Awoo.

PS5 Unreal Engine Tech Demo

Dreadknux

I'm a bit surprised that this hasn't been posted yet, but Epic has released a new video showing off its Unreal Engine running on PlayStation 5. And... whew. The stuff it can do is super stunning.

Every time I think 'oh a new console generation's coming up there can't possibly be any further graphics can go' and then I see a concept tech demo and it blows my socks off. There is an argument that most games may not end up looking like this (mostly because of the cost of production versus potential sales/revenue payoff - Epic's biggest game right now in fact is Fortnite, which isn't exactly graphically taxing), but it certainly is food for thought. I can definitely see PlayStation Studios taking advantage of some of this.

What do you guys think?

• Thumbs Up 3

It looks stunning for sure! I am curious to see what sorts of games will come out with this level of visual detail, but I'm just as interested to see how artsier games (Journey, Breath of the Wild) will take advantage of the extra juice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Rip Unreal Tournament 4, Officially. Hopes on an UT5 for 2025 according to UT Discord (fan talk). The franchise is likely dead by now.

I give an overview on the video. The game by itself it actually looks a bit interesting, though I believe this is just a demo to show the engine.

But yeah, I may be wrong as this is my first time watching a generation transition, and I see a few YouTubers I follow have a similar opinion.

It surely has nice graphics and all, but I actually see not much machinery will be able to run it. I doubt my PC would run a game of that engine. Even on low. And honestly, one of things I really have been wanting on the games is more portability. Like, maybe you can simply add a downgrade option and you have a bunch of low end PC owners able to play it. Again, I've heard lots of conspiracy about 4K/8K, which most likely is unnecessary the attempt to adapt if for video games, because the difference would be mostly notable unless you stayed too far and with a monitor/television of the size or bigger than a cinema screen. (I may say something wrong, correct me if necessary).

But yeah, also buying a new console isn't in the plans now. As mentioned, the cost of doing one of these would be pretty expensive which kinda is a misleading advertisement for me.

Idk, maybe everything I just said is pure BS, maybe there's some truth on it. I just remembered UE can be used on movie making for example. I don't believe this will affect me too soon and in the worst of possibilities, it helps nothing have an awesome engine with bad games coming out. 2 of the latest games I had more fun were based on the classics, Sonic Mania and Ion Fury (Duke Nukem 3D alike FPS). So probably the problem is not the Engine, but the game project.

Not sure what more to say...

I flat out love what's being shown here. While a lot of the tool set probably can't be realistically used to this degree on the scale of a full game (yet), a lot of it can be utilized in smaller way that can enhance a wide spectrum of future titles in monumental ways.

It's one of the main things that I love about Unreal. It's versatile as hell and can be molded into so many different projects. It's not just for photo-realism. Its toolset can be leveraged across a wide array of different artstyles. I honestly can't wait to see how different devs use these newer tools.

Am also curious to see how many more studios might start to switch over from more proprietary engines. In the last few years, we've really seen a bit of a shift in terms what publishers and devs use for their game development on the back-end. I feel as though there was this huge drive by seemingly every major publisher to use their own in-house option a while back for everything they did but that's suddenly become less of the case. Now we're starting to see Microsoft, Sony, EA, Square, hell even Nintendo start to leverage more widely known engines like Unreal. Though, of course you have companies like Capcom still successfully leveraging their in-house tech overall so it'll be interesting to see where this all goes on next gen. There are certainly strong benefits to both.

Though, this all aims to make dev work for higher-end spec more doable which is something that should always be applauded. Can't wait to see how this engine further matures as, a lot of the time, the games that come out often end up looking better than these early tech demos. Factor in a PC one to two years from now and... mmmmm yes.

• Thumbs Up 1

What's being shown is super impressive and I'm excited to see what's to come! I just really hope some studios try to push a different kind of art style to its limits rather than the usual hyper realism most games have now. Either way I'm looking forward to what they have in store in the future.

Looked really nice. If this is what we can start expecting from games in a few years, it'll be a nice generation.

I never cared for UE3, but I thought UE4 was quite nice, especially since its ease of use really seemed to revitalize many Japanese studios, so I hope this continues that trend.

4 hours ago, VirtualVanto said:

What's being shown is super impressive and I'm excited to see what's to come! I just really hope some studios try to push a different kind of art style to its limits rather than the usual hyper realism most games have now. Either way I'm looking forward to what they have in store in the future.

What a weird thing to say when nowadays so many games are cartoony or stylized. It's not like we're back in the mid-360 era of brown "realism" games.