Awoo.

The Pokémanz Thread

ovarloard

13 minutes ago, TCB said:

I can't wait for No Guard Fissure Machamp to be a thing thanks to Pokemon Bank/RBY VC connectivity 

And then its IV's will be no more than 15 >:)

• Thumbs Up 2

The website itself says its a new adventure, with new Pokemon. I'm almost certain we're getting new starters and that this in fact, Generation VII. It makes me wonder how early into the development they are if they haven't even revealed the starters or box legendaries though, even X  & Y's initial reveal had that.

11 minutes ago, Marcello said:

It can't be all that early considering it's coming this year.

Eh, maybe they just wanna hype up every Pokemon reveal.

Higher res images of the screenshots

There are Pokemon in them trucks

1456510900101.jpg

Open in new window for highest res.

• Thumbs Up 2

So over/under on how many new Pokemon we getting this Gen? The even number generations tend to get the lower numbers while the odd number generations tend to get the higher numbers.

15 minutes ago, TCB said:

So over/under on how many new Pokemon we getting this Gen? The even number generations tend to get the lower numbers while the odd number generations tend to get the higher numbers.

Let's see

Gen II had 100 new mons

Gen III had 135 new mons

Gen IV had 107

Gen V had 156

Gen VI, not counting Mega Evolution, had 72

So hopefully we get at least 100 this time around.

• Thumbs Up 4

130 would be nice. We'd be at 851 then, similar to gens 1 & 2.

Also, it's cut off on the pic, but next to Chinchou on the hotel murals there's Magikarp, Horsea and I think Krabby.

• Thumbs Up 1

Off topic but thinking about it in the Sun and Moon thread about Evs made me wonder about something.

Will they fix the little things in the Gen 1 3DS ports? I mean like Ghost being effective on Psychic and improved AI so that Lance's Dragonite doesn't spam Agility on that Level 3 Zubat.

I'm wondering how they'll compare to the originals.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Crow the BOOLET said:

Off topic but thinking about it in the Sun and Moon thread about Evs made me wonder about something.

Will they fix the little things in the Gen 1 3DS ports? I mean like Ghost being effective on Psychic and improved AI so that Lance's Dragonite doesn't spam Agility on that Level 3 Zubat.

I'm wondering how they'll compare to the originals.

From what I've heard and seen, and from what the Pokemon company is saying, the games are going to be exactly the same, aside from having the ability to wirelessly battle and trade. Oh and transferring the Pokemon up of course. That means no fixing glitches and etc.

For instance we do know that Missingno. is still available in the game.

40 minutes ago, N8te said:

From what I've heard and seen, and from what the Pokemon company is saying, the games are going to be exactly the same, aside from having the ability to wirelessly battle and trade. Oh and transferring the Pokemon up of course. That means no fixing glitches and etc.

For instance we do know that Missingno. is still available in the game.

That and the Mew Truck glitch, among others I assume. Yup other than the aforementioned things you said GF is keeping these releases as faithful to the originals as possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

What do you think would happen if you try to transfer Missingno into the new games? It'd probably just be untransferable, but it'd be so funny if they actually acknowledged it hehe

decided that for nostalgia's sake, I went back and watched the very first episode of the anime (yes with the original 4Kids dub cast), and looking back I can say a few things:

1. Pikachu's a bit of a jerk until the rainstorm
  2. That green Pokéball in the opening was a Safari Ball
  3. Those filler noises for Squirtle, Charmander, and Bulbasaur were not just because they hadn't gotten the voices yet, but they are reminiscent of the cries in the game.
  4. There were already teasers for Gen II when Ho-Oh appeared at the end.

And possibly the best way to enjoy the intro: listen to Xander Mobus attempt to sing it.

I'm looking forward to getting a copy of Pokémon Yellow tomorrow. My cartridge's battery died last year when I working on a playthrough (with a rival character named after a friend of mine), so I'm hoping to get another shot at that one. I'm even planning my team out a bit right now because I don't want to rely on all the starters like I tend to (I'll definitely have Pikachu and I'll shuffle around the other three before I decide which one to take to the end). Sorta bummed that Yellow doesn't come with two Pokémon I really want, Magmar and Meowth, but oh well (maybe someone can hook me up...?).

Fortunately my original Red and Blue still work (I imagine it's a matter of time, sadly), and I'm getting back to my playthrough on my Red, and I'm looking to start another on Blue. Even though the games are dated as all get out, and it's weird going back to these older mechanics (I keep forgetting Bite is a Normal-type move...), I still have a lot of fun playing them and going on an adventure, no matter how many times I've done it before.

I would try the shuffle around method too, but I'm still debating that one. Seeing how the mechanics and leveling in these games are a whole different beast I may only train like three extra mons at the most.

2 minutes ago, TCB said:

I would try the shuffle around method too, but I'm still debating that one. Seeing how the mechanics and leveling in these games are a whole different beast I may only train like three extra mons at the most.

Yeah, that's true. I love the starters, but they tend to make it pretty easy to dominate most of the game, so I want to see how I can best use them without needing them in every instance. I'm not sure how well it's going to work given the older mechanics and slower paced leveling, and because half the mons I am thinking of using instead are found late in the game anyway.

Well other than my initial team I was thinking of using Pikachu, Lapras/Starmie/Vaporeon, Charizard/Arcanine, Aerodyctal, Snorlax and Haunter/Kadabra.

I feel like the Sun/ Moon logo reveal would've had more of a wow factor and would've been more satisfying by itself if they weren't leaked the day before. It's like a christmas present was yanked out of it's box and put in our faces on christmas eve. Because of that, for me it was just like "oh cool Sun & Moon are real, that's cool because I liked the logos and would've been sad if they were fakes." But then I got sad because there wasn't more. Had I not seen the logos until that point I would've been like "WHHOOOAAA" just from the logos alone. It's so different in the age of the internet, it's so hard to keep any surprise under-wraps anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the announcement would've been disappointing even without the leak. It would've been a bit better since we had no idea that we'd be starting a new gen, but they still showed nothing. The XY reveal had gameplay, the starters and the legendary duo.

With Polemon I very much prefer the 'less is more' approach with info getting out there. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I didn't mind too much we didn't see what we gotten with XY was revealed. Rather go into these new games as blind as possible. We may see the starters in the March CoroCoro at the earliest anyway. I'm inclined to wait and see.

I wish they at least showed off better quality pics of the concept art. Currently there's nothing for me to get even the tiniest bit excited for.

Just got Yellow, and it's a bit tough for me right now. Mainly because I got into the series in generation 3 and I'm really used to how mechanics in the series worked from that point on. So needless to say the mechanics to this game really threw me off. 

ESPECIALLY whenever a rival Pokemon ends up using fucking wrap or bind on you because your Pokemon won't be able to do anything to stop them. And God help you if said Pokemon is a grass type that loves to spam poison powder. Ugh.

Anyone else get one of these? I just got red, and its a nostalgia overload. I'm looking to trade/battle if anyone else is interested. Let me know.

Because of the Sun/Moon news, I'm gonna post my expectations/hopes for the franchise's future. But since I'm doing this for the series in general, I'm posting it here rather than the S&M thread. If staff think it belongs there better, they can move it.

Now, let's get started by acknowledging things that have been good changes, throughout all of the series. Because I don't want to sound nitpicky/ungrateful, it's good to see how far we've come. I'll spoiler this because it's long and can be skipped, since we all know what features Pokemon has brought us over time, much of this comes from Bulbapedia because otherwise I couldn't remember all this stuff:

Spoiler

Gen 1: N/A, it was the original so nothing was "changed" obviously. Lots was introduced and it set the foundation for the series, so it's important to list.

Gen 2: Breeding/Genders/baby Pokemon: Gives you a way to get more than one of a majority of Pokemon, solving a lot of trading/evolving issues for collectors. It introduced two types, Dark and Steel, to combat/nerf the overpowered Psychic type Pokemon, who were only weak to Ghost at the time (which sucked back then), and give more use to Fighting types, who were underused back then. They gave different types to some attacks which helped give some Pokemon much needed STAB early on (like Gust and Bite). The splitting of the special stat. Improved inventory management. Registering key items to the select button became a thing. Unique names for Pokemon trainers. Exp All was improved as the Exp Share. The type chart was improved Ghost was supposed to be super effective on Psychic in Gen 1.)  First time there was a female trainer option. Shiny Pokemon became a thing. Happiness also became a thing. Pokerus was a thing now. Day/night was introduced. Berries were also now a thing.

Gen 3: Abilities. A major game-changer. The Pokemon Storage system had its first major rehaul, becoming a graphical interface rather than the previously text-only one. Pokemon contests became a thing. Weather became an in-battle effect. Double battles were introduced. It was the first time international trading was possible. Natures for Pokemon were introduced, another big game-changer. The IV system was rehauled. Every Pokemon now had a unique status-screen sprite, for easy identification. Wireless communication became a thing for the first time. It was now possible to move multiple Pokemon around the PC at the same time. Multi-battles became a thing. Battle Tower and Battle Frontier became a thing. Secret bases were a thing. Running shoes were now a thing.

Gen 4: More storage space in the PC. Better day/night stuff to make up for the lack of it in Gen III. A 3D overworld. The physical/special split for attacks happened. Status moves became their own thing. Buying.selling items now used proper plurals. Names for attacks were now properly capitalized. The Pokedex could now show forms and back sprites. Pokemon contests were improved. Gender differences between Pokemon were emphasized. You could run inside all buildings. Pokemon Eggs hatched into level 1 Pokemon now. Pretty sure this was the first gen to have actual online features.

Gen 5: Rotation./Triple battles were introduced. Wonder Launcher became a thing. Dark Grass became a thing (for wild Double Battles). The mechanic called Phenomenon became a thing. Seasons became a thing. Sprites were now animated at all times. Status conditions causes visual changes to Pokemon, such as color tint or closed eyes. Sprites became full-body and camera zooms became a thing. Music changes under certain conditions. Pokemon names were properly capitalized. TMs NOW HAD INFINITE USE (best change). Trading was improved. Multiple items could now be registered. Poison no longer inflicts damage outside of battle. Elite four could now be battled in any order. Many Pokémon have their experience yield changed, which is no longer limited to 255. Additionally, the experience formula now takes in account difference between Pokémon's level. Habitat list was a thing. Pokemon ability activation was now indicated in text boxes.

Gen 6: Grass types became immune to Spore attacks. Electric types became immune to being paralyzed .Fairy-type was introduced to nerf Dragons, who became kinda OP by Gen V.  Mega evolution became a thing. 8-directional movement was now a thing. Full 3D graphics for the first time in the main series. Sky Battles, Inverse Battles and Horde encounters became a thing. Super training became a thing, and it's super useful. Character customization was a thing for the first (and maybe only) time (outside of possible remakes much later down the line). Pokemon Bank became a thing.Pokemon could now evolve after a battle even if they were knocked out. The experience formula no longer takes in account difference between Pokémon's levels.The type chart was reworked.

I'm probably missing some stuff, and some of these features were game-or-generation specific, which sucks, but they're still improvements I've liked. Now, where can we go from here, you might ask? Well, for starters:

Let you rename Pokemon anywhere (personally I'd also let you rename traded Pokemon but include an option to "lock the name" in place for those that don't want it renamed), and delete/relearn moves anywhere, even HMs. In fact, separate HM battle moves from their field effects. Field effects should be something the Pokemon can innately do, though with a badge requirement to prevent early progress.

Have there be a way to change your Pokemon's IVs post-birth or guarantee good ones, breeding for hours nonstop to get competitive viable Pokemon is monotonous. Make the method to change your Pokemon's ability more easily accessible (its dumb that it's a Battle Tower thing: wouldn't be a problem if you could use Pokedolllars instead of Battle Points- heck offer to buy BP through Pokedollars). Super Training while convenient, can still take more time than other EV training methods- make it less time consuming/more convenient than the other options.

There's probably other stuff I can think of but these things bug me a lot. Entering the competitive scene has slowly but surely opened up for more people thanks to conveniences given, but there's still a lot can be done so that the bar for entry is lowered (which is always a good thing, as more players would be able to at least enter the competitive scene: whether they improve enough to stay.get anywhere is on them).