Indigo Rush

Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Movie Megathread

39 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Frankly, this is why it's stupid to put hardly anything from the source material in the first film and then try to catch up in the second.  Also stupid to make the first film's plot something that doesn't present much apparent niche for Tails and Knuckles.

I'm flashing back to Paramount's Ninja Turtles movies.  The first was, at least, not as terrible as I expected from something with Michael Bay and Megan Fox attached to it, but it was so low things from any past incarnation of the brand that it was drab.  The second went all-out with the fanservice, and personally I liked it but I can agree it was a mess, and apparently it didn't do well enough to warrant another sequel.

At this point its just important to just go at a good pace for storytelling. If they expect to make more films past the second, then may as well not go wild anyways.

As for Tails and Knuckle's niche, it feels self explanatory to me still at this point. Tails in the classic games was basically Sonic's hanger on little brother so that can easily be worked with as Sonic grows older and more developed. (It will also depend on when the sequel takes place.)

Knuckles is a rival, and an intimate one for Sonic what with Longclaw's ambiguous state. That first scene alone sets up a good niche for Knuckles. 

6 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

At this point its just important to just go at a good pace for storytelling. If they expect to make more films past the second, then may as well not go wild anyways.

As for Tails and Knuckle's niche, it feels self explanatory to me still at this point. Tails in the classic games was basically Sonic's hanger on little brother so that can easily be worked with as Sonic grows older and more developed. (It will also depend on when the sequel takes place.)

Knuckles is a rival, and an intimate one for Sonic what with Longclaw's ambiguous state. That first scene alone sets up a good niche for Knuckles. 

I agree that they shouldn't go too overboard with the sequel.  Adding in too many characters and trying to solve so many plot points might ruin the sequel if not handled properly.  That's pretty much what happened with the second Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie.  They added in so many characters and tried to add in so many plot points that the movie ended up being overcrowded.

7 hours ago, Piko said:

Jakks Pacific is handling costumes, so it’s most likely fake.

Yeah, I think it's safe to say it's fake. BTW, the guy who posted that picture post this on YouTube.

Also, a bit unrelated, Lee Majdoub is looking forward to watching the new Mortal Kombat movie which come out in April. You can watch the trailer now on YouTube. I hear a lot of people like it.

14 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Yeah, I think it's safe to say it's fake. BTW, the guy who posted that picture post this on YouTube.

Also, a bit unrelated, Lee Majdoub is looking forward to watching the new Mortal Kombat movie which come out in April. You can watch the trailer now on YouTube. I hear a lot of people like it.

Glad that Lee is looking forward to the new Mortal Kombat movie.  I hope it's good!

Ben Schwartz say that he doesn't know when they will start shooting despite the fact that filming will start next month according to the information that we recently received. However, he know that he will start soon. Not sure, why he say that he doesn't know when filming will start.

"I believe Sonic starts filming in the next few months, I’m not quite sure when, but I know it’s coming up, and I was able to read a script and it’s gonna be great!"

Source

We know that filming will begin in Canada in March and finish filming the rest of the scenes in Hawaii around May.

11 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Ben Schwartz say that he doesn't know when they will start shooting despite the fact that filming will start next month according to the information that we recently received. However, he know that he will start soon. Not sure, why he say that he doesn't know when filming will start.

"I believe Sonic starts filming in the next few months, I’m not quite sure when, but I know it’s coming up, and I was able to read a script and it’s gonna be great!"

Source

We know that filming will begin in Canada in March and finish filming the rest of the scenes in Hawaii around May.

I think he meant like he doesn't know when he's supposed to come in and record the lines. I'm assuming that the live actors film at different times from the voice actors.

5 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I think he meant like he doesn't know when he's supposed to come in and record the lines. I'm assuming that the live actors film at different times from the voice actors.

I see.

Also, I could imagine there were flashback scenes of Sonic and Knuckles were friends when they were younger in the movie. I draw an adorable picture of them how it might look like.

Spoiler

EmztKXgVQAEZFUz?format=jpg&name=large

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

I see.

Also, I could imagine there were flashback scenes of Sonic and Knuckles were friends when they were younger in the movie. I draw an adorable picture of them how it might look like.

Hide contents

I doubt it as sonic didn’t seem to know who the echidnas were in the opening of the movie and I got the impression that he never really was close to anyone but Longclaw at the beginning of the movie

I think in these type of movies, the voice actors come in later than the live actors. For the behind the scene content, you can see Ben Schwartz in a booth recording because they have to keep him attached to a machine to capture his facial expressions We also did not know Sonic's VA until late I think (after knowing Tom and Maddie's actors). We already had shots on the set of James Marsden and Tika Sumpter. If Ben Schwartz was on set acting with them, there would have probably been photo leaks before the official announcement.

This part is just speculating, but like Leebo4 said, I was under the impression that Sonic was all alone/isolated in the movie and never had a friend to care about except for Longclaw.

8 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

I see.

Reveal hidden contents

I don't think Sonic met Knuckles when they were young.  Since Longclaw was trying to keep Sonic safe, I assume that Sonic never had any actual friends on his planet because of this.

8 hours ago, Leebo4 said:

I doubt it as sonic didn’t seem to know who the echidnas were in the opening of the movie and I got the impression that he never really was close to anyone but Longclaw at the beginning of the movie

1 hour ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I don't think Sonic met Knuckles when they were young.  Since Longclaw was trying to keep Sonic safe, I assume that Sonic never had any actual friends on his planet because of this.

Oh, I see. Thanks. This is just a cute scene idea that I thought of. I thought it will be cute if we see an scene something like that. 

Anyway, I think we might see flashback scenes of Baby Sonic.

8 hours ago, mitsunari88 said:

I think in these type of movies, the voice actors come in later than the live actors. For the behind the scene content, you can see Ben Schwartz in a booth recording because they have to keep him attached to a machine to capture his facial expressions We also did not know Sonic's VA until late I think (after knowing Tom and Maddie's actors). We already had shots on the set of James Marsden and Tika Sumpter. If Ben Schwartz was on set acting with them, there would have probably been photo leaks before the official announcement.

This part is just speculating, but like Leebo4 said, I was under the impression that Sonic was all alone/isolated in the movie and never had a friend to care about except for Longclaw.

I guess the same will happen with Tails and Knuckles as we probably won't know who will be voicing them until promotional material of the movie is released.

10 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Filming will begin in Hawaii on May according to Reel News Hawaii.

This probably means that the movie crew will spend their time filming in Canada on next month and April.

So, does this mean that the majority of the movie will take place on Earth?

32 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

So, does this mean that the majority of the movie will take place on Earth?

Not necessarily. If Knuckles is indeed in the movie, then Hawaii could be used for Angel Island.

So a question that's on my mind is how much this movie will change Knuckles role in the series. Will it decide to kill off his tribe or have them still alive?

A big part of current Knuckle's backstory is his role of being a guardian as well as being the last of his kind, but since the first movie has already changed a lot of backstory, I feel like we need to reevaluate how much of Knuckles backstory is worth keeping. Would it be better to have his tribe still alive and play an active role in the story or just outright kill them all again?

I'm leaning a bit more to the former, just because I think there's more potential for story in future movies if Knuckles wasn't the last of his kind.

As for what Knuckles' backstory could be, instead of being duped by Eggman, he could have grown up alongside the same echidnas from the beginning, probably idolizing them and wanting to be like them, thinking he has to be like them, or even being pressured into being like them.

He's very likely going to be an antagonist, much like he started out in the games, but instead he's trying to appeal to those whose love may be more conditional on his performance as a warrior. Then maybe a point comes where he starts questioning his family, because he keeps seeing that Tom and Maddie seem to accept Sonic and Tails unconditionally.

This is pure speculation, but after the first movie, I'm pretty sure that the running theme in the Sonic Movies are going to be "found family". Tails alone reinforces the theme from the previous movie if they make his backstory similar to the games.

Spoiler

Also: The part where the Echidnas wanted to capture Sonic really made me think of that mural in Sonic 3, so I feel like that will come into play somehow in Sonic 2. Should the Echidnas play a larger part, anyway.

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

In a few more weeks, the Sonic movie sequel will start shooting.

Can't wait to see what we will be getting out of the filming!  Promotional posters?  Hints at the plot?  Can't wait!

So, ViacomCBS has recently announced that all their major motion pictures will stream on their new Paramount+ app after a theatrical window.

Also, It was mentioned that this hybrid release plan could also applied to the upcoming Sonic movie sequel. 

Unlike AT&T and Warner Bros., who made their announcement clear this would only be temporary for 2021, Paramount and parent company Viacom seem to indicate this could be the long-term plan for the studio moving forward, even after theaters open to full capacity. This means other major upcoming projects from Paramount like the sequel to Sonic the Hedgehog, any future Transformers films, or the next Star Trek film could be available to stream on Paramount+ just a month after the release.

https://screenrant.com/paramount-movies-streaming-plus-theatrical-window/

What do you guys think?

8 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

So, ViacomCBS has recently announced that all their major motion pictures will stream on their new Paramount+ app after a theatrical window.

Also, It was mentioned that this hybrid release plan could also applied to the upcoming Sonic movie sequel. 

Unlike AT&T and Warner Bros., who made their announcement clear this would only be temporary for 2021, Paramount and parent company Viacom seem to indicate this could be the long-term plan for the studio moving forward, even after theaters open to full capacity. This means other major upcoming projects from Paramount like the sequel to Sonic the Hedgehog, any future Transformers films, or the next Star Trek film could be available to stream on Paramount+ just a month after the release.

What do you guys think?

Seems like a good idea but I don’t think it will affect theaters that much unless other streaming services follow in their footsteps. I doubt anyone would be willing to pay for yet another streaming service (let alone Paramount+, which doesn’t appear to have much going for it anyway) just to watch a movie they could easily watch in theaters.

12 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

What do you guys think?

I kind of figured something like this would happen, especially since Paramount is trying to compete with other streaming services, like Netflix and HBO Max.  I do wonder how much it would cost to get Paramount +.  Would it be as expensive as HBO Max or a bit cheaper?