Awoo.

Cool Internet things for Children ('s Day)?

MetalSkulkBane

I have two little cousins (age 6 and 9) who live far away from me and for obvious reasons we won't see each other anytime soon (Skype is not the same).

Since Children's Day is coming I though I could  share with them something cool, but it's hard to find anything awesome that is
- age appropriate
- simple enough for them
- overall they don't haven't seen/ got yet
Gaming wise they casual, mostly playing Minecraft and Mario Karts Wii (Nope, I failed to addict them to Sonic). Movies-wise opposite problem: they watched pretty much all animated movies I can think of (at least good ones).

It doesn't has to be big, just a little token that I remember then. For example they loved when i showed them this song. Other time I gave them "world of goo" game.

Any suggestions?

That's a hard question, there's lot's of internet content that's appropriate for kid's, but whether or not your cousins will like them is another. My niece loved Dogcraft, a kid friendly Let's Play series about a woman named Stacy rescuing Dogs in her modded Minecraft world. The show eventually starts having story arcs and even a cross over with Bookcraft, a modded Minecraft series also by Stacy where she builds structures in Minecraft from famous books. Her Mineclash series is also a lot of fun, basically she and another Youtuber Grazer10 compete with each other in various challenges in Minecraft. The Duck Song Trilogy and Carmy and Claire are two things my niece showed me just before the pandemic. They seem like they are both intended for a very young audience, but she likes them. There was a funny series of kid-friendly videos on Youtube called Talking Animals, which as the name implies was about animals that could talk and my niece really liked them. The new Mickey Mouse shorts on Youtube are really good, the first season feels a bit too much like Spongebob at times but it gets better. Homestar Runner was an online series I watched a lot as a preteen that I think holds up and is mostly age appropriate. The only problem with that show is that it likes to use the word "crap".

As for animated movies, really all of them? Even hidden gems like the Great Mouse Detective, Cats Don't Dance, the Secret of Nimh, the Land Before Time and nearly countless others? The first live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is still a classic in my opinion plus Batman: Mask of Phantasm and that's not even getting into Studio Ghibli movies. I could go on and on about great family movies that don't seem to get enough recognition.

I don't know what to tell you about games. My niece and nephew love Mario, Sonic, Minecraft, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro but I can't get them to try Mario Kart for some reason. My niece can't get enough of horror games like Five Nights at Freddy's or Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion, but that's not exactly age appropriate. She also likes Dr. Mario and Puyo Puyo, I guess "match the colors" is an easy enough concept for her to understand.

And of course there's lots of shorts available on Youtube, here's just a few I can think of on the top of my head:

I'm sorry if I wasn't very helpful, I know how hard it can be to get kids into something. Good luck!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1