Awoo.

The Pokémanz Thread

ovarloard

looool the in-game trainers are really bad. I went through Ruby with a 100% bug Pokemon team. I mean really..... really?

I don't care if somebody hacks a legit-looking Pokemon because it is still hacked and not trained by the person, those kinds of Pokemon should not even be missed if the game is lost since you didn't work hard on it you just make the stats up and put it on your game.

You fail to realize that the end result is that I more efficiently create a powerful team. You can do whatever you want, but this is what I do, and it's not cheating.

Flint: About the "ban cause i can't play" thing... banning Pokemon that were purposefully overpowered actually makes sense because it makes more Pokemon viable in a team. If some Pokemon weren't banned the entire game would be "who has the best mewtwo arceus groudon rayquaza kyogre darkrai team guys???" That's just my view, though.

I like pokemon for the fact that you can have awesome creatures to train up and go through the story with rather than the competitive element. It's why I have mystery dungeon lolololol.

But yeah, it's hard to choose a favourite one :(. I like Miltank though =D. Moo.

I really really like the Pokemon series but there's a peeve I have in Diamond and Pearl.

The GTS.

Overwhelmingly sabotaged by sheer greed and dubious design.

For the lulz, I occasionally look up 'Magikarp' on the GTS or any other uber crappy, uber common Pokemon and scoff at the disgusting requests. Same goes for any super common or super weak Pokemon. You have to wonder to yourself if people who do this are joking, offering Pokemon like Magikarp for uber rare or legendary pokemon. Possibly what's just as lulzworthy is the requests for Pokemon of legitimately unobtainable levels.

Then there's the glitches. Very often is it that you put up a Pokemon for trade and the sprite image is of the Pokemon you've requested instead of the Pokemon you've put up.

It's also pretty stupid how you can't select a Pokemon you want from the list if it hasn't been seen in the Pokedex. I also find it disappointing that you can't see that stats of the Pokemon you want to trade for. And the cherry on the cake is how Nintendo dictate which Pokemon can and cannot be traded by putting the classic ribbon on certain event Pokemon.

HUUUUGGGEEE missed oppurtunity :(

Whining aside, Pokemon is a classic. Though I am sad at my Diamond repeatedly corrupting and My Pokemon Ranch deleting every single one of my 400+ precious Pokemon when they were transferred back to my DS. The best type is Steel-type, they're so cool and resilient. To me, the strongest generation was definately generation 2. It's a bit of a laugh how a 8 year old GBC game has more functions than the likes of Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald. I considered 3rd generation the weakest Pokemon generation, such a great loss of functions and so many Pokemon look like brainfarts.

For the lulz, I occasionally look up 'Magikarp' on the GTS or any other uber crappy, uber common Pokemon and scoff at the disgusting requests. Same goes for any super common or super weak Pokemon. You have to wonder to yourself if people who do this are joking, offering Pokemon like Magikarp for uber rare or legendary pokemon. Possibly what's just as lulzworthy is the requests for Pokemon of legitimately unobtainable levels.

Must be people who're cloning their Pokemon or trying to evolve the ones that do so when traded. The cloning one's risky, but I did the trading one more often, if only because there's no one (or if Urtheart's busy) to trade with to evolve them. And I think the Pokemon with different sprites can corrupt you game, too, if you're not too careful.

Though mind you, I think there're some Pokemon without the Ribbon, but I think they may've been hacked or just caught in game. I mainly say this cos I managed to gain a Manaphy and two Darkrais yesterday thru the GTS, which I thought was weird.

Love Pokemon! Yellow ftw.

I havn't played some the of the newer ones on the DS, cos I'm waiting for them to come down in price.

I want to go to a Pokemon con!

Currently working on Pokemon Pearl. Got around 300 critters =)

My fave mon are :

~ Persian ~ Meowth ~ Shaymin~ Mew ~ Leafeon ~ Snorlax ~ Teddiursa ~ Ursaring ~ Girafarig ~ Miltank ~ Squirtle ~ Bayleef ~ Infernape ~ Ambipom ~ Tauros ~ Hippopotas ~ Jynx

(please pardon my spelling mistakes >.<)

Edited by HelenBaby

I really really like the Pokemon series but there's a peeve I have in Diamond and Pearl.

The GTS.

Sometimes, people like me are okay with it... I've gotten multiple of each legendary, and I find trading for strange Pokemon fun... my friend had a level 100 Magikarp, and when I moved its HP into the red zone, it used Flail and it damn near killed me.

I've been playing lots of Diamond lately. I'm sort of inbetween casual and insanely hardcore. I can't be bothered with EVs and all that, but I try to keep my team balanced and pay attention to movesets and whatever.

Currently for my teams I just have pokemon organized into six groups and pick one from each, and they are: Charizard, Typhlosion, Blaziken*, Milotic, Feraligatr, Blastoise*, Abomosnow*, Tangrowth, Electivire, Garchomp, Rhyperior, Tyranitar, Bagon* (evolving it obviously), Ampharos, Gallade, Togetic* (also need to evolve), Dusknoir, Metagross (shiny <3), and Umbreon*

* Not really sure about using these, I took about a minute to pick them, so constructive criticism is lovely.

I've got Platinum reserved 'cuz I wanted my sexy Giratina figure. Can't wait for the Battle Frontier now that I've made some good teams. Also going to be attempting the National Pokedex this time around. And without hacking, at that. There goes my social life. Like there was one =P

What I'm really hoping for, though, like so many others, is a GS remake. I bought Gold used and absolutely fell in love with it, but the previous owner had Missingno so by the time I got the 9th badge my save file went boom. Jhoto is a really well made region and the pokemon are my favourite by far. I loved going back to Kanto as well. Would be a great decision for Nintendo too, 'cause they'll rake in the cash with it.

Pokémon is awesome. I love my LeafGreen team with a passion; it's a really wonderful remake. I tend to prefer filling up my Pokédex as opposed In the FireRed ROM that I played, I managed a different team, but I hacked a level 5 Mew early on in the game so I could add him to my roster, because the concept unobtainable Pokémon is just evil. (In fact, I hate the different versions thing too. Damn marketing ploys.)

Emerald was pretty good, but I didn't enjoy the 3Gen roster quite as much. 4Gen looks more interesting, but I haven't properly gotten through any of the versions as of yet. Once I obtain a DS Lite, I might get my hands on Platinum or whatever new version just came out.

EDIT: Why on Earth does "Pokémon" change to "PokA~©mon" whenever I edit.

EDIT: And now the character is changing to a question mark. This is getting ridiculous.

EDIT: Oh SSMB you crazy fuck !! why is this damn thing so much of utter confusion~

fuck it

Edited by Jake

EDIT: Oh SSMB you crazy fuck !! why is this damn thing so much of utter confusion~

Its just a common thing with Invisionboards

Hmm I am actually really looking forward to Pokémon Platinum coming out. I know it is quite a while away but if I am a good girl my friend in the States will send me over a copy when it comes out over there.

I wouldn't go as far as saying I am hardcore with Pokémon when the original 151 were out I could name them all in Numerical order, no big feat really but there are too many now and it confuses me quite a bit.

I do not pay much attention to EVs and all this jazz because it isn't something I really have an interest in I think that takes Pokémon geekdom to a whole new level. I do just love to run around and battle after, it's a lot of hardwork to play the game as sometimes the puzzles (i.e. getting into certain gym leaders sections!) just drive you absolutely insane!

My favourite pokémon are: Growlithe, Arcanine, Blastoise, Charizard, Dragonite, Magikarp, Psyduck, Dewgong, Eevee, Entei, Butterfree, Scyther, Marowak, Nidoking and Clefairy.

Pokémon Yellow was also one of my favourites. I was hoping that there would be a similar one to that brought out for the DS or even a fangame or a hack with updated graphics much like the Fire Red Leaf Green scenario but they never bothered really. Such a pity.

I do not pay much attention to EVs and all this jazz because it isn't something I really have an interest in I think that takes Pokémon geekdom to a whole new level.

Ugh... you don't have to be a geek to not be a scrub. Most Pokemon fanatics don't even know what EV's are, anyway. It takes an entirely different player to want to get into the competitive side of Pokemon.

Uhm prick much courtesy of Strong Bad. Thank you.

Yes it does take an entirely different player. So because I prefer battling to stat building I think the Stat Builders are more geeky and into it on a level I am not. Thus they are MORE geeky than I am as far as Pokémon is concerned.

It's a term that was appropriate to use, just like you would use the word "and."

Don't quite see how that post was pricky in any way, Eil... I didn't insult anyone or anything.

The GTS.

I cant help but agree with this

Then there's the glitches. Very often is it that you put up a Pokemon for trade and the sprite image is of the Pokemon you've requested instead of the Pokemon you've put up.

It might have something to do with nicknames. I once searched Lucario on the GTS and it came up with a Riolu that was nicknamed Lucario

It's also pretty stupid how you can't select a Pokemon you want from the list if it hasn't been seen in the Pokedex.

My guess is that its to prevent the national dex from being completed extremely quickly

I also find it disappointing that you can't see that stats of the Pokemon you want to trade for.

I fully agree with this. It also sucks if you cant see the nature

And the cherry on the cake is how Nintendo dictate which Pokemon can and cannot be traded by putting the classic ribbon on certain event Pokemon.

I dont see why they'd do this

My Pokemon Ranch deleting every single one of my 400+ precious Pokemon when they were transferred back to my DS.

I remember you telling me about this. That must really suck. Did your DS run out of power or did you lose connection during the transfer?

Whining aside, Pokemon is a classic. Though I am sad at my Diamond repeatedly corrupting

My guess is that its because of the ranch transfer

It's a bit of a laugh how a 8 year old GBC game has more functions than the likes of Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald. I considered 3rd generation the weakest Pokemon generation, such a great loss of functions and so many Pokemon look like brainfarts.

I agree with this *CoughGardevoircough* (I really dislike it, dont flame me) but there were a few well designed Pokemon from the 3rd generation.

Currently for my teams I just have pokemon organized into six groups and pick one from each, and they are: Blaziken*

It needs an adamant nature and a choice scarf or its not worth using.

Umbreon*

Umbreon can be an extremely good team healer with the following moves/nature/item

Umbreon (Careful) Chople Berry

EVS-252 HP, 92 Special Defence, 164 Speed

-Mean Look

-Wish

-Baton Pass

-Taunt/Yawn/Protect/Toxic

This is one of Umbreon's most useful sets, and the fairly exclusive Mean Look and Baton Pass combination can be deadly when executed correctly. Trap opponents with Mean Look, then Baton Pass to a reliable counter, or send in a sweeper who can freely set up.

Wish is the most team oriented healing move, and it allows Umbreon to heal both itself and its teammates. Using Wish in conjunction with Baton Pass and Umbreon's naturally low Speed allows Umbreon to switch out after the opponent's attack on the turn Wish will heal, letting it take the blow and heal something that would normally be unable to switch in due to being too weak to take a hit.

The final move slot is open to pretty much anything Umbreon learns, although only the most useful moves are listed here. Taunt and Yawn can be the most effective for getting off a successful Baton Pass. Taunt will absolutely cripple Umbreon if used against it, but at the same time it is a great tool for a Baton Passer, allowing it to stop psuedohazers like Skarmory ruining the whole strategy. Yawn can send a trapped opponent to sleep, making it much easier to send in a team mate. Protect lets Umbreon heal via Wish and Leftovers and can test the waters against enemies with Choice items. Finally, you have Toxic to try and stall out a trapped opponent.

Leftovers is the obvious choice, but Chople Berry lets Umbreon survive one Choice Band Close Combat from Heracross (and any other Fighter), so it can pass Mean Look safely.

(Copied from Smogon because I couldnt be bothered to type up a strategy)

Also for anyone who wants to know how they should EV thier Pokemon and what moves to give them for a competetive match then this is a great place to go to

I recently got back into Pokemon gaming myself (not gonna use that line above the 'E', as it messes up the text here at the SSMB apparently at the moment). About a little under a year ago, I brought my Gameboy Color back out of its hiding spot and started gaming Pokemon Gold, my favourite Pokemon game so far. Once I stepped outside my ingame house, I figured that this was an awesome game that I had missed playing. The gameplay is simply unique, it offers a really great break from most games. It doesn't take months to barely do progress (WoW), and neither does it take just hours to be prepared for everything (CS or whatever). It's a middle thing, and I like that. There simply is something about the atmosphere of the games which feels really awesome, and I will probably always love that.

Shortly after nearly finishing Pokemon Gold, I bought myself a Nintendo DS lite, along with a copy of Pokemon Diamond. There were things I missed, and I wished the tunes were more similar to Pokemon Gold, but I got used to it all. It's an awesome game, and I love it how the Nintendo DS opens for better graphics, gameplay and whatnot for the Pokemon games.

My favourite Pokemon I think seems to be Raichu, and I actually call my Raichu for Diz. Hey, how did I land into a Pokemon game?!

I started playing Pokemon Yellow again on my Gameboy Color. Thing is, I know I played it all through, but I was so young that I cannot remember any of it. =p

I started with Diamond, although I had heard gobs about Pokemon prior to that, and have enjoyed it greatly. I currently have 492 pokemon in my Dex because I can't figure out how to get a Celebi, and I earned nearly all of them myself (except for the Pearl exclusives, which I had to trade for). I can't for the life of me manage to work out the chaining for shinies thing, and haven't seen one in Diamond yet, although I have 3 I imported from Emerald. Favorite pokes? Eevee and the eeveelutions, shinx line (really wish I could get a shiny shinx), linoone ('cause Russet was my first shiny and they look like baby gerbils on My Pokemon Ranch) and Shaymin(land forme, not the mad reindeer).

I can't wait for the post-Platinum WI-Fi releases, though - ToysRUs may have been ubiquitous when Pokemon started but they're a lot rarer now. I'm still trying to work in a trip to get Regigigas around work and finally selling the house - it's 60 miles in the opposite direction from everything. Of course GameStop's no better since it's 60 miles in another direction.

I like collecting shinies my box on Diamond is almost full of LEGIT shinies that only I caught.

Does anyone else like to get shinies?

How the fuck do you guys have the patience to collect enough shiny Pokemon to fill a box.

How the fuck do you guys have the patience to collect enough shiny Pokemon to fill a box.

Lots of chaining (mostly that), random encounter and soft resetting.

There is this amazing resurgence happening at my highschool. Someone talked shit about someone else's old Pokemon in the odd conversation and decided they'd settle things once and for all. So the next day they both restarted their Blue/Red/Yellows and decided to kick eachother's rear ends from the ground up. Out of sheer lulz, amusement, new found love, or a combination of the two, nearly everyone in my friend group and more at study hall have hopped on the bandwagon and restarted their versions as well. Every study hall day is officially Pokemon time, and the lunchtime 4-square games have made Pokemon move Friday's mandatory for all days. It's a shame I'm the only one with a working link cable...everyone bugs me for its use. D:

Few people have anything from Gold and Silver, which most of us with those versions will move onto sooner or later, and even less people own anything from the 3rd or 4th generation due to disinterest and not owning a version of the DS. That's about to change though with the advent of Platinum. Many people are already pre-ordering it so I'll finally have someone to play my Diamond version with.

A few gripes about the newer games would be the fact that the Pokemon pool before you beat the Elite 4 is so incredibly small. I swear there is just no diverse sets in most places. It's just the same Pokemon you found at X but only at higher levels near Y. Then when yo beat the game its like " OH LOL HAY GAIS LEVEL 2 DODUOs ARE LIEK EVERYWHERE NOW K?" Also, I miss the screen shake effects when your Pokemon gets hit like in the Gen 1 games. Why oh why did they take that out?

If someone else would like to help me, I'm trying to get the edge over my buddies for battles. My goal is to make a diverse and unique team in RBY and GSC without going the route my buddies are going...which is just getting a team of starters since legendaries are not tolerated. I haven't found much on metagame guides for the first Gen these days, so what I figure so far in RBY is mainly just hunches. I'm thinking hard about Cloyster, since the before the Special split he is quite the badass due to top of the line Defense and I think an above average Special. I can get a Flareon to cover my fire type and possibly Magneton due to not being hunkered down by being steel just yet. As for the rest of my team, I'm not sure if I should go with. Any tips?

Edited by Rauzaruke