Awoo.

Am I the only one who hates new Amy?

Misfit The Hedgehog

Amy was "cute and full of energy", as she would call herself in Adventure. But I don't know what she'd call herself nowadays, except "bland". I get trying to have her "mature"  (which she was never as bad as people made her out to be in the games imo) but couldn't you have done that without taking her whole personality?

She's so boring now. The last time she ever did anything was Unleashed. Nowadays she's just... there. 

Like I said, I feel like people really exaggerated her crush on Sonic. They saw Sonic X and used that interpretation on everything. Her crush was only emphasized for jokes like in Heroes.

People talk about her chasing Sonic but they never talk about her speech to Shadow about how not all humans are bad. Or turned Gamma against Eggman through kind words. Or had a robot chase her throughout the entire story just to protect this bird. And then put the hurt on him when he finally got to it.

Amy was a sweet character whose bad side you wouldn't want to get on. If Old Amy was "immature" and New Amy is mature, shoot, give me immaturity any day. 

Amy used to have been my only problem with the IDW comics. She felt like Sally 2.0 to me. Then someone told me it because she was overworked since she's the only Sonic character besides Knuckles that would be leader. That made alot of sense to me. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

Personally, I always found the earlier version of Amy kind of annoying, so I can't say I miss her very much. But with that said, I understand where you're coming from. The urge to make Amy less stereotypical has definitely made her more bland. That's the problem with taking away a character's problematic traits and replacing them with nothing.

I feel like there's not really anything about current Amy to hate...but she's definitely lacking a sort of spark. They sanded off the sharp edges, but a character needs at least a bit of texture to be interesting. I'm not really sure what the right direction to take her in would be, though.

7 minutes ago, Misfit The Hedgehog said:

People talk about her chasing Sonic but they never talk about her speech to Shadow about how not all humans are bad. Or turned Gamma against Eggman through kind words. 

I mean, I can't say I found those scenes to be particularly interesting either though.

• Thumbs Up 2

There's nothing to really get out of those scenes due to the simplistic writing.

She's just nice there.

14 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

There's nothing to really get out of those scenes due to the simplistic writing.

She's just nice there.

My point exactly. Her niceness was her best trait for me. You can't say she was just being nice those few instances when it happens on a regular.

21 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I feel like there's not really anything about current Amy to hate...but she's definitely lacking a sort of spark. They sanded off the sharp edges, but a character needs at least a bit of texture to be interesting. I'm not really sure what the right direction to take her in would be, though.

I mean, I can't say I found those scenes to be particularly interesting either though.

I can. They changed the course of the course of the story by making both change their ways.

• Thumbs Up 1

The emphasis is on nice...as in that's all it was.

They're fine character moments, but they're not...well written.

I suppose this topic was going to come sooner or later.

I'm pretty mixed on the whole thing tbh; she was pretty obnoxious before and her gag with chasing after Sonic got old really fast. But I can see where you're coming from as there's really nothing about her that stands out any more.

I feel like the 2nd issue of IDW struck a decent balance of making her capable, but still establishing her as a sweet girl that's head over heels for Sonic. Then that just gave away to the usual blandness of her current self, but I'm more forgiving there since the circumstances are different. 

Amy's kind of weird character because her...default trait isn't exactly popular with the series` primary demographic (young boys), so she's always kind of struggled to maintain popularity with the general public. 

10 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

The emphasis is on nice...as in that's all it was.

They're fine character moments, but they're not...well written.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. It's not just being nice if it happens on the regular.

Sa1 and Sa2 aren't well written. But I respect the moments for what they're meant to be

• Thumbs Up 1

I know what you mean Sonic X and Heroes really nail in what Amy was about she was cute, funny, strong and not ashamed about tell Sonic she loved him but then the Boom TV show came and killed Amy's personality for all time now she's the "strong woman"  doesn't like cute things like she use to and hates fun, oh and her crush on Sonic is practically gone now with hints every now and then to remind the player that she loved Sonic at one point.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Why are you saying it again? It makes it seem like you missed the point.

I didn't saying she's only ever nice in those moments.

3 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

I know what you mean Sonic X and Heroes really nail in what Amy was about she was cute, funny, strong and not ashamed about tell Sonic she loved him but then the Boom TV show came and killed Amy's personality for all time now she's the "strong woman"  doesn't like cute things like she use to and hates fun, oh and her crush on Sonic is practically gone now with hints every now and then to remind the player that she loved Sonic at one point.

And she rarely uses her hip attacks anymore, am I right? 🙃

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

Why are you saying it again? It makes it seem like you missed the point.

I didn't saying she's only ever nice in those moments.

Because you said, "That's all it was".

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, that's all those scenes were...her being nice to the bad guys.

She didn't say anything too meaningful to either of them, especially to Shadow, but her vague niceties did the job anyway.

• Absolutely 1

I'm not a fan any of the "new iterations" of characters. It seems like a lot of characters are made to serve one purpose only, such as a plot point for a game, and then once the game is finished the character has no need to remain in the main cast. The fan base grows attached to these one-time characters and I guess Sega caters to this and keeps them in the series. Knuckles' origin story is quite incompatible with him being in the main cast. Shadow's purpose really only shined in SA2 but was kept along due to fan interest in him. Silver is from a completely different timeline but is brought up in comics often (I don't keep up with the comics so I don't know the reasoning, but I think a time traveler should not be in the main cast). After a character fulfills their purpose Sega doesn't know how to develop that character further and just makes them bland.

Amy doesn't have an exact one-purpose role, but she is the remnant of the necessity of a female character in the Sonic continuity. As time went by though, when you compare what Amy is to the females that actually have purpose to their stories (Rouge, Blaze), she kinda falls flat.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Misfit The Hedgehog said:

I said it before, and I'll say it again. It's not just being nice if it happens on the regular.

Twice isn't that many times. And if it happened more often I'd probably like it less, because they haven't sold me on the idea that Amy's doing anything significant to change their minds; she's not being especially empathetic or anything, she largely just inadvertently triggers some old memories while being nice. It's less that she's causing the characters to change and more that she's the tool the writers used to trigger the change they already wanted, if that makes sense.

4 minutes ago, batson said:

And she rarely uses her hip attacks anymore, am I right? 🙃

You are right! But now thanks to fans she has a new mature attack call piko hammer her one and only attack!

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

Yes, that's all those scenes were...her being nice to the bad guys.

She didn't say anything too meaningful to either of them, especially to Shadow, but her vague niceties did the job anyway.

I don't see why those scenes had to be anything more than Amy being nice to the bad guys.

"Eggman forgot to put feelings in you"

Then she tells Shadow how everyone's not bad (can't remember quotes). I don't know, maybe I just don't know good writing. But I thought these were pretty good, and I'm someone who thinks the Adventure stories are overrated.

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Twice isn't that many times. And if it happened more often I'd probably like it less, because they haven't sold me on the idea that Amy's doing anything significant to change their minds; she's not being especially empathetic or anything, she largely just inadvertently triggers some old memories while being nice. It's less that she's causing the characters to change and more that she's the tool the writers used to trigger the change they already wanted, if that makes sense.

I mean, I get this; but the fact is that Amy is still the trigger to that change, so it's easy to subscribe it to her own personality and why people point out her niceness as a defining trait. It's certainly not going to win any awards in writing and is incredibly simplistic, but it's not really anything I wouldn't expect out what's still technically a series for children. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

It's more than twice. I elaborated more in my previous quotes.

And like I told StaticMania, Amy felt bad for Gamma because Eggman forgot to put feelings in him, and that's what makes him think. Gamma was just "born", so what memories are being triggered for him?

16 minutes ago, Victory Defender said:

Amy doesn't have an exact one-purpose role, but she is the remnant of the necessity of a female character in the Sonic continuity. As time went by though, when you compare what Amy is to the females that actually have purpose to their stories (Rouge, Blaze), she kinda falls flat.

You say that, and yet ST seems more willing to dump focus on Amy over any of the other girls. Enough that she gets to lead the Resistance over say, Blaze.

4 minutes ago, Misfit The Hedgehog said:

It's more than twice. I elaborated more in my previous quotes.

If you mean she's been nice more than twice, yeah, sure, but just being nice isn't that interesting.

4 minutes ago, Misfit The Hedgehog said:

And like I told StaticMania, Amy felt bad for Gamma because Eggman forgot to put feelings in him, and that's what makes him think. Gamma was just "born", so what memories are being triggered for him?

Those of the flicky inside him. At least that's how I read it, as it's "birdie" flying up to him that actually tips him over into letting them go.

4 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

If you mean she's been nice more than twice, yeah, sure, but just being nice isn't that interesting.

She also had a mad crush on Sonic and loves cute things that's interesting.

10 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Those of the flicky inside him. At least that's how I read it, as it's "birdie" flying up to him that actually tips him over into letting them go

Amy still triggers those memories.

She had more traits than just "being nice". Her temper was a nice contrast to it which is what makes it interesting

Being "nice" isn't what made those two scenes stand out; it's the fact that Amy is trying to get these machines created to fulfill another's purpose, to actually consider what is it that they want to do besides serve their creators. 

Its not particularly well written at all, but it's something.