Awoo.

Lofi / Chillhop / Funk Sonic Remixes (Mostly Classic Sonic)

mundiaxis

Hello, I'm interested in creating some relaxing tunes based off my personal favorites from Sonic CD and other games.

While I've played with music off and on for years, I've never shared anything for larger groups so I would love your honest feedback.  (Seriously, more honest the better).

Here is a concept for a Tidal Tempest.  Due to many of the low notes, using headphones or speakers are ideal.  If you enjoy, please let me know and I'll definitely finish this one.  If you'd also like for me to make more in general, I'll post those here for the future. 🙂

EDIT:  Replaced what I had before with a new one.  This one has being an underwater feel, versus hearing rain in the beginning.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't think I know enough about music to give much detailed advice, but I'm definitely intrigued by the concept and interested to see where you go with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I don't think I know enough about music to give much detailed advice, but I'm definitely intrigued by the concept and interested to see where you go with it.

No worries, I appreciate you sharing how you feel on it regardless!  That's perfect feedback. It's super helpful to know for me.

One edit I'm looking to make is replacing the rain with something else watery, as it definitely doesn't rain in Tidal Tempest lol.  (EDIT: Just made the edit).

I don't know anything about music, but I like what I heard. I like how the drops of water make the Tidal Tempest theme, it add atmosphere while at the same time contributing to the melody. It's like a subdued version of something that Study Girl would listen to. I noticed that the song doesn't seem to have a proper ending, that's not necessarily a bad thing. It makes me feel like this was music from an actual game, the end is where the song would loop. If you wanted a more proper ending, I'd suggest something like the ending to Sonic Stream (Caution: loud music) in the Sonic the Hedgehog - Remix album.  Maybe you could stop the instruments and focus on just the sounds of the of the water moving and the melody of the water drops for a bit, or maybe just have the sound of everything slowly disappear as you descend deeper and deeper underneath the water.

I don't have a Youtube account, but if I did I would give it a like. Good job!

11 hours ago, Plumbers_Helper said:

I don't know anything about music, but I like what I heard. I like how the drops of water make the Tidal Tempest theme, it add atmosphere while at the same time contributing to the melody. It's like a subdued version of something that Study Girl would listen to. I noticed that the song doesn't seem to have a proper ending, that's not necessarily a bad thing. It makes me feel like this was music from an actual game, the end is where the song would loop. If you wanted a more proper ending, I'd suggest something like the ending to Sonic Stream (Caution: loud music) in the Sonic the Hedgehog - Remix album.  Maybe you could stop the instruments and focus on just the sounds of the of the water moving and the melody of the water drops for a bit, or maybe just have the sound of everything slowly disappear as you descend deeper and deeper underneath the water.

I don't have a Youtube account, but if I did I would give it a like. Good job!

Thank you for taking the time to listen and provide very helpful feedback!  I've played bass and been in music off and on for awhile, and this is honestly my first time actually composing music so I appreciate you mentioning the ending piece.  From the feedback I've gotten so far in other places, it looks like I'm going to study more with arranging music as I don't know what to keep in mind for starting a song, ending a song, and other similar items.

Thanks for posting a link to for an example of ending a song, that makes it a lot easier to apply the feedback for future songs.

I personally thought you did a good job with the opening of this song. It eases you in, setting the tone and mood of the song. It slowly builds up and right before it cuts to above the water, the bubble sound effect helps draw more attention to the music without taking a way from what has been built up, while at the same time providing a transition from the underwater style to the above water style. It flows well enough without being jarring or out of place.

I don't know what counts as "sophisticated" or not in music, but I thought you did a good job for your first time! Feel free to share more if you want, whether it's Sonic related or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all so much for taking the time to provide me your honest thoughts.  It has motivated me to continue creating more, and I look forward to the possibility of having many Sonic CD tracks remixed for us all to relax with. Here's a new one!  Please let me know if you enjoy.

• Thumbs Up 3

Made another tune during Father's day weekend.  This isn't Sonic CD, it's from Sonic Mega Collection.  Let me know if you enjoyed!

• Thumbs Up 1

This is the sort of music I could fall asleep to, very relaxing thank you. I enjoyed the echo of the tidal tempest, though the bubble sfx you used for percussion at the beginning jump scared me lol. 

Your mega collection remix sounds like it should be in gems collection

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to attempt to make a chill Flying Battery Zone.  That level is so high speed and intense, as I was making it I wasn't sure if it'd turn into anything.  Then something started emerging as I was playing around with sounds.   Let me know if you like!

• Thumbs Up 1

these are so very incredible and combine together in magical ways (each new one makes all of the others even better)!!

Thank you for creating and bringing them here!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, expansivelovestories said:

these are so very incredible and combine together in magical ways (each new one makes all of the others even better)!!

Thank you for creating and bringing them here!! 

Thank you for the compliment, I'm happy you like them. I hope to continue this, your positive energy makes it easier.  I don't want to tire out.

• Thumbs Up 1

That is one of the two songs i was wondering about requesting!!!   

Something i am loving about your ways of recreating the music is that they could still be played during the original zone and fit! 

There are many special remixes that, to accomplish what they do musically, disconnect from the visual and spatial moods of the places; or from the overall mood of 2D Sonic.  Yours all feel very connected and compatible with the original world!! 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, expansivelovestories said:

That is one of the two songs i was wondering about requesting!!!   

Something i am loving about your ways of recreating the music is that they could still be played during the original zone and fit! 

There are many special remixes that, to accomplish what they do musically, disconnect from the visual and spatial moods of the places; or from the overall mood of 2D Sonic.  Yours all feel very connected and compatible with the original world!! 

I'm happy you mentioned this, thank you!  I try to be as emotionally connected as I can to how the songs make me feel. What songs are you interested in having remixed with a lo-fi twist?

No promises I'll get to it as I'm mostly interested in the songs that I feel connected with from a harmony standpoint. I love a lot of the basslines from the classic titles, which makes sense as a lot of the composers appear to be bassists themselves. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, i am more excited to find out which songs you choose!! 

The one idea i can think of, which is not a request because you have just visited the Sonic 3 freerun zones, is that the lead instrument parts in Azure Lake seem like they would be compatible with your bass playing style! 

• Thumbs Up 1

This one is like discovering your project again for the first time!!  The depth of the production is really inspiring; also it makes clearer than ever that you are very intuitive about finding what tempo will allow the ideal groove for each one!!

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY, I've been wanting to do Launch Base Zone for a while.  I really wanted to emphasize its hip hop nature and, my favorite, more bass.  I think this is more chillhop than lofi ... I have no idea, eitherway here it is.

Let me know if you like!  

• Thumbs Up 1

This is another one i was hoping you might do some day and it is much deeper than i could have dreamed!!  There is something about the original song that managed to emphasize that the momentum was on Sonic and Tails' side for once, that even going into a near-final confrontation, that they are prepared for all of the potentially huge challenges.  Your new version adds so much to that energy!  it feels like it could soundtrack an animated version of Sonic and Tails working their way through the area!!  Where did you find that artwork?? : )  

• 1 month later...

Almost a month since the last Sonic remix I've done -- time to change that!  This is a faster paced song.  Originally it was going to be another slower paced tune, but I just prefer how it sounds at a faster beat.  This may be my most funkiest sound yet as it's a Funk Remix to Death Egg Zone!  

It was a fun experiment.  Let me know if you enjoy!

• Thumbs Up 1

this is officially my favorite project of reinvented Sonic music!!  (Also the Hydrocity version made by your friend had many elements i had always wished to hear but wasn't sure who to ask!)

You are able to make each song feel newer and more alive than ever, while fully giving homage to how deeply inventive the original melodies and rhythms are!

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, expansivelovestories said:

this is officially my favorite project of reinvented Sonic music!!  (Also the Hydrocity version made by your friend had many elements i had always wished to hear but wasn't sure who to ask!)

You are able to make each song feel newer and more alive than ever, while fully giving homage to how deeply inventive the original melodies and rhythms are!

I'm really happy you like them! It makes my day to see your comments. I definitely enjoy making them and have no plans on stopping.

• Thumbs Up 1