Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Movie - General Discussion

Indigo Rush

CaptainRobo
2 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Imdb can be changed by anyone. Its not a reliable source. 

38 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I agree. They even stated that they were supposed to be filming in Utah, but I don't see any proof of that yet.

Well, yes. I know. I should clarify this earlier. I'm aware that IMDb is not a reliable source. It may be accurate or not accurate. So, I show this what people might think of these castings if these are true. I guess we will see.

• Thumbs Up 2

CaptainRobo

Found this. Apparently, the same kid that Ben give an special message to back in February is playing Tails. Take this with a grain of salt. There is a high chance this could be fake.

• Thumbs Up 1

VisionaryofSUPER

I feel like this is probably the most relevant discussion to how SEGA perceives the movie franchise going forward:

Iizuka: Before entering in with further details, I would like to first explain the context in which the Sonic brand finds itself recently.

The number of fans has been steadily growing, those that liked the first games with Sonic Mania, those that are in love with the series with Sonic Forces, and fans that are keen into racing games with Team Sonic Racing. Then, in last February, the Hollywood movie was released, and it turned into a massive success, going further beyond the expectations of SEGA and Paramount, the distributor.

Thanks to the movie, beyond the existing fanbase, the number of people that got introduced to Sonic through the movie around the world has notably grown. Before it, the majority of Sonic fans were between 20 and 30 years old, and they were familiar with previous titles and animation series like Sonic X. The success of the movie has expanded the range of age to younger people, and those that got to meet Sonic through their parents introducing the character to their young.

Famitsu: It’s certain that the movie was directed to families.

Iizuka: Seeing the results of investing abroad [through the movie], a lot of families got to see the movie, and the number of people that have fallen in love with that “blue character with long legs that runs a lot” has grown exponentially. I’d like to recommend [Sonic Colours Ultimate] as the “Ideal Sonic to get into the series” for those that got to meet Sonic through the movie.

Hoshino: Meanwhile in Japan, we’re working with the head office of the Sonic Studio in the United States, and our main objective is to create a bigger number of fans in Japan, one that could rival the fans in foreign countries. Also, we’re working closely with the movie “Sonic the Hedgehog 2”, please look forward to it.

While the interview is known by now, this seems to imply that SEGA may have a more hands-on approach for the second film and how much it can deviate from the Sonic brand as a whole. Unless their original contract extended to a whole franchise, and they are primarily just in the role of giving advice again. It's clear though that the movie franchise is probably the most important piece of media to SEGA atm for getting new fans to interact with the series, along with the video games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rabbitearsblog
8 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

I feel like this is probably the most relevant discussion to how SEGA perceives the movie franchise going forward:

While the interview is known by now, this seems to imply that SEGA may have a more hands-on approach for the second film and how much it can deviate from the Sonic brand as a whole. Unless their original contract extended to a whole franchise, and they are primarily just in the role of giving advice again. It's clear though that the movie franchise is probably the most important piece of media to SEGA atm for getting new fans to interact with the series, along with the video games.

I hope SEGA doesn't have that much control over the sequel, in terms of storytelling.  Because if they want Sonic, Tails and the other characters to be flat characters like in the games, that could destroy the positive reputation that the movies had established.

• Thumbs Up 1

KingMario05
2 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I hope SEGA doesn't have that much control over the sequel, in terms of storytelling.  Because if they want Sonic, Tails and the other characters to be flat characters like in the games, that could destroy the positive reputation that the movies had established.

This. The movie worked because Sega lacked oversight, not in spite of it. And the second Sega makes the movie's interpretations carbon copies of the post-Forces status quo (dumbass Knuckles, cowardly Tails... whatever the hell Shadow is supposed to be, etc.), the franchise dies before it can even get off the ground, through no fault of Paramount's own.

VisionaryofSUPER
3 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I don't think they do outside of giving advice really, and maybe giving input on character designs. If anything I'd say they are communicating more with Paramount on the marketing front and how to align the movie to their own marketting strategies that allows there to be synergy between it and the game franchise.

It's also primarily discussing with Paramount on distribution of the movie in Japan I imagine and how they can properly market it. Probably more game tie ins like what they did with Phantasy Star Online 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rabbitearsblog
4 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

I don't think they do outside of giving advice really, and maybe giving input on character designs. If anything I'd say they are communicating more with Paramount on the marketing front and how to align the movie to their own marketting strategies that allows there to be synergy between it and the game franchise.

It's also primarily discussing with Paramount on distribution of the movie in Japan I imagine and how they can properly market it. Probably more game tie ins like what they did with Phantasy Star Online 2.

If that's the case, then that's fine.  I don't mind SEGA collaborating with Paramount on marketing the franchise.  I just hope they don't have anything to do with the plot of the movie.

• Thumbs Up 3

CertifiedNobody
29 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

The writers said in an interview that they had a lot of freedom and only one scene got cut due to not being important to the story, so they clearly don't have that much influence.

• Thumbs Up 3

Rabbitearsblog
20 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

The writers said in an interview that they had a lot of freedom and only one scene got cut due to not being important to the story, so they clearly don't have that much influence.

Thank goodness!

• Thumbs Up 3

Rabbitearsblog

By the way, does anyone know when the teaser trailer will come out?  When do the official trailers and the teaser trailers come out for the movies?  Is it much earlier for the teaser trailers and is it like 6 months before the official movie release date for official trailers?

CaptainRobo

Next week, filming in Hawaii start next week.:

I think we will see a trailer maybe like November, December, January, or February. I don't know. The movie isn't expected to be out until April.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rabbitearsblog
10 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Next week, filming in Hawaii start next week.:

I think we will see a trailer maybe like November, December, January, or February. I don't know. The movie isn't expected to be out until April.

Oh boy, December or November is a long wait!  But anyway, can't wait for the filming in Hawaii soon!

CaptainRobo
2 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Oh boy, December or November is a long wait!  But anyway, can't wait for the filming in Hawaii soon!

Yeah, probably likely the end of the year or January. I know it is a long wait. Also, yes. Me too! Looking forward to see what they will be filming in Hawaii!

The trailer for the first one was released in November which I think is 3 months before the movie was released in February.

• Thumbs Up 1

PeterPancake

I DESPERATELY want a reprise of this theme in Sonic 2

I NEED Metal in the movie :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Rabbitearsblog
4 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

I DESPERATELY want a reprise of this theme in Sonic 2

I NEED Metal in the movie :D

Can they get the rights to Sonic OVA?  Last I checked, that movie haven't been released on DVD for awhile now.

• Thumbs Up 3

CaptainRobo

A list of the confirmed locations that movie will take place in so far.:

• Thumbs Up 2

Rabbitearsblog
1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

A list of the confirmed locations that movie will take place in so far.:

LOL! Mushroom Planet!  I wonder how much time the movie is going to spend in Mushroom Planet?

• Thumbs Up 1

CertifiedNobody
3 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

LOL! Mushroom Planet!  I wonder how much time the movie is going to spend in Mushroom Planet?

Probably just a scene or two. It's not a very interesting location.

• Thumbs Up 1

CaptainRobo

James Marsden is in Hawaii now. It's look like filming could start sooner than expected.:

• Thumbs Up 2

VisionaryofSUPER

What is the snow for? Some kind of sideshow attraction scene? 

Definitely a weird prop for the vacation resort. 

CaptainRobo
1 hour ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

What is the snow for? Some kind of sideshow attraction scene? 

Definitely a weird prop for the vacation resort. 

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

According to this, the set photos may suggest Sonic and his friends may fall out from the ring portal. It's possible that we may see a scene of them accidentally crashing an wedding.

Also, I hear that Jim won't be in Hawaii.:

• Dreadknux changed the title to Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Movie - General Discussion