN_72ppi_RGB.pn
BELLEVUE, WA—June 5, 2014—The Pokémon Company International announced today that the 2014 Pokémon US National Championships, taking place July 4–6 in Indianapolis, Indiana, will be streamed live for the first time, featuring two days of coverage of the Pokémon X and Pokémon Y video game and Pokémon Trading Card Game (TCG) competitions. The 2014 Pokémon World Championships, taking place August 16–17 in Washington, DC, will also be streamed live. Fans can follow the action from both events at Twitch.tv/Pokemon.

Visit Twitch.tv/Pokemon at the following times to watch the 2014 Pokémon US National Championships:
Saturday, July 5, noon–5 p.m. EDT: Pokémon Video Game Swiss Rounds
Saturday, July 5, 5–9 p.m. EDT: Pokémon TCG Swiss Rounds
Sunday, July 6, 9 a.m.–2 p.m. EDT: Pokémon TCG Top Cut and Finals
Sunday, July 6, 2–5 p.m. EDT: Pokémon Video Game Top Cut and Finals

Competitors and fans attending the US National Championships can get a special Shiny Mamoswine for their video game. This powerful Pokémon is similar to the Mamoswine used by 2013 Pokémon World Champion Arash Omatti, the first Pokémon video game World Champion from Italy. The Level 50 Shiny Mamoswine has an Adamant Nature, comes with the Thick Fat Ability, and holds a Choice Scarf item. This Mamoswine also knows the following moves: Icicle Spear, Earthquake, Icicle Crash, and Rock Slide. Those attending the US National Championships and interested in receiving this Mamoswine will need to bring their own copy of Pokémon X or Pokémon Y and their own system in the Nintendo 3DS family.

The US National Championships is open to all Pokémon X and Pokémon Y video game players. Pokémon TCG players in the Junior and Senior Divisions must have earned 5 Play! Points during the current Pokémon Championship Series season in order to compete, and Masters Division players must have earned 10 Play! Points. Qualified players interested in preregistering to attend the 2014 Pokémon US National Championships can now conveniently and quickly do so at the following link: http://2014.registration.pokemon.com.

Nearly 500 Pokémon video game and TCG players have already received Travel Awards or Travel Stipends to the 2014 Pokémon US National Championships based on the Championship Points they earned throughout the year at city, state, and regional events. Altogether, more than $300,000 in Travel Awards and Travel Stipends have been awarded to competitors attending the US National Championships this year by The Pokémon Company International.

Visit Pokemon.com, Like the official Pokémon Facebook page at Facebook.com/Pokemon, and follow @Pokemon on Twitter.

I notice that most people on the Serebii forums hate the 5th generation of Pokemon while favoring the 4th generation while people on Bulbagarden forums hate the 4th gen and favors the 5th.

property%20management%20park%20city%202.

That's interesting. I generally favour Gen 4 more since it's the Gen that brought us Lucario, Spiritomb and Buizel (yes, I like Buizel XP) and it also has stronger overall Starters, while Gen 5 has sub par Starters (the only "good" ones being Serperior and Samurott) and most of the Pokemon designs are weird. Not to mention most of these Pokemon aren't very strong and are practically useless like Alomomola and Audino.

I think the only thing I didn't like about Gen 4 was that there were too many last Gen evolutions and to get them it was through the stupid, convoluted trading, but other than that it was a pretty good Gen!

As far as designs (both Pokémon and characters) go I love Gen5. It's everything else, the music, the poorly designed linear region and routes, the bridges, the pretentious plot, the soulless, robotic writing (you could take a line said by any character, give it to another character, and no one would be able to tell, they all had the exact same personality 90% of the time), that I didn't like.

Gen4 is the opposite for me.. I love all of those things about it but find that the Pokémon and character designs in it are some of my least favs in the series. It just never bugged me because in Platinum you can get like everything from every gen so it was just a grand ol' time. Also the character designs are still great anyway even if I don't love them as much as others..

/opinions.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lol, I'm different entirely. I've loved every Gen's regions and Pokemon designs, but Gen 6 as a whole was really boring to me. Apart from a fair few I really don't like Gen 6's Pokemon designs at all. And I felt the game as a whole was trying too hard to be different. Like nearly every few minutes or so the game had to remind you you're in France. Unova was based on New York but atleast that didn't keep reminding you about America every 5 minutes. :/ And the designs went well with the other 4 regions. Kalos is just...I can't even put it into words. It just didn't feel like a Pokemon game to me. I just hope the sequels or Pokemon Z fix this.

Gen 6 had Tyrantrum, though. Best dude around.

Design-wise I'd probably rate it something like 1>2>4>5>6>3, though I have some favorites in every gen. Gen V has a lot of Pokémon I love, but in general I like most less than other gens. Krookodile and Chandelure are the highlights of the generation for me.

Gen6 wins on the same merits as Gen4 to me. It may not have had the best Pokémon designs or even the best character designs, but its region design was interesting and compelling, generally well designed and fun to explore (except maybe Lumiose..), it didn't take itself seriously and had great music. Plus it had such a great mix of Pokémon from every gen that I didn't mind that the new bunch were underwhelming. It was great to see the Gen5 mons mingling a little more and generally seeing Pokémon from every part of the franchise's history getting some time to shine with the new visuals.

In terms of designs for me (for both characters and Pokémon) it's probably;

5>3>1>2>4>6

But in terms of overall game enjoyment it's a hugely different story;

4>6>3>2>5>1

(gen1 is low because RGBY have aged and FRLG just felt off to me, if Gen1 got another remake or revisit of some kind that did the originals justice I'd probably enjoy it much more than Gen5 and maybe even Gen2)

I feel like BW - and very explicitly not B2W2 - is my favourite Pokemon game in terms of plot because they actually got the pacing right for once.  Stuff happened throughout the game and the plot didn't come to an inexplicable climax before the eighth gym.  In the vast majority of Pokemon games, there is a huge climbdown in terms of drama and intensity after the conclusion of the Team subplot, and of course there's a critical logic problem there in that the final gym leader and the Pokemon League are more than capable of dealing with the villains themselves, so why don't they?  BW's the only Pokemon game that doesn't have this problem, and every single other one gets it wrong.  I don't understand why GameFreak have such difficulty putting the dramatic climax at the end of the game.

Unova definitely isn't my favourite region, though.  That's Sinnoh.  It's been a long time since I've visited, but my memory of it is of it being more wild and rugged and unexplored than every other region.  I don't like how civilised most Pokemon regions are; you're always conscious of being somewhere that countless other people have already walked through before you.  But what I want from a Pokemon region is to feel like I'm exploring somewhere, rather than just... touring the region, I guess.  Admittedly I would like every game I play to be an exploration game, but I feel like Pokemon benefits, given that you're meant to be out discovering Pokemon.

Since I've mentioned Sinnoh, I thought I'd drop here that I fully expect Origin Forme Giratina to one day be retconned into a Mega Evolution - though they might not call it Mega Evolution per se (like with Ancient Devolution).  Origin Giratina is clearly a proto-Mega.  You give Giratina a special rock, and it changes into a cooler form with better stats - if that isn't Mega Evolution, what is?

Origin Forme is literally Giratina's normal appearance in its home, the Distortion World.

Altered Forme is the shape it takes because of our (er, their) dimension's gravity so it can move around better.

Or something to that effect.

I think the only thing I didn't like about Gen 4 was that there were too many last Gen evolutions and to get them it was through the stupid, convoluted trading, but other than that it was a pretty good Gen!

That annoyed me about Gen 4 as well. I mean, did Rhydon and Electabuzz and the like really need a third evolution? =|

I do like Glaceon though and consider it one of my favorite designs of the Eeveelutions.

Pokémon-wise I really disliked gen 5. They had this wonderful idea to "reboot" the series and what do we get? Counterparts. Counterparts everywhere.

Patrat/Rattata, Purrloin/Meowth, Munna/Drowzee, Blitzle/Ponyta, Roggenrola/Geodude, Woobat/Zubat and so on. You could just say that Pokémon reuses the same creatures every gen, but when it comes to gen 5 it's a different situation. Most Pokémon try too hard to be previous gens replacements. Audino, the Roggenrola/Timburr line and Sawk/Throh are the worst offenders when it comes to this.

Still, it had some Pokémon that I liked, Hydreigon, Zoroark, Scrafty, Krookodile and Leavanny.

• Thumbs Up 2