Awoo.

Now that Sonic Boom is now confirmed to be dead, what was your favorite aspects of the sub-series?

Styx_Linoone

This was confirmed by the executive producer after one of the fans asked Ivo Gerscovich about Sonic Boom's fate over on the AMA.

image.png.c6dee022ad56a4d6f28024cdd0f77a9b.png

My favourite part of Boom? That Sticks appears to have only been a part of Boom and that one Olympics game, so  hopefully we never have to suffer her particular brand of "lol so random" and "lol so paranoid" humour or her incredibly grating voice ever again.

My second favourite part of Boom? I genuinely really enjoyed the character designs, their personalities and voices (Sticks aside, if that wasn't clear). Whilst Boom Knuckles and SEGA Knuckles aren't even remotely the same character, Boom Knuckles is good fun. I appreciate the dynamic that he has with the other characters, particularly Sonic himself. And he's really quite well put together for a dumb jock character in a children's comedy cartoon. Eggman was constantly entertaining too. It's a shame that the artstyle and storyline of RoL didn't persist in any way, because those aspects were the strongest parts of this sub-series. The cartoon didn't have any story and of course the story of RoL was neutered by the games development cycle, but I firmly believe that they were on too a good thing. Particularly in terms of art and stories/humour, RoL looked like it had slightly more mature, dirtier look and had an air of not just being for children beyond the meta humour. The sports-tape on everyone and Knuckles new physique in particular took some getting used to, but I love this cast picture:

Sonic-Boom-cast.jpg

And this one sucks:

Bp40uPNIcAAtoml?format=jpg&name=medium

Boom could have had some some serious potential until SEGA went and SEGAed all over it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sticks, of course. Still crossing fingers they manage to get her in since literally the only things holding her back is association with the show and maybe her voice.

After her, there were characters, elements, and episodes that I liked despite overall mixed concept and execution.

I liked the show's version/take on Knuckles and Amy, even if major aspects meant the former could've been a new character.

Eggman is Eggman with Mike Pollock having a looot of fun.

I liked a number of the side character's for what they were, like Fastidious, Comedy, Wily, and to a lesser extent Dave, despite not being much and because they are very much something different from the source. Though characters like Soar, Swifty, and the Gogobas sorta blurred the lines interestingly and I appreciate that as well. 

Special mention goes to Charlie and Belinda, who both kinda fit into the show's particular unique, but we're gradually growing above it to blend the down to earth side with the action adventure elements, not mention having a degree of genuine development and even slight weight(for lack of a better word) that other characters didn't have. I really wouldn't mind seeing something like them among other characters be reworked and integrated into the games.

Also gotta hand it to the episode Eggman's Brother, which I thought would be dreadful but actually took its premise, played with it, took it in interesting direction while still doing so, and surprisingly having sincerity to it by the end.

Which sorta brings me to the real star of the show: the satirical tone. This is a divisive element for some fans, especially from a wider perspective, but it's really what made The show get notice and last as long as it did. Because of that, it was able to take things both very old and new, have a lot of weird laughs, and have scenarios that no other part of the series would've been able to pull off much less have in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 3

I may hate this series but one thing I liked? Vector. Changing his dynamic to a TV detective was rather clever and gave me a few laughs. One of the better treatments of his character ever.

Sticks was my favorite part of Boom. Loved her character design, also liked the concept of a paranoid wild girl. I honestly relate to her in a certain number of ways. I didn't care for her US voice I gotta admit... but she sounded perfectly fine in a number of other languages. I hope they find a way to include a new version of her in the main series later. She would feel different! as the main games are not a pure comedy/sitcom which would result in her personality being altered little! but that is fine with me.

I also enjoy Boom Dr.Eggman's design, he had a charming personality on Boom too! Sometimes I wish they would had kept his design and moved it over for the main series too, not the personality tho, as it doesn't fit for the main games obviously.

I didn't think the TV show was great however, found the stories boring normally, and rarely found it super funny despite it badly trying to be. But It did have moments that were great to me I will say! Part of me still wishes Blaze would had appeared on the show... would had been interesting to see a Boom design for her, and the show having a princess character to play off from could had quite some funny possibilities.

• Thumbs Up 1

To me, Sticks has found a special place in the modern cast in my perspective. I'm just a little worried now that Boom is dead, means we never get to see Sticks again. But then again, look at the Babylon Rogues for example. They have appeared in a number of games outside of the Riders games (bar Storm).

Are we going to see Sticks in a future game? I think. Iizuka did state in a SXSW panel that they have plans for her, but finding an appropriate place  to put her in could hold her back to some extent.

I've never watched the series aside of maybe one episode and half, so I can't say much about it, but from all what I know about the series, my favorite part is Sticks' design. I don't know how she is as a character, but I like her design, it's pretty unique... offcourse not completely unique, she resembles Marine a bit, but still unique enough, and fits with the main series (not boom) designs of the characters.

Another thing that I like of this series is the design of the random animal people, I wish they used that type of design for NPCs in the main series too (also for the humans, just base their body proportions on them but give them human traits).

32 minutes ago, Styx_Linoone said:

To me, Sticks has found a special place in the modern cast in my perspective. I'm just a little worried now that Boom is dead, means we never get to see Sticks again. But then again, look at the Babylon Rogues for example. They have appeared in a number of games outside of the Riders games (bar Storm).

Storm is in Speed Battle and even got a wonderful pun of a costume.

32 minutes ago, Styx_Linoone said:

Are we going to see Sticks in a future game? I think. Iizuka did state in a SXSW panel that they have plans for her, but finding an appropriate place  to put her in could hold her back to some extent.

Oh yeah! Eager to see what that was.

24 minutes ago, Iko said:

I've never watched the series aside of maybe one episode and half, so I can't say much about it, but from all what I know about the series, my favorite part is Sticks' design. I don't know how she is as a character, but I like her design, it's pretty unique... offcourse not completely unique, she resembles Marine a bit, but still unique enough, and fits with the main series (not boom) designs of the characters.

She was evidently designed by SonicTeam, possibly being Tangle before Tangle.

24 minutes ago, Iko said:

Another thing that I like of this series is the design of the random animal people, I wish they used that type of design for NPCs in the main series too (also for the humans, just base their body proportions on them but give them human traits).

So that Sonicboy DJ artwork then?

There is a real chance that Sticks may be dead. Yeah, she was my favorite part of Sonic Boom. I can relate a LOT to her, so I am sad right now. That Sega wants to pretend as if she never existed. As someone who had mental issues, I feel it's disgusting how we only have one note psycho Zazz to relate to in this series.

17 minutes ago, Jack at Home said:

There is a real chance that Sticks may be dead. Yeah, she was my favorite part of Sonic Boom. I can relate a LOT to her, so I am sad right now. That Sega wants to pretend as if she never existed. As someone who had mental issues, I feel it's disgusting how we only have one note psycho Zazz to relate to in this series.

He is a villain. A vaguely demonic, possibly raised one at that.

Still, there's also Shadow and maybe Amy to potentially fall back on as well.

29 minutes ago, Jack at Home said:

...I'm afraid to say that I don't think Sticks was made as an earnest outreach to people with any kind of psychiatric illness. It was all played as a joke. She was just a paranoid conspiracy theorist, and that was the punchline. 

I would be shocked if SEGA ever greenlit a character with "mental issues" in this day and age; that territory is a bit too dicey for a series like this. Honestly, that's the sort of thing making a fan character could be for. Represent yourself.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • My Emmerdoods 1

Sticks was definetly the most intresting thing about Sonic Boom for me. The general attitude to most of the cast  in Boom mostly boiled down to "Whatever, let's just get this over with."  but Stick's was only that to have a consistently excitable personality that seemed to care what was going on...most of the time. I do hope this isn't the last we see of Sticks.

3 hours ago, Jack at Home said:

There is a real chance that Sticks may be dead.

That's just what they want you to think...😉

Her last major appearance, outside of Boom, was in those wonderful Sonic Channel comics back in 2016, which coincidentally, was the same year the Freedom Fighters made their last appearance. Unlike them though, she has been a playable character in a game and she has her own profile on Sonic Channel, which even had exclusive artwork done for her in 2015, 2016 and 2017. It's been a while since she's had any new artwork done for Sonic Channel, but Charmy had a six year gap with no new artwork lasting from 2014 until 2020.

It's possible we haven't seen the last of Sticks yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like Sticks' character design, but I also hate her personality and voice acting. Although I get that they probably wanted that - so probably not the fault of the actress.

32 minutes ago, Plumbers_Helper said:

but Charmy had a four year gap with no new artwork lasting from 2014 until 2020

You mean 2016, right? 

Then again, she was popular enough to get TWO plush toys, technically (the big head plush was sadly cancelled)

The games themselves weren’t my cup of tea and while I did enjoy the show for what it was, it’s simply not my ideal direction for Sonic. Probably the only truly important takeaway from this sub series for me would be Sticks. I thought her unique sense of humor was fun and genuinely entertaining in a series that’s still feeling a bit of a lack of great female game characters. So yeah, I do hope she has some kind of a future in the modern games line if nothing else from Boom survives. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1) sticks

2) the premise of an alt sonic franchise

3) sonic's personality and amy's

Side note someone says boom was over a 100mill loss for sega was that true

I haven't checked. But judging by the series' turbulent start with Rise of Lyric and Shattered Crystal, I wouldn't be too surprised.

5 minutes ago, Plumbers_Helper said:

I got my information from the Sonic News Network wiki, they list Charmy's last artwork as being released for May 2014 and his most current one being released for April 2020. Is that information wrong?

The thought of you saying it was a 4 year gap confused me.

3 minutes ago, Styx_Linoone said:

I haven't checked. But judging by the series' turbulent star with Rise of Lyric and Shattered Crystal, I wouldn't be too surprised.

The thought of you saying it was a 4 year gap confused me.

Woops! Math was never my strong point, sorry about that. I'll fix it.

Weirdly Sticks is probably the most one note of the main characters to me, they didn't really seem to take much interest in her character. I liked how they fiddled around with all the games characters, their flaws, their dynamics, their comfort zones (and being forced kicking and screaming out of them). They all had pretty top notch limelight episodes and deconstructions, even Orbot and Cubot to some degree. I especially LOVED Tails' character, so much of his old childishness and chemistry with Sonic shown again.

Sticks' limelight to compare was mostly gags or from other characters' perspectives. Most of her episodes in fact still had her in a supporting role and involved the rest's treatment of Sticks and them learning to accept her weirdness. She was weirdly the most complacent character, never getting a fun breakdown episode. Strange you'd think they'd have the MOST fun doing that to Sticks.

In hindsight though, maybe this is WHY Sticks felt tolerable. They avoided the dreaded 'spotlight hogging original character syndrome' that befallen nearly every other Sonic show.

On a side note, this is also the only show, or interpretation at all for that matter, that did the Golden Age cartoon setup of having Sonic and co 'lose' an episode odd times.

3 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

...I'm afraid to say that I don't think Sticks was made as an earnest outreach to people with any kind of psychiatric illness. It was all played as a joke. She was just a paranoid conspiracy theorist, and that was the punchline. 

I would be shocked if SEGA ever greenlit a character with "mental issues" in this day and age; that territory is a bit too dicey for a series like this. Honestly, that's the sort of thing making a fan character could be for. Represent yourself.

I know how it was played: badly. She was used as a joke and severely underused in general. Only in the comics she was an actual hero. I still loved her potential, and it's the closest thing I get to relate to a Sonic character, I guess. I don't want to relate to Zazz.

I am also not saying she was meant to be that. It's just how I feel about the character. I love her because I relate to her.

Edit: Okay, it's also less about "having mental issues" and more "I'm crazy, paranoid" but played lightly, and in fun ways. That's how I see it.

33 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

Weirdly Sticks is probably the most one note of the main characters to me, they didn't really seem to take much interest in her character. I liked how they fiddled around with all the games characters, their flaws, their dynamics, their comfort zones (and being forced kicking and screaming out of them). They all had pretty top notch limelight episodes and deconstructions, even Orbot and Cubot to some degree. I especially LOVED Tails' character, so much of his old childishness and chemistry with Sonic shown again.

Sticks' limelight to compare was mostly gags or from other characters' perspectives. Most of her episodes in fact still had her in a supporting role and involved the rest's treatment of Sticks and them learning to accept her weirdness. She was weirdly the most complacent character, never getting a fun breakdown episode. Strange you'd think they'd have the MOST fun doing that to Sticks.

There was the Season 2 episodes with the Dream Phantom,her being a reporter, and her ancestry being dug up. Also that time Knuckles decks square in the face.

33 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

In hindsight though, maybe this is WHY Sticks felt tolerable. They avoided the dreaded 'spotlight hogging original character syndrome' that befallen nearly every other Sonic show.

Yeah, that's probably a factor for better or worse.

I seem to recall Season 2 also sorta toned her hostility down.

12 minutes ago, Jack at Home said:

I know how it was played: badly. She was used as a joke and severely underused in general. Only in the comics she was an actual hero. I still loved her potential, and it's the closest thing I get to relate to a Sonic character, I guess. I don't want to relate to Zazz.

I am also not saying she was meant to be that. It's just how I feel about the character. I love her because I relate to her.

Edit: Okay, it's also less about "having mental issues" and more "I'm crazy, paranoid" but played lightly, and in fun ways. That's how I see it.

Forgive me for not being that in tune with the comic run, but I seem to recall the comics just treating her like an active crazy Marine. How many issues did it run and what did they involve beyond the Knuckles joining Eggman, Amy losing her hammer, Amy being trolled by a bug, and Comedy getting a new sidekick?

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

There was the Season 2 episodes with the Dream Phantom,her being a reporter, and her ancestry being dug up. Also that time Knuckles decks square in the face.

Yeah, that's probably a factor for better or worse.

I seem to recall Season 2 also sorta toned her hostility down.

Forgive me for not being that in tune with the comic run, but I seem to recall the comics just treating her like an active crazy Marine. How many issues did it run and what did they involve beyond the Knuckles joining Eggman, Amy losing her hammer, Amy being trolled by a bug, and Comedy getting a new sidekick?

Worlds Unite, mostly. Also, her own episodes in Boom.

There was a lot of potential. They just cut everything short. I preferred her in the comics because she was a hero. As I said.

Again most of Sticks' episodes were in fact from the others' perspective, them trying to keep Sticks in line and usually finding it out she's right or they want their old jerk back. I don't remember there actually being a lot of them either. Two piled together at the start of the series but otherwise minimal. They implied a fun nature vs technology rivalry with Tails near the start but I don't remember it happening much after strangely enough. Just a couple cases of them soiling each other's niche.

A shame, she could have made a cool Dale Gribble type character, the paranoid asshole who goes on wild goose chases. Maybe Knuckles taking over as the village air head made it harder to manage. I mean let's be fair, Knuckles' humour trounced Sticks.

11 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

That's the sad thing really, the comics were really short lived, though they seemed pretty in line with the show. Shame too, they could have had the same fun extension as the X comics quality wise (which also was short lived but at least got a reasonable run). Weird I like those promotional ones more than the mainstream comics.

Was Sticks even in the first few comics actually?

Also, can we consider the fact that it took this long for us to get concrete confirmation on the show being over?

9 minutes ago, Jack at Home said:

Worlds Unite, mostly. Also, her own episodes in Boom.

There was a lot of potential. They just cut everything short. I preferred her in the comics because she was a hero. As I said.

Eh, sure.

But yeah, there's a lot of stuff they could've done with her that they either didn't or couldn't. Her character almost felt custom made for interacting with the main Sonic cast in a variety of ways while still being her own thing. 

Also, her origins. Nuff said.

• Fist Bump 1