Sign in to follow this  
Styx_Linoone

Now that Sonic Boom is now confirmed to be dead, what was your favorite aspects of the sub-series?

Talking purely about Rise of Lyric here, my interest in the show cratered the instant I saw it was gonna be some wacky sitcom.

My favourite part was the promise. It promised a different kind ofstorytelling and multiple playable characters, things that Sonic in 2014 wasn't really known for providing.

But then it came out and sucked and critics made the comparison to Sonic 06 "It has a dark story and you play as his shitty friends, all thats missing is him kissing a human ZOMGROFLMAO!!!"

And then Forces came out, also having a darker story and multiple playable characters, and it also sucked. It just makes me wonder if blocky 2D and "baldy nosehair" are what people assosciate with quality these days.

29 minutes ago, BadBehavior said:

But then it came out and sucked and critics made the comparison to Sonic 06 "It has a dark story and you play as his shitty friends, all thats missing is him kissing a human ZOMGROFLMAO!!!"

And then Forces came out, also having a darker story and multiple playable characters, and it also sucked. It just makes me wonder if blocky 2D and "baldy nosehair" are what people assosciate with quality these days.

This is reaching so far that you're  going to do yourself an injury.

Nobody criticised RoL for a dark story, because it didn't have a dark story in the slightest. It has a plot-role ridden and unfinished story with messy and confusing cutscenes no doubt, but the game didn't take any flack for being dark. The most you could claim on that front was the wonky-ass way that Sonic was beaten by Lyric at one point and got buried in rubble, with it's laughable "yesterday" text setting up a dramatic flashback. It wasn't played as Sonic's death or anything remotely close to that. I also recall criticism being levied at the entire cast for their inane and constant chit-chat, not the "shitty friends". 

Forces sucking harder than a black hole has nothing to do with Boom. Two of its three playable characters were lifted from the highly-praised Generations, and the third was unfortunately one of the few aspects of the game to get generally positive reception, but all of their gameplay styles were rife with uninspired 2D sections. The tone-deaf story went from body odour jokes to "that's why it's called war" to the power of friendship so constantly it's hard to get an angle on what the game was even going for.

Both games suck independently of each other. What people associate with a good game might well vary, but don't act as though either of these games received unfair treatment for being bad. RoL turned out largely different to the TV show in the end. It would appear that whilst Big Red Button was taking the game in one direction, the TV show was being taken in a very different direction by OuiDo. It was only later on in development did the two projects start to follow the same pathm geared more towards the TV show than the game. Personally I agree that RoL showed much more promise in it's story about action and adventure than the TV show did in its largely "slice of life" comedy. 

I find it hilarious that Sticks "won" this topic. It's both perfectly logical and really baffling. I mean she's just a random nonsense lol humor in a character design that doesn't fit conspiracy nut and has no cool powers... but yeah I liked her a lot.

I guess she "wins", because  everything else ranges from really bad to okay. The best elements of Boom aren't exclusive to it.
- Good humor (admittedly Boom cartoon had very unique brand of jokes that I'll miss. Eggman will never gain worry how to defend his trash can or send a mail)
- Great Tails characterization, decent Sonic and Amy (winks for sonamy fans) and refreshing take on dumb Knuckles and harmless villain Eggman.
- Surprisingly dignified take Vector
- Actually really cool Eggman in "Rise of Lyric". I'm serious, he's genuinely kinda awesome. He's  manipulative, learns from mistakes and by end of the game gets awesome shoot at Lyric and achieves his goal. All without ever dropping the goofy part of his character.

All of that you can either from comics, Hesse animation or even some fan works. Sticks was only actual addition to franchise that is somewhat interesting.

4 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Loved Rise of Lyric,

Dislike the tell don't show hiding of Amy's affection toward Sonic in the TV show its absent in all the Boom games,

I will miss Big Red Button the team behind Jak & Daxter.

Don't worry, I have a somewhat decent view of '06, not because It's better than Rise of Lyric, but because it told the end of the supposed Adventure era of the series. You are not alone.

21 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I find the lack of Perci or Zooey thus far to be...well, something.

Remember when they were pretty much what everyone was gabbing about? Now it's just appreciation for the show. No real specific characters.

5 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Remember when they were pretty much what everyone was gabbing about? Now it's just appreciation for the show.

I only because they were "hot and nice," respectively. Yeah.

No real specific characters.

The foq you talkin bout, Badger?