Awoo.

Headhunter (The 2003 Movie)

Roareye Black

Hey guys,

Thought I'd share a piece of SEGA news that I managed to grab the exclusive on. In 2003, there was an official push to create a movie based on the Dreamcast game Headhunter. The Dreamcast title had been released in Europe in 2001, with a 2002 re-release on the PS2. Headhunter: Redemption would follow up in 2004, and it's likely that there was an attempt to capitalise on the upcoming title by creating a movie based on the first title.

The film was sent to a British screenwriter (based in Los Angeles at the time) called Ben Trebilcook and he was hired to write a Treatment (outline of the story) and the screenplay. He completed the task and sadly the project was canned within the next year.

I scored an interview with him in January for my radio show, and I had been primed with the cyberpunk work he had been involved in (and when I saw the name Headhunter for SEGA, I was obviously shocked and ecstatic!) as my show is primarily about cyberpunk as a genre. I raised it during the interview and he gave a little coverage and agreed to send me a copy of the treatment and screenplay. Sadly, he couldn't find the screenplay but he did find the Treatment.

I've hosted the screenplay on my website, as well as the video and what little information we have on the film otherwise.
www.cyberpunkstudios.co.uk/headhunter

I hope you guys enjoy this slice of SEGA history that never came to be. I know there are Dreamcast and general SEGA fans here too, and thought this might be of interest :D

Roareye Black.

Headhunter Banner.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1