Awoo.

Pitch your Sonic fanfic

Moose the Cat

Sometimes you have an idea for a fanfic that you don't necessarily want to write in full, or requires abilities you don't have, like illustrating or programming. Or maybe you have fanfic you've already written and want to pitch it here, too, and link to the full story -- that's cool too.

Thread is for bite-sized ideas of Sonic fanfics that you think would be fun. (Obviously post your own work or make it clear/link to original if not)

FORMAT

Title (name of story)

Media (game/comic/anime/etc)

Outline (short description / story beats)

Does it exist? (link to full story if you have it / want to)

Tl;dr (one sentence summary)

---

EXAMPLES

Title -- Big’s Big Crush

Media -- Comics/Animation

Outline--Shopping in Station Square with Amy Rose, Big the Cat mistakes his reflection in shop windows for a female admirer who he thinks is following him.
After finally gathering the courage to approach this (equally shy seeming) Miss Big character, Big is surprised and then saddened to realize it was only his reflection and the confusing layout of mirrors in shops. Amy thinks Big is admiring the big-brimmed hat in the window, and she agrees (with her assumption) that Big would look great in it!

Big is very happy with how he looks in the hat, indeed, and Amy is surprised by how jealous she is by the hat, almost wanting to get it for herself, but then finally saying “no no no, the hat is your thing.” Big looks at her, wearing this gigantic hat, with his big dumb face. 
Next panel, Amy is also wearing the gigantic hat. Next panel, Amy and Big are both sitting on a park bench eating ice cream. Next panel, Sonic zips into frame: “Oh it’s you guys, from further away I thought it was the shape of one of Eggman’s bots. (beat) You guys are weird.” Sonic zips away. 

Tl;dr -- Classically comedic short comic about Big being dumb and cute and gives Amy some fun character beats as a friend and with her idiosyncrasies.

---

Title -- Knuckles the Echidna

Media -- Video Game

Outline -- It's a game in which the only playable character is Knuckles. The levels can play both like 2D Mania/3K/Knux in Sonic 2, and/or the emerald hunting stages from Adventure (with the radar from the first). It can literally be simply all of those levels, in order of when they were designed, from 2 -3 - K - Chaotix - SA1 - SA2 - Mania -- I'd take it even as that.

Ideally it would be original, though I do quite like the idea of combining both 2D Mania-like levels and 3D Adventure-style, just executed better. Christian Whitehead's team could do a killer job on it, I'm certain. But even Sonic Team could potentially do it, a refined version of the "Sonic God of War" from Unleashed, with a story about Knuckles hunting treasure, and maybe there's some very light Action RPG elements, with Master Emerald powers. 

Story allows an opportunity to define Knuckles' villains and backstory in a brand new way, since his story's been ignored / considered over since Adventure 1, really, outside of Bioware game and the Archie and Fleetway books, which Archie especially had a lot of fun characters who could be adapted well, if Sega were feeling collaborative and/or simply took possession of characters that rightfully belong to the Sonic-verse, anyway. Even in this fantasy, we won't assume generosity and instead assume it would be something different. 

Nack "Fang" the Weasel / Bean the Duck / Bark the Polar Bear -- they need to come back both in games and in the IDW comics. They are so much more fun as goofy henchmen than the Deadly Six. So this fantasy will go as far as saying these 3 will be repeat villains and mini-bosses throughout the campaign; each separately, and then combined three separate times for a total of 6 total Hooligan confrontations. We're establishing these villains as part of Knuckles' Rogue Gallery, rival treasure hunters. Rouge the Bat is redesigned with 5x bigger bat wings. She's in a role similar to Knuckles in Sonic 3, where she's messing with you at level segues throughout the campaign. She's also searching for the XYZ gem that the Hooligans are out for, too. Eventually Rouge is an act 1 boss fight, and then a second act team-up where CPU Rouge assists taking down a horde of badniks. As it turns out, the sudden influx of badniks on Angel Island is because Eggman's been here the whole time. The gem hunt turns out to be a wild goose chase. The XYZ gem is a ruse, a phony, a prank by Eggman to buy himself time for his final ultimate plan, finally final edition v2 final.

3 big bad bosses -- Metal Sonic, Dr. Eggman, and then finally Eggman's Monster, a new unnatural creation powered by the Master Emerald that looks like an ugly amalgamation of Chaos and Shadow combined in a dark misty form -- it's impossible to punch! The final boss will test the player in a way no challenge or boss has up until this point. Each boss battle will be more typical Sonic-style boss fights, but Eggman's Monster is a left hook to the player by being much more puzzle-like, requiring memory and logical deduction and basic math and spatial reasoning, etc, on a timer. It's Knuckles singularly biggest weakness - his intelligence! Can the player help save the day? I don't know! That's why I'm asking.

Tl;dr -- Finding gems by climbing, gliding, punching, digging, and breaking walls: the long national nightmare is over, we finally have a solo Knuckles game.

Maybe this should go in showcase? I like the idea of atopic for drabbles/not quite fanfics.

I kind of spawned this idea in the Infinite topic, and it really made me wish I had the capacity to write this.

But the reason Infinite is terrified of being weak should be a lot more believable, and that reason is most likely the toxic gang/mercinary culture he's gotten into.

Title- Sonic...Forces?

Media: I unno man, fanfic?

Outline: More of a premise?

Infinite is under constant attack from rivals, vigilantes, and law enforcement, but who needs enemies when you have freinds?

Infinite's pack culture is nothing but theivery, violence and about being the most dominant and agressive. If you're a liability you get abandoned, if someone wants what you have they'll take it by force, if you show vulnerabilty they laugh and take advantage. They're bad people. Not that he isn't, but they are.

Infinite is never safe, and he thinks doesn't effect him but it does.

Infinite is the biggest, baddest son of a shit there is and he will turn that down for nothing.

When Shadow beats him up it is, absolutely, the last straw. Infinite vows to become invincible no matter what and gets his sense of confidence from terrorising everyone. Who's afraid, now?

Tl;dr -- Infinite is a bitter,lonely individual driven to be as scary as possible to compensate for that fact.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fun idea! No need for the question marks, you nailed it. 

Thread might be better in Showcase, you're right... I put it here because I thought maybe that was right for the "dabblers" as you put it. Cool idea tho, I like the idea of Infinite in a Sonic-verse magical version of the Punisher origin, but more dialed toward villain. And it makes him an interesting contrast to Shadow, who's more like Batman, where he's dark but has a good moral code. 

Expanding on an idea started in Sonic Headcanons thread by @Sonario

Title EggTV Presents!

Media Comic/fanfic

Outline 

EggTV

The official state network of the Eggman Empire and subsidiary of the Eggmanland Entertainment Empire (E3) 

-Commercial for Gallup Lottery, the chance to win dozens of magic power rings!

-Commercial for Club Spin, the nightclub that does exactly what it's name promises! 

-Commercial for Eggmanland, the roboticization park where your amusement will never end!

EGG News

News anchors -- Coconuts and Grounder (from AoSTH). They give a very pro-Eggman slant on the events of Mania/Forces/Unleashed/Colors/Team Racing. 

Cluck does the weather, like the Mania bossfight. Scratch (AoSTH) is cameraman -- he can't believe that guy got on the air over him. Unbelievable!

Bocoe gives the sports update - Egg Robos won in eggbasket over the Egg Pawns, 112-80. Though the game was never in question, there were a lot of casualties/escaped animals. Decoe is the cameraman  -- he can't believe that guy got on the air over him. Unbelievable!

Heavy Gunner gives a silent traffic/crime report from the city skies, narrated by Coconuts/Grounder like a police chase. But its the Gunner just hunting down animals for capture to put them in robot capsules, or keeping existing robot badniks in line.

The No-Spin Zone -- it's Dr. Snivley's soapbox, an opinion "rant" about everything would be better without Eggman actually in charge because he's a buffoon; Snivley thinks it's obvious how to kill Sonic, why does Eggman not do it? That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Reveal that Orbot & Cubot are watching the broadcast at homebase with Eggman. They wonder if anything else is on. Eggman is asleep. Orbot & Cubot turn it off to play video games instead. The end.

Does it exist? no, not yet

Tl;dr  Eggman's TV network - what would it be like to watch?

• Thumbs Up 1

May as well share this one I’ve had for a number of years now.

Title: A Distant Memory (possible title idea)

Media: comic/short story

Outline: set in the post-SGW Archie continuity, Sonic accidentally goes through a Genesis Portal while chasing Metal Sonic, and finds himself in a pocket dimension that he finds weirdly familiar. He meets an alternate, seemingly younger version of himself and his respective gang of Freedom Fighters who are fighting against Dr. Robotnik while hiding out in the hidden underground village of Knothole. Sonic is pulled into helping these alternate versions of himself and his friends, and they need it now more than ever, as Knothole is currently in danger of being flooded out by a leak, and Metal Sonic being lost in the zone somewhere doesn’t help matters either.

As events progress, Sonic’s sense of deja vu increases, with things finally coming to a head when he’s spontaneously able to remember that a power ring was hiding in a nearby well. With the help of his own Tails (who he’d been keeping in contact with until heading through the portal, and was able to regain contact with again with alternate Rotor’s help), the duo manage to figure out that this pocket dimension is an “echo” of the original Prime Zone, from before the Super Genesis Wave, which is permanently stuck in the time period of the Freedom Fighters earliest exploits.

This revelation gets Sonic to mull over the “old memories” he had after the Wave again, which he admits he had completely forgotten about until now, and that he could barely remember any of, which he now looks back on like a lucid dream, or as memories that were completely detached from himself.

Soon enough, the two Sonic’s and the Freedom Fighters manage to defend Knothole’s secret location from Robotnik, and dispatch Metal Sonic in the process (during which Robotnik briefly sees Metal and becomes inspired to start making his own robot Sonic duplicate. “Such a deceptive creation needs an appropriate name. Pseudo Sonic, perhaps? Yes, I like that”).

By the end of it all “classic” Sonic has basically sussed that his new counterpart is some sort of future version of himself, and naturally begins to quiz him on the future. Main Sonic hesitates. He can’t remember the majority of what the “future” has in store for his younger self, apart from brief flashes, with the majority of recollections being from near the end of his old life (Antoine in a coma, Bunnie MIA, Sally as a robot, and plenty more pain and suffering on top). Sonic is only able to reassure his younger self that “everything will turn out alright in the end”.

Back home, Sonic and Tails mull over what they’d just experienced. He tells Tails what he told younger Sonic, with Tails in turn reassuring him that he’ll probably never get to experience those hardships anyway, since time seemed to be stuck in a permanent loop there. The story ends with the two of them grateful that they will still remember the hardship their past selves went through. “We may not remember the details, but none of us would be here right now if they hadn’t gotten us through it all”.

tl;dr: Archie Sonic from the post-SGW continuity, winds up in a pocket dimension where everything resembles the earliest Archie Sonic issues (the in-universe rationale being that it’s an “echo” of the old timeline, created from the SGW). There are references to those early, more lighthearted issues throughout, and it gets Sonic and Tails to start thinking about the old world again, during which readers get a glimpse into how they much still remember.

It’s set out as if it it were an officially-published Archie Sonic anniversary story, where the references to the bulk of the old continuity are largely subdued due to the theoretical restrictions, with the fact the majority of Sonic’s memories are faded being a way to explain it in-narrative.

Does it exist: no. I have considered taking a crack at it for years, but my writing skills are not exactly the best.

• Thumbs Up 2

I quite like that one, Big Panda, nice. I could definitely see that being published had Archie continued or done more with Sonic Generations like they did with Unleashed in Shattered World.  I certainly like how the timelines "echo" too! (See my one canon thread for expanded thoughts on that). I think it's cool to think of the Sonic universe as being moebius shaped, figure 8, with a lot of holes/rings within that. I like the idea that Sonic can "loop" around in time, and does so even more frequently than he could ever comprehend.

I very much like the idea of Warp Rings as shown in Archie especially the Flynn run. I never really liked, as a kid, how Gallagher/Penders justified "zones" as pocket dimensions when the games just seemed like Sonic's natural habitat. And by the end, with Mega Drive and Genesis of a Hero, Flynn/Archie successfully rewrote their incorporation. 

Though I miss the Archie characters (the Archie Sonic Online issue with Antoine is heartbreaking because it's his single best story ever, and it was just a bit too late for proper publication), the need for a harder reboot was obviously necessary.  And though the ending of Archie was abrupt and less than ideal,  it actually quite suiting that it left off where it did -- with the Sonic CD adaptation being the one focused on rewriting time, after multiple events back-to-back (including Generations) that were breaking it into pieces.

Rebooting with fresh slate / games-only + new OCs but the same creative team as Archie was the right move. But now, or soon, ideally, Sega will change their view on the character/comic licensing and maybe allow IDW to eventually incorporate all Sonic characters from everything, because that was what was most exciting about Post-SGW Archie... it was Honey the Cat, and Breezie the Hedgehog and Scratch/Grounder/Coconuts and Bean/Bark/Nack (ok really the Champions / STF arc is maybe my #1 peak Archie arc), mixing in with the game + comic/SatAM characters.

Maybe some of them have licensing fees; they don't need to appear all the time. I'm no expert in copyright IP law, but on some level, all of these Sonic characters belong to SEGA and Sonic.  This doesn't seem like it needs to be as difficult as Sony Spidey in the Disney MCU... and anyway even that's been possible. 

Eh, since a status reminded me of it and I'm not gonna do anything with it, I might as well.

Title: "Sonic Made A Worse Future In Zone 2". Or something like that. Riffing on CD's level clear message.

Media: Comic, probably. Something visual at least as the character designs would be part of the appeal.

Outline: Eggman's got some new super-powerful reality-warping gem/monster/machine/whatever and in trying to stop him and shut it down Sonic causes it to go out of control. He and Eggman are seemingly wiped from existence and the rest of the characters are left to pick up the pieces. Jump ahead a couple of years and Sonic pops out of a wormhole into a world he doesn't recognize: everything is shit and everyone's an asshole.

More specifically, all his friends have given in to anger, fear, depression, etc, and in one way or another have ended up mirroring the villain most closely related to them. Tails mirrors Eggman, isolating himself with his machines and growing into an increasingly controlling and unethical mad scientist. Amy mirrors Metal Sonic; with Sonic gone her obsession pivots to Metal, and she convinces Tails to turn her into a cyborg in an attempt to get closer to him. Knuckles mirrors, or rather fuses with, Chaos, after being mortally wounded; he's become even more protective and isolationist regarding the Master Emerald and his island, vowing to kill anyone who sets foot on it. Silver and Blaze mirror Mephiles and Iblis, essentially Dr Manhattaning into demigods (the Silver Moon and the Blazing Sun) who have distanced themselves from mortal affairs. Shadow would mirror the Biolizard or Black Doom I guess but I don't have anything specific about him in mind...maybe his artificially manipulated biology and inherent chaos powers end up turning him into a giant mutated monster...that eats Chaos Emeralds, and he's the one who almost killed Knuckles trying to get the ME, I dunno. Other characters would probably show up in some form but I think I've just about used up the worthwhile villains and that was the impetus of the whole idea so I again don't have specific ideas.

Anyway Sonic's gotta run around convincing everyone that he's the real him and trying to drag everyone out of their various issues long enough to put their heads together and work on fixing this. Probably make it so the magic whatever from the start actually altered the universe to result in all this rather than it just being Sonic and Eggman going missing, because "this one character's presence is actually the linchpin of every aspect of every other character's life" is kind of lame. Maybe Eggman fused with it and has been lurking around in the background and he shows up again to be the "final boss".

Does it Exist?: No and that's probably for the best.

TLDR: Sonic ends up in an indulgently grimdark future where all his friends have come to mirror his villains and has to bring them to their senses to fix things.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

Nice, @Diogenes. Sounds like your story is (structurally) a bit similar to It's A Wonderful Life -- not holiday themed, obviously, and the basic idea has been done in other forms of course, but main character glimpsing a world in which they didn't exist and finding it's much worse. 

The idea of a dystopian future reminded me of this half-idea...

FORMAT

Title  Old Man Tails

Media Comic or fanfic maybe

Outline  Mostly just an alternate view on the major Sonic story plot points, if Tails were an old man instead of a young boy, with all else being the same. Sonic is the student instead of the mentor. 

In terms of the plot, virtually nothing changes about their adventures. Tails does all of the things he does in the games/comics. But as we get a different look at those events in this version, where Tails is more like Obi-Wan to Sonic's Luke, and see that though the plot doesn't change, the characters can be very different with a fresh new dynamic that makes the characters "equals" again in a different way. It just flips who is big/little brother in a way I think would be interesting.

Does it exist? Not as far as I know.

Tl;dr  Tails is old, grizzled, pretty tired of Sonic's immature shenanigans not taking this seriously, but he's even more tired of the Eggman Empire, so he's gotta work with the best available tools he has.

Well here's mine for what it's worth

FORMAT

Title: Sonic: Scourge of Mobius

Media written narrative

Outline  When another Sonic arrives from another dimension, it seems like the usual mundane insanity of Sonic's World in effect. But as The Real Sonic realizes this discovery, the bizarre chain of events could have disastrous consequences not only for Sonic and his friends but also the worlds they protect.

Basically an alternate Sonic comes, thw twist being that when main Sonic and alt-sonic come into contact, theres a violent metaphysical reaction that makes one weak, both physically and mentally, and the other one having all the power but becoming a total jerkwad who goes back to his own universe to defeat his own Eggman and take over his world. The clue is in the name after all. (Scourge. Eh? Eh?)

Sonic's friends go off to stop him while Sonic, crippled with the emotional baggage of his counterpart, stays behind. The ending would have involved weak Sonic getting off his butt and making it to the final showdown as both sides have worn each other out. Sonic reaches out to Scourge, understand what he's been through, says "I forgive you", before hugging him, causing another metaphysical reaction that returns Prime Sonic to his normal self and Scourge... is Scourge. He sends the people off, saying that he'll become his own person, even dying himself a different colour, as the gang go back to their own world... but oh no, Eggman has taken over in their absence, and the adventure continues.

Does it exist? Yes because I wrote it. https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12763214/1/Sonic-Scourge-of-Mobius.

Yeah it's been dead for a while and thats why I feel comfortable spoiling the whole thing here. It's not a 1 to 1 copypaste from my design document cos it was lost in a computer transfer and I just typed it here from memory.

Tl;dr  A JoJo referance masquerading as a story. (Steel Ball Run and D4C is where I got the sort of idea from.) Sonic defeats his evil double with the power of empathy.

And what the hell, how about another one?

FORMAT

Title  Sonic: Into the Sonicverse

Media Maybe a Game

Outline

Shenanigens happen, and now there are 3 Sonics: Game/IDW, Archie and Fleetway.

Each would have 2 partner characters: Game would have Tails & Knuckles, Archie would have Sally and Antoine and Fleetway would have Amy and Shortfuse the Cybernik. The former characters (Tails, Sally, Amy) would be more technical to play while the latter (Knuckles, Antoine, Shortfuse) would be brawler types.

Each would have a character who communicated with them over a comm. Rouge, Nicole and Tekno respectively.

Each would even have a set of villains. Game: Eggman, Black Doom, Team Hooligan and Infinite.
Comic: Eggman + Snively, Ixis Naugus, The Destructix, and Enerjak.
Fleetway: Robotnik + Grimer, Super Sonic, The Metallix Brotherhood and the Drakon Empire.

Then it would turn out the REAL villains were a triumvirate of Dr. Zachary, Dr. Finetivus and Dr. Starline (I was gonna have Imperator Ix but who remembers Sonic Chronicles?)

Due to Dimensional crossover, duplicates of the same person have a risk of self destructing when interacting with each other. (I seem oddly fascinated with this concept.) Hence different versions of Tails, Knuckles etc can't interact with each other. Not even Sonic, who can't touch his other selves. This makes battling Super Sonic extremely difficult.

It is this effect that makes Enerjak return, when the three versions of Knuckles touch each other, and the infusion of chaos energy and memories of each overwhelm him.

And smaller character appearances, mostly for gags:

Scratch & Grounder (AoStH)

Sonia and Manic (Underground)

Chris Thorndyke (X)

Sticks the Badger (Boom)

Tom Wachowski (Movie)

Elise (06)

Shade (just to throw Sonic Chronicles a bone)

Does it exist? Kinda? https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13515359/1/Sonic-The-Hedgehog-The-Fleetarch-Conundrum

I came up with it before finding this story, to be fair.

Tl;dr  It's in the title. Can't get a better TL;DR than that.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Title : Sonic Adventures

Media : Game

Plot: After Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic and his friend Tails decided to revisit South Island for old times sake, however something is different. Everything is bigger and more mountainous. And then the Motobug MK.II fired a laser at Sonic. He knew that the Death Egg was being rebuilt. So Sonic and his buddy goes over to Robotnik in this high-speed action packed game.

TLDR : Sonic and Tails (looking like their AOSTH styles) do Sonic 1 & 2 in a 3D game

• Thumbs Up 1

Title The Evolution of Eggman

Media Comic / animation 

Outline A new version of Robotnik's origin. Begins with Jim Carrey's Robotnik alone on the mushroom world at the end of Sonic Movie. We flashback to his Earth origin and weave the games/comic lore in there — how he admired his grandfather Gerald but despised his family, except his nephew Julian Snivley who admired Ivo Robotnik as much as Ivo admired Gerald. We see a quick timeline of Robotnik as a lonely inventor, graduating early, developing tons of new patents and an electronics empire until he's become the leading international expert on robotics. He's in the early stages of his planned coup of the US Government when he's set on the case of Sonic the Hedgehog, an alien creature full of more power than he's ever seen, yet seems oddly familiar. 

In the present, Robotnik has shaved his head on the mushroom world and is losing his sanity and babbling to the rock he's calling Agent Stone... then after repeatedly tossing the stone, discovers a Chaos Emerald. Using its power, he's able to jury-rig a device to transport himself back to Earth — except he finds himself in Sonic's World/Mobius, not realizing he's in the past, 5 years before Sonic will be born. Traveling through time with only the one Emerald, Eggman is able to build self-replicating robot factories, overthrow the Kingdom of Acorn and upset global stability, return to Earth to recruit Snivley as his assistant, and sets in motion his plan to conquer not just any one planet, but every world he can find, an empire of all space and time. Now in present day Mobius with his factories and workforce firmly established, we can see that all of the time/space machinations have warped Robotnik's sanity & appearance into the familiar Eggman figure. And that's when Eggman learns from Snivley that there are, in fact, 6 more of these Chaos Emeralds on South Island. The End.

Does it exist? No

Tl;dr How did Jim Carrey Eggman turn into the Eggman we know?

Title Movie Night

Media Animation

Outline Amy gets HBO Max and invites Sally and Mina over to her house to watch a bunch of Warner Bros. movies and they try to find the most obscure superhero movies. Oh, and a lot of episodes of Friends and Everybody Loves Raymond in between.

Tl;dr Amy, Sally, and Mina watch HBO Max.

• 10 months later...

Been a while and thought: Why not?

Title: Chaos Degradation.

Medium: Animated (ideal) Written (if I did it)

Outline: Following a fatal accident, Sonic and friends find their mourning interrupted when they're swept up into the Digital World. Assigned partner Digimon by Homeostasis, they must quell the rage and destruction of a large organization of irate Digimon.

As everyone tries to find their footing in this world of powerful monsters. Sonic has held a firm position: he won't let Tailmon fight. Everyone knows why, but no one is sure how to tackle the problem, not when they're all missing the same friend. But each battle puts the confrontation to the side.

Little do they know, there's more to this war than meets the eye.

Does it exist? Nope.

Tl;dr Sonic needs therapy.