Awoo.

Sega Heroes Shutting Down (May 2020)

Badnik Mechanic

Not exclusively a Sonic title. 

But a lot of people here play it and are in the Sonic Stadium guild.

Sega have just announced that they're going to shut down Sega Heroes at the end of next month.

https://www.sega.com/segaheroes

Happy 60th SEGA anniversary, we're shutting down our only SEGA Crossover left!

Real talk though, I'm very mixed about this. I was never fond of the artstyle, and in the sea of puzzle mobile games, I thought the gameplay wasn't anything remarkable, but I thought it was still a pretty ok time waster and just combining the Sega IPs, even ones that never made it into console crossovers, was nice to see (even though I wish they wouldn't have stuck to the four character sets so we could have more IPs represented).

But I also thought the game fell into the trap of other mobile games and felt way too grindy way too fast, which made me lose interest very quickly. Now that everyone gets that premium pass, the game might get more enjoyable.

But yeah, neat idea with eh execution. Let's hope the next crossover game and/or mobile game (if we get any) fares better.

I absolutely loved the game, lost interest a couple of months ago so I deleted it, but was it fun... no joke, it was actually very good as a time waster. I'm sad to see it go, I'm not sure who's to blame for this though, SEGA? Why would they do that? Did they cut their deal with Demiurge or something? Or did they go full private?

Haha! The Reddit group for this game was calling it a while ago; the game stopped getting new events (but new characters were being added), recent events were uncharacteristically generous in their payouts and all of microtransaction special offers became less and less lucrative. I don't know how many of those actually were indicative, but the conclusion was right in the end. And let's not forgot that SEGA actually sold Demiurge Studios back to its original owner just a weeks ago. This really did seem inevitable.

Glad I maintain a stance against microtransactions and refused to spent a penny on it. There's nothing wrong with a simple match three game. Add in RPG like battle elements send you've got a recipe for something pretty fun. And this game is, at its core, simple fun. But add to that an aggressive push for in-app purchases and garbage odds on loot boxes and you have a have a recipe for failure. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The devs added a good number of events to let players have as much fun with the game until it's gone, and let them finish everything off. 

• Every player was gifted 150 shards for Taiga Saejima - the new legendary
  • Every player was granted all three passes for free - which gives you around 300 gems, 3500 coins, and 700 XP per day, as well as boosting rate you regain stamina at.
  • All legendary events have been opened
  • The big one - a new event called Dimensional Desire
  • The event not only has massive gem rewards for milestones, but it's easy, and each stage has 10 shards for every character in a particular set as a confirmed drop, You can farm these as much as you want to get as many character shards as you want.
  • There's a stage at the start of the event which give 20,000 Spirit Stones, and 25k coins per run, letting you upgrade and enhance characters quickly.
  • A later stage gives 1000xp per run, letting you max your player rank
  • Daily Quests now give 1000 gems per day
  • You can farm materials to upgrade abilities in this event too, easily

The only thing I wish they'd added was a chest that was cheap and had really good rates.

Ow! I was very hyped when the game was first rumored as SEGA Blast Heroes.

SEGA-Blast-Heroes-Screenshot-2.jpg&key=d

I loved to see JSR's Beat in kawaii (I think) style. Though when the game was later unveiled as simply "SEGA Heroes" and used Candy Crush mechanics, my hype fall way down to Lava Reef (Trying to make a pun with the series). Still, I've heard lots of people who actually enjoyed the game and its mechanics.

I personally don't know what to say mainly for don't having many experiences with the game. Maybe it could work if it was something like a cross-over beat'n'up like Streets of Rage? Idk, but I was expecting that and really would love to see something in its style.

Well, as noted by @Thigolf, this was the only SEGA's cross-over game left, and so it's pretty sad to see it going. Fortunately we still have some solid cross-over games like SASRT.

Don't know much about this game but as far as mobile puzzle games go I suppose its closure just makes it less likely that Puyo Quest will get a localization :(

What saddens me is some of the more obvious sets we never got to see. No Persona 5, no Nights, no Billy Hatcher, no Alex Kidd, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

So, it suffered the fate of most mobile games. Pity that.

Aw, they didn’t even add in Puyo Puyo characters before the closure. :(

Oh, well. I can’t really say I’m sadden by the sudden closure. For what it was, it was an alright little puzzler, but wasn’t really remarkable otherwise. Probably the thing most salvageable from it is some of the cutscene dialogue. The Cream/Death Adder conversation still gets me, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never understood what people saw in that game to begin with. Seemed like the typical shovelware mobile puzzle game you could probably find dozens if not hundreds of.

26 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

I never understood what people saw in that game to begin with. Seemed like the typical shovelware mobile puzzle game you could probably find dozens if not hundreds of.

All of these games are pretty simple fun at their core and they're addictive. Nothing special, but they are enjoyable. There's a reason that there's dozens of these games out there. Throw in fan service and you can see why people might enjoy it. 

26 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

All of these games are pretty simple fun at their core and they're addictive. Nothing special, but they are enjoyable. There's a reason that there's dozens of these games out there. Throw in fan service and you can see why people might enjoy it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Throw in fan service and you can see why people might enjoy it.

To me that just makes it worse. "Oh, you're gonna remember these old characters in your low budget shovelware type game, but will never do anything with their actual franchise? Cool."

1 hour ago, Tarnish said:

To me that just makes it worse. "Oh, you're gonna remember these old characters in your low budget shovelware type game, but will never do anything with their actual franchise? Cool."

It's something. All of the characters in the game at least behave like themselves, either in their brief story appearances or in the fleshed out movesets. And still man, whether it's typical shovelware or not, it's still a clone of Bejeweled or Shariki. Those games have been popular for decades because they're fun little time killers. Not any sort of substitute for "full" or "real" games, but they're not supposed to be. They're puzzler minigames.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Tarnish said:

Even 1 is still a bigger number than 0 in my math books, i really don't see how preferring a franchise to be dead rather than allowed to partecipate in company-themed crossovers helps. By that logic, 90% of them should not exist.
Also, these types of games are exactly what companies do occasionally to test the water and see if dormant/unlocalized franchises deserves a second chance or not. Fire Emblem would have probably died on the GBA and just in Japan if it wasn't for Marth and Roy in Smash Bros. Melee, Strider Hiryu sticked to his now iconic manga design and got a sequel game on the PlayStation thanks to his inclusion in Marvel vs. Capcom, and more recently, the new Sakura Wars was allowed a western release because of the popularity boost that the franchise got thanks to its inclusion in the Project X Zone duology (and on the same note, it's the same thought process that convinced Bamco and Cyberconnect2 in remastering the .hack//G.U. titles).

• Thumbs Up 2