Awoo.

Characters that grew on you.

Crystal Kingfisher

There are a few characters that grew on me. One of them is:

Scourge. At first, I thought he was a fan-character (keep in mind I mainly have issues of the Archie Sonic comics up until '05 or so), but then once I found out he was an Archie Sonic character and found out all about him and stuff, I thought, "Dude, this guy is AWESOME." IMO, the best Archie Sonic characters are Scourge and Fiona.

Another one would have to be Silver. I didn't like him at first, but now he's one of my favorite recent characters. I don't care for his voice though.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I used to think of Chip from Unleashed as a useless, unnecessary Tails replacement, but now consider him a worthy addition to the series, mainly due to his status as a god of some sort who is learning about the lives of mortals.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Dr. Eggman.

I never really hated the guy, but I certainly under appreciated him for who he was. Quite frankly, reading El Gran Gordo/Dr. Mechano's posts on Eggman during my time here at SSMB has enlightened me to a well developed and lovely character.

• Thumbs Up 2

Blaze. My first thought was "Oh great, yet another new Sonic character - Oh look, a grumpy pyromaniac cat!"... But when I took the time to look into her backstory and personality, she's actually really quite well thought out. The designers even thought to give her something as unique as a phobia of heights, something which hasn't really been done since Sonic's fear of water. That really helps ground the character and make her seem a bit more vulnerable and multi-dimensional.

I could also say the same for Silver, as those two do go hand in hand. I'm still not impressed with his physical design and his voice makes me cringe, but his story and personality are pretty solidly done.

Shadow is another character I used to hate but now like. Before I played SA2 when I saw the development pics of him I just thought "Great, this is as original as it gets! Emo Sonic!"... Though he does have a lot of physical similarities and abilities to Sonic he does have a good background story and has a completely different character to Sonic. By design he's a repaint with new shoes and slightly curved spikes, but by story, experiences and thoughts he's totally different. You can't help but feel sorry for him when you realise how manipulated and troubled he is across the games he is in.

• Thumbs Up 1

I used to think Eggman Nega was a pointless re-color of Eggman. I thought the idea of a second Eggman was utterly ridiculous when Rush first came out. Over time though, I felt Nega's madman mentality separated him enough from Eggman and made him an interesting addition to the series.

Edited by Icecoldfrieza
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I've been kind of back and forth on Shadow. I loved him in his first appearance, then grew to dislike him after he seemed to be getting disproportionate amounts of screentime, at the expense of Knuckles, no less. I've been gradually growing to like Shadow again as Knuckles has slowly gotten more spotlight in the post 06 era.

• Thumbs Up 1

I always genuinly liked Sonic, Eggman, Knuckles and to a less degree, Shadow and Amy. They've been growing in affection as the years pass, but I always liked them to begin with.

What you're asking... perhaps Chip and Silver mostly. I didn't think they were a waste in the first place, just there I guess, but only recently have I sincerly started to like and value them.

I didn't really used to care for Silver at all, but I've started to really like him as of late and he's becoming one of my favorite Sonic characters. His latent abilities are just too awesome and I actually think his design is good.

• Thumbs Up 2

I get attached to some weirder characters, so excuse if these sound weird.

Heavy and Bomb. Yes, those two annoyances from Knuckles Chaotix. They only appeared in one game, have next to no character, and all we know is that they're "Robotnik's robots deciding to turn against their master." Of course one explodes and the other slows you down, but why I like them is for two reasons. The first is I've come to appreciate the challenge they add to the game, it makes what character you get out of the slot machine more exciting. Second was this made-up idea in my head about them being brothers who, though useless, discover themselves together to go and stop the man who created them, with brotherly adventures. Yes that's dorky, I know.

E-102 Gamma. When I first started playing Sonic Adventure I thought he was just a useless robot who didn't seem too interesting besides it was a chance to see Eggman behind the scenes (Eggman's always been my favorite). However, as his story developed he really developed a character with some really strong tones and deeper meanings to his story. I miss him but like the references they throw at us about him anyways.

Big the Cat. OK, I hated... HATED him in Sonic Adventure. He was so dull and boring to me. However, come Sonic Heroes and he grew on me, even though he was stupider. In fact, the stupider they make Big, the more I seem to like him. I loved his role in Chronicles in particular, he was so stupid it was hilarious and I loved it.

Void- When I first played Sonic Shuffle and had difficulties with it, I did think he grew into a very deep character who reflects off the loneliness and lost feelings people can have, and how these feelings can misguide us.

Getting a bit bored with bios, but Vector the Crocodile, Omega, Mephiles, Captain Whisker, Blaze, Silver, Marine, Chip, and Professor Pickle. And SASS the robot. Loved that little dude.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really can't think of any that I disliked and then grew to like. Anyone that I can remember hating, I still hate.

...well, I didn't like Amy for a while, but that was during the point when she was a bit too crazy. I liked her fine before that, so it's more a rebound than growing on me.

I guess, if you're willing to call it a character, wereSonic would also count. Like damn near everybody I expected it to be yet another shitty gimmick with no redeeming values. Well, it was still a gimmick, but it was the best gimmick we've had. There's plenty that they did wrong with it, but it was still fairly entertaining and didn't stick out like a sore thumb. They also didn't mangle Sonic's character in the process, which surprised me.

There are characters that I didn't feel strongly either way but grew to like. Eggman's the big one; as a kid he was just "the bad guy" so I was never really concerned with him as a character, but once the Adventures came out and I started paying more attention, he became one of my favorite characters. I can't think of a single character in the series as consistently entertaining as Eggman; he's evil enough to be a convincing villain (well...when he's written that way) but still goofy and quirky. Imposing when he needs to be, but not to the point of being a bland wall of evil. Plus, he's had the best voice in the series both before and after the cast switch.

Big's another. I didn't like his gameplay and he didn't seem "cool" so I didn't really bother with him, but he's actually a pretty fun character, if not so much to play as. As an NPC or cameo, he's perfect; just a big, laid back, simple minded sort of guy who likes fishing and his frog friend. The Chaotix, too; I didn't have any attachment to them before Heroes, but Team Chaotix ended up being an entertaining bunch of characters, though I don't find them to be too interesting on their own.

• Thumbs Up 1

Big the Cat. His levels in SA1 blew ass, but he's a fun character now, personality wise.

Also, I used to like Shadow in SA2 and SH, but shortly after that I started to greatly dislike him.

I used to think of Chip from Unleashed as a useless, unnecessary Tails replacement, but now consider him a worthy addition to the series, mainly due to his status as a god of some sort who is learning about the lives of mortals.

Yeah, I thought that was a cool idea.

Anyway... mine's Silver! I guess he just seems cute and I seem to find people with weird tastes (clothes, haircuts) more interesting even if it drives most people away.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scratch and Grounder

I didn't like them back then when I was growning up because they were heelish characters. And nobody likes the bad guys. But after a while (this is a couple of years after SH I think) I thought they were very colorful compared to these crappy robots so I enjoyed them more.

They never got Sonic but hey it was fun to watch. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Sally Acorn. I kind of thought she was a dumb partner for Sonic for some reason. I think it was because she was a different animal or something...I don't know. I recently watched some of the old SatAM cartoons and I actually enjoyed watching her and Sonic argue. I can't remember why I didn't like her.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Big the Cat for sure. I used to hate him because I always thought he was stupid and dumb looking, But now I think he's cute. I loved his role in Sonic Chronicles, he was hilarious! I even own an SA1 Big plushie. :D

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Frankly, I'd have to say Tikal. Its not really that I hated her, before. I was just indifferent with her. I kinda was interested in her character for a while, but as I started seeing how others portrayed her, I started liking her more, and I looked back to her original role and she basically just kept on growing on me for an extensive period of time. Before Tikal came into the picture (NOT before her first appearance...) my top characters were Shadow, Espio, Knuckles, Silver, and Jet. Tikal currently resides in first place on my list of characters, though. Yes, she's even topped Shadow now. But he's still my second fav. ^^

Now, on that note, I'd like to compare. I obviously liked the Sonic series from the start, but when Tails came into the picture, I preferred him because of his flying ability (my first game was actually Sonic 3, though I did watch the cartoons when I was younger). Knuckles instantly popped into first when he came around. When I played SA2, Shadow instantly popped into first. Later on, when playing Sonic Heroes, Espio popped ahead of Knuckles, and so on for Silver and Jet (though frankly, more recently I'm starting to have more interest in Blaze and Wave, respectively). Tikal's the only one who had a gradual increase in my interests for my top characters, though (but you could add onto that and reference Blaze and Wave in that case... for Blaze, I simply didn't know much about her initially because I never got a chance to see much about her; I was able to watch cutscenes of Sonic '06 online, and for Wave, my interest in her personality crept up when writing my fanfictions).

So, yeah, here's some I'd have to mention...

Tikal the Echidna

Blaze the Cat

Wave the Swallow

Amy Rose (yes, her too...)

Chaos Zero (kinda...)

Cream the Rabbit (I don't hate her anymore)

Charmy Bee (same as with Cream)

Now, for the one you've all been waiting for...

Big the Cat?

Nope. I still hate him. Sonic Chronicles only made me hate him slightly less.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can I do the opposite of the topic and mention the character(S) I liked at one time but now hate?

Perhapes you should make a separate topic about it?

• Thumbs Up 1

Can I do the opposite of the topic and mention the character(S) I liked at one time but now hate?

Knowing this sites history on character hating topics of any kind, that wouldn't be a good idea unless you want chaos to ensue. That, and we've had millions of those topics before the old SSMB got wiped, and we've had a few new ones since.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Yeah, I thought that was a cool idea.

Glad we agree.^^

Anyway... mine's Silver! I guess he just seems cute and I seem to find people with weird tastes (clothes, haircuts) more interesting even if it drives most people away.

Variety tends to be a plus.^^

• Thumbs Up 1

The two that have grown the most on me:

Cream- For some reason I started to like her a bit in Sonic Battle after seeing how she helped Emerl understand more about emotions (Emerl=Awesome). Then, after the Character improvement topic, I started to appreciate her more. She's grown on me, I must say.

Amy- At first I jumped on the bandwagon and thought she was just an annoying stalker. But now, I see how much she adds to the series!

Other honourable mentions are Knuckles (I didn't dislike him, I just thought he was stupid for a while), Shadow (at first glance he seemed so cliche... I guess that's the word for it, but now I like him), and even Sonic (weird, huh? I used to see him as... well, I guess as inSONICnia shows him, and before that I just wasn't into the franchise)!

There have been no characters that I once hated but now love, as I have no love to give those who I hate, be them Big the Cat, Knuckles, or even Cream.

Why? Because those three characters have pissed me off from the start; Cream's yapping-dog voice, and the fact that she seems to be Amy's simpering little pet rabbit, and only implanted into the series because Chronic Zeroes wouldn't have worked without YET ANOTHER pointless and unoriginal character.

Big is just a thick douche; call me mean, but I find great joy in deriding the mentally disabled (E.G: retards, dumbasses etc.), and that damn cat is no exception to the rule - believe me, if I was a lead designer at Sega, then he would have been sent pottering idiotically down the nearest cliff... with no 1Up capsules!

Knuckles has been useless since Sonic Adventure 2; though he played a huge part in the storyline of that game, the position of "main rival of main character" was swiftly awarded to a character who better deserved it: none other than Shadow the Hedgehog. In addition, he seems to spend an annoyingly large amount of time away from the Master Emerald (and therefore spends an annoyingly large amount of time in the games); though he is quick to remind everyone of his designated position of "guardian", Knuckles is usually found sucking up to not only his former rival, but also hanging about with Tails - why, when he enjoys to loudly proclaim that he is super-strong and has no time for pipsqueaks, would he hang out with TAILS of all people? All in all, his storyline is badly broken, and the element of mystery that once surrounded him is now but a faint echo in the wind...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Sally Alicia Acorn.

I hated her. And I hated her because I thought she was a useless bitch and I was a Son/Amy lover. Son/Amy people tend to hate Sally. Even when I got over my Son/Amy craze I still thought she was weak and useless.

However, I was wrong.

I took up reading the comic from issue one and realized that Sally is STRONG, DEEP, and she is NOT unable to defend herself. I still say she's a bitch, but she has to be as a princess.

But I still love Amy more. :lol:

• Thumbs Up 2