Awoo.

Am I the only one who hates new Amy?

Misfit The Hedgehog

It may not be the most appropriate thread for talking about this, but I like some of your team ideas.

I'll focus on Team Rose... IMO Team Rose has always felt like random characters put together for lack of better ideas; even if Cream was specifically created to be the flight member of this specific team, she doesn't fit much IMO. In games, Cream had more meaningful interactions with characters such as Sonic (Advance 2), Emerl/Gemerl (Battle/Advance 3) and Blaze (Rush), the friendship between her and Amy has always been something vague and rarely shown.

I would like Team Rose to be Amy, Cream and Blaze too, but Blaze is usually associated with Silver more, so if teams were coming back for another game, she would likely still be with Silver. In the past I thought it would be better to have Silver, Blaze and Cream as a team (with Silver as the power type) because all those characters have connections in game stories, even though Cream and Silver never interacted before in a main game.

It can work, but that idea was from before Gemerl was revived by IDW. Now I totally think that Cream should be in a whole new team with Gemerl and someone else, Team Rose makes little sense for her. One option I considered is to remove Team Rose completely and put Amy in Team Sonic in place of Knuckles, then put Knuckles in this new team with Cream and Gemerl... Team Angel maybe (Angel is a word used a lot in the Advance trilogy, where Cream had her debut: Chaos Angel, Cosmic Angel... also it fits her personality, kind and innocent; Knuckles is from Angel Island; Gizoids are built from ancient echidnas too and chao come from Angel Island as well). I've always been against putting Amy in Team Sonic, mostly because of visual presentation (the blue-yellow-red colors are too much of a trademark, and it also represents the types, where red is the best color to represent power... they should change Amy's main color from pink to red), but if we ignore this for a while, it makes sense to have Amy with them (a bit weird to be the power type but what you can do) especially if Knuckles becomes the leader of his own separated group. Knuckles and Cream never really interacted together that much, but I can see them having a brother and sister type of interaction, including friendly mocking and quarreling each other at times (a lot of comedy, such as when in Sonic Battle, Emerl revealed that Knuckles got tricked again after being told to keep it a secret).

As for Big the Cat, he always felt as the most random addition in Team Rose to me. Considering what they have done in Team Sonic Racing, I probably understood why they placed him in Team Rose: probably Team Rose is more like Team Sonic Adventure (possible Totoro references aside). Though, probably your idea of a team made of Big, Mighty and Ray is a better idea... the only problem is that they have turned Mighty into a power type, and Big also is. It's more likely that Mighty and Ray would be teamed up with Classic Sonic in "Team Classic". Heck, Big does not even necessarily have to be playable/part of a team, he can be an NPC such as a shop keeper or something, as I suggested in the past too (keeping a shop is a lot like fishing, you have to wait and lure customers; also he's the one who does cameos in the most impossible places ever, so it would be nice to have him open a little shop, let's say, between act 1 and act 2 of an underground volcano, and Sonic be like "WTF how did you open a shop here").

So, TL;DR, I think that Team Rose is too much random, I'd rather have Amy as part of Team Sonic in place of Knuckles, and Cream (along with Gemerl and maybe Knuckles) and Big (with someone else, I'm not sure who) moved into two new separated teams; big could not be in a team at all and be an NPC/shop keeper like Omochao in Generations.

7 hours ago, Iko said:

In games, Cream had more meaningful interactions with characters such as Sonic (Advance 2), Emerl/Gemerl (Battle/Advance 3) and Blaze (Rush), the friendship between her and Amy has always been something vague and rarely shown.

That's only because Cream's most meaningful appearances were the handheld games, of which Amy was only significant in Advance 1 (which predated Cream's debut and had a non-existent plot) and Battle (which warped Amy into a character no one would want to interact with). Cream's only console appearances was Heroes (which deliberately had little story, and thus little time for meaningful interaction with anyone), Shadow the Hedgehog (wherein Cream was a mission objection, for a single level 😑), and Generations (Nuff said). So of course Amy and Cream's friendship is rarely shown: the writers don't allow them to appear together much at all. So, forgive me if I feel it a tad unfair to write off Amy and Cream's partnership because of the foolish decisions of the writers 

Honestly, it really astounds me that people have come to feel Amy and Cream don't make for good partners to each other when their respective characteristics makes for a great dynamic. One is an overwhelmingly excitable and optimistic girl who overcomes obstacles with physical force and has the "force of will" to take charge in any situation, and the other is a calm and more realist girl who prefers to overcome conflict peacefully (and should that fail, has her pet do the physical force on her behalf) and is inclined to be a follower due to her passiveness. This is a successful dynamic by description alone, and variations of this dynamic has been successfully used in other media (off the top of my head, there's Joy and Sadness of "Inside Out", Akko and Lotte of "Little Witch Academia", and to a lesser degree Helga and Phoebe of "Hey Arnold"). Amy and Cream really should be on the same level as Sonic and Tails in terms of bond and chemistry, and the fact that this is not the case is a massive failure on part of the writers rather than the characters 

So how about, instead of separating Amy and Cream from each other and overall exasperating this issue, we address the relative lack of interaction and overall fix and improve their relationship. Have those two appear together more frequently, don't have Amy be absolutely bratty/Sonic obsessed when tagging along with Cream (which by extension fuels the false perception that Cream makes Amy a worse character when, again, that's the fault of the writers rather than something inherent to Cream), maybe modify Cream's character so she doesn't overlap with Amy as much and play up her traits that do contrast with Amy, and showcase the two as an effective duo. In addition to the description of them I wrote above, Amy and Cream can benefit each other's respective characters; Cream gives Amy someone to interact with beyond just Sonic and his immediate friends (seeing how an apparently big criticism of Amy is how she's only shown with Sonic), motivates the hedgehog to work on her personality flaws so as to be a good role model to her younger and impressionable partner, and Amy can demonstrate her leadership capabilities far more often with a constant partner to, well, lead. And Amy gives Cream a reason to adventure beyond "I/my family got kidnapped", can give Cream some much needed character development by indirectly teaching the girl to be more assertive and adventurous, and also motivate the rabbit to be more physically capable in order to be a better help to her sisterly friend. It really isn't hard to salvage Amy and Cream's friendship...

• Thumbs Up 2

She (Cream) started out as the Girl Tails to Amy's Girl Sonic. Especially since one of Tails' canned designs was a bunny.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, while there are some nods and touches in smaller places plus Amy's story in Battle, they really couldn't get too much farther than Shadow's game because they either limited their ability to interact and/or ended up outdoing it with other characters. 

1 hour ago, Almar said:

Especially since one of Tails' canned designs was a bunny.

Oh really?

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

So, forgive me if I feel it a tad unfair to write off Amy and Cream's partnership because of the foolish decisions of the writers

and the fact that this is not the case is a massive failure on part of the writers rather than the characters

Is it a failure though? Cream may not have spent much time with Amy, but what they have done with her and Blaze is good too, so I don't think it's appropriate to call it a failure or foolish decision, they still wrote some good moments with the character, just not paired with Amy. The character was designed to be Amy's sidekick, but in fact, the writers found it more interesting to pair her with other characters, and it can be a matter of tastes but I like the decision.

Honestly, it really astounds me that people have come to feel Amy and Cream don't make for good partners to each other when their respective characteristics makes for a great dynamic. One is an overwhelmingly excitable and optimistic girl who overcomes obstacles with physical force and has the "force of will" to take charge in any situation, and the other is a calm and more realist girl who prefers to overcome conflict peacefully (and should that fail, has her pet do the physical force on her behalf) and is inclined to be a follower due to her passiveness. This is a successful dynamic by description alone, and variations of this dynamic has been successfully used in other media (off the top of my head, there's Joy and Sadness of "Inside Out", Akko and Lotte of "Little Witch Academia", and to a lesser degree Helga and Phoebe of "Hey Arnold"). Amy and Cream really should be on the same level as Sonic and Tails in terms of bond and chemistry, and the fact that this is not the case is a massive failure on part of the writers rather than the characters

It really depends on our personal vision of the characters, and apparently mine is different than yours...

They paired together can work, IMO they don't even overlap that much aside of being both kind-type. It's that I find it more interesting when Cream is put in contrast with stronger characters (Blaze who's almost female Shadow, and Gemerl that's a war machine), than when she's paired with a character who's as friendly as her but so energetic that she would struggles to keep her pace and as a side effect have less time to actually express her personality. Also why she should be a "female Tails" when she can be her own character?

I'm not much familiar with most of the characters you listed as example, but I watched Little Witch Academia, and while the parallel of Amy/Akko might work (at least with her old Adventure personality, not modern Amy), I don't think Cream is much like Lotte at all. Cream is calm but not shy and insecure as far as I know... maybe a bit shy at times (the beginning of Rush when she stalks Blaze from a bush), but not insecure and not even that much passive IMO. I've called her passive too in the past, but thinking about it, she's not really... she's more reserved and calm, but not passive... when things are getting wrong, she gets into action even if people tell her to stay back, she's even quite impulsive if we take IDW into account. (it seems that while she's that type of character who likes to make new friends, she prefers to have a smaller circle of friends but a closer relationship with them, unlike Amy's everyone is a friend by default; though this doesn't make her shy).

I think it's ok that Amy and Cream should be friends, but not sidekicks. I think that Cream works better if put into her own little side adventures, and maybe focus more on the chao raising aspect if anything... or if she has to be a sidekick, I'd rather have her as Blaze's sidekick and continue from where Rush has left.

maybe modify Cream's character so she doesn't overlap with Amy as much and play up her traits that do contrast with Amy,

I think that her original personality (Advance 2 and most of IDW) was already different enough, but offcourse they should avoid to put Amy traits into her like in that tea scene from IDW I was talking earlier. She would never say "everything is going to be OK because you're a hero", as you said, she's a realist, she would be concerned about the situation and do her best to help instead... optimism is not really her thing, It's more likely that when there's apparently no more hope, she would get depressed and cry, and another character would have to cheer her up.

13 hours ago, Almar said:

She (Cream) started out as the Girl Tails to Amy's Girl Sonic. Especially since one of Tails' canned designs was a bunny.

Also one of Sonic's scrapped designs was a bunny, and one of Cream's scrapped designs was a raccoon similar to Marine. Anyway, I don't think Cream started out as a female Tails, maybe she was initially intended to be, but she developed quite differently (already since those small dialogues in Advance 2), with Heroes probably being the only exception due to the teams mechanics.

9 hours ago, Iko said:

Is it a failure though? Cream may not have spent much time with Amy, but what they have done with her and Blaze is good too, so I don't think it's appropriate to call it a failure or foolish decision, they still wrote some good moments with the character, just not paired with Amy. The character was designed to be Amy's sidekick, but in fact, the writers found it more interesting to pair her with other characters, and it can be a matter of tastes but I like the decision.

Yes, I'd call it a failure. If you created a character mostly specifically to be the partner to an already established character but then fail to show them as an effective and compelling duo, that's "epic fail" levels of writing 

And honestly speaking? Only reason why Cream seemingly works better with Blaze is because it was the first game with an actual narrative she got to have a major role in. Advance 2, Advance 3, and Heroes were very light on plot, and Battle's story was focused almost entirely on Emerl, so Cream couldn't get to really display her character much, let alone get some decent moments with other characters. Rush was the first and so far only time wherein Cream had a major part in it, and it just so happened that role was to be the first ever friend to "loner from another dimension" Blaze. Had we gotten a game that paired Amy and Cream for the entirety, with their bond being the focus of the narrative, I'm sure many would be singing a different tune. And it could've been, say, Charmy as Blaze's guide/first friend in Rush's story and very little would've changed in that respect. I'm just saying, I don't think it's so much that the writers found it more interesting to pair Cream with Blaze so much as Blaze's story called for a character to bond with to "defrost" her icy personality and they settled on Cream, and Blaze/Cream isn't inherently more interesting than Amy/Cream; the former only had the fortune of having its relationship actually shown and the bond being plot significant... 

9 hours ago, Iko said:

It really depends on our personal vision of the characters, and apparently mine is different than yours...

They paired together can work, IMO they don't even overlap that much aside of being both kind-type. It's that I find it more interesting when Cream is put in contrast with stronger characters (Blaze who's almost female Shadow, and Gemerl that's a war machine), than when she's paired with a character who's as friendly as her but so energetic that she would struggles to keep her pace and as a side effect have less time to actually express her personality.

I admittedly do seem to view Amy and Cream's respective characters far differently from how others view them. Like, I'm actually baffled that a lot of people here have claimed Amy to not be an Action Girl even though, starting with Heroes (or even Adventure 1, arguably), Amy became one of the more combat capable characters. Not nearly as active as Sonic, Shadow, and Knuckles, sure, but that's because they're given far more attention than Amy...

I mean, the same could be said with most other characters. For instance, Tails contrasts far more with Shadow than Sonic, and Tails also doesn't really get to display his personality with "impulsive and always on the move" Sonic. Doesn't mean we should make Tails into Shadow's partner, nevermind that he was designed from the get-go to be Sonic's sidekick.

But even putting that aside, I still feel Amy is the better character for Cream to be paired with since the two mutually benefit each other; as I mentioned in my previous post, Amy gets Cream to adventure more (due to her outgoing nature and own desire for a life of adventure, and she could influence Cream to be more outspoken and assertive. Meanwhile Cream allows Amy to, ironically, be more independent (in the sense that Amy would be doing more of her own things with Cream by her side rather than constantly following after Sonic, and the rabbit influences her to be more of her own hero rather than relying on Sonic for the most part) and Cream could motivate Amy to calm down a little and listen more, so as to not cause much trouble for the both of them. With Blaze and Gemerl, though, Cream only has things to give them. Blaze needed Cream to become more open to making friends and learn to accept help from others, and any potential "growth" Cream could provide Gemerl is teaching him to be less of a war machine. But what do they provide to Cream in return aside from another friend and a new family member respectively? Blaze isn't an active adventurer like Amy (only taking action when the Sol Emeralds or her own dimension is involved), so she doesn't make Cream more active, and she sure as heck can't help Cream work on her own personality flaws since Blaze's character doesn't really challenge them, or at least not as much as Amy can. And Gemerl... The very nature of his character means he can only learn from other characters and not so much provide anything to them. Not even a lesson on how sometimes violence is a necessary solution, since Cream already learned that from Emerl 

9 hours ago, Iko said:

I'm not much familiar with most of the characters you listed as example, but I watched Little Witch Academia, and while the parallel of Amy/Akko might work (at least with her old Adventure personality, not modern Amy), I don't think Cream is much like Lotte at all. Cream is calm but not shy and insecure as far as I know... maybe a bit shy at times (the beginning of Rush when she stalks Blaze from a bush), but not insecure and not even that much passive IMO. I've called her passive too in the past, but thinking about it, she's not really... she's more reserved and calm, but not passive... when things are getting wrong, she gets into action even if people tell her to stay back, she's even quite impulsive if we take IDW into account. (it seems that while she's that type of character who likes to make new friends, she prefers to have a smaller circle of friends but a closer relationship with them, unlike Amy's everyone is a friend by default; though this doesn't make her shy).

Hence why I said the characters I mentioned are variations of the dynamic between Amy and Cream. They don't share the exact same personalities or even archetypes, but their respective dynamics are comparable. In the case of Lotte, while Cream isn't insecure and as passive as her, they're both the calm, rational counterparts to the excitable and trouble-making Amy/Akko; they both share the purpose of keeping their "head in the cloud" friend grounded and get them to actually think things through rather than tackle all situations with reckless abandon, while that excitable friend helps their more reserved friend become more outspoken and listen to their heart more (haven't watched much of LWA to know if this is accurate, but that's the gist I get from those two) 

9 hours ago, Iko said:

I think it's ok that Amy and Cream should be friends, but not sidekicks. I think that Cream works better if put into her own little side adventures, and maybe focus more on the chao raising aspect if anything... or if she has to be a sidekick, I'd rather have her as Blaze's sidekick and continue from where Rush has left.

And I think Cream works better if she's Amy's sidekick, going on adventures alongside her. Especially right now since Amy, for all my complaining about how she is as of now, is becoming more and more of a main character, or at least getting promoted alongside the Classic Trio. Meanwhile Cream's presence has only been reduced further and further, to the point that Omochao and a trio of normal Chao were chosen over her for a mainstream racing title, for the very team she established alongside Amy and Big. Because the unfortunate truth is that this franchise has little to no use for "little side adventures", at least for the time being. Being paired with Amy again is the best way to save Cream from increasing obscurity and possibly phased out of the cast entirely. And, getting this thread back on topic, Cream's presence could allow for Amy to have an actual personality again, since she would have a character to consistently interact with and bounce off of

With Blaze, again, that cat doesn't really provide much to Cream, and Cream sure as heck won't have more much needed presence if she's to firmly be Blaze's sidekick since, again, Blaze herself has a fairly minimal presence given her established background and motivation. Besides, I'd rather Marine be returned from "retirement" to serve as Blaze's sidekick, especially since she is also an inhabitant of Blaze's dimension and contrasts from Blaze just as much if not more than Cream 

I heavily apologize if I'm coming off heated. I understand your points and I think we should jut agree to disagree. I just care a lot about Amy and Cream's relationship and am beyond tired of people (not specifically you but plenty of others) saying things would be better if they weren't partners. Especially if Blaze is the suggested alternative for Cream, solely because of Rush. But I'll admit, I've garnered a heavy bias against Blaze because plenty fans use Blaze to denounce Amy, such as the case with this spoilered image... So having Blaze take Amy's intended sidekick is like the ultimate spit in the face

Spoiler

Why I Dislike Blaze.PNG

Edited by Kaotic Kanine
To spoiler attached image
  • Thumbs Up 1

I like Amy's character but I suppose my opinion of her is a little too middling for me to be up in arms about whether the old portrayal or the new one is better. I was never annoyed by how she was in the old days but I'm also not bothered by how she is now.

I think the absolute best portrayal of her was in the second issue of the IDW comics, where they combined old and new Amy and created this perfect version of her that's kind of been a little subdued now due to the heavy focus on trying to work through the stress of the situations she's in, which is understandable. Still, that issue's portrayal of her was so well done it single handedly improved my opinion of the character in general. 

I think there's merit to combining both of what these portrayals have to offer. It does seem as though SEGA/Sonic Team kind of worked to mature her a bit for the sake of people who found the older version too annoying. It hasn't worked. Every playthrough I've seen of Sonic Forces still saw the people who didn't like her, telling her to shut up whenever she spoke. It's one of those things where I get it into my head that you might as well keep things the same if people who aren't normal fans aren't going to acknowledge the changes but I don't feel too strongly about it one way or the other.

Plus, at the moment, how her character acts doesn't mean too much when it comes to the games since no one does much of anything right now. 

Side-Topic: I don't know why we're listing teams but should the next game to come out offer to do another thing where we can play as three characters in four stories, I'd probably do it like this:

Team Sonic - Sonic, Tails, Knuckles

Team Dark - Shadow, Rouge, Omega

Team Rose - Amy, Silver, Blaze

Team Chaotix - Vector, Charmy, Espio

3 out of 4 teams from Sonic Heroes and one taken from Sonic 06. Maybe Cream, Big, and Metal Sonic can be unlockables or something. But that's enough high fantasy for one day.

The people who hated Amy before likely still hate her now, so changing her character didn't really serve a purpose 

Re-reading some (Flynn-era) Archie Sonic and I think that's maybe the best version of the character, or my favorite, anyway.

I love the arcs where she's with Blaze and Cream, like in the Treasure Team Tango arc from Sonic Universe, as "Team Rose" 

She also works well with Sonic & Tails too, as "Team Fighters", especially when she got to interact with Honey the Cat in the Sonic Fighters arc. She arguably makes more sense than Knuckles in that third spot on Sonic's team; definitely in Archie-verse, but also in general.

So, another way to go with the team organization...

Team Fighters

Sonic, Tails, Amy

Team Chaotix

Knuckles, Espio, Vector

Team Future

Silver, Blaze, Marine 

Team Dark

Shadow, Rouge, Omega

Team Hooligan

Fang, Bean, Bark

Team Metal

Metal Sonic, Egg Robo, Metal Knuckles

Team Sweet

Big, Cream, Cream

Team Backup

Mighty, Ray, Charmy  

Team Spirit

Tikal, Chip, three Chao babies in a trench-coat 

Team Apocalypse

Infinite, Mephiles, Chaos

Team Eggman

Eggman, Orbot, Cubot

My main qualms with Archie Amy was pre-reboot when Ian kept up the 'scary mode Amy' gags from X, I didn't think they really meshed as well with Archie,  essentially having the other more serious Freedom Fighters equip her as the 'team psycho', while even X tended to keep this solely for gag situations. Thankfully this died down by the post-reboot.

2 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

My main qualms with Archie Amy was pre-reboot when Ian kept up the 'scary mode Amy' gags from X, I didn't think they really meshed as well with Archie,  essentially having the other more serious Freedom Fighters equip her as the 'team psycho', while even X tended to keep this solely for gag situations. Thankfully this died down by the post-reboot.

Eh, it's basically his way of using some of the very things characters are disliked for to positive effect.

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Eh, it's basically his way of using some of the very things characters are disliked for to positive effect.

I dunno, I guess I wasn't big on Amy's temper being like this 'dark superpower' everyone was cowed by, even her own friends and some of the most unrepentant villains. I mean Sonic and Knuckles are also guys you DON'T want to make angry, but their temper moments are as often played against them or undermined. It's fallible so to speak. With Amy it's nearly always ball busting humour, and like X, Archie made that her dominant characterisation for a while, sweet outer layer, demonic inner layer. I don't think it was until the closing points of the pre-reboot they started to click a more humanised Amy that was still kinda hot headed and quirky.

Maybe it didn't help that the Freedom Fighters had more down to earth characterisations than the SEGA cast, so that plus the resistance premise meant Amy's role of being the everygirl to keep one foot of her's grounded wasn't seen as often. This is maybe why Amy's X interpretation also took a quick downward spiral in the Meterax saga.

2 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

I dunno, I guess I wasn't big on Amy's temper being like this 'dark superpower' everyone was cowed by, even her own friends and some of the most unrepentant villains. I mean Sonic and Knuckles are also guys you DON'T want to make angry, but their temper moments are as often played against them or undermined. It's fallible so to speak. With Amy it's nearly always ball busting humour, and like X, Archie made that her dominant characterisation for a while, sweet outer layer, demonic inner layer. I don't think it was until the closing points of the pre-reboot they started to click a more humanised Amy that was still kinda hot headed and quirky.

Maybe it didn't help that the Freedom Fighters had more down to earth characterisations than the SEGA cast, so that plus the resistance premise meant Amy's role of being the everygirl to keep one foot of her's grounded wasn't seen as often. This is maybe why Amy's X interpretation also took a quick downward spiral in the Meterax saga.

See, this makes no sense to me; because both Sonic & Knuckles have plenty of moments of anger that have scared their enemies. But when Amy does the same, it's....a bad thing?

4 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

See, this makes no sense to me; because both Sonic & Knuckles have plenty of moments of anger that have scared their enemies. But when Amy does the same, it's....a bad thing?

Are you missing the point on purpose?

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

Are you missing the point on purpose?

Please explain the point then.

Her comical anime trait of *violent girls are scary when mad* is used even when inappropriate and it doesn't really fit with everything else...

11 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Her comical anime trait of *violent girls are scary when mad* is used even when inappropriate and it doesn't really fit with everything else...

I feel like this is playing into the inherent idea that Amy being mad isn't taken seriously or its' "out of place"  regardless of the context. She's no more of a hot-headed brawler than say, Knuckles. But the latter's violent outbursts are acceptable because....?

Are those just as comical? Knuckles became a violent hot head around Sonic X too...but again, it's never really serious.

3 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I think he's just saying that Amy being angry was generally used to the same basic effect everytime.

5 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Are those just as comical? Knuckles became a violent hot head around Sonic X too...but again, it's never really serious.

It's never really serious with Amy either.

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I think he's just saying that Amy being angry was generally used to the same basic effect everytime.

I don't feel it happened as often as people think it did; she tried it on Shadow in Treasure Team Tango, and she got smacked by her own hammer for her trouble by him. 

37 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I don't feel it happened as often as people think it did; she tried it on Shadow in Treasure Team Tango, and she got smacked by her own hammer for her trouble by him. 

That is a memorable exception.

That's why I say the last points of pre-reboot, I think it was when Cream came along they were starting to try to 'click' Amy.

And also because you know, Shadow was the super popular brooding humourless anti hero. He was the one guy assured to have ZERO chance of playing along with a 'scary Amy' gag. :P

Again, the thing about Knuckles is that his temper recurrently makes him the butt monkey, as cartoony as it is, it's a human flaw and it keeps coming back to bite him. You know when he loses it there's a 50% chance he'll walk into a beating or he'll deliver one, while it's about 95% the latter for Amy. Amy's temper far more empowers than hinders her and often in a way that is depicted to make her comically unstable or 'creepy'.

Also there's generally more of a personality respect for Knuckles since he has been an obnoxious hot head since the beginning and generally only cowards simper before him anyway (if anything they're more liable to exaggerate his butt monkey relationships first), while 'scary unstable Amy' was not really something that came with her short fuse initially and sometimes they overdone which characters were cowed before her (compare to say Vector, Rouge and Eggman just dismissing her as a 'little brat' when she gets kinda antsy in earlier games to having sinister mood swings around a terrified Monkey Khan, who had an even worse temper). Basically Amy was breaking both her character and others for the comedic sociopathy and sometimes in ill fitting times, especially in Archie that often wanted to be taken more seriously.

I get that 'it's just a damn joke!' but I do feel that plays into Amy being so obnoxious and one note to some during the Sonic X era, being a formulaic 'scary girl' who seldom got her then most defining flaw humanised or reigned in like the others did.

I think that something that gets easily forgotten is that the assertive "temper tantrum"-Amy of the Adventure era is not the characters original personality. As far as we could tell about classic era Amy, she was perfectly nice and innocent. Nothing in-game and no official artwork from that era indicates assertiveness or a hot temperament.

My point is that it could be argued that Adventure-era Amy isn't necassarely something that we automatically must accept as how the character "should" be. The current, mature and level-headed version of the character might depart from Adventure Amy, but Adventure Amy herself departed from classic Amy. With this in mind, one could argue that the current Amy is no less valid an interpretation of the character than Adventure Amy.