Awoo.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS4 & PS5)

Sonictrainer

I was expecting a Lost Legacy/First Light style shorter release for $40. I'd rather it be that then have the majority of the content be the original game.

I couldn't care less if it's stand alone or not... Looks really amazing. If it's as fun as the base game, I'm happy enough. If it prepares the ground for the real sequel, even cooler. It'd be great if owners of the PS4 Spider-man get the "remaster" for free on PS5 and only have to buy the Miles expansion.

“Despite a Sony executives clarification, here’s a clarification on that clarification” is Sony run by monkeys?

After the ending of the original game I was really hoping we'd be getting a "Spider-Man 2" sequel in 4/5 years time after the release of the first game (in 2018) with playable Miles & Parker as Spider-men. Instead we're getting a new standalone game only 2 years later and by the sound of it only Miles will be playable.

The first game (aside from the odd flaw here and there) was excellent and Insomniac are more than capable of releasing frequent new games (like they used to with Ratchet & Clank and Spyro) whilst maintaining high quality. That said, releasing another game so quickly was certainly unexpected. Just how big will this game be compared to the original? Could this become a regular thing-Insomniac releasing a new Spider-Man game every 2 years? Miles being playable is a big deal and he deserves to have a full-length game (like the original) and the chance to be playable in one of the best super-hero games ever made. Insomniac please don't fuck this up.

With the clarification I'm back to being excited again. This might be what pushes me to be an early adopter for the system.

I'm hoping they can go in a different direction with the soundtrack. The orchestral themes for the original are quite dull and I associate Miles with a more grungy, urban hip hop/pop sound thanks to Spiderverse.

A Jaden Smith song plays in the trailer so I'm hoping they commit to that sound.

• Thumbs Up 1

My curiosity lies in if they'll aim more for the comics, or for Miles' Spider-Verse incarnation. Spider-Verse practically reinvented Miles as a character for the better (due to Homecoming Peter taking more or less all of Miles' usual character traits). However. a lot of people - including myself - find Miles to be more unique, and far more likeable in Spiderverse, compared to Bendis' run on him in the comics.

I can only assume we'll end up seeing The Prowler in the game as well, since he's the only villain off the top of my head that would share a strong connection to Miles, as Doc Ock did for Peter. However, again the question arises is if they'd lean more towards the comic version of Aaron, who was a absolute scumbag who manipulated and blackmailed Miles into helping him with crimes, or if they'd use the Spiderverse version, where Aaron was more relatable, and much more chill - and cared far more about Miles, being the one to give him the encouragement to find his own style, and become his own hero.

Kinda hope Insomniac just stick to what they were doing with Miles in the original game and evolve his character naturally rather than feeling the need to kowtow to Into the Spider-Verse just because a lot of people love it. The original game was really cool because it was a fresh take for a new universe and it'd be a bummer for an incarnation released following the creation of it to suddenly divert things.

• Thumbs Up 2

Spider verse is the most well known version of Miles at the moment, so taking inspiration from that isn't going to be too out of nowhere.

• Thumbs Up 2

I could definitely see them adding some points of characterization from Spider-Verse, like Miles' artistic side. I liked him well enough in the game but there's definitely some room to add some stuff for character development. This got me thinking actually, I'm curious how much time has passed since the first game here...

One bit of inspiration from the comics/ITSV I'd love to see is the very beginning of the game starting out with him wearing a costume like Peter's before switching to his own. If there's a time skip I think it'd be fun if they saved it for after a sequence like that, at least. Plus nice excuse for a tutorial, eh?

• Thumbs Up 3

This is gonna be awesome. As it's running on a enhanced version of the original engine I anticipate a PS4 release too. 

Imo they need to inject as much Spiderverse as they can put in. Miles's artistic side along with the street art aesthetic of Spider-Verse is one of my favorite additions to this character and one of my biggest hopes for this game is that we can go around tagging New York as Spider-Man on a side mission or something.

DvXLu6oV4AAa5VD.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Celestia said:

I could definitely see them adding some points of characterization from Spider-Verse, like Miles' artistic side. I liked him well enough in the game but there's definitely some room to add some stuff for character development. This got me thinking actually, I'm curious how much time has passed since the first game here...

One bit of inspiration from the comics/ITSV I'd love to see is the very beginning of the game starting out with him wearing a costume like Peter's before switching to his own. If there's a time skip I think it'd be fun if they saved it for after a sequence like that, at least. Plus nice excuse for a tutorial, eh?

I'd take a guess on somewhere between six months to a year following the original - IIRC - The City That Does Not Sleep's missions was around the very beginning of Peter's training of Miles.  

The arc throughout the DLC is Peter trying to get Miles to focus on his studies and real life, instead of thinking being Spider-Man immediately gives you a free pass to forget your life. The end of it has Miles acknowledge how important science and studies are, and he uses it to help Peter upgrade the web formula.

IIRC - The end of the DLC was the first time Peter teaches Miles how to web-swing.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/06/18/marvels-spider-man-miles-morales-an-update-from-insomniac-games/

An update from creative director Brian Horton!

As we continued with the Marvel’s Spider-Man universe, we knew that Miles’s origin story as a Spider-Man was something that needed its own game. Miles’s multicultural background reflects a more modern, diverse world and we wanted to give players a new story, with new set-pieces, fresh villains, and unique quests across Marvel’s New York City. This had to be a can’t-miss next adventure in the Marvel’s Spider-Man universe.

Let’s set the scene for the game a little more. It’s now wintertime, about a year after the events of the first game. Marvel’s New York is covered in snow, and just before Christmas break, a war between an energy corporation and a high-tech criminal army has broken out. Miles’s new home in Harlem is at the heart of the battle.

Other information confirmed:
- comparable to Uncharted: Lost Legacy in terms of length
- instant loading
- 3D audio
- ray tracing
- overhauled city

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, been playing a bit of the original one today and started to think. One of the main draws to the game was the sheer amount of costumes you can unlock, download and get for free. Now, I'm not overly familiar with Miles in the comics, does he have any snazzy costumes we should see in the game?

Also, please don't use Screwball again. Ever.

1 hour ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

So, been playing a bit of the original one today and started to think. One of the main draws to the game was the sheer amount of costumes you can unlock, download and get for free. Now, I'm not overly familiar with Miles in the comics, does he have any snazzy costumes we should see in the game?

Off the top of my head

• Spiderverse Miles
  • Halloween Costume (Spidey costume from Spiderverse)
  • Casual Miles (Miles in his regular outfit from the last game with one of the regular Spidey masks)

1 hour ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

The villainess or the costume?

21 minutes ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

The villainess or the costume?

I wouldn't call her a villainess. More a irritating child. But yes, was refering to her. Her missions sucked because of her obnoxious commentary and constant PHOTOBOMBS!! 

2 hours ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

EIiPhJSX0AAgWCK.jpg

Aside from all the Spider-Verse stuff first thing that came to mind was this alt cover

I know this wasn't Miles but hear me out.

spacer.png

Aaron Davis (Uncle Aaron aka the Prowler) rocked an Iron Spider outfit. How cool is that!?

Could also throw in a couple of Peter's unused-in-PS4 outfits to fatten up the selection a bit. Costumes from the OG Ultimate Spider-Man comic series and game in particular might be a good fit for Miles as a nod to his original universe and predecessor.

Hopefully the costumes are better this time. Last time, the only good ones were like the classic and Raimi suits. 

There will definitely be a Spider-Verse suit and I'll probably just use that and nothing else. Same as when I got the Raimi suit in the original