Awoo.

Resident Evil VIII-Age "WereWolves Are In Now!"

Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon

So, today we were hit with the reveal of Resident Evil 8, or Resident Evil Village (because Capcom love their roman numeral puns).

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KHCast

• Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon

• Graystripe2000

• Multikaris

Shown present is a form. Bit hard to tell if the gameplay is first-person and/or third person.

Chris Redfield is back and thankfully rocking a design more akin to his looks in RE5 and 6 rather than whatever the hell they were trying to pass off as Chris in Resident Evil 7.

A lot of what we see matches up with what was showcased in the leaks.

When I learned there were werewolves this time, I was like "What's next? Vampires? Ghosts? They might as well make this a new Ghouls n' Ghosts." But on the other hand, I do like the addition of even more kinds of monster to RE. I wonder if there will ever be a proper crossover with Dead Rising in the future? That would actually be a good way to revive Dead Rising, much like how Final Fight characters are woven into Street Fighter. 

"His story comes to a close." I wonder if they're trying a finale like with Megaman X5?

36 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

When I learned there were werewolves this time, I was like "What's next? Vampires? Ghosts? They might as well make this a new Ghouls n' Ghosts." But on the other hand, I do like the addition of even more kinds of monster to RE. I wonder if there will ever be a proper crossover with Dead Rising in the future? That would actually be a good way to revive Dead Rising, much like how Final Fight characters are woven into Street Fighter. 

"His story comes to a close." I wonder if they're trying a finale like with Megaman X5?

For Ethan, probably. Likely not the franchise as a whole.

43 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

When I learned there were werewolves this time, I was like "What's next? Vampires? Ghosts?

RE4 was initially gonna have ghosts actually lol. So maybe. 

anyway, I’m interested. Fuckin hate Ethan so him being back is bleh, but the game itself looks like a more fleshed out and polished 7 now that they have a better handle of the RE engine. I’m very much looking forward to this. Also happy about my boy Chris looking like his old self again...well visually, narratively he’s seemingly going rogue which I’m good with

unless the rumor about him just being a hallucination by Ethan is true (which funnily enough, again RE4 initially was gonna use that plot gimmick I believe to justify ghosts and shit)

One of the screenshots shows the inventory and the currency of "100 Lei". 

That's the Romanian/Moldavian currency, if anyone wondered.

I'm not sure how to feel about a Resident Evil game taking place in the country I live in (assuming it's Romania and not Moldavia), but I suppose it will be fun to see.

Is it fair to say Ethan is just an unlucky Outlast protagonist that found his way into the RE series? It’s just so weird going from two of arguably the best characters, RE3R Jill and Carlos, who were fun and hammy as fuck, to Ethan, who looks like he’s gonna once again play everything straight and experience body horror after body horror moment. Then again, that’s been the RE series 6 so, I guess it’s not too shocking, but still.

Also, watching this trailer again and again makes me think, if RE4R is legit happening, I definitely am expecting it to acknowledge 8 and vice versa there’s so many thematic and visual similarities and 8 between the two.

On 6/12/2020 at 2:10 AM, KHCast said:

Also, watching this trailer again and again makes me think, if RE4R is legit happening, I definitely am expecting it to acknowledge 8 and vice versa there’s so many thematic and visual similarities and 8 between the two.

Wouldn't be surprised if RE4R reused some assets from this game. When I saw the castle and town parts in the trailer my mind immediately thought of the Ganados. 

That'd be a nice way to tie both styles of games I think. While this game looks great, I have a bit of a personal gripe with how different Resident Evil 2/3 Remakes and RE7/8 feel. Getting all four titles so close to each other doesn't help with that feeling of... Disconnection I guess, I don't know how to call it. 

1 hour ago, Blue Wisp said:

While this game looks great, I have a bit of a personal gripe with how different Resident Evil 2/3 Remakes and RE7/8 feel. Getting all four titles so close to each other doesn't help with that feeling of... Disconnection I guess, I don't know how to call it. 

No I definitely get what you mean. There definitely seems to be a very blatant tonal/atmospheric difference between 7/8 and 2/3R despite them sharing the same graphics engine. It’s definitely strange especially when these games released so close to eachother...maybe it’s due to different teams working on these? Or maybe it’s cause 7/8 are technically still part of the “main” universe and it’s building off 6 which made it clear it wanted to be more serious and dark vs hammy, whereas 2 and 3 Remake while not only being Remakes of pre existing titles, are apart of their own separate universe? Just spitballing there of course.

despite that tho, it’s weird, I still very much see all these as feeling very much still like core Resident Evil experiences when playing them despite how different they are when placed next to eachother. They just interpret certain things a bit differently. That said, I’ll probably always, mechanically, prefer my RE in the style we’ve gotten since 4 vs first person if I had to choose. I just think there’s a lot more to do with that style and it allows for more opportunities to incentivize replayability. The first person method, by design, is more narrative centered vs mechanic/gameplay based. Like it’s still fun and mechanically solid yes, but the game is a lot more limiting in how you approach and do shit and isn’t designed the same way say RE4 is, with multiple different guns, costumes, etc to acquire to spice up each new playthrough. Then there’s stuff like multiplayer which, I just can’t see working well in the 7/8 style. 

At least that’s all going off 7 only. 8 might prove me wrong here.

If 8 really is the "End of" Ethan's "Story ", then perhaps that would mean that the next RE game would go back to third person.

I can't shake the feeling that a lot of the reason why games starring Ethan are first person is because it's Capcom's way of making a link type of character that you're supposed to feel like you are.

Not that it excuses the blandness of Ethan as a character.

Speculation seems to leaning more towards the latter rather than the former. 

Considering the cover art is of Chris, and the games slogan is “the end of his story” idk, could go either way I guess 

8 hours ago, KHCast said:

Considering the cover art is of Chris, and the games slogan is “the end of his story” idk, could go either way I guess 

Pretty much.

Though it would kind of be wierd to give Chris a major send-off in a game where you probably won't get to play as him.

And knowing Capcom's track record with iconic protagonists versus new hip ones, they aren't likely to be getting rid of Chris any time soon.

Especially since reception to Ethan as a character has been overall naff.

Can't wait for this! I've played the series since '97 and to finally see a conclusion to Chris's story is gonna be good.

On 6/11/2020 at 6:34 PM, KHCast said:

RE4 was initially gonna have ghosts actually lol. So maybe. 

anyway, I’m interested. Fuckin hate Ethan so him being back is bleh, but the game itself looks like a more fleshed out and polished 7 now that they have a better handle of the RE engine. I’m very much looking forward to this. Also happy about my boy Chris looking like his old self again...well visually, narratively he’s seemingly going rogue which I’m good with

Reveal hidden contents

unless the rumor about him just being a hallucination by Ethan is true (which funnily enough, again RE4 initially was gonna use that plot gimmick I believe to justify ghosts and shit)

Where did that rumor come from, exactly?

The same person that initially leaked REVillage said that I believe, or alluded to that as a possibility 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
15 hours ago, KHCast said:

The. game. Doesn’t. Even. Have. A. Release. Date

DID they get leaked in that big Capcom dump or is this a completely different leak?

• 4 months later...

So playing the game. (Didn’t play any of the demos) Wow, I thought it was just aesthetically aping off of RE4, buuut yeah, let’s just say this is making me question even more why Capcom is making a RE4 Remake. This is certainly a enjoyable time. However the whole lycon/werewolf stuff feels pretty aesthetic ngl since they feel pretty damn similar to most of the zombies/Plagas enemies we’ve faced before. Will have more thoughts later 

Ada was apparently supposed to be in the game 

Well shit. Ada gets done dirty so much, this would have been great