Awoo.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1-2 [Do kickflips in 4K!]

Jango

The state of Activision is darkly amusing when the definite established B-Team, who spent an entire decade making kinda bleh but acceptable followups/conversions of things Neversoft hit out of the park (all the way back to Spiderman 2) was the one that survived the great CoD purging of 2000s developers to revive the Tony Hawk series.

• Chuckle 3

That's cool. I've always liked the Tony Hawk games. Can't believe it's been over 20 years since I played the original on DC 😮 I wish this was 1-4, though.

I wonder if Spider-Man will still be in. I hope so.

12 minutes ago, Marcello said:

That's cool. I've always liked the Tony Hawk games. Can't believe it's been over 20 years since I played the original on DC 😮 I wish this was 1-4, though.

I wonder if Spider-Man will still be in. I hope so.

Probably not, the game rights are back with Marvel - Activision lost the rights a long time ago and had to purge all of the games up to Amazing Spidey 2 off digital storefronts. I have my doubts Marvel would give the rights, since Nintendo/Sony already got them for Spidey PS4/Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, but Activision probably wouldn't pay out cash for the sake of one bonus character.

My teenage years were spent round a mates house almost living and breathing that warehouse.

Man, I feel old.

Jack Black played this with Tony Hawk:

Admittedly looks a bit rough in this state (frame rate is pretty shit and some of the animations are borked), but this was a couple months ago and it least it shows that it's not just the 2012 game being rereleased at the end of this console generation. It also looks like it controls better than HD did?

I'm looking forward to this, but it's hardly a top priority TBH. I bought the infamous THPS HD on PS3 back then, and seesh. The physics were just not right. It's an arcade game with many challenges that require a LOT of precision, something Robomodo didn't achieved. They fucked the physics even more with THPS5 from what I've seen (I didn't bought it).

The missing songs (from RATM, especially) didn't bothered me because the game, at least on the PS3, allowed custom soundtrack. I basically downloaded every single song from the THPS franchise to my PS3, made a playlist and bam. The game would even mute the BGM automatically. But yeah, that game ran a little crappy and it was short on the level list. I believe they're gonna bring EVERY level this time. But I doubt they'll be able to get every song.

As for the secret skater... You can quote me when the game launches, but I'm betting my finger that "Guy in a Crash Bandicoot Suit" is gonna be a playable character. Spider-man might get in as PS4 exclusive tho'.

And speaking of Crash:

Vicarious Visions you sneaky bastards.

15 hours ago, Jango said:

Ah nice, the video is marked for children, for a game that is supposed to be rated for Teen.

Looks pretty nice, might not get it, might get it, who knows. It depends if Vicarious Visions could pull it off. I mean, Activision hasn't bought back the licence for a trashy remake, that's for sure.

19 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Probably not, the game rights are back with Marvel - Activision lost the rights a long time ago and had to purge all of the games up to Amazing Spidey 2 off digital storefronts. I have my doubts Marvel would give the rights, since Nintendo/Sony already got them for Spidey PS4/Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, but Activision probably wouldn't pay out cash for the sake of one bonus character.

I know they don't have the game rights anymore, but I still hope they pay for bonus character. 

If he's not in, I hope they don't replace him with garbage like Crash. 😱😘

Some gameplay! Looks spot on from what I can tell. Won't know for certain untill I actually play it, but it's easy to notice the difference between this and THPS HD, which was floaty and awkward to control. You could say that from videos alone, actually playing the game was even worse... Now 1+2, this looks like the THPS gameplay I've used to remember.

This probably has to do with the fact that this time, Vicarious Visions DID got the code from the original developers (Neversoft), unlike with Crash.

The graphics are looking really nice too, kudos to VV. I like how the skaters are aged and all, but it would be nice to have the option to play as them from 20 years ago too, like a skin. Not that I don't wanna play as middle age Tony Hawk, but for nostalgia sake. Pretty sure low poly retro skins are gonna be a thing tho'. Also, fucking get those secret characters back VV, c'mon.

Oh, and, since this is an Activision game:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/tony-hawks-pro-skater-1-2-remasters-releasing-this/1100-6477142/

It won't have MTX........ At launch! Oh man, here we go again.

Real talk tho'... I would 100% pay real money to get Spider-man in this, that's for sure.

Or maybe it has to do with the fact that Vicarious Visions, a development studio that existed for quite some time indeed before making the Crash remakes, have a lot of experience with how Tony Hawk games should feel since they made quite a few Tony Hawk games.

1 hour ago, Tornado said:

Or maybe it has to do with the fact that Vicarious Visions, a development studio that existed for quite some time indeed before making the Crash remakes, have a lot of experience with how Tony Hawk games should feel since they made quite a few Tony Hawk games.

Oh man, thanks! I had no idea! I only care for Crash you know.

On 5/12/2020 at 1:07 PM, Tornado said:

Oh. Epic Games Store. Nevermind.

Laughs in Tim Sweeney

Seriously though this looks dope, can't wait to play it in a year.👍

• 2 months later...

Demo's out today for everyone who pre-ordered the game digitally (or bought a Tony Hawk burrito LMAO).

Someone recorded the intro:

The editing has absolutely nothing special, in fact, it's very poorly made, I mean, white subtitles? But fuck, that makes me nostalgic.

Also, the songs are gonna get swear words censored again. Points for authenticity, but c'mon. 

The legendary Officer Dick returns... As Jack freaking Black!

Now, who's gonna be Private Carrera? And could Spider-man be a PlayStation exclusive? There's certainly a chance there.

Launch trailer:

Fucking Chopper Drop looks awesome! Can't wait to see more of Skate Heaven too!

Damn, everything looks so fine. I think I'm gonna get this bad boy on launch after all. 

• 2 weeks later...

So this game released yesterday and I've been playing ever since and... yeah. 

It's perfect. Very light nitpicks related to some online stuff (that VV already said they're working on) and the lack of basic options for the CaS mode (there's no way to change the height or weight of your skater, or give him/her glasses, earings, etc). Other than that, it plays even better than the originals. It looks stunning, they managed to get the rights to "Bring the Noise" from THPS2 in the end and the new songs are really fucking good too. Billy Talent's "Affraid of Height" is awesome.

I think it's on par with Shadow of the Colossus as best remake ever made. 

• 5 months later...

As per the norm, Activision's pulled their usual shit with the ports of the game. Hope you didn't think Crash 4 was an indication of them changing their ways either, because they want ten bucks to upgrade to the Next-Gen version if you already own it. It's only free if you own the digital deluxe edition.

Next-Gen Features:

• 120fps at 1080p
  • Native 4K at 60fps
  • Spatial Audio

Really? What exactly is their thought process here? (beyond scummy money grabbers)

So, after Crash 4 (a new game) is free on upgrade or £10 less on Switch, now they want £10 more for the remastered versions of the remakes of older games? Are they actually mental?

The only way this would be almost justified is if THPS3 got added in as a bonus

EDIT: OK, so I just read the fine print - this is affecting the Digital Deluxe Edition - I missed that part of your post (I also didn't know this game even HAD a deluxe edition - what exactly extra was worth them leaving out of the main game?).

So basically this is just Control all over again (although not quite as bad) as they're saying the version on PS5 which will be available only is the Digital Deluxe? Am I right in understanding that?