Awoo.

Now that Sonic Boom is now confirmed to be dead, what was your favorite aspects of the sub-series?

Styx_Linoone

Talking purely about Rise of Lyric here, my interest in the show cratered the instant I saw it was gonna be some wacky sitcom.

My favourite part was the promise. It promised a different kind ofstorytelling and multiple playable characters, things that Sonic in 2014 wasn't really known for providing.

But then it came out and sucked and critics made the comparison to Sonic 06 "It has a dark story and you play as his shitty friends, all thats missing is him kissing a human ZOMGROFLMAO!!!"

And then Forces came out, also having a darker story and multiple playable characters, and it also sucked. It just makes me wonder if blocky 2D and "baldy nosehair" are what people assosciate with quality these days.

29 minutes ago, BadBehavior said:

But then it came out and sucked and critics made the comparison to Sonic 06 "It has a dark story and you play as his shitty friends, all thats missing is him kissing a human ZOMGROFLMAO!!!"

And then Forces came out, also having a darker story and multiple playable characters, and it also sucked. It just makes me wonder if blocky 2D and "baldy nosehair" are what people assosciate with quality these days.

This is reaching so far that you're  going to do yourself an injury.

Nobody criticised RoL for a dark story, because it didn't have a dark story in the slightest. It has a plot-role ridden and unfinished story with messy and confusing cutscenes no doubt, but the game didn't take any flack for being dark. The most you could claim on that front was the wonky-ass way that Sonic was beaten by Lyric at one point and got buried in rubble, with it's laughable "yesterday" text setting up a dramatic flashback. It wasn't played as Sonic's death or anything remotely close to that. I also recall criticism being levied at the entire cast for their inane and constant chit-chat, not the "shitty friends". 

Forces sucking harder than a black hole has nothing to do with Boom. Two of its three playable characters were lifted from the highly-praised Generations, and the third was unfortunately one of the few aspects of the game to get generally positive reception, but all of their gameplay styles were rife with uninspired 2D sections. The tone-deaf story went from body odour jokes to "that's why it's called war" to the power of friendship so constantly it's hard to get an angle on what the game was even going for.

Both games suck independently of each other. What people associate with a good game might well vary, but don't act as though either of these games received unfair treatment for being bad. RoL turned out largely different to the TV show in the end. It would appear that whilst Big Red Button was taking the game in one direction, the TV show was being taken in a very different direction by OuiDo. It was only later on in development did the two projects start to follow the same pathm geared more towards the TV show than the game. Personally I agree that RoL showed much more promise in it's story about action and adventure than the TV show did in its largely "slice of life" comedy. 

• Chuckle 1

I find it hilarious that Sticks "won" this topic. It's both perfectly logical and really baffling. I mean she's just a random nonsense lol humor in a character design that doesn't fit conspiracy nut and has no cool powers... but yeah I liked her a lot.

I guess she "wins", because  everything else ranges from really bad to okay. The best elements of Boom aren't exclusive to it.
- Good humor (admittedly Boom cartoon had very unique brand of jokes that I'll miss. Eggman will never gain worry how to defend his trash can or send a mail)
- Great Tails characterization, decent Sonic and Amy (winks for sonamy fans) and refreshing take on dumb Knuckles and harmless villain Eggman.
- Surprisingly dignified take Vector
- Actually really cool Eggman in "Rise of Lyric". I'm serious, he's genuinely kinda awesome. He's  manipulative, learns from mistakes and by end of the game gets awesome shoot at Lyric and achieves his goal. All without ever dropping the goofy part of his character.

All of that you can either from comics, Hesse animation or even some fan works. Sticks was only actual addition to franchise that is somewhat interesting.

Loved Rise of Lyric,

Dislike the tell don't show hiding of Amy's affection toward Sonic in the TV show its absent in all the Boom games,

I will miss Big Red Button the team behind Jak & Daxter.

4 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Loved Rise of Lyric,

Dislike the tell don't show hiding of Amy's affection toward Sonic in the TV show its absent in all the Boom games,

I will miss Big Red Button the team behind Jak & Daxter.

Don't worry, I have a somewhat decent view of '06, not because It's better than Rise of Lyric, but because it told the end of the supposed Adventure era of the series. You are not alone.

21 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I find the lack of Perci or Zooey thus far to be...well, something.

Remember when they were pretty much what everyone was gabbing about? Now it's just appreciation for the show. No real specific characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Remember when they were pretty much what everyone was gabbing about? Now it's just appreciation for the show.

I only because they were "hot and nice," respectively. Yeah.

No real specific characters.

The foq you talkin bout, Badger?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive my predictability, but my favorite aspect of Boom was its portrayal of Dr. Eggman. I mean it when I say this, Boom Eggman is either my favorite depiction of the character or a very close second, rivaled only by the Sonic X comic.

Sonic Boom's version of Dr. Eggman is much less ambitious than his game counterpart. Far from world conquest, he can barely manage menacing a tiny island village. He's not taken too seriously, and is seen more as a nuisance than a major threat.

But you know what? Boom Eggman is living a happy life.

• Boom Eggman has friends. He manages to forge some genuine positive relationships in the series, including - of all characters - longtime foe Amy Rose, over their shared interest in a board game called "Fuzzy Puppies." Eggman also has fairly affable relationships with his other enemies, and is respected and admired by at least some of the island's villagers, like the young Beth the Shrew.

• Boom Eggman has a loving "family." He has a constructed "mother" Mom Bot, and an adopted "brother" Morpho. Together, these three act like and truly treat each other as a family, which is honestly sweet. We've seen other iterations of Eggman with families, but they tended to not get along (Mama Robotnik being abusive, Robotnik betraying his family in Archie, or game Eggman's only known family getting killed by GUN). Boom Eggman is the first one with a healthy, happy family dynamic.

• Boom Eggman has interests outside of his villainy. He's a passionate fan and collector of Fuzzy Puppies. He's an artist, and pursues film-making. He loves to dance! Boom Eggman is not single-mindedly focused on villainy, and has real hobbies and passions beyond conquest and destruction.

• Boom Eggman does truly kind acts, without villainous ulterior motives. Game Eggman sometimes helps Sonic save the world, but it's usually only so he can conquer it later. Boom Eggman has performed unambiguously selfless acts, like going far out of his way to save Beth the Shrew after she accidentally falls into his lair's trash compactor, or helping Tails ask out Zoe, or choosing Amy's friendship over winning a game. This Eggman has a heart, and some of his happiest moments in the show have been when he puts his own selfish desires aside and shows kindness to others.

• He's even won against Sonic. At a dance contest, even!

Boom Eggman may be mocked as a joke villain - and rightfully so. But of all the versions of Eggman/Robotnik in the franchise's long history, he is living the best life. He's found happiness and contentment in a way that his counterparts haven't, and I think that's fantastic.

• Thumbs Up 3

The show was mostly alright, but I would actually say it was getting better as time went on when they actually did start getting into non-episodic plots. I think my preferred episodes of the whole bunch was arguably when Sonic as a character was taken out of his element, namely the one where the townspeople were treating him like crap to the point he decides to quit saving the town, and the one with the machine that made him more self-absorbed and turned him into a villain. Both of which for me were interesting concepts that genuinely got me interested to see how they played it. I'm sure someone can rebut me that these ideas have probably been explored in other Sonic works (the comics, past television shows) but I'm not familiar with most of those at all. And Eggman on the whole was pretty fun, namely with his more casual interactions with the other people in the village and Sonic's team, and how those interactions led to some of his plans that were more petty / personal. All that aside, though--this may come off as mean-spirited, but I'd honestly say the best thing about Boom for me was that I feel the failure of the games (namely RoL) was a major contribution towards bringing the Genesis department back from what was arguably the brink of falling back into irrelevance.

The Boom series was announced on the heels of Sonic 4 having been quietly abandoned and the TaxStealth remasters of the original games ending with the 3&K remaster pitch being rejected (on the eve of that game's 20th anniversary no less). This is on top of Lost World underperforming with all of its classic-era derived surface decor (Green Windy Hill, classic badniks and animals, etc.) and the initial panic around the Boom franchise's announcement that it would be used to replace the entire mainline series before Sega said otherwise. The writing was definitely on the wall if you ask me. I absolutely believe that had the Boom games not flopped as badly as they did, the window of opportunity that was there to get Taxman's Discovery pitch considered would not had been open; and we'd more likely than not be in a timeline where Mania [Plus], Sonic Mega Drive, Mania Adventures, all of it would not exist.

8 minutes ago, Milo said:

the one with the machine that made him more self-absorbed and turned him into a villain.

I honestly don''t remember that one. Must've been smack in an awkward middle of Season 2.

I still havn't seen Season 2, patiently waiting for Netflix UK to add it, or some other streaming service. It's annoying how it seems like kid's TV shows always get such bad DVD releases, and at times, seem hard to access. Not sure if Season 2 has ever made it to the UK in someway.

I like Season 1, loved a few episodes, so will be great to actually watch the other half of the show.

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I honestly don''t remember that one. Must've been smack in an awkward middle of Season 2.

I can't recall which season it's in (maybe the second season) or the title of the episode, but yeah it was something where they found an ancient mech suit that has special powers. Sonic claimed it and used it for fighting enemies, but staying in it over time causes his ego / attitude to take over hard and he starts causing problems. IIRC they actually have to go to Eggman find the machine's weakness and set up a plan for to get Sonic out of the mech suit and bring him back to normal.

7 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Forgive my predictability, but my favorite aspect of Boom was its portrayal of Dr. Eggman. I mean it when I say this, Boom Eggman is either my favorite depiction of the character or a very close second, rivaled only by the Sonic X comic.

Sonic Boom's version of Dr. Eggman is much less ambitious than his game counterpart. Far from world conquest, he can barely manage menacing a tiny island village. He's not taken too seriously, and is seen more as a nuisance than a major threat.

But you know what? Boom Eggman is living a happy life.

• Boom Eggman has friends. He manages to forge some genuine positive relationships in the series, including - of all characters - longtime foe Amy Rose, over their shared interest in a board game called "Fuzzy Puppies." Eggman also has fairly affable relationships with his other enemies, and is respected and admired by at least some of the island's villagers, like the young Beth the Shrew.

• Boom Eggman has a loving "family." He has a constructed "mother" Mom Bot, and an adopted "brother" Morpho. Together, these three act like and truly treat each other as a family, which is honestly sweet. We've seen other iterations of Eggman with families, but they tended to not get along (Mama Robotnik being abusive, Robotnik betraying his family in Archie, or game Eggman's only known family getting killed by GUN). Boom Eggman is the first one with a healthy, happy family dynamic.

• Boom Eggman has interests outside of his villainy. He's a passionate fan and collector of Fuzzy Puppies. He's an artist, and pursues film-making. He loves to dance! Boom Eggman is not single-mindedly focused on villainy, and has real hobbies and passions beyond conquest and destruction.

• Boom Eggman does truly kind acts, without villainous ulterior motives. Game Eggman sometimes helps Sonic save the world, but it's usually only so he can conquer it later. Boom Eggman has performed unambiguously selfless acts, like going far out of his way to save Beth the Shrew after she accidentally falls into his lair's trash compactor, or helping Tails ask out Zoe, or choosing Amy's friendship over winning a game. This Eggman has a heart, and some of his happiest moments in the show have been when he puts his own selfish desires aside and shows kindness to others.

• He's even won against Sonic. At a dance contest, even!

Boom Eggman may be mocked as a joke villain - and rightfully so. But of all the versions of Eggman/Robotnik in the franchise's long history, he is living the best life. He's found happiness and contentment in a way that his counterparts haven't, and I think that's fantastic.

I think what made Boom Eggman great was that he had CHEMISTRY with the rest of the cast. I think one thing that helps even the most pathetic villain is a depthful dynamic with the heroes. Even a competent villain can still seem unremarkable if everyone stonewalls their actions and character. I think that's ultimately why X Eggman felt pathetic even when he upped his threat levels, he could not faze Sonic as a person thus he always seemed doomed from the beginning.

I love how, in spite of his poor threat level, Boom Eggman is still a master troll and manipulator, he's good at making the heroes complacent or exploiting their flaws. Designated Heroes shows he can easily one up each and every one of them just by playing on their ego and defects. Eggman the Auteur shows how he can slowly grind down on Sonic into doing EVERYTHING that he wants without knowing, even if that everything is ultimately a poorly thought out scheme. But hey he can still sit down and enjoy the vanity piece he made as a result of it.

He was also an opportunistic little bugger. While his actual routine fights against Sonic were pretty mundane, he never felt repetitive or automated, he always had something amusing to contribute to whatever situation occurred, even if it was something distinctly un-villainous like giving Tails dating tips to relieve himself of the 'train wreck' of him trying blindly to woo a girl.

I find it a shame they don't do more of this in other medias, tricking Knuckles and maybe making Sonic overconfident is as far as gets. It makes the heroes feel broader when they have a villain that, while never DEFEATING them out right, can still play on all their weak spots and quirks as characters who triumph despite being uniquely fallible beings.

I also love how Sonic's rivalry with Eggman has become something like a key component in his life, and in one case Eggman briefly retires he becomes bored and restless and without any sort of ambition.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Milo said:

I can't recall which season it's in (maybe the second season) or the title of the episode, but yeah it was something where they found an ancient mech suit that has special powers. Sonic claimed it and used it for fighting enemies, but staying in it over time causes his ego / attitude to take over hard and he starts causing problems. IIRC they actually have to go to Eggman find the machine's weakness and set up a plan for to get Sonic out of the mech suit and bring him back to normal.

Oooh, that thing from the Ancients! Yeah, that was in Season 2.

It was found in what was seemingly Shadow's cave, evidently.

The cartoon as a whole, easily. It was so amusing to watch. Sadly, even if Rise of Lyric did better, I feel that Cartoon Network's incompetence would've doomed the show anyway. I think SEGA would've put more effort into saving it though, maybe enabling the cartoon to go for a season longer than it actually did. Cartoon Network clearly didn't care for the show, good Boom games or not. But there's no doubt in my mind that the Boom branch would still be around today if Rise of Lyric was actually a good game. That game is 100% to blame for the decline of the Sonic Boom branch.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/28/2020 at 5:14 PM, DabigRG said:

I find the lack of Perci or Zooey thus far to be...well, something.

Yeah if I have one complaint about Boom it is that they didn't do anything with them. Which sucks because Perci could have been a Sixth Ranger like she was originally planned to be. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Yeah if I have one complaint about Boom it is that they didn't do anything with them. Which sucks because Perci could have been a Sixth Ranger like she was originally planned to be. 

I do understand the root of that, even if I never personally vied for official clarification over educated observation: as confirmed by Bill Frieburger in a tweet, she was created for Rise of Lyric as a major character before the merging of the game and cartoon forced the developers to cut/alter a lot of its content to accommodate some aspects of the TVshow. And because she was to be a major character originally, SEGA likely instructed his crew to put her in the cartoon early on despite there ultimately being little of the same context there  to work with.

After all, Rise of Lyric not turning out well saw Sega do early damage control by not releasing review copies and later putting an embargo on Lyric himself down to not wanting him in Worlds Unite & removing his profile for the official website. But the cartoon itself already had minimal plans to involve that stuff anyway, so beyond working in the Main cast's action adventure designs, Perci(and not the more prevalent Cliff or QNC), mentions of the Ancients, and eventually a few other NPCs (albeit with different personalities/names), there's little cohesion between the two mediums to truly take advantage of. Perci's original purpose in the earlier build and even her mission in the final product of the game relied on a legacy protecting the island from Lyric, so what the heck is she supposed to do when her family's towers don't fit with the show's setting and there's nary a skin of Lyric to take a stand against? 

So the show's crew were stuck with a character they didn't create, who's overall design didn't fit with most of the side characters, with a personality/credibility that doesn't quite work in a sitcom tone, and background that just straight up wasn't allowed anymore. I recall doing a extensive post or two delving into this, but it's no wonder both her one relevant episode and the show as a whole handled her the way it did.

Edit: Here it is.

On 9/27/2017 at 8:35 PM, DabigRG said:

Wanna talk a little more on this topic now that I've had time to think.

• I noticed we haven't really seen Comedy Chimp that much recently. He might not be the most conventional Sonic character, but he really felt like he was part of the show after a while; I actually miss the guy. Though that one tweet a few pages back doesn't exactly bode well for that notion.

• Next is the obvious character that everyone seems to like for one reason or another, Perci [Orthos] the Bandicoot. Now she is a particularly tricky example of this since she was originally created as a major character for Rise of Lyric, where her family was apparently in charge of watching over and protecting the island from villains like Lyric for generations until Team Sonic showed up(with Eggman and Metal in tow) and freed him; she was even apparently gonna be playable at one point if an <strike>unused</strike> line from Amy is any indication. And for a good while, she was one of the only characters to show up in the show proper as a background character. 
  • Now I'm gonna be honest: I think part of the reason they've been so dodgy about using her character throughout the essentially-3-in-2-seasons is precisely because of her connections to that game. It's telling that even though she was a significant feature in Fire in a Crowded Workshop, very little of it actually represented her properly due to the Rashomon-like setup and instead most of her screentime is in Sonic, Knuckles, and Amy's biased/exaggerated views of her. And considering the show barely even acknowledges (let alone syncs up with) that particular game, right down to Lyric himself being very absent(possibly due to some weird red tape) despite the Ancients being brought up on occasion, that likely takes away a major aspect behind her character's original purpose(s). It's also worth noting that much like Shadow and especially Lyric himself,  she's a bit out of theme/place in a primarily snarky and lampshading comedy show with some action-adventure elements on the side.
  • So while I wouldn't mind the show getting more mileage out of one of the [comparatively] more notable and popular characters from Rise of Lyric, I don't just see much happening with her either way.

• Another odd little thing I think would be a little neat is if the show got a little more mileage out of the Gogobas. Much like the Weasel Bandits, The Chief has thus far shown up repeatedly in Hedgehog Village despite being, you know, the Chief and being a character that originally resided outside of the usual setting; meanwhile, the actual Tribes-Chinchillas(who incidentally look nothing like Thunderbolt) haven't been seen much at all. At the very least, I think it would be neat if they introduced another distinct Gogoba character to use on occasion. And with Mr. Ian Flynn's Og in mind, this one could perhaps be the Black Sheep of the Village: either simply being less of a downer/complainer than the others or even being a straightforward jerk.

• And unless I'm forgetting something(which at this point is admittedly easy to do), I don't think we've had a Knuckles and Sticks episode yet--in fact, their dynamic is something I can't really say I know off the top of my head. One of the things I really liked about Sticks is that she kinda feels like she was partly designed/written to have some sort of contrast with each of the Sega characters while still very much being her own thing for the Boom series to have fun with. In this case, her feral origins and paranoid assertions seem like it could make for a hilarious/awesome combo with Knuckles own origins and somewhat gullible nature; and while I realize Boom!Knuckles is different enough from the main series version to make this dynamic a little skewed, he's also debatably the most recognizable/popular and hilarious of the main cast. So it's really odd that I don't recall them interacting that much.

Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I liked the world of Boom. It seemed like a very adventure-friendly place with all matter of new things to discover and interesting places to explore. The existence of the Ancients and the things they left behind was a big part of that, even in the TV show (sometimes). Speaking of, I absolutely loved the cartoon's sense of humor. The onslaught of meta-jokes had me laughing pretty hard, the references to Sonic history were nice, and the writing was (almost) always clever and enjoyable. It was good seeing the characters interact amongst each other, have fun off the clock, and occasionally drive each other nuts, but ultimately come together and save the day as a tight-knit team of friends who consider themselves a family. Also, despite them being kind of limited, I did enjoy a few of the show's action scenes (especially in season 2, where they upped their game) and appreciated that they were fine with making the whole thing an action-sitcom, which I don't think there are too many of, animated or otherwise.

Plus, I enjoyed when they cranked up the continuity a bit in season 2. It kind of felt like the world was advancing in small ways, despite almost none of the episodes directly following from the other. Call-backs and nods to past episodes always felt good to see as someone who watched the show from the very beginning. What makes me sad is we won't see any of the stuff introduced in or moved to the show in season 2 get really put through its paces in a third season (D-Fekt going neutral, Roboken being a regular location, Team Cybonic, etc.). So much potential, so many more awesome moments, so many more gutbusting jokes and fun adventures that we'll never get to experience. I just wish things had gone better for the Boom brand in general and this show had gotten the treatment I feel it deserved.

20 hours ago, Milo said:

Let me help you out with that. The episode's titled "Mech Suits Me", and it is indeed from season 2.

In relation to this, I wanted to see more out of Sonic's Mech Suit, in particular. For crying out loud, the thing was friggin' cool to see in action, and it only got any real use in two episodes! Two!

I loved how it had very little regard for 4th wall breaking. The humour was absolutely on form all the time and beautifully written.

On a side note, I hope the second season gets a DVD release at some point.

• And unless I'm forgetting something(which at this point is admittedly easy to do), I don't think we've had a Knuckles and Sticks episode yet--in fact, their dynamic is something I can't really say I know off the top of my head. One of the things I really liked about Sticks is that she kinda feels like she was partly designed/written to have some sort of contrast with each of the Sega characters while still very much being her own thing for the Boom series to have fun with. In this case, her feral origins and paranoid assertions seem like it could make for a hilarious/awesome combo with Knuckles own origins and somewhat gullible nature; and while I realize Boom!Knuckles is different enough from the main series version to make this dynamic a little skewed, he's also debatably the most recognizable/popular and hilarious of the main cast. So it's really odd that I don't recall them interacting that much.

Knuckles and Sticks would have been interesting but then again, I don't remember Sticks really doing a lot with anyone besides Amy. They seemed to start signs of a 'nature vs technology' type feuding between her and Tails (which seemed a pretty logical dynamic to happen) but again it didn't really last  I think since Sticks was primarily a supporting character (even in her own episodes a lot of the time) we didn't get a lot of introspective of her with the others. She just shot her shit and then was gone. Usually Knuckles did too, but he at least got more POV episodes and some interaction focused gags like his rivalry with Sonic, while Sticks was kind of self contained most of the time.

• Another odd little thing I think would be a little neat is if the show got a little more mileage out of the Gogobas. Much like the Weasel Bandits, The Chief has thus far shown up repeatedly in Hedgehog Village despite being, you know, the Chief and being a character that originally resided outside of the usual setting; meanwhile, the actual Tribes-Chinchillas(who incidentally look nothing like Thunderbolt) haven't been seen much at all. At the very least, I think it would be neat if they introduced another distinct Gogoba character to use on occasion. And with Mr. Ian Flynn's Og in mind, this one could perhaps be the Black Sheep of the Village: either simply being less of a downer/complainer than the others or even being a straightforward jerk.

The Gogobas were interesting since they were a concept that were manipulative enough to make Sonic his bitch just by playing on his biggest opening; his altruism. Granted I think the problem is that most of the time the Gogobas appeared they were Karma Houdinis to demonstrate this, which would have been an infuriating presence done in excess. Thinking up the next step in their role; how Sonic could work around them and genuinely outdo them besides just distracting them with someone else would have been interesting to see, but I'm not sure how it could be done. Again their characterisation is based on the knowledge Sonic CAN'T be unheroic against their leeching.

On 6/8/2020 at 1:28 PM, SonicWind said:

Plus, I enjoyed when they cranked up the continuity a bit in season 2. It kind of felt like the world was advancing in small ways, despite almost none of the episodes directly following from the other. Call-backs and nods to past episodes always felt good to see as someone who watched the show from the very beginning.

There were things like Dave the Intern and Charlie becoming a villain, but yeah.

What makes me sad is we won't see any of the stuff introduced in or moved to the show in season 2 get really put through its paces in a third season ( Team Cybonic, etc.).

What were they about again?

Let me help you out with that. The episode's titled "Mech Suits Me", and it is indeed from season 2.

In relation to this, I wanted to see more out of Sonic's Mech Suit, in particular. For crying out loud, the thing was friggin' cool to see in action, and it only got any real use in two episodes! Two!

Kinda surprised that episode happened, for some reason.

On 6/8/2020 at 9:48 PM, E-122-Psi said:

Knuckles and Sticks would have been interesting but then again, I don't remember Sticks really doing a lot with anyone besides Amy. They seemed to start signs of a 'nature vs technology' type feuding between her and Tails (which seemed a pretty logical dynamic to happen) but again it didn't really last  I think since Sticks was primarily a supporting character (even in her own episodes a lot of the time) we didn't get a lot of introspective of her with the others. She just shot her shit and then was gone. Usually Knuckles did too, but he at least got more POV episodes and some interaction focused gags like his rivalry with Sonic, while Sticks was kind of self contained most of the time.

The Gogobas were interesting since they were a concept that were manipulative enough to make Sonic his bitch just by playing on his biggest opening; his altruism. Granted I think the problem is that most of the time the Gogobas appeared they were Karma Houdinis to demonstrate this, which would have been an infuriating presence done in excess. Thinking up the next step in their role; how Sonic could work around them and genuinely outdo them besides just distracting them with someone else would have been interesting to see, but I'm not sure how it could be done. Again their characterisation is based on the knowledge Sonic CAN'T be unheroic against their leeching.

I honestly forgot to remove that stuff from the post, but whatever. More to potentially think about, I guess.

Knuckles and Sticks would have been interesting but then again, I don't remember Sticks really doing a lot with anyone besides Amy.

A bit of a shame. And an oddity, considering the similarities among them.

The fact that she seemed to be particularly aggressive towards Knuckles at times was an peculiar recurring thing that probably they could've potentially drawn off of as well.

They seemed to start signs of a 'nature vs technology' type feuding between her and Tails (which seemed a pretty logical dynamic to happen) but again it didn't really last 

Oh yeah, that did happen.  A bit surprising they didn't go full on with that in an episode.

She also had shockingly few interactions with Eggman, now that think of it.

I think since Sticks was primarily a supporting character (even in her own episodes a lot of the time) we didn't get a lot of introspective of her with the others. She just shot her shit and then was gone. Usually Knuckles did too, but he at least got more POV episodes and some interaction focused gags like his rivalry with Sonic, while Sticks was kind of self contained most of the time.

I do seem to recall a number of her episodes being like that.

Boom really did do some unconventional ideas that the games would be loathe to entertain most of the time.

I noticed the mild continuity as well. Boom writers said each episode was self contained so it was sort of cool they did still sneak in some subtle ongoing plots while still keeping each episode watchable standalone, like all the sub-villains being established and banding together to make the Lightning Bolts and eventually teaming up with Eggman for one big 'not so harmless' face off for the Season One finale.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved Boom for everything that it was. It was all really funny to me and just generally a big comfort show for me to watch, it always makes me happy.

Even if the plots are simple, they were still great (for the most part) and I got a lot of enjoyment from it!

One of the biggest things that I loved and will definately miss about the series are exclusive characters that we will probably never see again, and a few of them are personal favorites of mine. Specific ones that come to mind for me are Sticks (she's really the only one that has a chance), Dave, Barker, and Charlie, though of course there are others.

Makes me sad that they most likely will not be seen again and that the show won't be able to reach it's full potential now that it's over.