Awoo.

Now that Sonic Boom is now confirmed to be dead, what was your favorite aspects of the sub-series?

Styx_Linoone

That's exactly the thing. And the IDW comics would be perfect to let the writers explore her in a way that Boom couldn't, because of the comedy focus. But of course SEGA wants to erase any trace of Boom from existence, even the potential good stuff that could be kept.

Boom Tails was really cool, and of all characters he should have been the one they took notes from for the mainline games. The wacky inventor who takes things too seriously sometimes is perfect. And him fighting with whatever tools he has on hand at the time will always be cool.

Eggman and the shapebots were their best in this series, and I love them. 

Sticks. That's all.

Vector's random cameo was cool, and a decent interpretation.

That one joke about Knuckles puttung a baby in a blender. 

I'll miss Boom.

• Thumbs Up 2

The TV show, by far. I would dare say its humor even rivaled that of classic Spongebob at times. It definitely had a similar vibe to it.

I also love what they did with the characters. Taking Knuckles' gullible personality and twisting it into stupidity was a risky move, but they pulled it off; Knuckles has never been funnier. Besides him, I loved how they finally made Amy a competent, level-headed character instead of the Sonic-crazed lunatic she was in the main series.

All in all, I legit miss Boom. It was a fun alternate take on the Sonic world.

• Thumbs Up 2

Its honestly a damn shame how much of the developmental process was screwed up by Sega. You can tell they had so much more planned for this series that they simply could not go through with. That's something I'm gonna miss.

The tv show easily has the most fleshed out versions of the main cast to date; no other media has really explored them like this show has, and with the focus on more character driven narratives, they're allowed to display personality traits that are generally glossed over anywhere else. Now granted, it's not always exciting given how mundane the series is and it certainly could have pushed the envelope further, but its decidedly a different take.

• Thumbs Up 2

How it managed to avoid the trap Pac-Man and Mega Man fell into; rather than just being a watered down series with lore that doesn't go anywhere whatsoever with lousy animation, it instead goes for the inventive and unexpected direction of placing our cast into a sitcom world. Very interesting pick of genre for this character, and an honor to one of his oldest actors. The series managed to make the best of its limited seasons and episodes, and pushed away elements that would contradict its direction as fast as it could.

8 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

How it managed to avoid the trap Pac-Man and Mega Man fell into; rather than just being a watered down series with lore that doesn't go anywhere whatsoever with lousy animation,

Was that ever confirmed, btw?

8 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

. The series managed to make the best of its limited seasons and episodes, and pushed away elements that would contradict its direction as fast as it could.

For better or worse, in some cases?

I kinda liked the show but I only watched [most of] the first season. That's, uh, about it. I liked the show in spite of how I felt about the whole Boom thing as a whole and Sticks, who I don't even hate but I'm shocked is being mentioned in so many posts here.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Was that ever confirmed, btw?

What do you mean? I believe that user was referring to Ghostly Adventures, which certainly (unfortunately) existed.

20 minutes ago, Celestia said:

I kinda liked the show but I only watched [most of] the first season. That's, uh, about it. I liked the show in spite of how I felt about the whole Boom thing as a whole and Sticks, who I don't even hate but I'm shocked is being mentioned in so many posts here.

What do you mean? I believe that user was referring to Ghostly Adventures, which certainly (unfortunately) existed.

Yes, I was referring to Ghostly Adventures and Fully Charged, the latter of which will be continued as a comic, apparently.

http://www.rockman-corner.com/2020/05/mega-man-fully-charged-comic-book.html

That last line of Season 2 now seems like a cruel joke.

"Well, there's always next season..."

2 hours ago, Celestia said:

1 hour ago, Miragnarok said:

Yes, I was referring to Ghostly Adventures and Fully Charged, the latter of which will be continued as a comic, apparently.

http://www.rockman-corner.com/2020/05/mega-man-fully-charged-comic-book.html

Whether it was officially canceled.

I didn't watch the other, but at least the handful of fans it did have can still follow it.

1 hour ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

That last line of Season 2 now seems like a cruel joke.

"Well, there's always next season..."

That's arguably the point.

2 hours ago, Celestia said:

Not a fan? Thought she filled in s niche the sonic series never had besides maybe comic bean and was funny to boot

Probably the comic. The Boom comic is very sparse on content, 11 issues - three of which were crossovers during Worlds Unite that barely count. Of the eight actual issues, the six Ian wrote were pretty decent, showing a good understanding of the characters and with humor that seemed actually funny to me, primarily meta humor and fourth wall gags. It's not really what I ask for in Sonic content, but was cute for what it was. Of the Freibergers' two issues, issue 11 was good, in large part due to Diana Skelly's art, while issue 5 was pretty meh. I actually like the story in Rise of Lyric, but I haven't played the game and am in no hurry to do so due to it's reputation.

Other than that? There's a handful of good character designs - Sticks, Zoey, Perci, Lyric, Cliff, Q-N-C, and Nominatus - but otherwise and in general Boom was the one piece of the franchise I've never cared for. I hoped I would, I liked the trailers for Rise of Lyric promoting a 3-D platformer style that looked closer to the Adventure games than the Boost titles. And when we got our first bit of animation for the series being Sonic vs. Burnbot I was hopeful we were in for a fun kids action adventure series. But the game turned out to be an incredible disappointment to pretty much everyone and the TV series ended up being an unfunny sitcom about characters who were Sonic and Co. in name only, at least to my tastes. Am I sorry the sub-series is gone? I suppose I'm sorry for those did enjoy it, its existence didn't frustrate me or anything past that I wished something else was in its place. But I'm not going to miss it like say Sonic X or the Archie comics, that's for sure.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Celestia said:

and Sticks, who I don't even hate but I'm shocked is being mentioned in so many posts here.

Well I mean, she is basically exclusively to Boom, and seems quite likely we may never see her for a long time. She's basically in Sega purgatory with the likes of other TV exclusive characters like Sonia, Mania, Chris Thorndyke etc. This is basically the offical goodbye. Think the only chance of her coming back in the short term would be in the IDW book, but it wouldn't surprise me if Flynn gets rebuffed by Sega on it.

I like Sticks, I'm not sure I love her, but she is funny and endearing. And like so many other Sonic characters, I would want her to exist in the main canon, even if just as a very small side character, rather than see her basically never come back again.

On the whole, the Boom franchise was a dud.

The TV series was well written though, and Tails strangely managed to stay more in-character in that show than in the Pontaff-games.

Nah, I'm not that surprised by the Sticks love, sure the jokes can come off as annoying to some people. But remember the fandom loves the cast and characters who show potential, I mean, they see potential in Cream who is barely seen nowadays, she barely ever did anything besides being cute little girl, Mighty & Ray and all the characters that were scrapped, there was also appeal for Big while he was "retired". Of course, we see the wasted potential in almost everyone. And Sticks is just THAT adorable, as well as criminally underused.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really loved Amy's personality in this series. Kind and compassionate, peppy and cheerful, calm and levelheaded, bossy and temperamental, and of course completely smitten with Sonic but not a Yandere either, Boom Amy to me was the ideal composite Amy, fusing all her different character traits into a well-balanced, well-rounded version of her who wasn't annoying, psychotic, helpless or generic. I loved how she got along with not just Sonic, but the rest of the cast as well, even Eggman and his minions at times. And yet she didn't feel like a stand-in for the likes of Sally either, and retained her identity. One of the best versions of Amy IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1

I pretty much liked all of it. It was the first Sonic show to actually be funny. That's not nothing.

• Thumbs Up 1

The self- aware comedy was just fantastic across the show and the games. 

I hope that Sonic Team look back on this aspect and sprinkle some of that into future titles. Colours did it a tiny bit but Boom took it further. Just brilliant.

1 hour ago, Thigolf said:

A lot of things I enjoyed about the show were mentioned in this thread already, but I really want to delve a little deeper into one particular aspect.

450?cb=20181129214511

Him.

Boom Tails is, by far, my favorite interpretation of Tails. 

First of all, strictly design-wise, I just love the goggles. They go so well with him. I could leave or take the belt, but I LOVE those googles. I feel like they add a ton to him, as simple as they are.

As many design choices in Boom, this was made to really drive home the "He's a tech guy!" shtick, but luckily, writing-wise, he's far from that. Tails got pushed more and more into a "He's the inventor!" niche over the course of the franchise, starting out as a mere pilot for Sonic, before building mechs and weapons for him to use in action in games like Tails Adventure or Adventure 2, until he finally was JUST the tech guy, completely abandoning every bit of pro-activeness he ever had, letting Sonic or other characters basically do everything. Boom ditches that and brings him back to a more Adventure-y Tails, while still putting a bit more of a focus to the tech-guy angle, but to an organic, natural degree that completely makes sense for his character.
Tails can fight in Boom, for sure, but he does it his way. A lot of fight scenes that involve him let him use gadgets he built beforehand, but he often also uses his environment and objects around him to his advantage. He's not a brute force battler like Sonic, Amy or Knuckles are, because she shouldn't be. He uses his intellect to his advantage, either by preparing beforehand, or using what's disposable at the moment with the most efficiency. It's a great way of fighting for him that compliments him. That doesn't make him above using brute force, however, if a hit with a wrench gets things done, he'll use that, too. There are even dog fights him him in the Tornado! But there are also battles and situations where he takes more of a backseat approach and lets Sonic or the others handle stuff, taking care of the tech side of things or straight up sitting one out, and that's also completely fine. I never saw Tails as the guy who looks forward to battle and jumps in at every opportunity, that's not who Tails is, never was. But if there is stuff to be done, Tails gets shit done in Boom, in his own, unique, tails-y way, and I think that a wonderful combination that fits him like a glove.

Also here's Tails on a Motobug driving through and crashing other Motobugs. 

image.png.b05811b3bb89f0d37d89b4f514a9e6f0.png

Just look at him. He's a little badass.

I also love just how rounded his personality is. In many games during the 2000s, Tails was just...the nice guy. He stood against Sonic's cockiness, Knuckles' hotheadedness and generally just a lot of characters with attitude as the nice little kid who tried to do his best. And while I still love that Tails, in some games, especially when he wasn't in focus and didn't have an arc going on, he often kinda veered on the bland side. Not annoying or anything, just so much on the nice side that it got a bit boring, basic at times. Then, once Colors rolled around, he got snarkier, giving Sonic some sass back to create more of a sibling-like dynamic, with some arguing that as time went on, it veered way to hard on that side. 
Boom just blended those two eras perfectly. Boom Tails his someone who is kind, compassionate, supportive, everything the more classic Tails would've been, but he can also get fed up and talk back to characters that annoy him and stand up for himself when it's needed. There are plenty of moments when Knuckles says something dumb and Tails remarks it sarcastically, as there are moments, most of the time less tense ones, when he calmly tries to explain things to him or expresses concern when it could go into a harmful territory. Speaking of things established Colors-onward, they kept the wonderful relationship between him and Sonic intact. The dynamic between just oozes the brotherly bond they had in Colors, and you can really feel how deeply they care about eachother. They really feel like siblings not related by blood. It's wonderful and I'm glad they kept it.

To highlight my final point, let me show you a picture of one of my favorite scenes in the entirety of Boom.

latest?cb=20180315232840

Tails getting a Happy Meal Toy.

...no, I am not joking.

Something that Boom has over a lot of interpretations of Tails is just how much of a kid he feels at this. Most of the time, him being the smart tech guy. He's generally calm and highly intelligent, so most of his appearances, like the games, focus on him being...just that. There often even times where he's portrayed as more mature than Sonic. And while I guess that kinda makes sense for a calm, calculating guy over a more impulsive one, most of the time, they seem to forget a tiny detail.
He's eight.
Boom doesn't forget that. Sure, he is often more mature and rational than a lot of the other members of the team, but the show also shows him not knowing how to handle his first crush, for example. And that's what I adore about the scene above. It's such a small moment in the show, but I just love it so much. Tails gets a Happy Meal Toy and he's ecstatic. He's overjoyed to have pen to go with the notebook he got in the other meal. And just seeing Tails in such a situation, letting him be a kid, innocent and full of wonder, was just wonderful to me, and exemplifies an element we see so rarely of him. He's allowed to be childish at times, and that's wonderful. So many interpretations just push him into the "He's intelligent, so he's grown-up emotionally" field which isn't really how it works and is often kinda bland. Boom let's him be irrational, impulsive or even a bit overemotional at times, because that's what kids are, without ever steering away too far from the character traits that have been established for him for decades, never letting him be too bratty. It bears repeating, he's just such a well rounded character, imo.

You probably noticed how I referred to multiple games/eras throughout this , and I think this just encapsulates perfectly why Boom Tails just works so well: He is basically an amalgamation of everything wonderful about Tails, everything people ever liked about Tails. He's still the boy genius he is in the modern era, but kept his ability and willingness to fight from the games up to the Adventure era. He's still kind and gentle, but kept some of the sass from the Colors onwards era without ever going overboard. But he's also a little kid, something a lot of interpretations skip on. And all those elements are wrapped into a perfect little package. 

I always loved Tails. Tails was the first character I picked when I got to play Sonic Advance 3 in an electronic store as a 10 year old, and I adored him ever since. But each version, each incarnation of him that I've been familiar with, brought new elements I loved for him, while, for better or worse, also leaving some traits I also enjoyed behind for a slightly different interpretation.
Boom Tails, a decade after I was introduced to the character, just gave me the Tails with everything I loved about him, the perfect interpretation of a character that hooked me to a franchise that brought me so many friends and enjoyment over the years.

Boom gave me the interpretation of the character that I wanted ever since I saw him as a 10 year old.

Boom has shortcomings. Boom has humor that often doesn't gel with people, Boom is, in my opinion, just straight up mediocre for the majority of season 1 - but I will always, always be grateful for the Tails it gave me. Because it made the little child in me, the little child that still unabashedly adores the Sonic franchise, warts and all, incredibly, unbelievably happy.

Yo you being this excited over tails makes me happy dude. I'm glad you got this

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Yo you being this excited over tails makes me happy dude. I'm glad you got this

Same here.

It's great that most things in this franchise, while seldom perfect, can do somethings for people that can be appreciated or even loved.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Same here.

It's great that most things in this franchise, while seldom perfect, can do somethings for people that can be appreciated or even loved.

Forreal. I can be dour but I want folks to be happy about this thing I like. I hope whatever is instore can make a buncha people happy

• Thumbs Up 1

Yea, Tails definitely got it the best out of all of the characters in Boom. They finally managed to nail down that good mix of niceties, tech savvy, and snarkiness to make him an actual character for once, and it's nice to see after so many years of people fumbling what to do with him.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was about to come in here and say for the 50th time in a row that Boom Tails was and still is my favorite interpretation of the character but holy shit, someone beat me to it this time. Fantastic.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've honestly never been a fan a fan of Tails. Like, he's an important part of the game series, but he's just kind of there and I don't care about him one way or another. I dislike the way he's been used and characterised in recent entries like Forces and Lost World, but those are the strongest opinions I have for the character. 

On reflection, I can definitely say that he was pretty good in Boom. The whole "tech guy" and "genius" aspects of him could be down away with almost entirely IMO but it is what it is. Boom succeeds in making Tails a likeable character where the games constantly fail, and they really didn't have to do much to make him work. He's a child, he's basically Sonic's brother, he wants to be cool and he's smart. I overlook him because I just don't care about him, but Boom gives me a reason to care.