Awoo.

New Game Plus Expo June 23rd 2020

Blue Blood

Links:

Official Website, Twitter, YouTube and Twitch.

Watch live on Twitch on June 23rd at...

• BST (UK) 17:00 to 00:00
  • PT 09:00 to 16:00
  • ET 12:00 to 19:00

Details

Just announced as a collaborative effort between several publishers. It's an online event, going somewhat to fill the gap events like E3, SXSW and TGS that have been cancelled this year. It'll be streamed via Twitch Here's what an press release on Games Radar has to say, including times, dates and links:

5ZgF3XoMM8veTa5eGUxDPA-320-80.jpg

New Game Plus Expo, a brand new digital showcase of upcoming games from publishers such as Sega, Koei Tecmo, and more, has been announced today. 

The show will be broadcast live on Twitch on June 23 at 8AM PT / 11AM ET / 4PM BST, with a live broadcast then running from 9AM PT to 4PM PT / 12PM to 7PM ET / 5PM to 12AM BST, promising game reveals, first look gameplay demos, developer interviews, and more. That's a lot of gaming news, so naturally, you'll want to pencil the date in your diary.  

The publishers who will be showcasing their upcoming games in New Game Plus Expo include: 

• Acttil
  • Aksys Games
  • Arc System Works America
  • GungHo America
  • Idea Factory International
  • Inti Creates
  • Koei Tecmo America
  • Natsume Inc.
  • NIS America, Inc.
  • Playsim
  • Sega of America
  • SNK Corporation
  • Spike Chunsoft, Inc.
  • WayForward

Adam Johnson, producer of NGPX said in a press release: "New Game+ Expo is a grassroots coalition of publishers and developers. Organizing together for the first time, we hope fans have fun as we take a look at the combined upcoming lineup of games for 2020 and beyond!" 

Ian Curran, Sega of America president and COO, also said: “COVID-19 has brought with it many challenges, but also an opportunity to come together as a bold collective of publishers. SEGA is delighted to announce its participation in New Game+ Expo… joining forces to create a one-of-a-kind showcase event that unifies a special slice of the video game industry.”

You'll be able to watch New Game Expo Plus right here on GamesRadar, as well as keeping up to date with all the news that comes from the digital showcase as soon as it happens. You can also check out New Game Expo Plus's Twitter and YouTube for more information. 

Naturally attention on this site is going to be drawn towards SEGA and the date, which just so happens to be Sonic's birthday. After the cancelled SXSW panel in March, it seems likely that any game announcements will be made during NGPX if there are indeed any Sonic game announcements to be made. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh... I don't see this being the place for Sonic. The list of publishers there are more well-regarded for their more niche titles, focused more towards the Japan side of things. SEGA don't pick the event date, either.

I'm expecting more along the lines of Yakuza here; keep in mind a couple years back SEGA's way of marking Sonic's anniversary was dropping Project DIVA Future Tone. Unless it's a milestone year, I don't think the date has much significance outside of an obligatory Twitter post. 

4 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Eh... I don't see this being the place for Sonic. The list of publishers there are more well-regarded for their more niche titles, focused more towards the Japan side of things. SEGA don't pick the event date, either.

I'm expecting more along the lines of Yakuza here; keep in mind a couple years back SEGA's way of marking Sonic's anniversary was dropping Project DIVA Future Tone. Unless it's a milestone year, I don't think the date has much significance outside of an obligatory Twitter post. 

I'm not implying this is in any way a Sonic event or that the date is anything other than a coincidence. But SEGA typically do their Sonic announcements between Spring and Summer. With the SXSW panel cancelled along with the promise that the news will be delivered in a different format in the future, it's not a stretch that SEGA would deliver Sonic news at NGPX. Doesn't have to be a game, doesn't have to be anything at all. It's like a possibility, and not a far-fetched one. New games from the participating publishers will be announced here, and other upcoming titles that we already know about will be discussed too. 

Just now, Blue Blood said:

I'm not implying this is in any way a Sonic event or that the date is anything other than a coincidence. But SEGA typically do their Sonic announcements between Spring and Summer. With the SXSW panel cancelled along with the promise that the news will be delivered in a different format in the future, it's not a stretch that SEGA would deliver Sonic news at NGPX.

I don't think SEGA would necessarily have been aware of this when SXSW went south, and not by South West; this seems more like a response to COVID-19 that's come later, and wouldn't have been a factor in the new format plans, which I'm guessing will be on SEGA's own terms moreso. 

8 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

I don't think SEGA would necessarily have been aware of this when SXSW went south, and not by South West; this seems more like a response to COVID-19 that's come later, and wouldn't have been a factor in the new format plans, which I'm guessing will be on SEGA's own terms moreso. 

1. Panel planned for SXSW. Non-specific Sonic news promised.
  2.  COVID-19 forces SXSW to be cancelled, including the Sonic panel.
  3. SEGA promise to deliver news from the Sonic panel in April.
  4. SEGA cancels their plans for delivering news in April as the COVID-19 situation continues. Promise to deliver the news in the future.
  5. SEGA is participating in new digital event in June. 

Their new format plans evidently didn't go as originally planned and have been postponed pending further notice. This event has cropped up largely in response to COVID-19, and will be a way for the parties involved to deliver news that was interrupted by COVID-19. Now that the event is available, SEGA might opt to use it as a platform to deliver the Sonic news that was planned 3 months earlier. It's not guaranteed, just a possibility. 

5 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:
  1. Panel planned for SXSW. Non-specific Sonic news promised.
  2.  COVID-19 forces SXSW to be cancelled, including the Sonic panel.
  3. SEGA promise to deliver news from the Sonic panel in April.
  4. SEGA cancels their plans for delivering news in April as the COVID-19 situation continues. Promise to deliver the news in the future.
  5. SEGA is participating in new digital event in June. 

Their new format plans evidently didn't go as originally planned and have been postponed pending further notice. This event has cropped up largely in response to COVID-19, and will be a way for the parties involved to deliver news that was interrupted by COVID-19. Now thatthe even is available, SEGA might opt to use it as a platform for Sonic.

I just find that unlikely. SEGA have probably been planning the contingency since SXSW went bottoms-up, and I expect this came a fair bit after that planning. The fact the new format hasn't turned up yet doesn't mean it's off the table, but just that it's taking longer than expected to get together. That, and I point to the rest of the roster; even Wayforward I'd argue swing more into the side of things that fans of JP games prefer. It's an event for more niche publishers, and I think plonking Sonic in there would just overshadow the event.

To me it's akin to how Sonic isn't in Project X Zone; SEGA's presence in that game is far more niche and Japan-centric, and that's the approach I'm expecting here. 

At most, I'd expect to see the Sonic x Ninjala collab here, since GungHo are behind that game.

The date (June 23) is definitely a coincidence. 

That said, Sonic announcements as well as Sega announcements are more than likely. I'm not gonna say you will hear a game reveal there first, or any game being revealed in general. But anything is possible. This was an event for missed E3 stuff due to covid after all. It doesn't seem too out there.