Awoo.

Paper Mario: The Origami King

Wraith

5 minutes ago, KHCast said:

So it looks like they are actual active partners that do shit and aren’t just npc’s that will follow you around 

These are screenshots from color splash. the tweet even says so

5 minutes ago, KHCast said:

So it looks like they are actual active partners that do shit and aren’t just npc’s that will follow you around 

Those screenshots are of Color Splash, and the point Arlo's making is that we don't know if Origami King has actual partners yet, or if they just follow you around a la Flavio in TTYD.

Until I see some footage of them helping out in battle, I'm not gonna get my hopes up. 

6 minutes ago, Wraith said:

These are screenshots from color splash. the tweet even says so

DOPE. I was had 

Amazing how selective the brain can sometimes be in the words it sees when you’re mostly paying attention to the pics smh

16 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Those screenshots are of Color Splash, and the point Arlo's making is that we don't know if Origami King has actual partners yet, or if they just follow you around a la Flavio in TTYD.

Until I see some footage of them helping out in battle, I'm not gonna get my hopes up. 

There is footage in the now-deleted Chinese trailer showing one in battle. Not in action, but it’s there. 

1 minute ago, Operationgamer17 said:

There is footage in the now-deleted Chinese trailer showing one in battle. Not in action, but it’s there. 

Right, I think the concern is that this could be a non-combat tutorial character - like Goompa or Professor Frankly. Someone who stands behind you and explains what to do but doesn't actually fight.

Maybe they do fight! But since we haven't seen definitive footage yet, I just don't want to jump the gun and get disappointed later.

• Thumbs Up 1

Them taking part in combat isn't isn't the most important thing. The partners in PM and TTYD, as well as Luigi, Peach and Bowser, were so much fun to have around for the stories that they were involved in and the dialogue that they added to the game. They added oodles of personality, charm and intrigue. 

As I've said before, the combat in the first two games was a mixed bag. I loved the simple and intuitive design of it, but always found it got too slow and repetitive. The partner system kind of exacerbated this; take out Goombella to Tattle the first enemy of its kind that you see, use Vivian to brutalise enemies as soon as you get her, ignore Flurry entirely because she's trash... You even need to take time selecting moves for each character in the party, even though you're going to end the battle in a single turn. Paper Mario combat has always erred on the side of tedious. I care much more about getting a fun and engaging battle system that I don't start to try to actively avoid every time I get a few encounters into a new area. And this is to say nothing of the molasses pace of the Colour Splash combat... That's why I'm willing to see and try out the new battle system. Partners in combat are potentially very fun, but only if the combat system is already good to begin with.

I'm more bothered about getting a good cast to work with. So far, I'm disappointed by the prospect of  characters like Bob-omb and Magikoopa. My hopes aren't high for the new exposition fairy either. At least it's looks like Bowser is an ally? He could very well been fun.

Given how people have talked about them, I suppose it’s a good thing I never got to the last two Paper Mario games after SPM.

THIS, however, still looks interesting. I didn’t think they could top the scale they had with SPM’s plot, but the new villain looks even more twisted than Dimentio (as for if can follow that act, we’ll see).

Definitely interested.

I quite enjoyed Color Splash, but Sticker Star was awful.  It was exceedingly non-intuitive to the point I ended up having to look up exactly what super-sticker was needed for each boss and when to use it, because a lot of things that seemed reasonable to do big damage did little to none.  And, of course, once you used it, it was gone, and you had to finish or quit the battle to go fetch another one if you used your super weapon at the wrong time.  Color Splash I finished with only one or two instances of having to look up something - and one of those was my usual, 'But that's exactly what I was doing!'

I never actually played the original, but I adored TTYD and Super Paper Mario, and while Color Splash wasn't as good I found it extremely enjoyable.

GameXplain has posted their hour-long analysis of the trailer. Turns out, there’s a lot of references to the first two games. 

On 5/20/2020 at 5:08 PM, Sonictrainer said:

We have a small video of the combat in English

Okay, the attacks being actual weapons and not consumable items makes a huge difference.

Even if the special skills are still item-based, that's not the worst thing in the world. The later Mario & Luigi game used "Bros. Items" for skills and I still had fun with those.

I'm just happy we can jump and hammer (and hopefully use partner attacks too) as much as we want.

Well, about that battle system...

If you've even wondered why Mario had so many coins in all the trailers, here's the reason: Apparently, you can spend them to buy more time to line the enemies.

• 3 weeks later...

Bobby is a named character so that's a megaton, still not sure about the battle system, bosses being stationery is lame as hell.

• Thumbs Up 3

Another short video showing off the boss battle mechanics against the origami turtle:

Also more videos and screenshots here, including "badges", of a sort:

ocnoh6ffih451.png

Honestly I'm starting to feel pretty hyped. I had a lot of fun with Color Splash and this is looking bigger and wilder in every way.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

Turns out Olivia is awesome.

She's also the big blue dragon helping fight the phoenix in the trailer; you can see her crown on it.

• Thumbs Up 4

I raised my eyebrows at first at two of the bosses being a tray of coloured pencils and a tape dispenser, given that the rubber band guy proves they're perfectly capable of giving the stationery bosses true designs... but on the other hand, they do amazing things with that pencil case in the trailer, the missile concept, the gatling gun, the concept of shutting the lid so its "missiles" are trapped inside - and those kind of hinge on the form and imaginary versatility of its nature as a pure pencil case.  Plus it's kind of hilarious.

Battle system seems to be leaning heavily on the idea of battles as puzzled to be navigated, and I'm okay with that given that it's just a more abstract form of the kind of strategising you have to do in a lot of regular battle systems.  Not surprised that there doesn't appear to be an experience system, given that I get the impression that you can choose any of your five directions to go in from the get-go.  I've got no problem with a durability system in itself; the problem with Sticker Star's limited supply system (which is really what a durability system is too) is that returns from battles were inferior to your expenditure, so battles were literally just an obstacle to be avoided where possible.  So long as Origami King balances it right so that you make a net gain from battles, it should be fine.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm gradually being won over.

The Bob-omb named Bob-omb actually isn't: He's Bobby! He has an actual name and this feels like an actual character. My big complaint about him is addressed, and I feel a lot better about him and (presumably) the other partners having more of their own unique identity in the game, despite the lack of super visually distinct designs.

Partners helping in battle is good to confirm too. Though it's looking like they might be locked to certain areas or chapters, since we keep seeing Mario alone in different places in the trailer?

Not crazy about fighting office supplies as bosses. They don't particularly fit the origami theme.

Accessories look neat. Not exactly the badge system I wanted, but it's a step in the right direction.

"Not what I wanted, but it's a step in the right direction" pretty much sums up how I'm feeling about the game as a whole right now.

• Thumbs Up 2

The variety in the gameplay, the creative battle sytem and the fact that the world consists of non-toad npcs is really getting me hyped for this game.

We have Goombas and Koopas with hair.

av514cB.png

The curse of the generic designs may finally be lifting.

At this rate we'll have Toads who have more than the standard basic platformer design (other than different outfits; I'm talking about things like hair, body type, spot patterns, etc.) and the series will truly be set to right.

Honestly, though. Mustached Koopas are such a big deal, with how adamant Nintendo's been about homogenizing all the designs of each species. The creative boundaries are definitely being pushed, and hopefully soon will be broken through entirely.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a step in the right direction but still feels a little on the flashy/gimmicky side. The battle systems to have more thought put into it than before but the resource management is still a turn-off. I'm still leaning toward passing on it or at least waiting a few months for impressions to settle, but there's a lot more to like than before. 

• Thumbs Up 3