Awoo.

"Revolutionary" Announcement related to SEGA coming on June 4th

DiamondX

The Famitsu issue coming on June 4th was confirmed to have something that ''will rile up the game industry".  Zenji Nishikawa mentioned it's something related to SEGA, but he said it's not a Dreamcast 2.

What do you guys expect this announcement to be?

I’m really hoping it’s not a confirmation of that one rumor from a few months back about Sega becoming Microsoft exclusive.

What I'm hoping is that we ignore this "news" until they actually give us any kind of information.

It's my pet peeve. When people tell me "get exited without any reason" my response is middle finger.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

21 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I’m really hoping it’s not a confirmation of that one rumor from a few months back about Sega becoming Microsoft exclusive.

Read this or watch this:

In short, no it's not happening.

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Read this or watch this:

In short, no it's not happening.

And Thank God for that, I was really worried this would be the announcement.

"We ran out of money so it's best if we become Microsoft exclusive" it would have been a shitty 60th anniversary reveal.

very interesting. I honestly doubt that it is new SEGA hardware..but given it's their 60th anniversary on june 3rd everything could be happening. I'm getting a little bit excited here.

What if..what if it is Blast Processing 2.0?

Anything that is new in the console market is considered revolutionary. The Wii, Switch, PSVR, any console that did next gen first such as the Dreamcast for being the first 128-bit console. 

In that sense, what can Sega do that has yet to be done, especially without having the same kind of funds (unless partnered with an unknown)?

VR (both home and portable), glasses free 3D games, motion controls, portable modern console, game streaming, augmented reality, PS5/Xbox Series X qulaity console games, amiibo style toys = all out the window. 

What's the next revolutionary step for gaming that would rile people up? 

Maybe some sort of wearable tech/every day use tech that is different enough from a mobile phone/smart watch to carry?

6 hours ago, KHCast said:

This rumour scares me and if this IS the announcement I will sob. 

It's difficult to imagine Sega releasing new consoles because the company has grown steadily since it became a third party publisher and developer, but, the new campaign about Sega's 60th really gives a little hope. Have you guys seen? The journalist said the new Sega announcement will be as big as the PS5. I can't imagine anything but a new hardware or platform.

It takes a lot to launch new hardware now, much moreso than it did back when they were still in that market. There's no way I could see SEGA in their current state having the wherewithal to do that.

Anyway, new Alex Kidd, let's go.

Edit: Actually, if it's anything related to hardware, I bet it'd be a Dreamcast Classic.

41 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

It takes a lot to launch new hardware now, much moreso than it did back when they were still in that market. There's no way I could see SEGA in their current state having the wherewithal to do that.

Anyway, new Alex Kidd, let's go.

Sega is bigger now than it used to be. Actually, it's easier and cheaper to make new hardware nowadays. We couldn't see Sega launching new hardware now because they are fine being a softhouse and launching a new console would be a big risk, but they have money enough to do it. I just don't know if it's a interesting business decision for them.

SEGA's net worth is less than half of Xbox's, Sony has about 12 billion on them too, and both those companies sold their current gen consoles at a loss. It's not going to be competitive hardware regardless of how well they're doing as a software house. It's just not viable.

Edit: Unless you mean like what Nintendo is doing where they put together a tablet and call it a day. In which case, yeah, sure. Maybe they could.

Pleeeeease don't let it be any sort of new console, device, or what-have-you. I'm not willing to buy a piece of hardware just to play a Sonic game like I was back in the Dreamcast days.

30 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

SEGA's net worth is less than half of Xbox's, Sony has about 12 billion on them too, and both those companies sold their current gen consoles at a loss. It's not going to be competitive hardware regardless of how well they're doing as a software house. It's just not viable.

Edit: Unless you mean like what Nintendo is doing where they put together a tablet and call it a day. In which case, yeah, sure. Maybe they could.

Microsoft and Sony are bigger companies because they aren't only video game console manufactures. Sega nowadays is bigger than at the time it used to produce hardware.

I don't think Sega wants to go back to the console market anymore because it's a big risk. If the console fails, they could go to bankrupt. Sega has grown since they left the console business and started to develop games for other platforms. It wouldn't be a smart business decision.

Well I’m excited. Might not be exactly revolutionary but it must be pretty big. The Sega Channel was revolutionary. A streaming service for digital games. That was like decades ahead of its time.

12 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Pleeeeease don't let it be any sort of new console, device, or what-have-you. I'm not willing to buy a piece of hardware just to play a Sonic game like I was back in the Dreamcast days.

Tbh, I agree with this. Having Sonic exclusive means for me at least having to buy another console just to play that. I have a Switch and a solid pc so I really don't want more. So it would more harm than good to most of us who already own consoles.

Sega is gonna officially announce the Sega cinematic universe.

🙊

Nah,I don't know what it could possibly be.

I've got a feeling that the whole "as big as the ps5 announcement" tidbit is just some major exaggeration going on to create hype for something not even close to deserving that level of excitement or intrigue. 

Doesnt sega release new arcade hardware all the time? I remember back in 2010 I followed this rumor about this sega arcade machine that was supposedly a dreamcast 2 prototype, that was garbage. So if its hardware related, it may only be relevant to Japan where arcades are still popular. If it's an actual console, it's probably just another retro console, but can play more recent stuff like dreamcast or saturn games. That's all cool, but not on the level of interest of the ps5. 

If it's deadass an actual console to compete with Microsoft, nintendo and Sony than ya I am interested, but only because of how Sega will try and make sure they dont go bankrupt from it. That would be biiiiiiig, but it's incredibly unlikely. It doesnt have to be a Dreamcast 2. Why is that such a popular name?? 

If it's one of those rumors I've heard about sega selling themselves, that'd be pretty interesting, but again, not on the level of interest of ps5 info. 

1 hour ago, McGroose said:

Doesnt sega release new arcade hardware all the time? I remember back in 2010 I followed this rumor about this sega arcade machine that was supposedly a dreamcast 2 prototype, that was garbage. So if its hardware related, it may only be relevant to Japan where arcades are still popular. If it's an actual console, it's probably just another retro console, but can play more recent stuff like dreamcast or saturn games. That's all cool, but not on the level of interest of the ps5. 

New Arcades games, sure but new arcade hardware not as often as you think. Most SEGA arcade games run on the equivalent of a decade old Windows PC (yes, even megahit games like Maimai, Project Diva and Chunithm (look it up) run on old ass PC gear.)

Even then, new SEGA arcade hardware wouldn't be worth this kind of build up, IMO. The newest HOTD game, even runs on its own hardware made to support UE4, and that's still kind of a dated piece of shit and I don't remember anyone really caring about it.

I think some kind of classic consolewith preloaded games type deal might be possible- Like a Saturn/DC/MD combo machine. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well whatever it is, it’s not that rumor that the Xbox Series X would be rebranded as the Sega Series X in Japan.

Gee, thanks key opinion leader in China for telling us what it isn't. 😅

15 hours ago, KHCast said:

Well whatever it is, it’s not that rumor that the Xbox Series X would be rebranded as the Sega Series X in Japan.

Legit shattered. I was gonna import one for myself and another for my SEGA fanboy dad. 

• Thumbs Up 1