Awoo.

The TakeOver (Snazzy Streets of Rage inspired beat em up)

KHCast

The%20Takeover.jpg

I figured with all the SoR4 talk, this would be a good time to also bring this into light. 

So, as you might assume, The Takeover is a classic inspired modern beat em up, in the same style as Streets of Rage, with a few of its own unique things to set it apart from its  inspiration. It released on PC back in November last year, and is planned to release on Switch and PS4. 
572752-thebaztakeover.jpg

ss_61cbe50f465e9fc1f62c7ccda75c9f8a5.jpgz8QXtnWWvgYDcRRaoYijaM.jpgSomecallmejohnny did a review of it awhile back, and seems to have really taken a liking to it, and that’s what actually initially got me interested in wanting to check it out, here’s that if you’re interested:

I really dig the visual style and character designs, it really nails that retro aesthetic, while modernizing where it needs to.

The-TakeOver.gif

May not mechanically be as robust as SoR4, and it sounds pretty short, but I do hope this gets people’s attention when it drops on console. It looks super fun regardless, especially if you’re playing this with a friend locally or online, and I don’t even play many retro styled beat em ups. (Last one I played I believe was that shitty 2.5D TMNT title that was on the 360 arcade) this and SoR4 have me really interested in giving that genre a look, for the aesthetics and over the top nature of these two alone.

EKjuAbeXYAALQ07.png

Interesting, might check it out for Switch. 

I'd also like to reccomend Fight n Rage, another Steam beat em up that came to Switch and PS4 in October. The chibi art style might not be for you, but the gameplay is very tight and refined, with a parry system similar to one of the Street Fighter titles (press forward as soon as attack lands).

• 4 weeks later...

The games releasing on Switch June 4th, it’s up for pre-purchase right now and is on sale for 17.99. Since I got Streets of Rage 4 on PS4 I think I’ll get this on Switch for sure, especially since the PS4 release date is not determined yet 

The game is out now for anyone interested. Metacritic currently has only two critic reviews out, one positive, and one mixed.