Awoo.

The Pokémanz Thread

ovarloard

People say the 20th movie hints at Diamond/Pearl remakes because the starters from those games were shown. This is just going one step further.

I hope they wait for Gen 8 for the D/P remakes. Gen 8 will presumably be Switch exclusive and a big step up in presentation.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, DarkRula said:

Can you imagine what the reaction would be if Stars was a 3D Kanto remake with Sun and Moon 'mon and a plot unrelated to gyms?

I'm pretty sure an announcement is getting closer though.

Kanto has much unique potential, especially what you are describing some sort of one that would occur either around a similar time to Sun and Moon and perhaps even farther into the future.  Silph Co. for example continued to exist, so, what new discoveries and inventions happened or would be about to happen?

Could there be any ancient legendaries hidden and asleep somewhere in the region that had been forgotten by time?   

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Zaysho said:

Since we don't even know if it's even Switch-centric I moved this over to the main Pokémon thread.

Out of curiosity, where was this originally found?

Found it in this Neogaf thread. 

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1367398&page=100000

Also Tom Philips is doubling down on Stars being real. 

1 hour ago, DarkRula said:

Can you imagine what the reaction would be if Stars was a 3D Kanto remake with Sun and Moon 'mon and a plot unrelated to gyms?

I would completely hate that, personally. The Gen 1 nostalgia cash-in has got to stop at some point. 

• Thumbs Up 1

While rationally the idea of Gen I remakes makes sense (if R/S/E needed remaking, so do FR/LG, right?), I would be loath to accept re-remakes; they would have to at least pretend to be actual sequels - Red 2 and Blue 2, in other words - or I might also accept Thunder Yellow, I suppose, since it would at least be different.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, FFWF said:

While rationally the idea of Gen I remakes makes sense (if R/S/E needed remaking, so do FR/LG, right?), I would be loath to accept re-remakes; they would have to at least pretend to be actual sequels - Red 2 and Blue 2, in other words - or I might also accept Thunder Yellow, I suppose, since it would at least be different.

I just don't get what the point would be. Kanto can be traveled to in four generations already. We've battled the gym leaders, traveled through the towns, and caught all original 151 Pokemon again so many times. Red and Blue are even in Sun and Moon.  The law of diminishing returns has long set in. What else can be done with Gen 1 at this point? I give Mario and Kirby crap for nostalgia rehashing, and Pokemon isn't any different. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Zippo said:

This is beyond weird. 

That event is just to celebrate and advertise the release of the new Guardians Rising TCG expansion pack. I'm going to go to my local ToysRUs early on Saturday so I can get the free eevee figure!

As for a new game, I bet we'll get a teaser by mid June. As much as I'd like Diamond and Pearl remakes, there's just too much that's left to be explored in Sun and Moon that warrants a 3rd version. I don't want a repeat of X and Y where things were cut and never went back to like the full Power Plant, Eternal Floette, and until Gen 7, Zygarde's forms. I hope if Stars does happen it includes cut areas like the Golf Course, adds the following Pokemon feature that was found in data mines, and includes Necrozma's rumored true form. I wouldn't mind Kanto being post game so you can see what Lillie has been up to, but a game that is a solely a Kanto remake would disappoint me unless a lot has changed since we were last there. 

Pokemon Stars Evidence rundown:

The Japanese Pokemon Twitter account tweeted that "Look to the Stars"  merchandise is coming on may 20th. 

An older Direct was moved elsewhere to make room for a new direct. This was done previously a week before the previous Direct. 

7 of the past 8 Pokemon games have gotten major announcements in this week of may. 

Nintendo of America and Japan deleted 
The Pokemon Sun and Moon Direct from YouTube.  Possibly to not muddle the message. 

Pokemon Twitter retweeted and replied to a picture of a Pokeball with Stars. 

Nintendo tweeted that they are holding a Pokemon event at every ToysRUS on Saturday the 13th. 

Many are starting to speculate that we could see something in the morning. 

Let me just point out that we haven't had a third version re-release since Platinum. And every generation has had hints of them doing a third version again, and it's never been what we've expected. Hell, X&Y didn't even have any type of follow up game despite the amount of focus that was given to Zygarde and all the other legendaries that were absent from the game.

I find it strange that after all these years people still anticipate a third version despite it being almost 10 years since that was ever the case.

I'd sooner expect them to straight up re-release Sun and Moon on the Switch than to do a Pokemon Stars.

Black 2 / White 2 were very much a third version in spirit, though.  This is discussed in the Iwata Asks for those games, with Ishihara drawing a direct comparison to Platinum and Emerald, and Masuda indicating that they were already planning on doing two before they came up with the idea of making them literal sequels.  Black 2 / White 2 are a third version which they decided to make as two games, and then decided to develop as narrative sequels.  (For this reason, the term "third version" is really a legacy name, figurative rather than literal; "updated version" might be closer to the mark.)

X/Y is the only exception to the rule of third versions, and it's reasonable to speculate that a possible Z version was shelved because they thought the 3DS's lifespan wouldn't be as long as it's turned out to be, requiring Gen VII to be moved forward.  This also explains why Stars would be on Switch rather than 3DS.

• Thumbs Up 2

BW2 are still exceptions to the rule regardless of what the original intentions were. Or at least they're an evolution of the idea, rather than being 99% the same game again as was the case in Gens I through IV. If the Stars rumour is true, it's going to be a somewhat different scenario yet again, because it'll be on a different platform capable of much, much more.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ehhh, I can't say I'm all that excited since its probably Stars and SM are my least favorite Pokemon games by far. But hey, we'll see.

Should be an interesting brief look at whatever comes, ready for more in-depth stuff at E3.

I doubt it'd be two games getting announced here, but one can seriously hope it might be.

I work up to this

Is..is it happening lads?

If this thing is gonna be on the Switch...woo boy. It could be Stars, which would make it a first to have a current generation switch actual consoles if it is Switch-bound...

So many possibilities that could come out of this.

Got me pumped, whatevs it's going to be. Would be down for some remakes for 3DS. Also, reminded me I still have my HG/SS and Platinum playthroughs unfinished, so I'll get to those this evening. ^_^

So excited for this! Really hoping it's another Alola game. If it's a sequel, I hope the Ultra Beasts are expanded on and we see more of Looker and Anabel!

If it's stars on switch I pray they allow poke bank from the start cause new gen Pokemon honestly suck.  it's why I quit after the second island.

...What the hell? A mobile console and STILL they limit the series to an under-powered handheld hardware?

Getting really fed up with their whiny stance on keeping the series portable when a CONSOLE is just that now.

Time for another terrible looking Pokemon game that looks no better than the DS.