Awoo.

Sonic movie game/other tie-in media

Mobius_Historian

Hey, I really didn't see this posted up anywhere, but... does anyone know why we didn't get a sonic movie game? It seems like such  an obvious thing, and a good way of making money/striking while the iron is hot. Yes, I know about the movie content that has appeared in the mobile games, but we got games set in the Boom Spin-off universe, why not the movieverse?

Also, I don't understand why we don't have a movie-inspired animated series (not actual movieverse, so you don't step on paramount's toes). It just seems odd not to have content ready, when your audience is hungry for content. They knew the movie was coming out, and it seems strange noting was ready to go to cash in. Anyone else think this was wierd?

The movie was a gamble, with a pretty long and rocky history, even up until near release with the whole horrible gremlin design issue. If the movie ended up being a failure it would've likely hurt any other tie-in media as well. Plus they had recently enough tried introducing a whole separate spinoff sub-franchise with Boom, which wasn't exactly successful.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

Mobile games took the place of tie-in games. They may cost less and take less time to make too. Plus having the game on a phone makes it available to a larger audience compared to consoles.

While it seems obvious in some respects, really it makes more sense not to. The entire point of the movie is to tell a story that takes advantage of the medium, a story that wouldn't really work in a video game.  That's exactly what they did, and part of the reason it was so well-recieved. I wouldn't really want to play a watered down version of that story, padded out with a bunch of extra locales and boss fights because the five or so settings and two fight scenes in the movie wouldn't really cut it for a video game.  All set in fairly drab, realistic environments even when compared to 2006, which still at least covered most of the classic platformer settings like your snow and lava levels etc.

Aside form Street Fighter, most video game movies don't get tie-in games. Movies in general do, but they're like licensed games.  Sonic wouldn't get one because Sega would have to make it, and they're not really involved with the movie.

The vast mass of tie-in movie games of anything are mocked as trash & hardly anybody really likes them. SEGA did the right choice by not even trying to do it in this case. There is no point in it, If people wanna play more Sonic games... then more "normal" Sonic games should get made instead... not shovelware nonsense. Sonic games are already in a rough area right now overall, wouldn't be a great move to vomit out tons of more risky titles that might flop hard.

Just something I was wondering about, it makes sense they wouldn't do a tie in game. Thanks for the replies. 🙂