Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Movie - General Discussion

Indigo Rush

Rabbitearsblog
9 minutes ago, nobukitsu88 said:

That would not likely happen with a movie like the Sonic. It is way too anticipated and it would likely be one of the movies they'd want to bring people back to the theaters. If anything, I would imagine they would be more likely to delay the movie than give it to someone else.

Certain movies are sellable if they are like sequels to legacy movies that is almost the equivalent of doing direct to video or untested franchises. But major films like Top Gun, Mission Impossible or Sonic would likely be the ones they want to save as big crowd earners.

Although I do wonder, if Paramount decided to do less theatrical movies, would this mean that they would move the big movies like Top Gun, Mission Impossible and Sonic to streaming or will they still release them in theaters if things get better with COVID?

• Thumbs Up 1

KingMario05
2 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Although I do wonder, if Paramount decided to do less theatrical movies, would this mean that they would move the big movies like Top Gun, Mission Impossible and Sonic to streaming or will they still release them in theaters if things get better with COVID?

Mission: Impossible and Top Gun are both locked for theatres because Tom Cruise would flip the fuck out if they put either of his blockbusters on streaming. Paramount cannot lose Cruise, so they are thus safe. That's a luxury Sonic sadly doesn't have... and, because the pandemic effectively slashed what it could have grossed, I fear they might doom it to the same Amazon-owned Hell Coming 2 America and Tomorrow War wound up in.

CaptainRobo

A little late to posted this. However, Colleen wishes Ben happy birthday. Also, Ben responds to her with an nice birthday response.:

Also, I did show her some posters that I made back in February which was a month before filming starts. She quote retweet my posters and like these! It's pretty cool getting an nice response from her.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rabid-Coot

I don't think they will be selling things off to competing streaming platforms long term, the easy cash is nice for them but at some point they will have to start supporting Paramount + with content.

• Thumbs Up 3

Rabbitearsblog
5 hours ago, Rabid-Coot said:

I don't think they will be selling things off to competing streaming platforms long term, the easy cash is nice for them but at some point they will have to start supporting Paramount + with content.

Yeah, I can see them trying to put some of their bigger movies on Paramount + rather than some other platform that's competing with them.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

Rabbitearsblog
4 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

This is kinda unrelated. However, this is probably have something to do with promoting the upcoming movie.:

Oh yeah!  They were talking about this!  I can't wait to read this series soon!

• Thumbs Up 3

CertifiedNobody

Best Buds Forever reminds me of those dvds containing a handful of random episodes from a show. Or those Sonic Select collections.

It's an underwhelming announcement but it's good to see IDW trying to tie into the movie with this and the Pre-Quill miniseries. If only they'd done it for the first one.

Rabbitearsblog
1 minute ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Best Buds Forever reminds me of those dvds containing a handful of random episodes from a show. Or those Sonic Select collections.

It's an underwhelming announcement but it's good to see IDW trying to tie into the movie with this and the Pre-Quill miniseries. If only they'd done it for the first one.

To be fair, nobody at time was certain that the first movie would be successful, so doing any kind of merchandising for the first movie might have been a disaster if the first movie bombed since they would have put in so much money into the merchandising for the first movie.  Now that the first movie proved to be a massive success, there's a lot more effort to do the merchandising for the second movie.  Also, IDW probably didn't do any merchandising for the first movie at the time because the Sonic comic book series was still relatively new at the time, so it probably didn't make any sense to promote the movie at the time, when the comic book series was still new.

nobukitsu88
22 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

To be fair, nobody at time was certain that the first movie would be successful, so doing any kind of merchandising for the first movie might have been a disaster if the first movie bombed since they would have put in so much money into the merchandising for the first movie.  Now that the first movie proved to be a massive success, there's a lot more effort to do the merchandising for the second movie.  

On a similar note, I believe in one interview Pat Casey actually mentioned that the tie ins for the second movie would be a lot bigger (IIRC). With the first one they took what they could get, but now that the movie is a hit, there will probably be more stuff on the national level. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Rabbitearsblog
37 minutes ago, nobukitsu88 said:

On a similar note, I believe in one interview Pat Casey actually mentioned that the tie ins for the second movie would be a lot bigger (IIRC). With the first one they took what they could get, but now that the movie is a hit, there will probably be more stuff on the national level. 

I do wonder if they are going to get a restaurant tie in like they did for Olive Garden in the first movie?

• Thumbs Up 1

CaptainRobo
55 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I do wonder if they are going to get a restaurant tie in like they did for Olive Garden in the first movie?

Probably. Also, they might be in the movie, however, they didn't do an tie-in promotion for the movie. Instead, Jack in the Box did it.:

Also, they could get a much bigger fast food chain. Jack in the Box is not an nationwide fast food chain. They only have restaurants in certain states. They don't have locations in states like New York. Here are the full list of the locations. The numbers means the numbers of locations that each state have.

Spoiler

ARIZONA(171)
CALIFORNIA(942)
COLORADO(17)
HAWAII(30)
IDAHO(33)
ILLINOIS(12)
INDIANA(3)
KANSAS(5)
LOUISIANA(16)
MISSOURI(55)
NORTH CAROLINA(18)
NEW MEXICO(8)
NEVADA(77)
OHIO(2)
OKLAHOMA(16)
OREGON(51)
SOUTH CAROLINA(9)
TENNESSEE(9)
TEXAS(592)
UTAH(3)
WASHINGTON(147)

Also, I made this little concept for fun. I could see this happening.

demzrrh-df8015f6-c282-4d9a-b5ea-f067be7e628c.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2RhYzhlMWZhLTA5ZGItNDE1OC1hY2YxLTgyYzU1MTA4ZjFkM1wvZGVtenJyaC1kZjgwMTVmNi1jMjgyLTRkOWEtYjVlYS1mMDY3YmU3ZTYyOGMuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.fTuhhcI8d59FhL4ZMKPBthlW8_-YwgjHriyBYIxBhsU

• Thumbs Up 1

CaptainRobo

According to IMDB, an extra named Nicholas Dohy who seem to be playing an person who is walking in Seattle had been added to the list. The actor seem to have previously played an Tough Bar Patron from the first one. The first link lead to the cast of the 2nd one. While, the second link is lead to the cast of the first one.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12412888/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3794354/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm

I think there were two more extras that were added to the cast of the second movie. One is named Vladimir Raiman who seem to play an bartender in the movie.  The other one is Leighton Hara who is playing an hotel guest in Hawaii.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rabbitearsblog
13 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

According to IMDB, an extra named Nicholas Dohy who seem to be playing an person who is walking in Seattle had been added to the list. The actor seem to have previously played an Tough Bar Patron from the first one. The first link lead to the cast of the 2nd one. While, the second link is lead to the cast of the first one.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12412888/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3794354/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm

I think there were two more extras that were added to the cast of the second movie. One is named Vladimir Raiman who seem to play an bartender in the movie.  The other one is Leighton Hara who is playing an hotel guest in Hawaii.

I would take what IMDB are saying with a grain of salt. They usually put out false information about a movie before it's released.

• Thumbs Up 4

CaptainRobo
On 9/19/2021 at 12:47 PM, Rabbitearsblog said:

I would take what IMDB are saying with a grain of salt. They usually put out false information about a movie before it's released.

Yeah, I know they usually have false information. Lol. Sorry, my bad.

Anyway, an new movie will be coming up after an week the Sonic movie sequel will be released. Not sure if this will impacted the movie which I kinda doubt it. I hear the previous ones weren't that good.:

Also, found these.

Anyway, unrelated, the new Mario movie will be coming next year. They just released the cast and an new poster.:

• Thumbs Up 2

KingMario05

Aw, cool. It'll be nice to see Star-Lord go bad for a cha...

He's Mario

CHRIS FUCKING PRATT IS NOW MOTHERFUCKING MARIO

AND THE ACTUAL MARIO IS REGLEGATED TO D-LIST CAMEOS

GIF by Sonic The Hedgehog

Anyway... yeah, they're probably gonna movie it now that Beasts 2 is locked in for the week after. Paramount aren't morons, and they know that such a film would basically eat Sonic alive - hence, a move. (Unless they're intentionally burying it to prop up Paramount+, but they'd never do that... right?)

Rabbitearsblog
3 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Yeah, I know they usually have false information. Lol. Sorry, my bad.

Anyway, an new movie will be coming up after an week the Sonic movie sequel will be released. Not sure if this will impacted the movie which I kinda doubt it. I hear the previous ones weren't that good.:

Also, found these.

Anyway, unrelated, the new Mario movie will be coming next year. They just released the cast and an new poster.:

I'm kind of mixed on the Fantastic Beasts movie coming out a week after the Sonic movie sequel.  On the one hand, it's a Harry Potter property and those movies tend to do pretty well in the box office.  But on the other hand, as you said, the Fantastic Beasts movies haven't really been doing that well and with the controversy surrounding the franchise at the moment, I don't know how much that controversy will impact the third Fantastic Beasts movie.

As for the cast of the Mario movie...wow...I didn't expect them to have this kind of cast for the Mario movie. So apparently, Chris Pratt is playing Mario.  So, does this mean that Mario will be younger in the movie or did they just wanted to have a different interpretation for Mario in the movie?  And I'm a bit worried that Illumination is doing the film since their films tend to be hit or miss.

• Thumbs Up 3

CertifiedNobody
3 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

Aw, cool. It'll be nice to see Star-Lord go bad for a cha...

GIF by Sonic The Hedgehog

Anyway... yeah, they're probably gonna movie it now that Beasts 2 is locked in for the week after. Paramount aren't morons, and they know that such a film would basically eat Sonic alive - hence, a move. (Unless they're intentionally burying it to prop up Paramount+, but they'd never do that... right?)

Didn't the second movie kill off that little spinoff series? As said, I don't think this will be the box office hit you think it will, especially because a lot of people no longer want to support the creator that's offended both political sides.

How much audience overlap is there for a HP spinoff and Sonic The Hedgehog anyways? I'd agree that they should move the date if it was a Spider-Man movie or something, but I don't think it's really a huge threat.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rabbitearsblog
49 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Didn't the second movie kill off that little spinoff series? As said, I don't think this will be the box office hit you think it will, especially because a lot of people no longer want to support the creator that's offended both political sides.

How much audience overlap is there for a HP spinoff and Sonic The Hedgehog anyways? I'd agree that they should move the date if it was a Spider-Man movie or something, but I don't think it's really a huge threat.

I agree. If it was a Marvel movie or a Disney film, then I would have been more concerned for the box office of the Sonic Movie sequel. However, since Fantastic Beasts is a franchise that's going through some trouble right now, I think that the Sonic movie sequel will be safe at the moment.

• Thumbs Up 3

KingMario05
2 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I agree. If it was a Marvel movie or a Disney film, then I would have been more concerned for the box office of the Sonic Movie sequel. However, since Fantastic Beasts is a franchise that's going through some trouble right now, I think that the Sonic movie sequel will be safe at the moment.

Huh. Pretty sure the last one made money... then again, that was before JK went full wacko. Regardless, Harry Potter is still a big brand, so I still wouldn't be surprised if it wiggled its way into July or something.

VisionaryofSUPER

Potter Mania is long done for. And hasn't really applied to Fantastic Beasts, especially with the mess that followed the previous two films. I think Sonic will be fine.

Chris Pratt as Mario... I still can't believe it.

I wonder if the trailers for both movies will premiere at the same time? You know Illumination just loves to pull out the big guns when it comes to marketing their movies.

• Thumbs Up 5

nobukitsu88

The Mario cast reveal made me wonder when we will hear about Tails finally.

Yeah Chris Pratt threw me off. I knew they weren't going to keep Charles Martinet because of how Hollywood works historically (not saying it should be that way, but let's be honest). Just that I imagine Chris Pratt as more of a... character with attitude or "bro" type character within the animated world. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon
17 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Didn't the second movie kill off that little spinoff series?

If only we'd been so lucky. 

14 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

Huh. Pretty sure the last one made money

Fantastic Beasts 2 was literally the lowest grossing movie in the Wizarding World franchise.

Not necessarily terrible, but no where near a film big enough to eat all others alive.

14 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

Regardless, Harry Potter is still a big brand, so I still wouldn't be surprised if it wiggled its way into July or something.

The Potter brand has been heavily weakened by controversy after controversy from J.K. Rowling to the fuckery with poor Johnny Depp.

The Sonic 2 movie really doesn't need to worry about it.

• Thumbs Up 3

CertifiedNobody
9 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

Huh. Pretty sure the last one made money... then again, that was before JK went full wacko. Regardless, Harry Potter is still a big brand, so I still wouldn't be surprised if it wiggled its way into July or something.

Depending on who you talk to, she went full wacko the moment she discovered she can make retcons via twitter posts, but yeah I agree with the point.

• Thumbs Up 3

I've seen the news yesterday. It honestly seems like a solid roster of characters with a decent cast. Chris Pratt is a weird choice I agree, I'm gonna have to process that, it's something to be expected by Hollywood. Hey, they still involved Mario's traditional voice actor anyway. But it seems less tame and scared of adding characters than the Sonic movie series, most likely because it is animated.

• Thumbs Up 2