Awoo.

Random Level Generator (Sonic 1+2+CD (2013) & Mania)

ZXT-92

I'd LOVE a random level generator for Sonic games! I'll gladly play those gems over and over and over again the way they are, but random levels would infinitely increase the replay value (for me at least)!

I am aware of a ROM hack of Sonic 1 that generated random levels, but it sounded very hard to accomplish that way and the creator gave up on it really quickly, so if a RLG ended up being made, it'd have to be for a modern version of the games, like the Christian Whitehead engine.

Is it possible?

I mean, for Sonic 1 and 2 at least it's possible. They use chunk-based level building (the other two may as well but I don't have experience with that), so you'd just have to make an algorithm that makes sure to align collision with any adjacent tiles that it makes. But that's a pretty big "you'd just," so I can't see anyone in the community doing it beyond for the challenge aspect of it; and RNG level design can have pretty dramatically mixed results even in the best cases so I'm not sure how much fun such a thing would be.

• Thumbs Up 1

Are you already familiar with this one?? :) :) It is not randomized, but, patiently reconstructed zone maps for Sonic 3 & Knuckles!

http://mrjester.hapisan.com/07_DAGarden/S3DAGE_102.bin

It is like a parallel universe's version of the game! It is really special, i am still amazed that it was possible to create!  D.A. Garden has described trying to add a bit more platforming and puzzle influence from Sonic 1 than existed in the original, but there are also basically countless new fast sections that were carefully made from scratch! 

3 hours ago, Tornado said:

I mean, for Sonic 1 and 2 at least it's possible. They use chunk-based level building (the other two may as well but I don't have experience with that), so you'd just have to make an algorithm that makes sure to align collision with any adjacent tiles that it makes. But that's a pretty big "you'd just," so I can't see anyone in the community doing it beyond for the challenge aspect of it; and RNG level design can have pretty dramatically mixed results even in the best cases so I'm not sure how much fun such a thing would be.

Ouch. Didn't think it was that hard.

I'd love this. 

And the ability to make & share campaign playlists from mixing the act/level order in whatever order to allow you to experience acts in a different way. All Boss Run, for an example as default, but you can make any crazy order you want.

Basically a music player, but for Sonic levels -- randomize, make playlists, or play the full album/games as intended.

• Thumbs Up 1