Indigo Rush

Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Movie Megathread

14 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Personally I'm convinced there could be cameos of other characters on Sonic's World to varying degrees of plot importance. It'd be kinda weird if a good chunk of the movie is set there and we don't at least get a look at any familiar characters.

You dont want to run into a "detective pikachu" problem tho, where many of the mon's who were never going to get any real screentime simply didn't meet the same standard as those that did. 

If you were going to put the effort in to redesign and craft a suitable looking Cream and Vanilla, I imagine you'll want to use them more for just a brief cutaway of watching sonic run past or save a village. If you don't put the effort in, they will look fugly, and their two seconds of fame will have a net negative impact. 

It's almost better to use forces tier OCs for that kind of thing. 

22 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

You dont want to run into a "detective pikachu" problem tho, where many of the mon's who were never going to get any real screentime simply didn't meet the same standard as those that did. 

If you were going to put the effort in to redesign and craft a suitable looking Cream and Vanilla, I imagine you'll want to use them more for just a brief cutaway of watching sonic run past or save a village. If you don't put the effort in, they will look fugly, and their two seconds of fame will have a net negative impact. 

It's almost better to use forces tier OCs for that kind of thing. 

I don't think it's gonna be an actual issue with Sonic 2. The writers already stated they don't want to add too much because they want to keep doing focused movies, the producers also wanted to cut costs and not make a very expensive movie, they found a way not to make it expensive, also one CGI character got cut and maybe reserved for movie 3.

So yeah, it's not gonna be expensive, which automatically means it doesn't have to gross too much like Detective Pikachu. With DP most likely they went overload with CGI characters and budget, so the movie still grossed okay but not enough for a sequel.

I have faith we will get a good movie and that it will be successful enough to at least conclude the movie saga with Sonic 3.

That's really the big problem with Sonic. So many of the characters are "main character" material in different ways, and there's no real way to include one without having it be a bit of a big deal, and any less screentime will usually end up disappointing.

That's why I am really hell bent on avoiding Shadow for as long as possible since he will require basically a whole movie for himself and steal basically the attention from the other characters. SA2 was already heavily focused on Shadow since that was his game, but didn't need to fully commit to the other characters since a lot of their development carried over from SA1.

Edit: It helps too that SA2 has more general screentime for all the characters by being a game that needs us to relate to the characters we're playing as.

13 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Remember people, these are stand ins. They only marginally represent the final design. 

Of course.

The only downside of Tyson's influence in this movie is that they probably got the best design out of the gate now and we may never see a nightmare version of Tails or Knuckles ;/

22 minutes ago, Jango said:

e only downside of Tyson's influence in this movie is that they probably got the best design out of the gate now and we may never see a nightmare version of Tails or Knuckles ;/

It's a painful sacrifice but one I am willing to make.

Lol 

1 hour ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

People really are pushing for Shadow to show up, or at least anticipating him. Boy, I hope Paramount doesn't go that route so soon. Even now you can see what a damn black hole (pun not intended) he is in the Sonic fanbase. Even as a stinger I'd rather wait until a potential fourth movie then just having him smacked into the third movie. Give some time for Amy and others to join in before he eventually swallows the plot.

I'm fairly confident that Shadow will show up in a hypothetical 3rd movie. He's too popular to not use.

3 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I'm fairly confident that Shadow will show up in a hypothetical 3rd movie. He's too popular to not use.

I know, that's what I'm confidently worried about. We've set up a big plot for Knuckles already and I'd rather it not get wrapped up in a rush in order to get to Mr. Popular who will steal the show.

His influence hangs heavy over the main series and the IDW comics already to the point that discussion about him seems to overshadow everything else.

6 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

People really are pushing for Shadow to show up, or at least anticipating him. Boy, I hope Paramount doesn't go that route so soon. Even now you can see what a damn black hole (pun not intended) he is in the Sonic fanbase. Even as a stinger I'd rather wait until a potential fourth movie then just having him smacked into the third movie. Give some time for Amy and others to join in before he eventually swallows the plot.

Either we get Metal in this film or Shadow closes out the trilogy in Sonic 3 me guesses 

15 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Either we get Metal in this film or Shadow closes out the trilogy in Sonic 3 me guesses 

I doubt this is ending in any trilogy if the films prove successful. If Transformers is anything to go by, Paramount will keep pushing until the end of time.

6 hours ago, Jack-al said:

I don't think it's gonna be an actual issue with Sonic 2. The writers already stated they don't want to add too much because they want to keep doing focused movies, the producers also wanted to cut costs and not make a very expensive movie, they found a way not to make it expensive, also one CGI character got cut and maybe reserved for movie 3.

So yeah, it's not gonna be expensive, which automatically means it doesn't have to gross too much like Detective Pikachu. With DP most likely they went overload with CGI characters and budget, so the movie still grossed okay but not enough for a sequel.

I have faith we will get a good movie and that it will be successful enough to at least conclude the movie saga with Sonic 3.

That's great to hear!  I was worried that this sequel wasn't going to be story focused due to introducing so many elements from the games.  But, I'm glad that the people working on the film care more about writing a good story than jamming in so much fanservice.

1 hour ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

I doubt this is ending in any trilogy if the films prove successful. If Transformers is anything to go by, Paramount will keep pushing until the end of time.

Agreed. If there is money to be made, Paramount will 100% keep making them. And I will keep watching them!

This won't stop at a trilogy.  I hope we get a new Sonic movie every two years for the foreseeable future!

If anything, yeah this movie... I don't want to say too early because I could be wrong, but it could be more popular than the first one, because it's more Sonic-y, has more elements of the franchise, more accurate, the other thing is that the first one was widely acclaimed, even people who didn't watch at theatres probably saw the reviews and people being happy about it, watched it later so everybody more or less enjoyed it, it's good news for the sequel, it means a lot of people will be watching.

Plus there is already a lot of buzz which is always great, I can't imagine when we will get trailers and promotion. Consider the first one barely got attention during filming. The whole movie situation has really turned around for now. But we will see how the buzz goes when we get later to the release.

As for future movies... I pray they stop at 3, because I assume that is when Jim Carrey's contract ends and I don't want to see Sonic movies without Eggman, I really don't, so spin-offs would be ideal, maybe Jim Carrey would be even willing to do that rumored Robotnik spin-off? Who knows, if he's the main star, you know he'll do it. Eggman and Shadow are the best candidates who could hold their own spin-offs.

2 hours ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

Ofc it won't stop at a trilogy. But since the writers are following 3 act structure, part 3 will be the wrap up/closing of the themes and story that started in Sonic 1

Transformers 3 also wrapped things up in that sense. We got an all-new cast in TF4. I wouldn't be surprised if Tom sacrifices himself or is killed by Shadow 

15 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Ofc it won't stop at a trilogy. But since the writers are following 3 act structure, part 3 will be the wrap up/closing of the themes and story that started in Sonic 1

Transformers 3 also wrapped things up in that sense. We got an all-new cast in TF4. I wouldn't be surprised if Tom sacrifices himself or is killed by Shadow 

I am certain that we won’t see shadow in the trilogy or that they will kill off Tom, they will probably keep the waochowskis around as the family for sonic and maybe tails

i think they changed cast for t4 because they couldn’t get Shia 

It's interesting talking about future films. I mean, for one, it's worth noting that Jim Carrey has always been quite against sequels in his career. Ace Ventura 2 was really the only exception, and then eventually he did a sequel to Dumb & Dumber 20 years after the first movie (and after a terrible prequel where his character was recast.) If Carrey comes back for Sonic 3, this would be the first trilogy he has ever done. I mean, I know Carrey has passed the prime of his career, Sonic is arguably been a bit of a comeback for him, but I honestly don't think it's a certainity he'll be back for Sonic 3. I think it's probable, but y'know, I think it also depends on how happy Carrey is to keep going on. The man turned 59 this year. I think Sonic 3 is possible for him, but I really doubt he'll do Sonic 4 and beyond.

I'd probably say the same about the rest of the live action cast like James Marsden. I think 3 films would be enough for them. Even for the director, Jeff Fowler, wouldn't be surprised if he did the trilogy and then went onto perhaps bigger things, proving that he can direct successful movies. (Also, is the Wikipedia article correct saying that he actually worked on the Shadow the Hedgehog game as a "CG Movie Production"?)

I mean, we are in the age of the cinematic universe. Even back in the 2000's, the idea of film franchises being more than 3 films was often joke worthy, like the Rocky movies. The fourth film in a franchise seemed always doomed to fail and be bad. But now anything is possible, people can be invested in very long running franchises. Fast & Furious 9 is a legitimate blockbuster, not a punchline. Hopefully Sonic could do that. But I also think alot of the live action actors will move on.

My guess: Sonic 2 ends with Sonic, Tails, & Knuckles as a trio. All future movies feature them as a trio and the main cast. Any future Sonic characters who will turn up in the movies will effectively be one movie only. Sonic 3 will be the last for James Marsden and Jim Carrey. Shadow will be the big guest star. Movie ends with Sonic moving back to his dimension and leaving James Marsden's family. Sonic 4 will see Sonic and co meet up with a new family, maybe for a new trilogy. Each subsequent movie has its own villian and a couple more characters brought in.

28 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

There's an idea. Though I don't know how exactly they handle Jim Carrey leaving the role if possible seeing as Eggman is the villainous face of the Sonic series, unless they decide to go the Archie route and recast him in some new form or go with another reboot. I definitely am interested to see where this goes.

But I can see this basically going the same route as Transformers with a new cast at the fourth film if possible. Though I think Jeff Fowler may stay on at least for the fourth film like Bay did and eventually Sonic being bounced around to a bunch of different directors for spin offs and such.

We are on the right schedule for a similar scenario for what happened to Revenge of the Fallen. While that was an awful movie, there's no damn doubt that film absolutely blew the first one out of the water in terms of the box office and lead into Dark of the Moon within yet another really quick year of shooting. So here is hoping.

Wow so much news popping up now! I'm nothing less than hyped! 

I'm loving Knuckles' design so far; he's got a bit of bulk to him, but not too much like Boom. Plus it helps from everyone having the same body type. Also I like how his shoes look similar to hiking boots; a nice nod to his lone adventurer/treasure hunting roots. Now where's that hat?

Jim Eggman's first leaked shot's got me confused with his levitating state lol. Also wondering why he's back to all black as opposed to the teased red? Maybe this is how they want to differentiate his movie look from other Eggmen by being clad in all black? Either way I'm happy Jim's going to be back for this and hopefully more sequels to come! 

4 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

It's interesting talking about future films. I mean, for one, it's worth noting that Jim Carrey has always been quite against sequels in his career. Ace Ventura 2 was really the only exception, and then eventually he did a sequel to Dumb & Dumber 20 years after the first movie (and after a terrible prequel where his character was recast.) If Carrey comes back for Sonic 3, this would be the first trilogy he has ever done. I mean, I know Carrey has passed the prime of his career, Sonic is arguably been a bit of a comeback for him, but I honestly don't think it's a certainity he'll be back for Sonic 3. I think it's probable, but y'know, I think it also depends on how happy Carrey is to keep going on. The man turned 59 this year. I think Sonic 3 is possible for him, but I really doubt he'll do Sonic 4 and beyond.

I'd probably say the same about the rest of the live action cast like James Marsden. I think 3 films would be enough for them. Even for the director, Jeff Fowler, wouldn't be surprised if he did the trilogy and then went onto perhaps bigger things, proving that he can direct successful movies. (Also, is the Wikipedia article correct saying that he actually worked on the Shadow the Hedgehog game as a "CG Movie Production"?)

I mean, we are in the age of the cinematic universe. Even back in the 2000's, the idea of film franchises being more than 3 films was often joke worthy, like the Rocky movies. The fourth film in a franchise seemed always doomed to fail and be bad. But now anything is possible, people can be invested in very long running franchises. Fast & Furious 9 is a legitimate blockbuster, not a punchline. Hopefully Sonic could do that. But I also think alot of the live action actors will move on.

My guess: Sonic 2 ends with Sonic, Tails, & Knuckles as a trio. All future movies feature them as a trio and the main cast. Any future Sonic characters who will turn up in the movies will effectively be one movie only. Sonic 3 will be the last for James Marsden and Jim Carrey. Shadow will be the big guest star. Movie ends with Sonic moving back to his dimension and leaving James Marsden's family. Sonic 4 will see Sonic and co meet up with a new family, maybe for a new trilogy. Each subsequent movie has its own villian and a couple more characters brought in.

Sonic moving back to his planet would be a terrible idea to me as it ruins the point of the first movie where he finally finds a home with the people he cares about and doesn’t have to hide anymore, Tom and Maddie are petty much his parents now and future movies beyond 3 would still need to be live action and cgi so I say keep Tom and Maddie as supporting characters for any movies beyond 3

6 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

So then Robotnik has to pass away in the third film? I'm also not sure see Jim sticking around for 4 and 5. But I think Sonic 4 will be a palate cleanser and the beginning of a new chapter 

I hope we get some version of the Death Egg in Sonic 3. Maybe it can be the Space Colony Ark substitute with Robotnik destroying the moon

14 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

So then Robotnik has to pass away in the third film? I'm also not sure see Jim sticking around for 4 and 5. But I think Sonic 4 will be a palate cleanser and the beginning of a new chapter 

I hope we get some version of the Death Egg in Sonic 3. Maybe it can be the Space Colony Ark substitute with Robotnik destroying the moon

I think that will be a little too much since I don’t see robotnik having the resources to build a full death egg