Awoo.

MT | Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Movie - General Discussion

Indigo Rush

Another character they might pick is Metal, since he could be added without needing to spend too much time developing a character unlike Amy or Knux - though I could totally see them too (maybe save Knux for a Sonic 3 if they want to imitate that like all the Tails Sonic 2 stuff they'll likely capitalize on in marketing).

All I can say is, I had no idea how much I would like the first film so it's really exciting that I can look forward to the sequel! Will be an incredibly different experience than the "hype" for the first movie, and that's great!

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Too Many Rings 1

So glad we have the writing team back together, so we can follow up on the original plot of the film with room for them to learn from criticisms.

Looking forward to how they handle the events for the next movie. It can go in a variety of places just from what we saw of the first.

-The ambiguous fate of LongClaw.

-The deal with Tails

-The echidnas

-The return of Robotnik

That's a lot to juggle as is, so I hope the filmmakers make sure not to get too carried with bloating the film.

Edit: Our good friend Jeff Fowler basically cements this news.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sweet! Who knows when this is gonna one out, but I’m guessing 2022 at the earliest.

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

Another character they might pick is Metal, since he could be added without needing to spend too much time developing a character unlike Amy or Knux - though I could totally see them too (maybe save Knux for a Sonic 3 if they want to imitate that like all the Tails Sonic 2 stuff they'll likely capitalize on in marketing).

All I can say is, I had no idea how much I would like the first film so it's really exciting that I can look forward to the sequel! Will be an incredibly different experience than the "hype" for the first movie, and that's great!

Metal should be a shoe in considering the quill Robotnik managed to get from Sonic. This would also make it so if Metal is in the movie it would increase the tension between both Sonic and Knuckles with the former's case being that Knuckles race/clan traumatized him in twisting his life upside down and the latter with Knuckles if it so happens that his race/clan got annihilated as they if it does take after the Adventure backstory with them wanting to seize power that doesn't belong to them (in the case of the Emeralds and Sonic's Speed) depending on what Knuckles is led to believe by the information given to him will find Sonic at fault for the total or near extinction of his race/clan or even Metal stealing the Master Emerald which Robotnik can then set up Knuckles to fight Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 6

I imagine the next time we'll hear of anything concrete about the film could be at SXSW next year with some small teaser footage made just to show off Sonic and Tails together, and we'll just eat it up.

Definitely for the promotion, this needs a reference:

Spoiler

sonic-tails-hedgehog.jpg

And one of the posters most definitely needs to reference this iconic box:

Spoiler

s2-bginfo-detailsimg3full.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

For the sake of cohesion, I hope they don't add Knuckles and focus mainly on Sonic & Tails for the sequel; given that this will be the first time their dynamic can be explored in a different way. I want to see how this specific version of Sonic & Tails develop their iconic bond. 

• Thumbs Up 5

13 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

For the sake of cohesion, I hope they don't add Knuckles and focus mainly on Sonic & Tails for the sequel; given that this will be the first time their dynamic can be explored in a different way. I want to see how this specific version of Sonic & Tails develop their iconic bond. 

Yeah, that's exactly what I hope they don't do. We don't seriously need a huge bloat of characters for this next movie. Even if I would love to see them all, I think Sonic fans understand better than most the dangers of overstuffing a plot with characters.

I'd genuinely love just sorta taking the time with introducing characters.

For the next film, I could imagine either Knuckles or Amy as a major focus, but I can't imagine them both there. It's already going to be tough when we need to balance the return of Robotnik and whatever Tails needs Sonic's help for.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I hope they don't do. We don't seriously need a huge bloat of characters for this next movie. Even if I would love to see them all, I think Sonic fans understand better than most the dangers of overstuffing a plot with characters.

I'd genuinely love just sorta taking the time with introducing characters.

You say that, but so many people are pushing for Knuckles and Amy and I'm like "chilllll" 

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

You say that, but so many people are pushing for Knuckles and Amy and I'm like "chilllll" 

I know. It's one thing to want all this stuff to show up, but it's another thing to implement it in what will probably a less than 1 1/2 hour movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

Angry Joe was pushing for Shadow and I'm like, dude, Shadow appearing in these things feels like a wait further than the stratosphere at this point. 

I'm cool if we get Sonic 2 and it's about his buddy Tails. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Very happy to hear they are working on the 2nd movie so soon! Hopefully We get to see Jim actually look like Robotnik for the entire next movie, I read Jim is even willing to wear a fat suit next time! Personally i hope Metal-Sonic & Amy show up on the next movie along with Tails, I could easily see them combining the Sonic-2 & CD cast for the 2nd movie. I feel they should save Knuckles for a 3rd possible movie considering the whole echidna tribe stuff might be enough to take up most of a movie on it's own. As s side note: i don't really want the whole 2nd movie simply including Tails as the only new character... would be pretty dull to me if that was all they did.

33 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Pretty much how I felt. Like people kept asking to see Metal Sonic, the death egg, super sonic, shadow etc and it's like there's clearly a plan for this universe I don't want them to put all their eggs in one basket. 

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Pretty much how I felt. Like people kept asking to see Metal Sonic,

Except at least that one is a reasonable thing for people to ask as he is just a sub-villain connected to Robotnik. You guys are kidding yourselves if you think they'll limit it to only Tails far as new characters getting included on the 2nd movie.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wow! Cool! I didn't expect an confirmation sooner. I thought we were going have to wait for it until the pandemic is over. I'm excited for what's come next. All aboard the hype train!

flat_550x550_075_f.u6_300x300.jpg?fit=300%2C213

• Thumbs Up 1

Out of all the characters, I can see Metal Sonic working the most for the sequel. They'd replace Silver Sonic with Metal since he's better known and Robotnik would use the quill from Sonic he still he still has to power him. Big if though, since Amy and Knuckles need a bit more explanation.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yuji Naka's reaction to the sequel confirmation.:

Translation.: What a sequel to movie Sonic!

• Thumbs Up 1

The first movie was just like Sonic 1. It only had Sonic and Robotnik. We got to know them and they were developed.

The sequel should be like Sonic 2. It should introduce Tails and focus on Sonic's and Tails friendship as we know from the games, while dealing with the return of Robotnik. A possible post credits scene might introduce Knuckles for the third movie, following Sonic 3 the game where Knuckles was introduced as a major character.

Shock and surprise.

In seriousness, I'm very happy to see this. I went with my wife and a colleague and his gf to see it and we were made fun of by the ladies for looking like our 7 year old selves again. Especially with the end credits. 

Looking forward to the sequel. I'm guessing we will see more of either Sonic's homeworld or the world Robotnik got banished to. Not expecting much except a funny buddy story, much like the first, so as long as the character actors do their job I'm sure it'll be fun again. 

While I didn't have much faith in the first movie (even after the redesign), I gotta admit I ended up loving the film after I watched it, so I'm glad it's been confirmed a sequel is in development. Didn't think it would be so soon though!

I do wonder however, If Sonic and Tails return to their homeworld, how will they handle the duo's relationship and the echidna stuff at the same time? I mean, it'd be kinda hard to ignore the latter, considering Sonic will want to know what happened to Longclaw, and the echidnas probably captured her after she sent Sonic to Earth.