Awoo.

Characters that grew on you.

Crystal Kingfisher

Big the Cat. Definitely. Sonic Adventure portrayed him so shallow that rendered him to be but shallow and annoying. Then, Sonic Chronicles came along and fixed all that. Made him somewhat more smarter, but a more fun personality that makes me laugh on occasions.

Next up, Dr. Eggman. I never hated the guy; I just thought he was just a generic scientist character. But, as time went on, I saw him a different light. He's by far the most consistent character of the series - his child-like, but intelligent personality endeared through the series even through its worse. Plus, he makes all sort of gadgets that are pretty neat and colorful. Much more entertaining than his SATAM portrayal, in my opinion. I just...wish he wasn't pwned by the Monster of the Year/Week/Day.

Then there's Marine the Racoon. First, it was "Oh, great. Another furry in the zoo...". Then, I find myself laughing at her antics. Sometimes I'd wish they'd switch Cream with her. lol

For Shadow, I had the opposite effect, and grew to dislike his character as the series continued using him.

I think that's it for me.

• Thumbs Up 2

To be honest, I never liked the Chaotix at all. But it was a baseless dislike, I guess mostly their designs put me off, despite being a sucker for reptiles. But when they were re-introduced in Sonic Heroes, suddenly their designs looked much better to me, and they had awesome personalities. I began to love them more than most of the other characters.

I never really had any amount of dislike for Dr. Robotnik. I liked him, but he was definitely not one of my favorites. But after being on this forum for a while, a certain member here kinda had really insightful things to say about Eggman that made him jump to number 2 on my favorites list... that and his behavior in Sonic Unleahed.

I started off neutral to most characters, so my resulting distaste for them was based on experience.

Chip I thought was becoming moderately interesting around the middle of Unleashed. Then his back story was revealed and any chance of redeemability went out the window.

I gave Shadow his chance, but his very first line (and then all the other lines after that as well) sounded like something a fourth grader would say about something they made up. Yeah, no.

Silver's a funny case, I don't like the version Sega ended up deciding upon. Any affection I have for him is the result of these two concept images:

Silverearltproto.jpg

Silverlateproto.jpg

Interestingly, I didn't like his theme at first, but it grew on me a bit. I still think his back story is pretty weak.

Pachacamac certainly grew on me. To begin with he was simply an old guy with a spear who is swiftly forgotten. But thinking about him much, much later: he slaughters chao and kerbstomps his own daughter on a selfish quest for the Emerald's power. His attack on the Emerald shrine is arguably the most important single event in the history of Sonic's world that we know about so far; all caused by an embittered, belligerant old man who's more than willing to swat family members out of the way if they try reasoning with him using any of their hippie pacifism crap. What's not to like?

Also: Cream. What remained for a long time as vague distaste for another unneeded character changed remarkably when (simply to match up with ShtH's Cryptic Castle level) I had to write her into one of my fanfics. Only then did I realise that there's actually a lot of cool story potential there.

(At least, if Sega were as willing as I am to include defenceless children getting shot in their plots.) ;)

The last character who grew on me? Chip, definetly Chip....

In a beggining I first saw him while playing Sonic Unleashed and said "Great, here comes Omochao 2.0"

But as the story moved on,I started to like the little guy's antic. Unlike many other characters he was nice to look at. And yeah his plot twist was expected from a mile away, but why bother in getting angry for such ridiculous plot twist? I even liked that after the "revelation" he still acted goof and cheerfully.

Oh, another character? Caliburn. His Voice KICKED ASS. Also "Knive the Hedgehog" XD

Why does the decent characters are designed for just one game while crappy characters like Cream survives for more games?

Edited by Viku

And yeah his plot twist was expected from a mile away, but why bother in getting angry for such ridiculous plot twist? I even liked that after the "revelation" he still acted goof and cheerfully.

I'm going to assume this was directed at me. It basically seemed as though a page from Sonic 06's script was accidentally slipped into SU's script. It was yet another deity in a franchise that I think should have exactly zero. I also just made up the description "third degree don't give a fuck" to describe him. Basically, Chip is there because Dark Gaia is there to explain the Werehog who is there just to pad Unleashed's length.

I kind of liked his antics the first time through, but as I said before, I was basically delusional then. Seeing them a second time, they were exceptionally corny.

And I don't like his design. It's not like it's bad, but it's just there. I get the impression the designer didn't have any clear direction when it came to what he was supposed to look like, like early airplane builders.

Oh, another character? Caliburn. His Voice KICKED ASS. Also "Knive the Hedgehog" XD

Why does the decent characters are designed for just one game while crappy characters like Cream survives for more games?

I don't know what to make of Caliburn. When I first heard that Sonic's sword was going to talk, my reaction was essentially "As if it wasn't bad enough that he has one in the first place!" It was kind of funny how Sonic didn't seem to like the idea of "Sonic with a sword."

His banter is decent, but I've heard far better, in other words, Psychonauts.

I used to hate Tails a lot. I remember playing Sonic 2 with my friend and I always Tails. I really hated that and I always wanted to be Sonic. Then over time, Tails became my favorite character over time.

Eggman is another one. I just thought that he was just the last guy you had to face and then that's it. I never really gave him that much thought. Then I read more about him recently and now I like him. He is the epitome of a villain, in my opinion.

Jet the Hawk for me. I literally turned down the volume on the cut scenes in Sonic Riders because of his voice (And Sonic's) I hated the air mechanic in that game too which didn't help. Then Zero Gravity came around and I actually bought it because I thought it was a much better game in many aspects. Jason Griffith by that time was improving and Jet's voice didn't bother me as much. I actually liked the character in ZG. I'm still mostly indifferent to Wave and Storm though.

I used to dislike Amy and Rouge, but I see now how they became more useful as female characters over time and made a difference tot he characters they developed from. Now I see them as better characters than Mary Sue Blaze.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 2

I used to hate Knuckles but he is now my third favourite character. He has been more developed into a major character instead of a minor one. He has a lot more gameplay now than he used to. But he is still gulible.

I didnt Like Big at first. Not that I despised Him at first but His Gameplay in SA1 I found annoying. Sonic Heroes Made me Like Him some More, Gameplay-wise. Then came along Sonic Chronicles, and while I probably missed some of his More Funny Dialog (I didn't played much with Him.) it still was amusing to me. He still isn't my Favourite Character but I like him.

and Hey, He was once voiced by Duke Nukem, so all of your arguments against him are Invalid[/Joke]

another one would be Eggman. Like Guybrush I never Hated him, but He was Just the "Bad Guy" to me, nothing more and When I was younger I never really cared for the Villains (except for Darth Vader). In recent Times However I grew to like Him alot more for his Comedic-Over-the-top-manner (What can I say.I Love Bad Guys That are Funny) and He became quickly one of My Favourite Characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Chaotix. When I first saw them in Heroes (at the time, I'd never heard of Knuckles' Chaotix) they seemed like annoying fan characters Sega decided to tack onto the game with no explanation. They seemed extremely pointless. But now I think they're all really interesting and amusing, and I'd love to see them in more games. Maybe even get a spinoff of their own someday.

The inverse happened with Shadow. He used to be my absolute favorite character, but now I just feel dislike/indifference toward him.

I'm going to have to go with Chip for this one.

When he first showed up in Unleashed I thought he was going to be annoying like Omochao or Tikal(to a certain extent). However as the game went on, I started to love his character as well as some of his phrases. Ya the plot twist was obvious, but yet he didn't loose his personality like most people do when their roles change.

I'd have to say Amy grew on me. As a kid, I disliked her purely for the fact she was a girl and girly. But then I suppose a lot of young boys are like that. I think it was around the time Sonic Adventure came out (i.e. when she actually started doing something) that I started to appreciate her as a character.

Also Rouge, although I never disliked her as such before, she just grew on me a bit more after Sonic Adventure 2.

Also Jet, I suppose. But he's an odd one. I never really hated him, and I still don't really like him too much, although I do a bit. I suppose it's gone from neutrality/ slight dislike to a slight like.

I didn't used to dislike Sonic but he definately didn't used to be my favourite. My adoration was saved solely for Knuckles and Sonic was just....there. Didn't especially like him but didn't hate him either. I can't put my finger on why I grew to love him so much over Knuckles. I suppose after Knuckles got less and less charismatic to me through his often portrayal as a village idiot, Sonic began to appear more and more charismatic and now I think his characterization is genius, ESPECIALLY in SatBK. There's just something mysterious about Sonic that commands my full respect that even in my old adoration of Knuckles could never top at any point.

I never really liked Big, but I think I've grown fond of him as a concept. It's just a cool, funny idea to have someone so slow, wide and passive in a game centered around speed (and platforming, I know.). Contrast makes both extremes seem more extreme by comparison, and it adds depth to show that things can be accomplished by means other than speed, wit and agility. To a lesser extent, the same is true for the werehog (although I still say that idea could have been handled differently.)

I'll have to go with Sally, when I first watched SatAM I used to hate her, I thought she was a moody bitch who was mean to Sonic, and at the time I was jealous of her and Sonic's friendship, how they'd flirt with each other and such. From 2006 onwards Sally suddenly just grew on me and now she happens to be my 2nd favourite character and I happen to love SonicXSally. Strangely I started to become a Sally fan immediately after I read this awesome SonicXSally fanfic.

Most ‘new’ Sonic characters to come along that I hate I’ve never changed my mind about. I liked Rouge and Blaze from the start and I’ve got all the time in the world for SA2’s portrayal of Shadow. The rest of the newbies I can barely tolerate or outright despise.

The only Sonic characters I’ve ever done the full 180 on are Eggman and Knuckles.

Remember, in the Genesis days Eggman was evil! I died so many times in some boss fights that I genuinely hated the guy. It’s only over time since he’s developed more of a character that I actually enjoy him as one of my favourite characters, second only to Sonic.

The other is Knuckles. I remember when he pressed the button collapsing the bridge sending me plummating to Hydrocity. I remember when he turned out the lights in Carnival Night. I cackled like a madman when he fell into the sea towards the end of Launch Base. Only at the Hidden Palace after finally laying the smackdown on him did he get some sympathy when Eggman nicked off with the Master Emereald, electrocuting the Echidna in the process. As soon as Knuckles helped me to sky sanctuary the hate was gone.

Edited by Paul Street

I'll have to go with Sally, when I first watched SatAM I used to hate her, I thought she was a moody bitch who was mean to Sonic, and at the time I was jealous of her and Sonic's friendship, how they'd flirt with each other and such. From 2006 onwards Sally suddenly just grew on me and now she happens to be my 2nd favourite character and I happen to love SonicXSally. Strangely I started to become a Sally fan immediately after I read this awesome SonicXSally fanfic.

I'm always in the mood for a good storeh. What's the name of this fanfic?

Dr. Eggman.

I never really hated the guy, but I certainly under appreciated him for who he was. Quite frankly, reading El Gran Gordo/Dr. Mechano's posts on Eggman during my time here at SSMB has enlightened me to a well developed and lovely character.

I second this.

Also Amy. I used to hate her with a burning passion, then I replayed Sonic's story in 06. Elise can go die in a fire. At least Amy actually tried to defend Sonic, and not get kidnapped FIVE TIMES IN ONE FREAKIN EPISODE.

• Thumbs Up 2

HOLAS:

i used to hate big the cat till i started watching more deeply into his story and realized he was just like me xD

another one who grew on me was chip, i facepalmed a lot when i saw his picture... but now i just gotta love that cute fairy chihuaha demigod with unlimited supply of chocolate (and i don't like chocolate)...

i'm also going to jump in the "i never cared about eggamn but now is one of my favourite characters" bandwagon :P

Edited by imarafan

I know I'm going to get some stick for this, so before burning me at the stake hear me out:

Princess Elise.

I wouldn't say I liked her and I certainly wouldn't say I want her to return in another game but I don't hate her. When I first played Sonic 06 she drove me up the wall. All she did was get kidnapped, she was useless at defending herself, she had no redeeming qualitites.

However, over time I've come to garner some respect for her actions. When Eggman threatens to bring harm to Soleanna, she gives herself up to protect her people.

She promised to fulfill her father's wish by never crying even though there are many times she wants to.

It appears she spent most of her life locked away in her castle in the middle of the sea probably resulting in her being very lonely, so it's no surprise she attatches herself to Sonic.

She sacrifices her memories of Sonic in order to be the strong princess her father asked her to be, by blowing out the flame.

There are still many things I dislike about her but she has grown on me a little over time.

Edited by CreamyBagel
  • Thumbs Up 1

I used to dislike Amy and Rouge, but I see now how they became more useful as female characters over time and made a difference tot he characters they developed from. Now I see them as better characters than Mary Sue Blaze.

Why do you think Blaze is a Mary Sue?O_o Are you referring to her fighting ability?

I know I'm going to get some stick for this, so before burning me at the stake hear me out:

Princess Elise.

I wouldn't say I liked her and I certainly wouldn't say I want her to return in another game but I don't hate her. When I first played Sonic 06 she drove me up the wall. All she did was get kidnapped, she was useless at defending herself, she had no redeeming qualitites.

However, over time I've come to garner some respect for her actions. When Eggman threatens to bring harm to Soleanna, she gives herself up to preotect her people.

She promised to fulfill her father's wish by never crying even though there are many times she wants to.

It appears she spent most of her life locked away in her castle in the middle of the sea proabably resulting in her being very lonely, so it's no surprise she attatches herself to Sonic.

She sacrifices her memories of Sonic in order to be the strong princess her father asked her to be, by blowing out the flame.

There are still many things I dislike about her but she has grown on me a little over time.

I guess Elise's role made a lot of sense in the context of her own story, even if she doesn't fit too well with the tone of the rest of the series.

I don’t know about Elise. Even the writers found a way to write her out of the story for good at the end of the game. I’ll be glad if Sonic never breaths her name again.