Awoo.

Alternate Sonic Soundtracks

Tornado

Or, since this was circa-1993 Sega at the absolute height of the two divisions' open war, it might have just been dick waving on SoA's part.

Or maybe it was all of them.

I figured it was just America being America and wanting to put their stamp all over it. You know, much like the assface Sonic redesign and shit. Not sure how common it is anymore, but back then it really felt like America had a stigma of "HEY GUYS THERE'S THIS AWESOME IMPORTED PROPERTY, LET'S MAKE IT LOOK LIKE IT WAS MADE IN THE US".

So yeah, basically, dick-waving. I doubt copyright would have been an issue since the PAL Mega CD release had the Japanese soundtrack. Although it's been stated that Europe's tastes are much more in line with Japan than the US' are anyway.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JezMM

• Sean

• Tornado

• -Mark-

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured it was just America being America and wanting to put their stamp all over it. You know, much like the assface Sonic redesign and shit. Not sure how common it is anymore, but back then it really felt like America had a stigma of "HEY GUYS THERE'S THIS AWESOME IMPORTED PROPERTY, LET'S MAKE IT LOOK LIKE IT WAS MADE IN THE US".

I've always been suspect of some sort of xenophobia towards Japan coming from the US.

I'm surprised discussion of this thread has died down after a couple days. Comparing these two soundtracks are some of the most popular debates in the fanbase, anyway. In conclusion, while I find the US present themes and ending on par with the japanese versions, I overall prefer the japanese soundtrack, mainly for feeling so high energy. While the atmospheric, darker USA soundtrack offered a nice change of pace from most music in other sonic games, I still don't find the overall USA version as memorable as the original version. I would absolutely love a return to the style Spencer Nielsen brought to the table, as long as it isn't a different version of a superior soundtrack.

I'm surprised discussion of this thread has died down after a couple days. Comparing these two soundtracks are some of the most popular debates in the fanbase, anyway.

It's kind of hard to debate it when the quality of the soundtracks boils entirely down to personal preference.

As for the recent thread of discussion pertaining to why Sega changed the soundtrack, there's the chance they did it just to be dicks. But considering my enormous respect for the US soundtrack, I can't see it as anything but a positive decision. It's difficult to imagine how I would have felt about the JP soundtrack had there never been a separate US version, but I still would have thought it to be too strange fitting for the game. As popular as Sonic Rush's soundtrack is, I dislike it for similar reasons. Both Rush and CD JP have much that feels so far removed from the game that it detracts from my enjoyment, and in CD's case, the experience as a whole. And I don't think it's because I grew up with the US soundtrack first. I was first familiar with the Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast's soundtrack and it's my preferred of the two, but I can play the Genesis version and enjoy it on its own accord (even if not as much). The Japanese music is a great deal of fun to listen to out of game, but I can't say I'll be revisiting it in-game often.

Technically I'd say that the JP soundtrack is superior because of US lack of its own soundtrack for past stages and Final Fever.

There are good reasons for the past themes being the same. The Present and Future themes are fully music on the CD, but all the past themes use the YM2612 (or PCM in the MCD? I don't remember) in the Genesis to some degree in order to make then sound "old".

Changing the future and present tracks was easy, but the past tracks would have required messing with the games programming quite a bit.

Or at least that's how I've come to understand the technical reason why.

*sigh* OK, I'm gonna say it... I think the Japanese soundtrack is the most overrated OST in the entire franchise.

Seriously, I just don't see what people like about it. The tracks are either boring (Tidal Tempest present, Wacky Workbench present), annoying (Palmtree Panic present & Good Future) or just plain bad (almost everything else, I'm looking at you Palmtree Panic Bad Future!)

I'm not saying it's the worst soundtrack in the franchise (coughGenesiscough), but honestly, that's how I feel.

The US soundtrack is a different story. While not my favourite, I do enjoy a huge majority of the tracks (Tidal Tempest and Wacky Workbench come to mind) and I do appreciate the more atmospheric direction they took here.

• 5 months later...

So, we all know that some Sonic games have had a big change in soundtrack, either due to suit the region it was going to be released on more, copyright issues, or hardware limitations. The most notable examples of these being Sonic CD (JP/EU vs. US) and Sonic 3D Blast/Sonic 3D: Flickies Island (Genesis vs. Saturn/PC).

So, what's your opinion on change of soundtrack for different releases?

I've always preferred Sonic CD's JP soundtrack as a whole, but the US version is fine, too. (With the exception of the Boss theme and the Game Over theme, because I'm a big scaredy-cat) I do really like Quartz Quadrant and Stardust Speedway's US themes, though: (I still prefer their JP counterparts for being more fitting and more catchy IMO, but they're still pretty good)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Ekm3ZI6DU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn7pK00Us3A

As for 3D Blast, I prefer the Saturn/PC version by far. The Genesis themes are fine, but they're kinda lacking in quality compared to the likes of Sonic 1 and Sonic 2's music IMO.

Also, please note that this isn't a general music discussion, this is mainly for soundtracks that have been changed for different releases. (So please don't lock this with a link to the general music topic)

Edited by GuywithPie
  • Thumbs Up 1

I guess the variety is nice. I like both of CD's soundtracks, and hey, more good music in the world isn't something I want to argue against. So if they did something like that again and I liked both soundtracks, great!

But I think I prefer they just use the same soundtrack in all regions, considering the fact people argue about CD's music and which one is "better" to this very day. :P

I too am glad we got two soundtracks worth of awesome music, even if it makes it a pain for me to decide which one to play with because I like both.

However while I understand some people apparently like Jun's droning whiny midi sounds (seriously they're good tunes but so... "weird" sounding compared to the main game soundtracks), Richard Jacques' beautifully rich Saturn/PC soundtrack is where it's at for Sonic 3D as far as my ears are concerned.  Diamond Dust and Puppet Panic in particular are just beautiful.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 3

In CD's case, I really didn't think there was any need to change the soundtrack, as the JP version fits the game perfectly and definitely appeals to me and several other gamers. I'm still grateful for the US version's existence, as there are a couple tracks I like more than their JP counterparts such as Stardust Speedway Good Future and Tidal Tempest present. They're on about the same level for me, the JP version is slightly more catchy and fitting for the game, while the US version delivers heavily on atmosphere, making it an awesome alternative to the JP soundtrack.

With 3D Blast, I definitely find the Genesis version to be much better than the Saturn version. I understand the change, as 3D Blast was being ported onto a CD console, so obviously they wanted to touch up on the soundtrack. Problem is, a lot of the songs bore the ever-loving sh!t out of me. There's a few songs here and there  that I enjoy, like Green Grove and Spring Stadium act 2, and the special stage theme, but most of it relies too heavy on trying to be atmospheric without a recognizable melody for me to hum to. The Genesis soundtrack matches the tone of Sonic 3 & K's soundtrack, and dare I say it, is the most memorable Genesis soundtrack I've ever heard. I can't get enough of it.

So I guess the soundtrack change has to be fully justified in order for it to take place. It's odd, I understand changing 3D Blast's soundtrack, and don't really understand why CD's was, but I can't get enough of the CD US soundtrack, and don't really like the 3D Blast Saturn soundtrack.

I never understood why people say that the European and Japanese soundtracks for Sonic CD are more fitting.  To me, both soundtracks seem to lack contextual purpose, with the exception of a few tracks.  Though I will concede that the EU/JP invincibility theme sounds a lot more like it belongs to a classic Sonic game than the US version does.  Really, though, I love both soundtracks equally.  I can't help but smile at the kids shouting "Yaaaaay!" at the beginning of Japanese Palmtree Panic.  On the other hand, I think Sonic Boom makes a better intro than whatever the Japanese version is called.  Plus, that guitar... so amazing! <3

Sonic 3D Blast is a hard one.  The Genesis version was my first Sonic game, so I simply can't objectively judge it.  Whatever glaring flaws the soundtrack has completely go over my head because I've become so accustomed to them.  Though I will say that from a technical standpoint, I do find the Saturn versions to be very impressive.  Beautiful compositions, excellent instrumentation, and wonderful choice of instruments overall.

I used to be upset at the differences in soundtracks, but honestly, I'm finding myself loving them because they give me more of a variety of music to choose from. @3@

Sonic CD's soundtrack change was one of the most asinine decisions SoA ever made regarding Sonic IMO next to dumping X-treme's development team in the deep end from the beginning and allowing Archie to do whatever the fuck it wanted for years with the comic to disasterous effect. It was very unnecessary and a waste of time and money as far as I'm concerned, needlessly delaying the game. Came off as dick-waving too.

I never prized the US soundtrack because it didn't define 'Sonic' to me and was just....boring and too 'realistic'. To me, Sonic CD's fantasy-esque feel and colourful art and direction suited the whimsical quality of the direction regarding the JP/EU music with it's sometimes bizarre feel (Collision Chaos Present is a good example of this) yet endearingly cheesy vocals in quite a few songs that to me, encapsulated the feel of the game that I perceived far, far better than the elevator music-esque US soundtrack that was obsessed with the electric guitar, morphed the boss theme into some kind of monstrously evil-sounding SatAM Robotnik-esque mess of a theme and had a recurrent problem with excessive sameyness (Quartz Quadrant GF and BF are very stark examples of that).

Aside from that, what the hell ever happened to Chronicles' music from the trailers? I distinctly remember trailers for Chronicles months before release having very different and much more tolerable music for Mystic Ruins and Central City at least. Mystic Ruins sounded exotic and mysterious at the same time, not the annihilation of The Final Fight (Sonic 3D Blast MD) that befalls your poor ears in the final version. What happened? Did the sound director's original compositions get wiped or rejected or something?

• Thumbs Up 2

far better than the elevator music-esque US soundtrack that was obsessed with the electric guitar,

I respect all musical tastes, naturally, but I don't get how that's... I dunno... a valid criticism?  It's rock music.  Rock music is heavily dependent on the electric guitar.  You're welcome to not like it, but the guitar is what makes the tracks in most of them.  Personally, I always sort of associated Sonic with rock music, so it fits the atmosphere a lot better than the weird rock rap in the Japanese version.  Not that I don't welcome diversity in the series.  That's one thing I adore about the series' music in general.

Plus, I think the American vocals were a lot more easy on the ears and gave it a delightful 80's cartoon feel.

Edited by Spooky Akita
  • Thumbs Up 3

I respect all musical tastes, naturally, but I don't get how that's... I dunno... a valid criticism?  It's rock music.  Rock music is heavily dependent on the electric guitar.  You're welcome to not like it, but the guitar is what makes the tracks in most of them.

My feeling is that it's used far too much. And it just makes the tracks even more samey than they are already. Compared to the EU/JP soundtrack which used a wider variation of instruments, it's a disappointing contrast.

• Thumbs Up 2

My feeling is that it's used far too much. And it just makes the tracks even more samey than they are already. Compared to the EU/JP soundtrack which used a wider variation of instruments, it's a disappointing contrast.

Its kind of unfair to call it all samey when a lot of them sound vastly different, even if the JP version does use different instrumentals that doesn't make the US version not sound different for each of its themes in comparison, that's just having more instrument variety.

Also, I kind of like a mix of both soundtracks in the case of CD and 3D blast, they both have some pretty good tracks and it would be nice if a mix of both could've been used in some way cause its kind of hard choosing between the two at times.

In CD's case, I really didn't think there was any need to change the soundtrack, as the JP version fits the game perfectly and definitely appeals to me and several other gamers. I'm still grateful for the US version's existence, as there are a couple tracks I like more than their JP counterparts such as Stardust Speedway Good Future and Tidal Tempest present. They're on about the same level for me, the JP version is slightly more catchy and fitting for the game, while the US version delivers heavily on atmosphere, making it an awesome alternative to the JP soundtrack.

They changed CD's soundtrack in America because they thought the original soundtrack sounded too generic for the time. 

As for what I think, I like both CD's soundtracks, but I just prefer the Japanese versions. For one, I don't like the random chicks in the US songs, they sound out of place. The US version sounds a bit guitar heavy for my liking sometimes too. But I still love some US versions like Stardust Speedway Present. 

As for Sonic 3D... I can't choose. I love Tatsuyuki Maeda's amazing songs from the Genesis version, especially Diamond Dust and Rusty Ruin. Jun also has a few songs in there, but I think Tatsuyuki shines in that game. But while I love the Genesis soundtrack, I can easily say the same for the Saturn version. Richard Jacques did an amazing job with the Saturn soundtrack. I love the rhythm of almost every song, and the instruments are awesome too! Some tracks like the Boss Theme and Green Grove kick ass. I seriously can't decide which version I like more.

Edited by SonicDude
  • Thumbs Up 2

They changed CD's soundtrack in America because they thought the original soundtrack sounded too generic for the time. 

I thought it was changed due to either

1. copyright claims on Work That Sucker To Death and whatever song "TELEPORTATION YEAH, SCABBIDY-BOYEAH" comes from

or 2. The USA CD using a different audio format to the JPN and EUR ones.

Edited by Yandere Amy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Its hard for me to say. All Sonic Music is good to me, Sega has me pretty well subliminaled on that front. I like both versions in their own way. Although, I do wonder why they felt the need to make a separate album in the first place? People did not pay as much attention to video game music those days as they do today, so why was there a need to make something different? Its not like sonic is shouting out expletives or anything. In some ways the soundtracks don't have a lot that are different between them. I mean the beats sound different but the melodies are almost the same. But I'm not complaining, the more sonic music the merrier. 

Oh boy...

As some of you may know, I cannot stand the Japanese Sonic CD music. Why? Because I feel the tracks are either boring (Tidal Tempest, Wacky Workbench) or annoying (Bad Future's except Stardust Speedway, Palmtree Panic,). I'm not even big on the opening and closing themes (I much prefer Toot Toot Sonic Warrior from the Green Hills song on 8-bit Sonic 2).

I do really like the US tracks, as they do a good job of being memorable and fitting the levels, without being too overbearing. Also, I LOVE both versions of Sonic Boom.

Sonic 3D: Flickies Island... I like both equally.

The Mega Drive version for it's catchiness, and the Saturn version for the atmosphere.

1. copyright claims on Work That Sucker To Death and whatever song "TELEPORTATION YEAH, SCABBIDY-BOYEAH" comes from

I'm not sure but I think that the music being too generic was on Sonic Retro or another Sonic Wiki. The sound format is the same though

Edited by SonicDude

However while I understand some people apparently like Jun's droning whiny midi sounds (seriously they're good tunes but so... "weird" sounding compared to the main game soundtracks), Richard Jacques' beautifully rich Saturn/PC soundtrack is where it's at for Sonic 3D as far as my ears are concerned.  Diamond Dust and Puppet Panic in particular are just beautiful.

The thing is that well....

While Jacques' songs are amazing, they were at an advantage (a better sound output compared to the Genesis) and these songs could have been instrumentated well if it was on the Saturn (...unless this happened in 2010 but it didn't). I mean, you know, Panic Puppet Genesis was the Twinkle Park Cart Act's music.

I wouldn't exactly call it a fair comparison and I genuinely like both soundtracks equally but just wanted to get this out there.

For CD though, it's clearly Japan for me. Palmtree Panic, Tidal Tempest, Boss, Quardz Quadrant are all a clean win for me. Stardust Speedway is a tie. 

Oh and you forgot to compare something else.

sonic-knuckles-collection-pc-boxart.jpg VS Sonic3andKnuckles.png

Again, another clean win for me. The songs are a lot more fitting to the level in my opinion and catchy too. 

Edited by Faseeh
  • Thumbs Up 1

I like the exclusive tracks in Sonic & Knuckles Collection over the Genesis versions. I heard them first, long before I ever realized there were different songs out there. Along with Sonic 3D Blast, it kills me that there's no way to play these games on modern consoles as I originally experienced them as a kid unless I install the extremely old PC versions.

While Jacques' songs are amazing, they were at an advantage (a better sound output compared to the Genesis) and these songs could have been instrumentated well if it was on the Saturn (...unless this happened in 2010 but it didn't). I mean, you know, Panic Puppet Genesis was the Twinkle Park Cart Act's music.

I wouldn't exactly call it a fair comparison and I genuinely like both soundtracks equally but just wanted to get this out there.

That's the weird thing though, Sonic 3D 16-bit has this just plain weird sound to the instruments.  Everything sounds really droney and whiny and awkward and I don't quite know how to describe it.  But Sonic 1-3K music did not have the same issue.

Like if I was to use highly technical terms, Sonic 1-3K is like "dun dun dunn dunnn dunnuh dununuuuh" whereas Sonic 3D is like "bow wow nooow noow woooawwww wooaaaaw".

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh and you forgot to compare something else.

sonic-knuckles-collection-pc-boxart.jpg VS Sonic3andKnuckles.png

Again, another clean win for me. The songs are a lot more fitting to the level in my opinion and catchy too. 

Erm... Which one is a clean win? You never specified.

• Thumbs Up 1

The US Sonic CD soundtrack gets way more hate than it deserves. It's like the red-headed stepchild of Sonic soundtracks.

In contrast, the Saturn 3D Blast OST isn't that good IMO. I mean, there are some good tracks, but the rest are either comparatively unremarkable or, in the case in Spring Stadium Act 2, downright terrible. The Genesis version is filled with mostly great tunes (with the best tracks being composed by Tatsuyuki Maeda) - sure, there were some unremarkable ones (hoo boy Spring Stadium you really got the short end of the stick in the music department, didn't you?), but none of them were outright atrocious.

Or 3. SoA wanted to give their shiny new music department a spin.

Edited by Deathzcrybe
  • Thumbs Up 2