Awoo.

The final battle: Deem Bristow or Mike Pollock

batson

4 hours ago, itsamike said:

I have no desire to stifle criticism. My concern is the spreading of misinformation, so I dropped a little knowledge.

Firstly, cool to see you on the forums!

Secondly, I really don't think I was spreading misinformation. I didn't say anything about the audition process or made assumptions regarding what you were going for with the voice. I just pointed out that your Eggman voice isn't as deep as Bristow's, no matter how you slice it.

Well regardless, as you can clearly see from the majority of replies to this thread, it appears you are the fan favorite, so you can consider yourself number one among Eggmen!😋

Just now, batson said:

Well regardless, as you can clearly see from the majority of replies to this thread, it appears you are the fan favorite, so you can consider yourself number one among Eggmen!😋

Thanks.

I prefer not to think of it as a competition. We're all actors portraying a rôle, in our own way and time. The fact you've seen our performance in the first place shows we've already won the biggest competition of all: the casting process. I fight that battle constantly. Every win is a precious gift.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, itsamike said:

Thanks.

I prefer not to think of it as a competition. We're all actors portraying a rôle, in our own way and time. The fact you've seen our performance in the first place shows we've already won the biggest competition of all: the casting process. I fight that battle constantly. Every win is a precious gift.

I can relate. Not that I'm an actor or anything, but just by being a working man. Making a living always has to be number one. Which is why it bugs me when some Sonic fans do things like insisting that the current writers for the games should quit their gig out of "respect for the franchise" since they "aren't familiar enough with the series" or some crap like that. Once you're an adult, putting food on the table takes priority over respecting the oh-so important lore behind blue hedgehogs, lol.

• Promotion 1

Very nice to see the word of THE Eggman himself. As much as I may be more of a Deem Bristow, Mike is still more ingrained to Eggman to me anyways because of being him for so long and making the character his own. I will always hear Mikes voice first no matter what. I'd honestly love to hear him read out some of the comic lines where Eggman gets to be comical and deadly at the same time, kinda like the Joker. You get the light hearted overtone that gives way to the dark sinister undertone. Always did want to see Eggman do more black/dark comedy.

Hi, Mike! I know voicing Eggman is just another job, but that voice of yours gives many of us very real joy. So, thank you, from the bottom of my heart. You'll always be my favorite Eggy.

I always felt that Robotnik/Eggman has been solidly cast over the years with quality (English) VA's....... with the exception of maybe Gary Chalk as Robotnik in Sonic Underground (although that has nothing to do with his voice talents; his voice didn't seem to fit the role of Robotnik to me). 

If the focus is solely between Deem and Mike, I think Mike delivers a good balance of goofy and serious with Eggman. I've really enjoyed his performances over the years and hope it continues for many years to come.

Deem was solid as Eggman as well and his delivery of "You fool! Away! Before I make mincemeat out of you." is one of my all-time favorites.

I remember Deem for being dark and serious. But Eggman also has a goofy and childish side, and Mike's voice just captures both so well. The peaks and valleys, his e-nun-ci-a-tion and emphasis on certain words, the way he suddenly speeds up his dialogue to downplay things, the snark, and even the girlish screams. All of it immerses you, and makes the character feel real.

And yeah, you can say that voice direction and other studio factors also play a role, but Mike's Eggman consistently sounds amazing, even when other cast members don't. With Mike, at no point have I ever thought, "this guy is reading from a script." So, I think he also deserves credit for that.

Eggman has not really been a dark villain since SA2. Isn't most now more comedy driven. Even in Forces he did not seem like a real threat. But in terms of VA either is fine. But SA2 it was more sinister when he would say "FoxBoy"

• 3 years later...

Ah yes, that time I made a thread about Mike Pollock and the dude actually showed up to discuss the topic. One of my favorite memories as a Sonic fan. 😋

Anyway, I think the topic is still worthy of discussion, and we have gotten many new members since it was first created.

• Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, batson said:

Ah yes, that time I made a thread about Mike Pollock and the dude actually showed up to discuss the topic. One of my favorite memories as a Sonic fan. 😋

Anyway, I think the topic is still worthy of discussion, and we have gotten many new members since it was first created.

That's true and a little off putting. I don't mind talking freely, but I'd hate to have my words seen by the people involved if I'm talking about their work specifically. I'd just hate to come across as rude, but that's never bothered the people that use Twitter in the past. Oh well.

I don't mind Mikes performance, he seemed to be the best from the very start, but I also have similar issues to @Seanof hearing his voice in too many things which takes me out of it a little. Maybe due to how my brain works, I tend to grow attached to the first voice I'd hear of a character, which might be why Deem's Voice and performance always stood out to me more. I also liked his menacing performance and I'd feel that Mike would improve in that aspect when the situation called for it. His Eggman sounded determined and furious during his final Unleashed Boss Battle.

Can I also give a shoutout to Alfred Coleman's take on Eggman? SnapCube's Real Time Fandub is only really done for comedy and content, but I still think Alfred's voice and performance also work pretty well. It might feel strange to have him perform the role seriously as you'd expect him to brag about the time he p***ed on the moon, but nobody is perfect. lol

Mike Pollock 100% for me. Absolutley nails the tone of and character of eggman and has been brilliant in the role since he's had it.

On top of that, he is a great asset to the sinic community and is always involved in online events, gets involved on social media in a positive way, attends conventions etc and is a really nuce and funny guy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I forgot I even posted in this topic. I also didnt realze Mike himself posted right after me 3 years ago. Not my fastest moment lol

Great to see him and other actors (past and present) more involved in the community, especially for some of the finer details regarding past castings and challenges that accompany it.

Same goes for the recent interviews I've seen for Ryan and Jason on YouTube. Good stuff. Helps shed some light for aspiring voice actors as well.

• Thumbs Up 1