Awoo.

I think the profile contact fields could stand to be updated.

Dr. Mechano

I just noticed, forum profiles still have a place for AIM screen names. AIM has been defunct for years, so none of those contacts will work anymore.

On the other hand, a lot of people are using Discord, so maybe adding a new field for Discord usernames could be a good idea?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

That wouldn't be a bad idea. I second the Discord server bit as well. 

• Thumbs Up 2

There could also be a new section made for Nintendo Switch Friend Codes as well!

• Thumbs Up 3

I requested Switch a year back to @Kiah when she was still active (I really miss her), and Discord would definitely also be great.  Not a fan of either of these, but if Epic and/or Stadia have something that could be good for those interested 

I was thinking about this today... Discord in particular is very interesting. I'm aiming to set up a Discord server for SSMB/TSS users here so we all have an official place to hang out beyond the forums, so it'd be good for people here who use Discord a lot to share usernames with each other on that basis. :) 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

Can we keep the aim?

It might come back.

It's gonna be big!

5 hours ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

Can we keep the aim?

It might come back.

It's gonna be big!

wish.

I seriously always liked how AIM let people use their own fonts/colors. I feel like it gave each user their own unique style in a way.

What the heck is AIM????

43 minutes ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

What the heck is AIM????

Advanced Idea Mechanics, a villain organisation in Marvel Comics run by the one and only MODOK and of course - Baron Strucker.

or it could be AOL Instant Messenger, but that’s a lot less cool

People who don't know what AIM was are too young to be on this message board. -shakes cane-

• Thumbs Up 7

Actually let's keep AIM to separate the youngin's from the fossils

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait...AIM is still a thing?

23 hours ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

What the heck is AIM????

Please don't do this to me

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Way Past Cool 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

On 5/7/2020 at 5:30 PM, Zaysho said:

People who don't know what AIM was are too young to be on this message board. -shakes cane-

There are people on this board who were not even born when this board was created but are old enough to legally make an account to reply to this thread.

I hate everything about this revelation.

• Promotion 2
  • Chuckle 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

I never used AIM even when it was still around. Too much for the hardware I had at the time to handle. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/6/2020 at 7:47 PM, Dreadknux said:

I was thinking about this today... Discord in particular is very interesting. I'm aiming to set up a Discord server for SSMB/TSS users here so we all have an official place to hang out beyond the forums, so it'd be good for people here who use Discord a lot to share usernames with each other on that basis. :) 

The SSMB already has a Discord server, we had it for quite some time actually.
It's not used that much though, i tend to post there when the board is down to check if it's just me or not.

The existing SSMB Discord server isn't official, though. I think an official Discord would be very nice, and perhaps being official would help it be more active. I left the SSMB Discord server because it wasn't very active.

If there would be some way to make the existing server official, that would be fine too.

The primary issue with shifting control of a Discord server is that the backend is still technically open for the creator. It would harbour unnecessary security risks for any official server of the site and we would be better suited with a fresh start.

In addition, it would also create the same issues that we had had previously with the IRC chat: it would be primarily run by a third party who may or may not see eye to eye with the direction of the website. This individual could fall out of love with the series and then depart, leaving us with yet another defunct 'official' chat.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 5/11/2020 at 1:31 AM, Chris said:

The primary issue with shifting control of a Discord server is that the backend is still technically open for the creator. It would harbour unnecessary security risks for any official server of the site and we would be better suited with a fresh start.

In addition, it would also create the same issues that we had had previously with the IRC chat: it would be primarily run by a third party who may or may not see eye to eye with the direction of the website. This individual could fall out of love with the series and then depart, leaving us with yet another defunct 'official' chat.

I’ll just throw this up as the creator of the current SSMB Discord server - if an official server is made, I’ll likely direct everyone on the current Discord server to migrate over to the new official server, and shut it down fairly soon afterwards. 

The server was only primarily created as a updated server to an even older unofficial server that was on the board, and since there was no word on an official server incoming. If Dread and/or the staff here intend to make an official SSMB server, the current one will have served its purpose.

Plus, as @Monkey Destruction Switch said above - having an "official" server would possibly make the server more active anyways. I'm fully in support of making a new official server.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

I like the idea. If you guys make an official server, I'd definitely join and talk there!

• Thumbs Up 1