Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Bad?????

Wraith

Power wise I'm somewhere in the middle. I agree that the figure 8 and dust cloud work well. I also liked the blue aura from the Adventure games. Now with the movie we have the glowing eyes and lighting effects as an option too. I wonder if there's some way they could combine these traits that would work? The reason why I liked the auras is it gave each character a color too. Amy having pink, Shadow having this light orange color, etc. But there are other ways to make the characters feel different through animation too like Shadow's skating animations compared to Sonic's running.

I think Sonic Lost World handled badniks perfectly and did so better than any game in the entire series. Yes, I think it did so better than even Mania.

You had classics returning who we had not seen in a long time, such as 

Madmole | Sonic News Network | Fandomimage.jpeg.ce9e731b46440f5aeffe695feb53961e.jpeg

But also new ones, who totally fit into the established aesthetic

image.jpeg.894e8b9e417abbf97941eabf63fe081b.jpegimage.jpeg.0afbe47a445769ba6a17828fd96a8d96.jpeg

If anything, this is where I want to see Sonic badniks go in future games. It felt less like nostalgia-baiting and more like going back to the pre-established tropes of Sonic and building upon them. It was better than Sonic Heroes even, because when you fought the tarantula, it felt like it could belong in an environment such as Mushroom Hill. It wasn't just an 'enemy' like Egg Pawns.

It was a real take on going back to Sonic's roots.

• Thumbs Up 2

Lost World is indeed art. It's just a bit of a shame people were more concerned with the nostalgic level aesthetics, the imbalanced story, and the trial and error gameplay to acknowledge what it did do that was neat.

6 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I think Sonic Lost World handled badniks perfectly and did so better than any game in the entire series. Yes, I think it did so better than even Mania.

You had classics returning who we had not seen in a long time, such as 

Madmole | Sonic News Network | Fandomimage.jpeg.ce9e731b46440f5aeffe695feb53961e.jpeg

But also new ones, who totally fit into the established aesthetic

image.jpeg.894e8b9e417abbf97941eabf63fe081b.jpegimage.jpeg.0afbe47a445769ba6a17828fd96a8d96.jpeg

If anything, this is where I want to see Sonic badniks go in future games. It felt less like nostalgia-baiting and more like going back to the pre-established tropes of Sonic and building upon them. It was better than Sonic Heroes even, because when you fought the tarantula, it felt like it could belong in an environment such as Mushroom Hill. It wasn't just an 'enemy' like Egg Pawns.

It was a real take on going back to Sonic's roots.

The ants are from CD or Chaotix, if I remember right

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Lost World is indeed art. It's just a bit of a shame people were more concerned with the nostalgic level aesthetics, the imbalanced story, and the trial and error gameplay to acknowledge what it did do that was neat.

The ants are from CD or Chaotix, if I remember right

Fair enough, but you get what I mean!

The badniks in SLW were most welcome after all we've been getting for the past dozen or so games, not counting Sonic 4, has been nothing but Eggpawns of varying designs. Then Forces introduces the absolutely worst Eggman robot design in the games ever, dissapointing.

I really like how SLW handled the diversity of the badnik's resistance to attacks. Some are alot easier to damage than others, instead of it just being a single homing attack needed to kill it. Some needed the kick, some needed multiple attacks, some needed to be hit in certain directions. We haven't had that in a while. Really nice. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Indeed, Lost World went through a new direction compared to the other Modern games, and this new direction has its strong points and weak points.

I always thought that Lost World has a lot of potential, but I didn't like the actual game that much for how little it uses that potential. Levels (when not 2D) are all built on spheres and tubes, the game rarely tries to do more with the formula... it's a nice concept, but I would have liked it to be expanded more.

Simplicistic visuals are cool, and as also a Kirby fan, I'm totally ok with games that look that way... but fo some reason, probably the void you talk about, the visuals in this game still feel a bit too bland to be enjoyable.

It's the usual "unused potential" every Sonic game has, the difference is that after all, Lost World is also a solid game, while most of the other 3D sonics usually aren't.

Aside of that, it's ok to lower the frustration for casual players and all, but I didn't like how "rigid" the gameplay of this game was... Sonic is usually about messing with physics, while in this game everything was so fixed that you can't mess much outside of what the developers intended. This is why, despite the inferiority in basically everything and all the glitches and level design issues that adds compared to the HD version, I prefered the 3DS version, because it controls way more naturally and closer to a regular Sonic game, and in some levels it even gives the player more freedom to explore with Parkour. The 3DS version is still a flawed game though, I'm just very tolerant to technical and design issues when even just one aspect of a game is fun to mess around with.

I'm much more interested in seeing an evolution of the Lost World game design formula than another evolution of Boost gameplay, Parkour especially has a lot of potential IMO.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, McGroose said:

...not counting Sonic 4...

Egg Pawns were only in...Colours and Generations.

I honestly, when it comes to Badnik designs, Lost Worlds isn’t exactly my taste.

I was more a fan of Generations and even Sonic 4’s more mechanized designs for badniks that looked like they pieced together and looked like they were both toys and lethal weapons at the same time.

That, and I just love detail when it comes to machines and robots. The more sophisticated a Motobug or Crabmeat looks, the more I see the juxtaposition with Eggman’s silliness for design and danger with ordinance combined.

Not that the aesthetics in Lost World is a betrayal of that, just that I like to see machines with a more mechanized edge to them.

As far as the other aesthetics go, honestly not my cup of tea but not enough for me to complain about. It’s so-so to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lost World had a lot going for it, but I wish they'd stuck with it to refine it a bit more into something truly remarkable.

6 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Egg Pawns were only in...Colours and Generations.

"Past dozen games or so", not counting obvious spinoff titles like racing and sports.

Meaning Heroes, Shadow, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rivals 1 & 2, & Unleashed (just a black reskin of an egg pawn). Oh ya and they were also in... Colors and Generations.

Also IDK why you quoted me saying Only Sonic 4 to say that when I mentioned that cause Sonic 4 was the only real time for a while ever since Heroes  where we actually started getting the unique badnik designs until Colors came a little later and made it more common.

2 minutes ago, McGroose said:

Unleashed

Egg Fighters & Egg Pawns look nothing alike...

But other than that, thanks for the clarification.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

Egg Fighters & Egg Pawns look nothing alike...

But other than that, thanks for the clarification.

Ehhh idk they look pretty alike to me. Same body shape, long arms, meant to resemble Eggman, etc.

I guess they're kinda different in design besides the obvious coloration difference but they really are just a variation of Eggpawn tbh. Even the Egg pawn things in Forces look similar to those two in body shape.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Lost World had a lot going for it, but I wish they'd stuck with it to refine it a bit more into something truly remarkable.

Really makes one wonder what Sonic Team had slated for their next game had that went over better, especially if that rumor about Forces is true.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Really makes one wonder what Sonic Team had slated for their next game had that went over better, especially if that rumor about Forces is true.

Which rumor? I seem to recall there were a few.

6 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Which rumor? I seem to recall there were a few.

That the game started as a spin-off around the Avatar system before having the Boost and Classic shoehorned in to make it the anniversary game.

• Nice Smile 1

Ah, I hadn't heard that one! The way I heard it, third character was supposed to be Boom Sonic (hence the wrist grappler), and the bad reception to the Boom games made them rethink that.

4 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Ah, I hadn't heard that one! The way I heard it, third character was supposed to be Boom Sonic (hence the wrist grappler), and the bad reception to the Boom games made them rethink that.

I remember that as well. That the Mega Death Egg resembles Lyric and you unlock Boom Sonic clothing by beating him adds to that.

So about the art design, I do like how Lost World has more bouncy animations for sonic. The bounce emphasises well how, while heroic, energetic he is. However, the badnik design feels a bit too simplified and... friendly? In the original games, the presence of badniks felt slightly intimidating. Take Sonic CD for an example, as clownish as Eggman was, there was a chance of him taking over Little Planet, turning the utopias into placing where these robots took over any living thing in the zone. While this theme was pulled back in the Adventure games, more in SA2 than SA1, it still remained and saw a mini-renaissance in Colours. However in Lost World, it just feels like the badniks are there to be enemies with no meaning. My big criticism is with the aesthetic. Everything looks over-saturated and just feels like video game levels. In the genesis games, all 4 of them established their lands and made you care about them, you care seeing South Island, progressively getting more mechanical, you care trying to make a good future in CD, you care about Angel Island being set on fire and the ruins of Marble Garden crumble in 3&K. This trope continued throughout the 3D games, for example, ridding the world of Dark Gaia monsters and getting the world back to its former glory, stopping the eclipse cannon from destroying the world, even if it meant a sacrifice and unchaining the planets and setting the wisps free from Eggman’s amusement park. However in Lost World, you don’t care about any of the levels because either way, they’ll just be cylinders and spheres in the sky. It doesn’t really help that the story cares less about the lost hex than the player does either.

Lost World didn't have much going for it, but it had, IMHO, the best aesthetics of a 3D Sonic game to date. The classic badniks and sound effects were great. The best aspect, though, was the look of the levels. They were fun, vibrant, cartoony, and bouncy, the best representation of "classic" Sonic levels in 3D, I think.

While I like this artstyle in a vacuum for it's expressiveness and easy to follow visuals as you said, I think the biggest sticking points is Sonic himself.

10270.png4052.png

The top is the Lost World model, and the bottom is the Generations model; so they did slightly alter Sonic's design, likely to fit into the aesthetic. The problem is that he's still pretty recognizably Modern Sonic, and that style simply clashes with Lost World's Aesthetic. 

16193.png

The Motobug here does not look like it belongs to the same series. IF they were committed to this artstyle, then they needed to change Sonic's design as well to fit in. Ironically, this where Classic Sonic's chubbier and cuter proportions would have blended wonderfully. 

2756.png

This looks actually looks like it fits with that motobug above. 

• Thumbs Up 1