Awoo.

How has your musical taste evolved trough the years?

Solister

Here I go trying to rewrite this topic for the 100th time... Hope it's also the correct sub. I'd always post in Personal Discussion, but now I believe it fits better here.

original.gif

I guess it's a self-explanatory title. How music have developed into you and which are some of your biggest influences?

I don't know, but I think I can say I was born in a very "musical" family. While there're no artists yet, both of my parents but specifically from my dad side are very music lovers. It's cute to imagine my grandpa was probably one of the first buyers of MP3 Players when they got popular, and he was already like, 70 years old by the time. Still, here's a brief history and personal experiences of how Music have influenced and evolved with time for me:

• The Early Years (2003-2011)

I was born in 2003, which I also believe I can use as the start point for this topic. I don't have many memories the same way I believe anyone here can't name which was the first song they heard in their life. Still, aside from childish music, I have some vague memories that specially on family meets on my home, my dad used to (and sorta still) put some music to play in the ambient. I guess this was probably the first contact I had with the "real" musical industry. Of course, it's pretty hard to name a few, but one or another got to be more memorable, and from these renowned artists I think I can name Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley and The Beatles. It's interesting that Yellow Submarine (above) is probably the most memorable song from my childhood, and still it's the only (I believe) Beatles song to be classified as Childish, which kinda proof how well works to make a song when you have a public in mind.

• Techno & Chiptune (2012-2013)

Ah the memories...

At first, I was going to merge this point with the next one, but now I remembered that track specifically (above) and how important it made some turnarounds in my recent years. I was high in my 10 years old, and living the highlight of my life so far. It was also when I first started to create my own musical tastes. It was when I first got really into video games and consequently their music. I had a very poor Notebook which while it didn't go too far from Windows 98, it surely gave loads of good memories. Doom, SimCity 2000 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles were the most normal games to me, these were my 90s. In fact, it was probably here when I first assumed to be a Sonic fan, while I likely already knew it for 2 years or so. Specifically about the song above, I also listened lots of MOD songs (Music used in some games, simplifying a (very) high quality midi).

The Sonic Years (2013-2015)

Oh, wow. It surely does hurt to see how fast time has passed. Actually the reason which probably make us all together today in this topic. Still back when I was 10, I finally start building up my personality. When I put Sonic into one of my favorite things and priorities, and it surely it granted a huge place into my headphones too. I really got into those Sonic songs as well many of them later opened lots of doors for me, as I'll dive specifically in the next two points. I also don't believe I've much to develop in this point because I think anyone already had this phase and no matter how much you listen Sonic musics, everyone here knows what I'm talking about.

• Hard Times, literally (2015)

While I still listened to Sonic songs, new paths were opening. Even if you listen to only musics present into Sonic games, I doubt you never crossed with the song above. If not, you probably recognize that melody and so, I won't enter many details. For some reason I really got into The Jetzons works in early 2015. I don't know why. If I look now I see how mislead I was. A 12 years old boy listening songs from a dead band from the 80s. These were very hard times (*ba dum tss*), and while I recognize these songs are good, they don't give me much good memories at the point it's not always I feel comfortable to listen them.

• Julien-K (2015 - Present)

The second door Sonic opened for me, it's also the one I most talk about. At first, I thought I was alone in this one, but now I see there are also lots of Sonic and Julien-K fans out there which I even dare to say they are the most popular Sonic band just behind Crush 40, I'm likely wrong, tho. Yet, while I can't say these are easier times, Julien-K probably is the band which changed me the most. You'll notice from here on, that most points are still opened up, because after all, they are still in motion. While I'm always disagreeing with some detail the band might put out and even their last album I didn't like at all, I still used to say they are my favorite band and Strange Invisible (above) is probably my favorite song all time. I might have heard others better song but the emotions I've connected with this one are uncountable.

• Fluke (2017 - Present)

And so, time kept moving and new horizons were opened. Now, almost every song which once was in my library since 2015, I still keep them today, even if not always I listen them. Like, you know. It's very painful to delete a song which once was your favorite. I've a curious but long story with this song which I'm not sure if I should develop it much, but going short, I probably already have listened this song almost 8 years earlier, but it was here I capture all its glory. Later, I dived also into their other works but mostly in 2018 and even today I once find a lost masterpiece between their early albums. Here, I can also open two links. The first one I'll link with the Techno days (2013), because it actually took me a while, however Fluke (above) and Orbital (Techno & Chiptune) were contemporary bands of the same genre. The second, it comes to the same game, when I guess I can say I fall in love with my current favorite genre:

• Trance (2018 - Present)

Once you start listening too much music, you'll also develop skills to identify a banger song even before you finish it. I can't think on a better example than the above one. When I first listened it, I wasn't looking which artist it was, but I definitely fell in love with it, when I went look who was the owner of this masterpiece, it was anyone else than Paul van Dyk, who coincidentally also was in Need for Speed Underground 2 (See Fluke) soundtrack. I was already deep in the genre and while I still listen to it a lot, there's numerous of others artists I can name: Armin van Buuren, Ferry Corsten, Above & Beyond... And I actually managed to talk with some of them! But yeah, let's not go too off-topic. Once you find the masterpieces this genre have to offer, you instantly fall in love with it, but these days they are even more rare.

• The Beatles (2018 - Present)

Great bands deserve two songs

This one actually starts a little earlier than the Trance one, but its impacts were only noticed months later. This one is a huge throwback to my Early Days. Once my dad decided to lent his records to me, and followed by an interest in the band I already have since the Early Days, the impact was very huge. Again, there's not much I believe I can say that anyone doesn't know. Except for the past months (2020), they were mostly background music while I was bored with everything else in my library, but soon I also got their vinyl and had a good part of their discography, I've marathon their works and now I really have some favorite tunes.

• House, Deep and Ambient (2020 - Present)

This is a point which barely started. It takes place a few weeks before the Beatles' marathon. But going direct to the point, while Trance is my favorite genre, it surely is a very energetic genre and some times you'll really want to do nothing except for chill. And honestly, I really need these moments into my life. However, you probably have noticed so far, everyone gave me a step to find the musics, be my parents, video games, Sonic... But this one, I'm really lost and slowly finding my way. For this reason, there's not much to talk about, as well I also got cut for the next "wave" (*ba dum tss* 2).

• Vinyls, Synth-Wave and the 80's (2020 - Present)

This year it makes the first time in my life I first touched and started vinyl collection. Mostly taking records from my dad familiars who aren't that interested on them, I could find some huge memorable songs like the above one. Now the collection involves 15 records from some of the most known artists: The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Duran Duran, Kraftwerk and a-ha. Of course by this  massive journey I had, the electronic ones does really catch my attention and really an honor to have them in my library. Again, as I mentioned before, many of these come into that retrospective "vibe" of having of everything a little in my library, and so, many of these songs also make a callback to the Early Days which probably are the reason I have some memories of when I was like 5 or 6 years old. Like you know, you listen a song you never knew the name but then it start playing and you recognize the melody and think "oh yeah... that song".

--

Well, that's it. I personally can't believe on how everything went, specially considering I'm not even 20 years old and have such musical journey. I really hopes much more come and to always have a headphone nearby. From the good sides of quarantine, listening almost an album per week is probably one of the best consequences. So here's a brief timeline:

Pop/Rock (2003-2011) → Techno & Chiptune (2012-2013) → Soft Rock (2014-2015) → New Wave (2015) → Alternative/Synth-Rock (2015 - Present) → Techno (2017- Present) → Trance (2018 - Present) → Classic Rock (2018 - Present) → House, Deep and Ambient (2020 - Present) → Synth-Wave (2020 - Present)

I think I finally can put this topic out and of course, I'm curious to also know your history! Please share with us!

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, first of all... holy crap you were born in 2003!? I gotta say, I thought you were older considering the discussion you and I had about the history of the world in that topic I made a few weeks back. I hope I don't sound condescending, but you definitely seem wise beyond your years!

Now in regards to the topic itself, I'll be brief: As a kid I loved 80's music, and... I still love 80's music. I was born in 1986 so I actually wasn't alive for most of that decade, but even so it's the music of that time that always managed to light me up. And I'm not just talking popular music of the kind that gets played on the radio, I'm also talking theme songs for television shows, commercial jingles and so fourth. The 80's just had such a unified vibe to it, the same melody sung by a major pop star could just as easily have been an intro for a cartoon. Speaking of cartoons, i'd say that the composers with the greatest sheer volume of great 80's music under their belt are Shuki Levy and Haim Saban, who wrote the theme song for, like, EVERY cartoon of the decade. Do yourself a favor and explore this collection of their finest work:

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I'm not stuck with certain gentes. I tend to listen to different music genres. But I still have some favorites over others (I went to 2 Aerosmith concerts) but also have some that I can't stand that much (Most of times are songs that involve twerkin') but doesn't mean I completely negate those genres. Which one has been changing over the time as I grew as well as how often I wanted to listen to music. Compared to when I was younger, I listen to A LOT more of music than back then.

Looking at my Spotify account, I have songs from the 60s to early 2010s and some modern ones. There's a lot of variety looking at it: Beatles, Ozzy, BØRNS, Dream Theatre. Pretty recently I've been listening to a lot of local music too.

I always listen while going to and from work and when going out...which has been imposible recently due to already known circumstancies. Instead I leave the headphones on the other pillows and use them when going to bed

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering I grew up in a hispanic family. The earliest music I heard was mostly Mexican Music. Occasionally some of my family members would play pop music in the early 2000's.

Over time I don't think I heard much of music outside of popular types. I did enjoy listening to Video game Music when I could but I only got the chance to do that in Video games. 
Recently over the years my tastes has became more and more chaotic however with listening to foreign type of music, and getting into as many genre of music I can so I can figure what I prefer over others and discover new songs. My playlist would end up having random mix of songs.

• Thumbs Up 1