Indigo Rush

Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Movie Megathread

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

I don't know who actually took this. Apparently, somebody managed to found an video of the dogs.:

Update: Found the guy who recorded that video.:

Also, found another video.:

2 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Hmmm...could this be Ice Cap Zone or just Sonic, Tails, Tom and Maddie going to the mountains on vacation?  Or maybe the sequel has the gang trying to find the Chaos Emeralds across the world!

Remember, its supposed to be winter during the time the movie is set.  So who knows where this mountain setting comes in. 

New filming location revealed. That name of the street remind me of Colleen. Her last name is Shaughnessey which sound similar to that.:

Also, she actually did respond to the tweet that I posted. This is what she say on this.:

Also, back in February, the Tails voice actor want an Movie Tails plush to become an reality.:

Also, somebody managed to spotted Jim Carrey who played Dr. Eggman on set.:

Did anyone post the filming locations list on IMDB?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12412888/locations

It says Green Hills is still in the movie, although there are likely various mistakes, it says Ladysmith is present as Emerald Hill too, which I'm not sure considering they said Ladysmith would not be a location in 2. 

Other interesting things are the "airport" locations... cough Tails and the Tornado scenes cough.

Also interesting that we have spotted Carrey on set even via indirect info, finally! I mean it was obvious but I was still skeptical until the interview from a few days ago with the writers, who also talked about talking to Jim Carrey for sequel plans. So yeah, he is filming.

As it has been said I think the snowy mountain scenes may not be Ice Cap but likely a new thing from Earth as the movie is likely set during Christmas as hinted by Robotnik at the end of the first one.

8 hours ago, Jack-al said:

Did anyone post the filming locations list on IMDB?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12412888/locations

It says Green Hills is still in the movie, although there are likely various mistakes, it says Ladysmith is present as Emerald Hill too, which I'm not sure considering they said Ladysmith would not be a location in 2. 

Other interesting things are the "airport" locations... cough Tails and the Tornado scenes cough.

Also interesting that we have spotted Carrey on set even via indirect info, finally! I mean it was obvious but I was still skeptical until the interview from a few days ago with the writers, who also talked about talking to Jim Carrey for sequel plans. So yeah, he is filming.

As it has been said I think the snowy mountain scenes may not be Ice Cap but likely a new thing from Earth as the movie is likely set during Christmas as hinted by Robotnik at the end of the first one.

I usually don't trust IMDB when it comes to information like this because they tend to change the information for each film constantly.

Yeah, I imagine they are just going to reuse footage from the first movie as well as use digital editing tricks to plant Hero town into the new movie. It probably is either a covid thing or a cost saving measure. By changing to a new location they get to argue for a lower price.

29 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Found this. This was from an podcast interview with the writers.:

Interesting. Favourites aside, Amy and Metal are two of the most recognisable characters (that haven’t appeared in the movies) to non-fans and they would be pretty easy to introduce. Why wouldn’t they be added?

26 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

I just can't see them organically fitting Amy into this movie without undermining characters. A cameo at most and save her for a third movie. 

Agreed. Amy is a cool character and all, but the problem is that if you overbloat the film there is much less screen on average for all the characters and then they all suffer and become 2 dimensional because they don't get back story and what not.

Heck even with Knuckles, I think he should perhaps have a secondary villain role and some introductory character development (that they could expand on in the third movie), but if we only have about an hour and 30 minutes, I rather Sonic and Tails get the bulk of it to flesh out their relationship and expand on Tails' backstory so he doesn't become "kind fox boy who no personal stake".

3 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

I just can't see them organically fitting Amy into this movie without undermining characters. A cameo at most and save her for a third movie. 

I do wonder though, just how much creative control did Pat Casey and Josh Miller have over the first film?  And what were some elements of the plot that was mandated by Paramount?

9 hours ago, Jack-al said:

It's the same Green Hills in the story I assume, just a different filming location. I wonder why the change... maybe covid impacted it?

Still great that they are not ditching the hero town after all!

I guess they probably didn't want to go back to the town just to spend the time redecorating the place again like they did a few years ago. I imagine they will probably reuse the Green Hills scene like this one.:

i001358652.jpg

BTW, here is one extra photo that I found.:

Reggie Graham who work on the Sonic IDW comics managed to have a look at the filming set in Fort Langley.:

Also, interestingly, the Mean Bean reference is going to be used. This remind me of the time that Van who used to work on the movie did actually write an scene which included the Mean Bean reference for the movie. However, that got scrapped sadly.

1 hour ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I do wonder though, just how much creative control did Pat Casey and Josh Miller have over the first film?  And what were some elements of the plot that was mandated by Paramount?

The thing is, even from a business standpoint it makes sense to hold back characters. Leads to more marketing life for movies, because those characters can be marketing gimmicks in later films advertising campaigns. 

5 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

The thing is, even from a business standpoint it makes sense to hold back characters. Leads to more marketing life for movies, because those characters can be marketing gimmicks in later films advertising campaigns. 

Do you think that Paramount would start putting their foot in if there are too many characters in the sequel?

4 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Do you think that Paramount would start putting their foot in if there are too many characters in the sequel?

I don’t see them doing this as they are the ones who wanted the original sonic movie design and didn’t put their foot down for the choices Michael bay made that people hated in transformers

6 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I don't think they would unless it cost too much.

But we do know Paramount is at least giving Pat and Casey a lot of freedom so hopefully they're prioritizing plot over bloat. Just a simple action movie plot with minimal exposition please.

3 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

I don't think they would unless it cost too much.

But we do know Paramount is at least giving Pat and Casey a lot of freedom so hopefully they're prioritizing plot over bloat. Just a simple action movie plot with minimal exposition please.

Were Pat and Josh the ones who made the decisions to focus on character development for the first movie?

5 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Were Pat and Josh the ones who made the decisions to focus on character development for the first movie?

They cut out Tails from the first movie because they wanted to have a more focused plot. They did a lot of decisions during the shooting of the first movie to keep things focused on the interaction between Sonic and Tom such as shortening the intro sequences and such. So I think they have a good grasp on pacing. 

Most of what they hyped up in their interview was action scenes rather than character drama, so I think they have their priorities very straight. 

I think their idea of utilizing character is to have them participate in some action scene which is why I think they won't have major characters outside of Tails and Knuckles introduced.

The more time trying to keep characters relevant with exposition will mean less time for action scenes and the actually entertaining bits.